Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,645Posts
    • 17,246Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 238
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 7,465 Thanks
    Farway
    PN Tomato juice is like the stuff out of tinned toms, depending on quality of course. I do not buy it as such but do use the thick juice from the tins. It goes well, cold from 'fridge, with Worcester sauce

Airfyers, I have one and love it but probably will not replace when it breaks. May not suit you given your "things" about fire / electricity etc. Not to be left unattended, which is same as deep fat fryer or any pan on the hob of course

Hot wilting here, had to pop out this morning on emergency buy in. Grandchildren were coming over for Father's day, and I wanted to get some biscuits etc in. I never have then in the house, 'cos greedy guts scoffs them once opened

Nil breakfast as per normal
    Lunch was last of the bake yourself baguette & bangers, in sort of jumbo hot dog, but far nicer

Dinner was going to be a baked spud / cheese filling with salad. But it is melting and just too hot to have an oven on. I could nuke the spud but it is just not the same taste / texture to me, thus it will be cheese salady sarnies, with maybe toast & ginger marmalade later if peckish

Only garden effort was a bit of watering and looking at the ripening cherries, I can actually smell them now when near the tree, must be ready to chomp any day now
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,246 Thanks
    caronc
    I've never had tomato juice as a drink. I've been aware of it forever ... but never seen anybody drink any - and the idea grosses me out as I'd imagine it'd be like opening a tin of tomatoes and drinking the juice in that. Is that what it's like? If so, ewwwwwwwwwwww.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I suppose it is but thicker, I do like it with some pepper and a dash of Lea & Perrins or as is our family tradition as "Bloody Mary" on Christmas Eve, for a number of years Christmas starts for us at 6pm on Christmas Eve with a jug of Bloody Marys followed by steak and baked potatoes. It is very "savoury" though which I prefer to sweet. The current carton is a LO from Christmas which I found hiding in a cupboard along with a carton of orange juice and one of cranberry so I'll work my way through them.
    PN Tomato juice is like the stuff out of tinned toms, depending on quality of course. I do not buy it as such but do use the thick juice from the tins. It goes well, cold from 'fridge, with Worcester sauce

Airfyers, I have one and love it but probably will not replace when it breaks. May not suit you given your "things" about fire / electricity etc. Not to be left unattended, which is same as deep fat fryer or any pan on the hob of course

Hot wilting here, had to pop out this morning on emergency buy in. Grandchildren were coming over for Father's day, and I wanted to get some biscuits etc in. I never have then in the house, 'cos greedy guts scoffs them once opened

Nil breakfast as per normal
    Lunch was last of the bake yourself baguette & bangers, in sort of jumbo hot dog, but far nicer

Dinner was going to be a baked spud / cheese filling with salad. But it is melting and just too hot to have an oven on. I could nuke the spud but it is just not the same taste / texture to me, thus it will be cheese salady sarnies, with maybe toast & ginger marmalade later if peckish

Only garden effort was a bit of watering and looking at the ripening cherries, I can actually smell them now when near the tree, must be ready to chomp any day now
    Originally posted by Farway
    Oh fresh cherries lucky you , one my favourite fruits but they are so expensive in the SM that they are a rare treat

I've ended up taking a piece of steak out for tonight which I'll have with steamed charlottes, green beans and a mushroom/red wine sauce . It's been lovely and sunny here this afternoon and got quite hot (though only about 19C in the sun) for a bit but is cooling now. My Dad gave some marigolds from his garden to replace my ones that got munched so now that bit of the garen's not in full sun I'll get them planted and make sure they are well sprinkled with slug killer.
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 60,742 Posts
    • 355,035 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It was too hot to contemplate leaving the house - as I had no masterplan.

Lunch was the other half of the pizza I bought yesterday, it was as tasty as yesterday

I'm glad I bought the choc ices yesterday, four eaten since they entered the house.

I've also eaten a jam sandwich (didn't want to eat the sandwiches I'd made in case I went out ....in case I went out). Then I realised I wasn't going out, so ate the cheese/pickle sandwich (least interesting one).

Still three rounds of sandwiches made up ...

Yesterday I randomly boiled 3 eggs and mixed with salad cream and then potted up in case I fancied an egg/salad cream sandwich, but I haven't done, so that needs using up in the next day or so. I boiled the eggs intending to keep them in the fridge in their shells ... but in the event I half boiled them and forgot I'd done that, so an hour or so later I did them a bit more, hoping it'd be OK... so then I had to break them open to check/smell that half cooking them and leaving them an hour and then finishing cooking them hadn't done something nasty ...so then I had to mash them up really.

Loving this 45p loaf compared to the 36p loaf ... I might convert, I can afford an extra 9p a fortnight
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 18-06-2017 at 5:20 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 18th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    I suppose it is but thicker, I do like it with some pepper and a dash of Lea & Perrins or as is our family tradition as "Bloody Mary" on Christmas Eve, for a number of years Christmas starts for us at 6pm on Christmas Eve with a jug of Bloody Marys followed by steak and baked potatoes. It is very "savoury" though which I prefer to sweet. The current carton is a LO from Christmas which I found hiding in a cupboard along with a carton of orange juice and one of cranberry so I'll work my way through them.

Oh fresh cherries lucky you , one my favourite fruits but they are so expensive in the SM that they are a rare treat

I've ended up taking a piece of steak out for tonight which I'll have with steamed charlottes, green beans and a mushroom/red wine sauce . It's been lovely and sunny here this afternoon and got quite hot (though only about 19C in the sun) for a bit but is cooling now. My Dad gave some marigolds from his garden to replace my ones that got munched so now that bit of the garen's not in full sun I'll get them planted and make sure they are well sprinkled with slug killer.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Iceland have 250g Cherries as their 7 day deal £1 really big and juicy. Think deals on til Tuesday.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,246 Thanks
    caronc
    Loving this 45p loaf compared to the 36p loaf ... I might convert, I can afford an extra 9p a fortnight
    Sometimes that little bit extra is so worth it....
    Iceland have 250g Cherries as their 7 day deal £1 really big and juicy. Think deals on til Tuesday.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Thanks just wish I had a way of getting to one still hopefully that will mean the other SMs will soon follow suit
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 11,842 Thanks
    karcher
    I've never had tomato juice as a drink. I've been aware of it forever ... but never seen anybody drink any - and the idea grosses me out as I'd imagine it'd be like opening a tin of tomatoes and drinking the juice in that. Is that what it's like? If so, ewwwwwwwwwwww.
    I only drink it with vodka, a squeeze of lemon, a glug of Lee & Perrins, a splash of Tabasco and a grind of black pepper

Can't beat a well made Bloody Mary

ETA just as good without the vodka if alcohol isn't your thing
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,246 Thanks
    caronc
    I only drink it with vodka, a squeeze of lemon, a glug of Lee & Perrins, a splash of Tabasco and a grind of black pepper

Can't beat a well made Bloody Mary

ETA just as good without the vodka if alcohol isn't your thing
    Originally posted by karcher
    With you on this one though lots of ice in the ones I make - a pinch of celery salt is a nice addition...... I'm not a cocktail fan but a good Bloody Mary, a G&T (Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire please) or a "dirty" martini and I can be persuaded otherwise
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 11,842 Thanks
    karcher
    With you on this one though lots of ice in the ones I make - a pinch of celery salt is a nice addition...... I'm not a cocktail fan but a good Bloody Mary, a G&T (Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire please) or a "dirty" martini and I can be persuaded otherwise
    Originally posted by caronc
    Oh yes a cube of ice: maximum two though, as you don't want to dilute the flavour

Ideally the Vodka will have been in the freezer and the tomato juice in the fridge...so cold enough already methinks

Agree with the Bombay Sapphire G&T, poured over a slice and some ice

(Not that I'm an expert or indulge in such things often..... mores the pity! )
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,246 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh yes a cube of ice: maximum two though, as you don't want to dilute the flavour

Ideally the Vodka will have been in the freezer and the tomato juice in the fridge...so cold enough already methinks

Agree with the Bombay Sapphire G&T, poured over a slice and some ice

(Not that I'm an expert or indulge in such things often..... mores the pity! )
    Originally posted by karcher
    TBH me neither but do enjoy when I do. G&T - ice and slice is hard to beat but a couple of slices of cucumber works well too. I freeze lemon and lime slices as I find it hard to use them up and they work well in drinks
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 60,742 Posts
    • 355,035 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't bother drinking. I've never had a cocktail and haven't tried many drinks. If I popped round and you asked "would you like a G&T?" I'd say yes - although I've not had one for about 40 years .. because, while it's a nice enough drink, I'd only fancy/want one a year so there's no point buying a whole bottle.

I am also the only driver, ever .... so I need to remain sober in case I want/need to drive anywhere. Therefore, I don't bother drinking booze.

Even Xmas Day I had Schloer apple juice because there's no way I could drink a whole bottle of anything, even if it was Xmas!
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning all,

My cousin and his wife are going to London today to stay with friends so today will be my last day of not cooking for a while. I am meeting my cousin for lunch before they go, so that will be my main meal for the day I will have a cheese and salad sandwich if I want anything else to eat later.

I need to get myself some breakfast, and I am just going to have a Greek yoghurt and some berries because it is easy.

I haven't eaten at home at all since they arrived and now have a lot of salad bits and some veg that needs eating up - story of my life.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Gin? Noooooooooo, having got drunk as a skunk on this over 50 years ago. Lol parents away, teenage party, havent touched it since, cannot bear the smell even.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 57,169 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Can I join you.....

Now that my son has more or less moved out I will be pretty much cooking for one.

I will go back to the beginning of the thread and learn all your tips and wheezes.

I have already done a kitchen declutter and am currently working my way through the food stash. I am trying to lose weight and eat for health so try to avoid too many starchy carbs. So things like dried pasta, rice, cereals etc will only get used when my kids come to visit.

I was thinking about getting a mini oven for my solo meals and save the big oven for family gatherings. I won't be using it for baking etc.

Anyway DS2 will be her for dinner tonight, not sure what we are having but as it's going to be a scorcher, probably something with a salad.

Although I have loved living with my son and enjoyed cooking for him it will be nice to see the food bill go down.......
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Having been up since 4am and made a start on my declutter I have four carrier bags of books and clothes and five large zigsaws to take to CS.

Had my breakfast ys banana , raspberries out of garden and yogurt and umpteen coffees.

Cant use my bus pass till 9.30 to go to CS so killing time on here. I need to take it as I do it to have space to sort some more.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,981 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hello, Lesson Learned
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Can I join you.....

Now that my son has more or less moved out I will be pretty much cooking for one.

I will go back to the beginning of the thread and learn all your tips and wheezes.

I have already done a kitchen declutter and am currently working my way through the food stash. I am trying to lose weight and eat for health so try to avoid too many starchy carbs. So things like dried pasta, rice, cereals etc will only get used when my kids come to visit.

I was thinking about getting a mini oven for my solo meals and save the big oven for family gatherings. I won't be using it for baking etc.

Anyway DS2 will be her for dinner tonight, not sure what we are having but as it's going to be a scorcher, probably something with a salad.

Although I have loved living with my son and enjoyed cooking for him it will be nice to see the food bill go down.......
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Hello and welcome, a mini oven is a great idea for singles. I bought a halogen one and rarely use my big oven these days.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 17,246 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Welcome lessonslearned

I managed to tip my recycling wheelie bin over when putting it out - what a mess think I've got it all now. It hadn't been out for a few weeks so was pretty full.....I
    I need to do something with the diced pork cheek that is now defrosted. I was thinking thai red curry but have a notion for chilli - think it was our chat the other day re kidney beans/baked beans sparked that. Either way it will be for tomorrow as the meat is quite fatty so I want to cook and chill it so I can lift any fat off it, consequently I'm not sure what to have for dinner tonight. I think the chilli may win as I the veg I have lurking in the fridge is probably more suited to that.
    Breakfast was a re-run of the last few days and lunch will be the same as yesterday- mini pork pies and salad
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Well my trip to CS went well, the lady in there was amazed that I had managed to fit so much in and on my trolley. We had a nice chat and she is going to get one herself. I managed to come out with a spend on 50p on a sun hat for in the garden.

As I had to pass the Taste Not Waste Shop called in to see what they had and got this lovely lot for £2, the bananas, apples and bread were free. The large silver thingy is a bag of 67 orange flavoured hot chocolate, 2 of which are now chilling in the fridge

Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 60,742 Posts
    • 355,035 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...lady in there was amazed that I had managed to fit so much in and on my trolley....
    Originally posted by meg72
    Be careful ... they have a weight limit, even though most are quite robust. ..... don't break it and wish you'd been more careful!

It's hot, hot, hot here today, although I've had the curtains closed and several windows open for a through-draught - and now the sun's moved round the side, so it's cooler.

I've scoffed randomly, including:
    - one choc ice
    - a portion of honey/peanut cornflakes
    - 1½ tomato sandwiches
    - an egg/salad cream sandwich.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 7,465 Thanks
    Farway
    Careful PN, that is the more expensive pizza & bread found to be tastier than the cheapo stuff, next thing will be M & S + Waitrose

Meg72 Hope you are on trolley commison. I think as many on here have found just how handy and enabling [word pinched from PN] they are

Hello & welcome Lessonlearned

It is hot hot hot here, 80 plus in the lounge which is the coolest room, 100 ish in the conservatory with windows & doors open. Wish I was not forbidden booze, a long G & T would go down well, could even chuck one of my borage petals in as part of the 10 a day.

Nil breakfast then into town.

Had a slight mishap with the trolley, it slipped it's tow and went down clunk behind me . Empty at the time so no harm done, hitched up and sauntered onwards like I meant to drop it

Asda is still being refurbed, now everything is shuffled around and shelves empty. Found the YS section but waste of space, nothing took my fancy or needed

Lunch was standard cheese salady sarnie again

Waitrose provided tonight's dinner, YS small steak pie. Had them before, OK at reduced price not at full one though

So despite heat I will pop it in the oven and have it with Actify HM chips and the LO beans from the other day. I am going to use the Lild on offer bakers for the chips, slightly MSE 'cos they are 49p Kg, as opposed to Lidl frozen chips at 58p Kg

Gardening is just the watering, and those cherries are now getting to the nearly black stage. I feel a photo coming on in next few days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

4,022Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin