Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,617Posts
    • 10,088Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 230
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 11th Jun 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 30,656 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Ooh good thinking Batwoman! I shall make sure that I have old decorating towels, dust sheets (aka old duvet covers and bed sheets), a bucket, mop and dustpan and brush out too. You're spot on about the 'can I just use your loo, love'? type of query too and I have a dark blue carpet on the stairs. At least not too much damage can be done dirt wise downstairs as all the floors are hardwood/laminate and can be mopped.

BTW your method of gardening is ingenious
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 34,188 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'd translate the "where a workman might go (errrr....yep...somehow its always workmen and never workwomen..)" to:
    - they always want to know where the fusebox/circuit breaker board is
    - they always want to go up into the loft.

These days I tend to save time by just indicating where both are at the outset

Re - plastering. The thought never crossed my mind that any plaster anywhere (except in quirky "historic" buildings) would be anything other than normal standard. Until I landed up with someone who described himself as a plasterer re-plastering my house during Year 1 in current one.

If the thought had struck me that there are indeed plasterers out there that will plaster walls to anything other than a normal standard - I'd have watched him a LOT more closely - rather than assuming "It will all come out in the wash and it will look normal then". Correction - I wouldnt have employed that particular one in the first place...
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'm having a fed up with food day today. Or in other words a CBA day. Breakfast was two bananas because, well because they were to hand and you just peel and eat and there is no washing up/clearing up involved.

For lunch I have just been greedy, and had a tuna and mayo sandwich with some salad, that has got rid of the last of the tuna that had been hanging around for a few days
    Then I had a crumpet with loads of butter.

Dinner is going to be a chicken portion with some new potatoes, veg and some stuffing that I have dug out of the freezer.

I think that another crumpet and possibly a scone will also be consumed today.

For some reason I have got the munchies.

Looking back at this, it is a bit carb heavy but never mind.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    I had an architect appointment for what I thought was a plot measure up for a small extension .... so I tidied the downstairs .... by putting it all upstairs. There's no work to be done upstairs ... none at all.

So they arrived and there was general chit chat about it being easy to measure up etc ... and you should see some of the houses they go into, sky high with clutter..... and they kept measuring up ..."right, upstairs now" ... WHAT!!!!

So I had to show them upstairs and as I opened the room door I said ".... and now you know where I put all the clutter"
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 7,765 Thanks
    karcher

For some reason I have got the munchies.

Looking back at this, it is a bit carb heavy but never mind.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Me too. In the past 30 minutes I have had an apple, banana and almond milk smoothie, a huge bag of salted peanuts and a white chocolate Magnum Ice cream...feeling a bit sick now
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've been doing that gardening malarky again ... I've now got 3 small rubble sacks of leaves/etc ... that's only taken about 5 hours' work

Resting now with a coffee, sit down .... and four choccies.

It's been sunny today, but VERY breezy ...
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-06-2017 at 4:16 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've been doing that gardening malarky again ... I've now got 3 small rubble sacks of leaves/etc ... that's only taken about 5 hours' work

It's been sunny today, but VERY breezy ...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Please come and do mine as well

It's breezy here as well but it is nice and sunny.

Are the choccies your tea, or a treat for having done all that work in the garden?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,088 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

I think I managed about 3 pages of my Kindle before I fell asleep and that was me out for the count for a couple of hours . Just had a cuppa, a natter and some crisps with my sister who popped round to collect her car en route to the SM.

Planned brunch of bacon & egg on toast was tasty but consequently I'm a bit lacking in the F&V department today. I've taken a portion of chicken wings out to defrost so will cook these with some jerk spice, mushrooms and a corn cob and use up the LO salad from last night. If CBA I'll make a dip to go with them with some of the smoked stilton lurking in the fridge.
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £80/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Please come and do mine as well
    I hate it, I'm rubbish at it. I was just hacking at random "pieces that were sticking out a bit more than the others" ... still needs more work, but it's a good start...

I "hate" the outdoors. I love the fact it's there to sit in ... but I don't do manual labour and I don't do hard things and I don't like the idea of muck/mud and creepy crawlies. And there are thistles and brambles to watch out for.

Are the choccies your tea, or a treat for having done all that work in the garden?
    Well... I don't know. If I call them my treat for having done all that work, then I can legitimately say to myself "I need tea now - and I DESERVE to go and get another of those great chinese takeaways I discovered the other week"

Got to google streetview the road to get it's name to call it though.

So, sitting here umming and aaah-ing as to whether I should get a chinese - and, I think I should. I've been doing that "get outdoors" thing all day ... that cr4ppy and slack gardening could legitimately count as exercise.... and if I died tomorrow I'd regret not having the chinese.

So I think ... tonight .... tea is "S0d that awful muck you cooked 3 days ago .... that's lurking in the fridge. BUY a Chinese takeaway ... scoff it all ... enjoy every bit of it"

It's a biggun, well it was last time I bought from there (first time so I've no idea if what I got served was better/worse/the same as usual).

I'll now go and grope around in the trolley to see if I can rustle up £6-7 or so. I can't remember how much it was and they're not online.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 11th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    poppystar
    Having a bad health day today - think drunken zombie (sadly without touching alcohol )

So breakfast was burnt toast and an avocado with a life of its own - I'd just scooped it all out when the biggest bit decided to leap floorwards - hah! I caught it …by stopping its fall with my body and the cupboard door. So then had to wash the latter and will have to wash the dressing gown I was wearing too grrrrrh!

Then zombie walked to the shops to get something healthy. Nice pieces of chicken bought which I'm really not now sure I'm safe cooking. Oh and two YS sponge puddings at 80p for 2 …which of course must be eaten today

PN what a productive day, well done!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon folks, back from a sunny day at Wisley, lovley as usual. I used the Help desk this time, and now I know I have Enchanters Nightshade running wild in my garden. Bummer. Seems I may be able to make magic spells with it somehow, could add new depth to CFO

Ate out at Wisley, poncey sarnie style, not all that nice as I found the only bit of gristle in the sliced chicken . I'll take my own sarnies next time and jsut buy a cuppa

Popped into Morrisons just as chucking out time, wholemeal loaf for 15p, cheers, bread sorted for the week now

Used that to make a tuna / mayo sarnie, then made a cheese & cuc one just because I could, that should do me unless I have a banana later
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,088 Thanks
    caronc
    PN - chinese takeaway definitely deserved after all that gardening
    Poppystar - can completely relate, go for an easy option tonight and rest up
    Farway - meant to say your Borage is beautiful, did you grow it from seed? I have ongoing problems with bindweed and horsetail though not in all of the garden so can sympathise re the nightshade hopefully it's not got too much of a grip..
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £80/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    When I make a decision, I don't hang about. I've found them, phoned, ordered, got in the car and driven there (2.8 miles or so), gone in, collected, driven back, served up and eaten it already

There's still more than half left .... I'll have that tomorrow.

Tried their egg fried rice this time, not impressed, I could make that....

Total cost £7.30 for the main course + rice. And they give you a gazillion free prawn crackers! That's something I'd never order.... but I do like them.

The chicken bit wasn't as nice as last time - it's as if the dish were pulled from the pan JUST as the chicken was cooked, so it's entirely white, but had a slightly "not quite there" texture. Still scoffed it though.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-06-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 11th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    poppystar
    PN -
    Poppystar - can completely relate, go for an easy option tonight and rest up
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thank you, sometimes I do need telling

Decided that is the best option as just went to dry up my favourite dish and found myself holding just the tea towel and looking at a floor covered in bits of nice white china

Clumsy zombie … really mad at myself

So here's hoping I can safely eat a banana and some cooked meat and microwave a sponge pud!!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 25,469 Posts
    • 102,756 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just made a red lentil dahl, with a garlic wrap n salad, as am skint till Tues.It was fab though
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,088 Thanks
    caronc
    When I make a decision, I don't hang about. I've found them, phoned, ordered, got in the car and driven there (2.8 miles or so), gone in, collected, driven back, served up and eaten it already

There's still more than half left .... I'll have that tomorrow.

Tried their egg fried rice this time, not impressed, I could make that....

Total cost £7.30 for the main course + rice. And they give you a gazillion free prawn crackers! That's something I'd never order.... but I do like them.

The chicken bit wasn't as nice as last time - it's as if the dish were pulled from the pan JUST as the chicken was cooked, so it's entirely white, but had a slightly "not quite there" texture. Still scoffed it though.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Och that a shame that it wasn't as good as the last time
    Thank you, sometimes I do need telling

Decided that is the best option as just went to dry up my favourite dish and found myself holding just the tea towel and looking at a floor covered in bits of nice white china

Clumsy zombie … really mad at myself

So here's hoping I can safely eat a banana and some cooked meat and microwave a sponge pud!!
    Originally posted by poppystar
    Just do what you can - I call mine "brain fog" days - it's like being very drunk and very hungover at the same time Hopefully you'll feel more like it tomorrow.
    Just made a red lentil dahl, with a garlic wrap n salad, as am skint till Tues.It was fab though
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Oh I love dahl drool
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... Tea towel and looking at a floor covered in bits of nice white china
    Originally posted by poppystar

--------
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 10,952 Posts
    • 56,951 Thanks
    elona
    If it helps any - I have just dropped a bag full of rubbish on the kitchen floor as it split.

Giving myself a few minutes before I tackle the mess and then reload the dishwasher!

Looks as if dds will be here this coming weekend as well which will be lovely but quite looking forward to the idea of pleasing myself for the next few days. The amount of dirty dishes and pots a few meals for six or seven of us can generate is scary. It is lovely to have them around and great to have the spare rooms so they can stay whenever they want.

Having a quiet evening before tackling my bedroom tomorrow as stuff is piled all over the place while work was being done upstairs.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,088 Thanks
    caronc
    If it helps any - I have just dropped a bag full of rubbish on the kitchen floor as it split.

Giving myself a few minutes before I tackle the mess and then reload the dishwasher!

Looks as if dds will be here this coming weekend as well which will be lovely but quite looking forward to the idea of pleasing myself for the next few days. The amount of dirty dishes and pots a few meals for six or seven of us can generate is scary. It is lovely to have them around and great to have the spare rooms so they can stay whenever they want.

Having a quiet evening before tackling my bedroom tomorrow as stuff is piled all over the place while work was being done upstairs.
    Originally posted by elona
    While it is lovely to have company I think you do quite quickly get used to "mess for one" as well as CFO. I was delighted that my son cooked dinner last night but he is a messy cook and foolishly I said I'd clear up this morning. My sister did rinse & stack everything last night but it was still daunting LOL
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 58,787 Posts
    • 341,120 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    One New Year I wore some boots .... when I came home I popped them by the side table in the living room.

The following New Year I wanted to wear the same outfit - and there were the boots, right where I'd left them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,219Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin