Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 10,240Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 234
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    Farway
    Found them, after a few blushes on Google, hope GCHQ was not snooping at the time or the rozzers will be round to check on the pampas grass situation

Simply Divine date fruit hearts

Seems Asda having a clear out, no longer stocked
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

Farway -Glad your beans are setting, I have loads of flowers but no beans yet. In a couple of days I'll need to start tickling courgette flowers as the ones I thought were cucumbers are doing fab. The outside ones are doing ok but not at that point yet.

I've taken 2 small beef olives out for tonight so I'll cook them with onions and mushrooms and will have them with steamed carrots and broad beans.

I discovered something had spilled down the back of my fridge - balsamic glaze I think. Horrible sticky well hardened mess. I've got the bottom half sorted but the rest will wait until tomorrow.
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Tea was: 2 fish fingers, chips, peas - all from the freezer.

Freezer now just has 2 bean burgers, 4 fish fingers, some peas, 3 small Yorkshires .... nearly there!

Talking, as we were earlier, about 4ldi products. I won't ever bother again with their quarterpounder spicy bean burgers. They're not really spicy, they're too wide/flat (rather than being less wide/plump) and they're nothing at all to write home about.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Tea was: 2 fish fingers, chips, peas - all from the freezer.

Freezer now just has 2 bean burgers, 4 fish fingers, some peas, 3 small Yorkshires .... nearly there!

Talking, as we were earlier, about 4ldi products. I won't ever bother again with their quarterpounder spicy bean burgers. They're not really spicy, they're too wide/flat (rather than being less wide/plump) and they're nothing at all to write home about.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That's a shame have you ever made your own. I used make these for the kids using tinned baked beans. If you want "spicy" add some fresh or powdered chilli.
    Recipe:-
    400g tin baked beans - drain the sauce and keep to one side
    1 slice of bread made into crumbs
    1 small onion finely chopped and softened in a little oil
    1 large garlic clove crushed or 1/2 tsp garlic granules
    1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
    1 small carrot grated and softened with the onions
    1 heaped tsp mixed herbs
    1/2tsp ground pepper
    50-60g grated cheese
    Around 1tbsp flour

Mash the beans until around 1/2 are quite smooth and the rest fairly chunky. Add rest of ingredients bar the flour and the bean sauce. Add bean sauce until you have a mix that isn't too dry but you can shape. Dust your hands or a plate with flour and shape into burgers. Bake or fry until golden - if baking coat with a little oil.
    Last edited by caronc; 14-06-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    That's a shame have you ever made your own. I used make these for the kids using tinned baked beans. If you want "spicy" add some fresh or powdered chilli.
    Recipe:-
    400g tin baked beans - drain the sauce and keep to one side
    1 slice of bread made into crumbs
    1 small onion finely chopped and softened in a little oil
    1 large garlic clove crushed or 1/2 tsp garlic granules
    1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
    1 small carrot grated and softened with the onions
    1 heaped tsp mixed herbs
    1/2tsp ground pepper
    50-60g grated cheese
    Around 1tbsp flour

Mash the beans until around 1/2 are quite smooth and the rest fairly chunky. Add rest of ingredients bar the flour and the bean sauce. Add bean sauce until you have a mix that isn't too dry but you can shape. Dust your hands or a plate with flour and shape into burgers. Bake or fry until golden - if baking coat with a little oil.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I could easily make my own if I were that into them/that bothered. I can randomly pick up a pack once every 3-4 years in a shop .... or I can ensure I've got a raft of ingredients, in order to make far more than I could ever eat in one lifetime, plus all the washing up

It's not that I couldn't make my own - they're easy (if you have all that stuff to hand). The question is one of volume ... that CFO/CBA stuff.

I bought this pack of four and hadn't even had a bean burger for at least 10 years.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    I could easily make my own if I were that into them/that bothered. I can randomly pick up a pack once every 3-4 years in a shop .... or I can ensure I've got a raft of ingredients, in order to make far more than I could ever eat in one lifetime, plus all the washing up

It's not that I couldn't make my own - they're easy (if you have all that stuff to hand). The question is one of volume ... that CFO/CBA stuff.

I bought this pack of four and hadn't even had a bean burger for at least 10 years.
    Fair enough they are tasty and cheap to make though and dare I say it they do freeze well
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Fair enough they are tasty and cheap to make though and dare I say it they do freeze well
    :P

If I were to make them I'd probably do something potato/kidney bean/onion/chilli based... it is the "spicy" bit that attracts me, more than the "bean" part.... beans are pretty lack lustre, although I'd not be against tossing in a few random butter beans for good measure if the mood took me
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    :P

If I were to make them I'd probably do something potato/kidney bean/onion/chilli based... it is the "spicy" bit that attracts me, more than the "bean" part.... beans are pretty lack lustre, although I'd not be against tossing in a few random butter beans for good measure if the mood took me
    Sounds good though I'm not a kidney bean fan - no idea why they are the only bean/pulse I'm not keen on
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Sounds good though I'm not a kidney bean fan - no idea why they are the only bean/pulse I'm not keen on
    I'll admit that I've rarely been keen on more than a few in a chilli con carne - opting instead, mostly, for using a tin of baked beans ...but they do lend a nice jaunty colour to some dishes .... and if I'm eating a spicy bean burger I'd expect a nice deep red colour inside So I'd use those for colour, rather than what they are, if that makes sense.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 17, 7:18 AM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    For tea I had 2 bits of toast with one cheese triangle shared between them - I'm now out of cheese triangles.

Yesterday evening I fancied something sweet, but I've no choccies... I was pacing back/forth a number of times when I remembered ... Creamed Rice! Great. So I pulled a 20p can of 4ldi creamed rice from the cupboard and opened it. Half in a tub for another day, half in a bowl, cold, with jam

Breakfast today will have to be scrambled eggs on toast because I have bread and eggs and I don't fancy egg/soldiers or poached egg/toast.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,588 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;72700087]I'll admit that I've rarely been keen on more than a few in a chilli con carne - opting instead, mostly, for using a tin of baked beans QUOTE]

I do that as well. I much prefer baked beans in my chilli to kidney beans. I think it tastes better
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I'm another one who puts baked beans in chilli and sometimes butter beans or lentils as well.

I've no real plans for today though hope to get the rest of the fridge cleaned. How many jars/bottles of stuff does one women need........

Breakfast was toast with cottage cheese, a flat peach and a small glass of tomato juice. Lunch will be and egg & tomato roll. I'm not sure about dinner either spag bol using ragu from the freezer or I've half a notion for cod in parsley sauce. I've a piece of cod loin in the freezer that's been there for a while which would do nicely and I've plenty of milk so we'll see.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've just popped to L1dl for a couple of cans of fizzy pop as it's sooooo hot here (can't have the windows open as there's a building site and it's noisy/dusty) .... and I thought I'd pick up some cheese triangles, but they don't sell the boxes of 8 for ~59p. Instead they have a much bigger tub of an indeterminate number. So I'm biding my time until I can compare the cost between their huge box and a regular box....

I'm starving..... had some cornflakes earlier (instead of toast/eggs as I CBA in the end).

L1dl had baking spuds in their offer, 45p it said (I presume/Kg) ... looked and thought back to the fact I need to be eating what's in the freezer and NOT buying new food.... they'll still be there next week.... and it's not jacket spud weather

EDIT: Ended up having a cheese/salad cream sandwich for lunch. Then the other half of yesterday's tin of creamed rice, with jam.

Conscious of the crumpets I bought and haven't opened.... BB 16th though, so loads of time for those, or they can go into the freezer after I've defrosted it *fingers crossed for that bit*
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-06-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,588 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    It is really hot here as well today.

Breakfast today was Greek yoghurt and berries and then mid morning I just had to have a crumpet and a biscuit or two.

Lunch was a cheese salad sandwich and then a couple more biscuits.

Dinner is a small piece of steak with some new potatoes and veg and a chocolate dessert thingy I bought yesterday.

I'm still on track to get to Sunday night without having any odds and ends to use up. But I have found one of those lightly dusted fish fillets in the freezer and was going to have that tomorrow with new potatoes and veg, but I fancy it with new potatoes and baked beans now.

That would mean 1) that some veg wouldn't get eaten and 2) there would then be half a tin of baked beans hanging around.

I suppose I could always have scrambled eggs and baked beans for a breakfast instead of scrambled eggs on toast though.

Oh I hate decisions at the moment
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon all

Hot & sunny here as well, forecast is over 30 at weekend, too much for me but the ripening fruit in garden will love it, including my grapefruit harvest. I may be kidding my self but I think I can spot incy wincy fruit swelling on the bush since the bees found the flowers. Fingers crossed

Off into town, it seems my local Asda is having a refurb, hence the odd clear out items I keep finding. Today's was a litre of virgin olive oil in flip top posh bottle, half price at £3.75. I use olive oil so it will keep, BBE is July 2018 anyway

Waitrose supplied dinner, YS fish pie. Maybe a tad too warm for that but it will do, perhaps add some frozen veg to it, could even steam some limp left over celery after a freshen up in fresh water

Lunch was a change, fancied a sausage sarnie, so used a pair from yesterday's pack, with some manky LO seen better days mushrooms. Used my new red spot frying pan which burns sausages just as well as the others did, but it at least it wipes clean now. Blob of classic brown sauce and lunch was lovely
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,588 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Conscious of the crumpets I bought and haven't opened.... BB 16th though, so loads of time for those, or they can go into the freezer after I've defrosted it *fingers crossed for that bit*

The 16th is tomorrow. If you mean June?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    Farway
    Now I want crumpets. I did look in Lild on Tuesday but they all looked like the normal skinny ones depite fluffy label

Will check again tomorrow and no doubt buy them & maybe regret it later
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 58,806 Posts
    • 341,293 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The 16th is tomorrow. If you mean June?
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Yes... I've lost a day...

Fear not ...I had a cheeky pair of crumpets 10 minutes ago

I did look in Lild on Tuesday but they all looked like the normal skinny ones depite fluffy label

Will check again tomorrow and no doubt buy them & maybe regret it later
    Originally posted by Farway
    My store's still got the rogue batch in stock. They're very pale by comparison... I expect once this rogue batch are finished they'll go back to how they were before ... which is a shame. They're lovely and big and fluffy ... just very white.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-06-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 10,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

I wish it was warm and sunny here - it's much cooler today and there has been some torrential rain this afternoon. The rain did obliging hold off earlier so I did manage to get the salady seeds sown. I had run out of dwarf bean seeds and ordered some more which arrived a wee while ago so need to get a batch of them sown.

My freezer inventory has let me down and of course being CFO I can't blame anyone else. No cod loin to be found though it could be lurking on another shelf but that would be a nightmare to try and find..... Anyway a piece of trout from some my son caught last summer has been liberated and I'll have that with parsley sauce and veg instead.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 5,323 Thanks
    Farway
    Back again, in the end for dinner as well as the fish pie & limp celery I also opened up a frozen pack of Morries mixed veg, and it was OK. I had it un opened for yonks when fresh veg soared up in price

But the big success was my HM cheese sauce, after reading about others making it I thought I would give it another go. What has always put me off is my pan always catches & burns. I have one of these Pyrex ones, all the rage in the 70s and not yet dropped it

I spalshed out in £land this morning and used the £1 non sitick pan, it is as thin & flimsy as rice pud skin, but importantly it never causght the milk, and I had HM sauce

I used the bung it all in & stir method, may not win prizes but a clean pan & a clean plate is a result in my book
    Last edited by Farway; 15-06-2017 at 6:21 PM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,524Users online

Martin's Twitter