Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,226Posts
    • 15,017Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 232
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Today's CFO effort:

B'fast: Tea, Coffee
    Lunch: Can of diet Tango
    Afternoon/High Tea x 3 Teas, a Bounty Bar, A pitta bread toasted and smothered in butter and a splash of marmalade.

Dinner: (2 hours later) x2 large Pitta Breads with X2 breaded frozen fish fillets and shredded lettuce with baby toms on the side. One more pitta just toasted with honey.

What a greedy moo eh and mostly unhealthy stuff. I am now stuffed and my stomach is blown up like a big balloon ...serves me right!

Twas just one of them eat everything till stuffed days
    Originally posted by karcher

On the plus side you have eaten, and that's the main thing
    Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,630 Thanks
    karcher
    It could have been much worse..... sometimes you just have to go with the flow
    Originally posted by caronc
    I certainly did....

On the plus side you have eaten, and that's the main thing
    Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Thanks Holly.

Just finishing off today's scoffathon with the last white chocolate Magnum (I was given a box would never buy them) and a glass of milk....Good job I've got my big baggy pj's on
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,392 Thanks
    PasturesNew

What a greedy moo eh and mostly unhealthy stuff. I am now stuffed and my stomach is blown up like a big balloon ...serves me right!

Twas just one of them eat everything till stuffed days
    They're the best
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I have a food plan for today I bet it doesn't work out though!

Breakfast: I have just had some Greek yoghurt and mixed berries. I am going out later so will have a banana shortly to keep me going.

Lunch: I am meeting my sister in law to choose a 21st birthday present for my niece. I don't know whether she will treat me to lunch (which means she will make a big thing of paying but my brother will have told her to pay for mine, and given her the money, but she won't tell me that bit). If we don't have lunch I will need something so will take a sandwich with me to eat on the train on the way home because I want to do a few things in town when I back.

Dinner: Sausages with either salad and new potatoes or veg, depending on the weather.

I need to use up the last couple of crumpets in the freezer so will have them as snacks today. I will probably pick up another packet of them when I am out because they are useful to have in the freezer.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    • 13,433 Posts
    • 36,608 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    No sort of food plan for today - or the next couple of days. It's "workmen in" time again....

I resonated with the comment earlier about not feeling able to do anything very much whilst they are around. I always mean to and have intentions of doing things like catching up on paperwork/weeding the garden/etc - as I'm stuck here anyway whilst they're here.

It never happens somehow - by the time I feel the need to keep a close eye on them - because of the number of errors they tend to make. You just know you've had bad experiences with workmen when you think of the number of times summat or other has had to be redone. Not forgetting I've got a bit of re-decorating to be re-done later this year in the house (though I had it all redecorated throughout when I bought it....). That will be to try and put right stuff a previous workman did - and not because I fancy a change of colour - and the worst thing is it will be at my expense again (as it's going to be exactly the same colour again).

So - all I know is "It will be food (of some type or another)" over the next couple of days....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-06-2017 at 7:49 AM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,392 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No breakfast. Time flew so fast, I was up at 5am, but time's flown!

Lunch has been two lollies... made with lemon squash/water.

I have to pop out to the shops ... so might find "random food I never expected to see/buy" or I might not. Who knows... life's an adventure isn't it!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,630 Thanks
    karcher
    ... life's an adventure isn't it!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    ...and not always a good one!

My cupboards are quite bare, I had planned to shop today but seeing as I am having a 'duvet day' that ain't happening now.

So a question, I do have some uncooked chicken breasts in the freezer, thought I might do something with one with some pasta (as I do have that) and frozen veg...but how long do I need to defrost the chicken? Is it too late for tonight bearing in mind I don't eat till about 8pm usually. Or can I defrost it in the nuker..you may have gathered I'm not au fait with cooking chicken.

TIA
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,017 Thanks
    caronc

My cupboards are quite bare, I had planned to shop today but seeing as I am having a 'duvet day' that ain't happening now.

So a question, I do have some uncooked chicken breasts in the freezer, thought I might do something with one with some pasta (as I do have that) and frozen veg...but how long do I need to defrost the chicken? Is it too late for tonight bearing in mind I don't eat till about 8pm usually. Or can I defrost it in the nuker..you may have gathered I'm not au fait with cooking chicken.

TIA
    If you take it now and pop it on a metal tray it will defrost in no time
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,017 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I'm not having the best of days - horrible vertigo attack just as it was getting light which didn't settle so it was the heavy duty meds. These do help but make me sleepy and hungry...
    Apart from having a shower and popping rubbish out I've been mainly horizontal. Noticed en route to the bin that something has scoffed most of my marigolds and verbena.....
    Lunch was some of the soup I made yesterday with a poached duck in it and dinner will be something from the freezer that can be nuked or popped on a tray.
    I'm off for another snooze.......
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    Farway
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;72691393
    I have to pop out to the shops ... so might find "random food I never expected to see/buy" or I might not. Who knows... life's an adventure isn't it! [/QUOTE]

That is my type of shopping, the YS beckoning at me. Today's mystery shop in Lidl yielded Hunters' chicken at £2.09 down from 2.99, use by today

I did try it a few weeks back and decided it was OK at the reduced price, and certainly saves me thinking what to have, and of course this is something I would never ever make

Mug cake, I have tried them, HM not bought in, OK for experiment but not one I would bother making again, easier and just as satisfying to have a bowl of cereal or a jam sandwich, or bar of chocolate except I never have that in for that very reason

Nil breakfast

Standard cheese / salad sarnie lunch, could have been some LO pizza but decided against it

Dinner tonight is the Hunters' chicken, I will cook both portions, not only due to the use by date but also the pour over cooking sauce is in one sachet and CBA to try and keep half back and muck about with one LO uncooked chicken portion

Not sure what will accompany the chicken, more than likely frozen chips in Actifry, and could try and get some salad in there as well, I have some jumbo radish ready to pull in the garden and need tugging out soon

Weather is warm and sunny and set for the rest of the week they say. Did a spot of gardening, pruned the gooseberry.

I watched Beechgrove Garden at the weekend and now is the time. I am scratched to bits now, stupid boy, bare arms & no gloves I have had my tetanus jabs though, I always make sure I am up to date with them since as a nipper I read about lockjaw and was convinced I had it, as you do after reading medical stuff.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,392 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Bugg4h all in Sainsbobs... YS section's a huge joke. There was an item there £5 reduced down to £4.41. Yeah, right ...

Then into L1dl, thick/fluffy crumpets look thicker/fluffier than the previous ones that never looked any different, so bought those. Couldn't stand and inspect them as they're on the top shelf, so above eye height - and some staff member had chosen right there to place a large cube basket of other food... so pretty inaccessible.

Also grabbed a 36p loaf.

Shuffled round, nothing exciting, got 2 cans of fizzy pop - and then 1Kg of chips as I figured chips will go with everything that I need to use up that's in the freezer.

Food was therefore: veggie burger from freezer + chips + peas from freezer.
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 8,009 Thanks
    Any

TIA

If it is in some sort of packaging, pop the packaging into water. Not hot. Just normal cold water.
    It will speed up the defrosting process considerably.

I would avoid microwave, unless you have one of the expensive ones that have clever defrosting system.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Bugg4h all in Sainsbobs... YS section's a huge joke. There was an item there £5 reduced down to £4.41. Yeah, right ...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I find the same as you with Sainsburys YS section. Their reductions are never really worth bothering with. There is never usually enough off to make it worth while for the use by date. I was after some bread last week and popped in there first thing and what I wanted was YS but they had taken a whole 10p off. I didn't bother and bought a loaf elsewhere with a decent used by date.

I have been out and called into Waitrose on the way home and they had bread y/s and it was all reduced by at least 50%.
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 8,009 Thanks
    Any
    I find the same as you with Sainsburys YS section. Their reductions are never really worth bothering with. There is never usually enough off to make it worth while for the use by date. I was after some bread last week and popped in there first thing and what I wanted was YS but they had taken a whole 10p off. I didn't bother and bought a loaf elsewhere with a decent used by date.

I have been out and called into Waitrose on the way home and they had bread y/s and it was all reduced by at least 50%.
    Sainsbobs reduce several time during the day.
    I used to pop in at 7pm after a class and loads of stuff was ridiculously cheap... While if I go any earlier they haven't got anything interesting.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 13,433 Posts
    • 36,608 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Had one of these let-downs that workmen in this area are very prone to. That being - they didnt turn up as promised.

So - tonight's dinner is what I could get at Aldi - and I had in mind treating myself as a "reward" for having been let-down. My way of not "killing" them for doing that - as I was never used to let-down workmen - until I moved...... I only found out I was being let-down (yet....a'blimmin again....) because I "chased".. So I compensate myself for this abnormal (to me) treatment.

So:
    - prepared crayfish and mango salad with coconut, lime and chilli dressing
    - guess I'd better have a few new potatoes (boiled) as a "side" with that (as Aldi still don't do decent bread).
    - followed by some home-grown strawberries and West Country clotted cream (can't think why....).....

I've been promised the blimmin' workmen will be in tomorrow after all......

Have been reinforcing my resolve as to how my house will be - by a bottle of lager I also bought while there (ahem....) and checking out how housing has been done in a reasonable area of London (ie to remind myself that it IS reasonable to expect my home to be the way I've decided - as many of them have). Am trying not to think just how to get some of what I am having (ie because I'm being told it's impossible - hmmm...)....sighs....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-06-2017 at 4:03 PM.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,392 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I knew when I ate earlier that I was going to "eat well" tonight, but I scoffed anyway.

Tea was, of course, the final two chinese chicken/batter pieces - served with those oven chips I bought earlier (I had that in mind when I bought them). Teaspoon of hot chilli relish on the side. Nom.

While that was cooking, I opened the new loaf I'd bought as I've still two LARGE tomatoes I bought over 2 weeks ago (pack of 6) ... and I made up two rounds to tomato sandwiches and popped them into a plastic container ready for "easy scoffing". One tomato was enough to make two rounds of sandwiches, so still got one left.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 13th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    poppystar
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Noticed en route to the bin that something has scoffed most of my marigolds and verbena..... Ah, we have the same pest - one whole tray of marigolds disappeared as soon as planted. Even have something eating my hydrangeas which has never happened before
    Lunch was some of the soup I made yesterday with a poached duck in it and dinner will be something from the freezer that can be nuked or popped on a tray.Thank you for cheering up my day - I can't get the picture out of my mind of a whole duck topping off your bowl of soup
    :
    Originally posted by caronc
    Me - once again I've shopped then been too out of it to actually cook any of it and resorted to cooked meat and fruit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,017 Thanks
    caronc
    Me - once again I've shopped then been too out of it to actually cook any of it and resorted to cooked meat and fruit
    Originally posted by poppystar
    Hope you perk up soon

Honestly I didn't scoff a whole duck

Still not decided about tonight - suspect either a pasty with veg or similiar and then I'm heading back to bed in hope of a better day tomorrow......
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Well my food plan went according to plan. I didn't have lunch with my sil so ate my sandwich on the train home. I was pleased that I had the whole carriage to myself so that I could eat in peace. I got a few odds and ends in town on the walk back from the station but didn't get much because I am going to take my trolley to Aldi for its first trip there tomorrow.

I have made a list of what needs using up and done a meal plan around this so that I don't end up buying anything else tomorrow that I will just be trying to use up by the end of the week.

Hopefully it will work out ok, but only time will tell
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,392 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... I am going to take my trolley to Aldi for its first trip there tomorrow....
    Exciting times! Did you check the wind forecast?

I'm fairly new to the range there as they opened here about 6 months ago... but I'm finding new things all the time - 89p for 8 choc ices for example
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin