Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 8,466Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 200
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 7:54 PM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    In case anybody ever wondered what are my favourite choccies that I keep buying....

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/turners-chocolate-assortment-250g/p/26241

They're 1.... 40p/100g makes them a right bargain.

It's a complete mystery what you'll get each time as they're just mis-shapes.... the current batch are a bit squashed and a bit welded together... but they taste the same.

Different ones every time... whatever's been spat out of the machine as a reject.

The current bags appear to have a lot of caramels and orange creams.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 19-05-2017 at 7:57 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    caronc
    B - nutri-brex with hazelnut milk.
    L - bean vegetable soup.
    D - vegetable stir fry with half a packet of slim rice.
    Snacks - cucumber, tomatoes. May snack more later.
    Drinks - coffee, water and tea.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    What is "slim rice"?
    In case anybody ever wondered what are my favourite choccies that I keep buying....

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/turners-chocolate-assortment-250g/p/26241

They're 1.... 40p/100g makes them a right bargain.

It's a complete mystery what you'll get each time as they're just mis-shapes.... the current batch are a bit squashed and a bit welded together... but they taste the same.

Different ones every time... whatever's been spat out of the machine as a reject.

The current bags appear to have a lot of caramels and orange creams.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I used to live down the road from "Terry's" chocolate factory in York. You could smell the chocolate quite strongly depending on how the wind was blowing. They sold mis-shapes at the factory and I'm showing how long ago it was by saying they were 10p per 4oz. My favourite was the wonky chocolate oranges. Near where I worked was Rowntree's their factory shop was amazing........
    Over-indulgence at both of these outlets is probably why I'm not a huge chocolate lover these days
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 116/150
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 12,291 Posts
    • 33,465 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    There are little videos on YouTube of how to make sweet potato flatbreads. I googled out of interest and decided I'm not likely to make them myself - in my case because all the ones I came across use white flour (something I never have in).

They looked like they would be quite quick and easy though if anyone wants to try them.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 19th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 9,170 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    What is "slim rice"?
    Originally posted by caronc
    It's a very low calorie substitute. It's made from konjac. You can get rice, noodle and pasta versions of it. Every now and then I like to have a low calorie day (not too dissimilar to 5:2 but not that low or as often) and slim rice/noodles/pasta help with that.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    caronc
    It's a very low calorie substitute. It's made from konjac. You can get rice, noodle and pasta versions of it. Every now and then I like to have a low calorie day (not too dissimilar to 5:2 but not that low or as often) and slim rice/noodles/pasta help with that.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    Thanks - I'd heard of the noodles/pasta but didn't realise it came as "rice" as well
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    caronc
    There are little videos on YouTube of how to make sweet potato flatbreads. I googled out of interest and decided I'm not likely to make them myself - in my case because all the ones I came across use white flour (something I never have in).

They looked like they would be quite quick and easy though if anyone wants to try them.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I suppose they are really just a "tattie scone" made with sweet potato....
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 12,291 Posts
    • 33,465 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hmmm.....though I would say they are pancake like in thickness and texture personally....

Anyways...I'm having a freezer emptying out thing going on in my cooking at present. So I guess I'll be trying out those readymade ones I got soon. I'm sorta thinking I ought to roll them and use in pancake type fashion and with a vegetable stirfry sort of filling I guess....

Wonders if I dare grate a bit of cheese over the top of them too or no - as cheese is one of the things I'm trying to steer clear of at the moment (courtesy of how much fat there is in it).

I keep reading all these conflicting comments on vegan websites about automatically having the weight drop off on turning vegan - interspersed with ones saying "well....I actually put on weight when I did". The frustrating point there is none of them are giving details of exactly what they are eating and I'm just guessing the "weight dropping off" ones are eating healthily and the "weight piling on actually" ones are majoring in all the sweet foods that come up on a lot of vegan blogs. So I'm sorta steering in a vegan direction - but with eggs and some of my milk being cows milk at present...and seeing what effect that has...I think my leggings are feeling a wee bit looser
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 19th May 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 9,170 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    moneyistooshorttomention it can be very varied as to what happens when a person goes vegan. When I went vegan I didn't see a change in weight. What I did notice was the volume of food I was able to eat compared to before. There are loads of vegan junk foods though- I've bought some for my birthday in a couple of days like crisps, biscuits, vegan rocky road and some ice cream . Also a good amount of alcohol is vegan. Not exactly light on calories, my favourite is vodka so one of the 'better' ones for calories.
    If you eat a 'whole foods' vegan/plant based diet you have more chance in sustaining or losing weight.

Oh I've snacked on strawberries and mango since the last post. Yum.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 10:27 PM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Wonders if I dare grate a bit of cheese over the top of them too or no - as cheese is one of the things I'm trying to steer clear of at the moment (courtesy of how much fat there is in it).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Read up about this. Yes cheese is high calorie/fat compared to other foods, but there's some "magic ingredient" about it that increases weight loss if you have a little bit each day.

Studies have been done and I don't think they've worked out how/why it happens, but it's true.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th May 17, 6:48 AM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,772 Thanks
    kittie
    Read up about this. Yes cheese is high calorie/fat compared to other foods, but there's some "magic ingredient" about it that increases weight loss if you have a little bit each day. .
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    correct PN. My son and his partner are healthy, fit vegans, have been for years but I have seen them eat `unhealthy` food like chips and bread so veganism may not necessarily be the perfect diet for all. IMO we have omnivore teeth and are designed to eat a bit of everything, trouble is that we have been brain washed into eating high fat/high sugar and once on them then we are addicted

I am staying away from peppers, those normal round ones. I have had stomach gype for a couple of days and worked out that the only new thing in my diet was a large pepper. I have had weeks and weeks of a comfortable stomach until that pepper and I put it in my ratatouille this time. I am back to oats and berries soaked in soya and for lunch will have veg soup and bacon and egg, teatime will be brown rice with ginger, soya and umboshi with frozen green beans on top, rice cooker on a timer as I am out for the afternoon. Soup is cooking and very easy, I just got a pack of sauteed shallot and garlic out the freezer and added stomach calming celery as well as carrot, caulie and calming fennel

My allotment shallots and garlic are growing fab, I planted them in october and they will be ready in june and keep well for 8 months or more, after christmas I start to prep them as a saute for the freezer. The saute is very handy for many recipes
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th May 17, 9:57 AM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... stomach gype for a couple of days and worked out that the only new thing in my diet was a large pepper.
    Originally posted by kittie
    All peppers start from the same seed. First they go green, then red, then yellow .... so it might be that you should just stay away from the green and red ones. The yellow ones are more ripe, sweeter.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm having a "smug morning", of sorts. Waiting for my washing at the launderette, I'd noticed that 4ldi have chicken on special this week - and I was gifted some random jars of chicken cooking sauces some months ago. So I decided that at 3.45 I should buy one of those packs and make a chicken curry with one of the jars.

So I did that. Chicken and Sharwoods are currently working on making me some dinners. Yes, it'll end up as four generous dinners, but the meat part's worked out as "only" 86p a portion.

The meat's loads (600 grams).... but I chucked it all in anyway; the jar says serves 3. So it'll be meat-laden... but what the heck. Life's too short to have frozen half that chicken and then felt maybe each portion of curry was a bit skimped

It IS Saturday after all!

A family could've tossed in another jar of sauce, and some extras (peppers, onions, whatnot). I left it as it is, just chicken and the jar.

EDIT: After four hours I checked/stirred it and the sauce was looser, then I spotted the pack of little peppers I'd bought last week, so thought "I know how to get rid of those.... ideal", so chopped them up and lobbed them in. They'll bring a bit of cheery colour to it.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-05-2017 at 1:38 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th May 17, 2:12 PM
    • 12,291 Posts
    • 33,465 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well that was lunch for the day:
    - few roasted butternut squash seeds flavoured with soy sauce (singles repeat time....)
    - stew of quorn sausages/tomatoes/etc with added boiled potatoes (ditto)
    - I've discovered a range of coconut milk yogurt in T*sco recently and they've started to expand the range of flavours. So I then had mango and passion fruit coconut yogurt with frozen banana. They're not cheap - but they are rather nice. (NB: only healthy ingredients and they're suitable for vegans).

Thinks - is that a trace of collarbone I can feel at my neckline??. Am trying to encourage myself here. Thinks - can I get my cheekbones back at some point?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well, that was well worth making! The curry I just made from raw meat and a jar was better than the cheap ready meals I'd usually buy - and the meat fell apart - and I could have as much as I liked (HUGE pile of rice!). I actually cooked two portions of rice... so ended up with both on my plate.

More for later/tomorrow etc etc.... I don't intend to freeze it if at all possible.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 5,012 Thanks
    Farway
    I used to live down the road from "Terry's" chocolate factory in York. You could smell the chocolate quite strongly depending on how the wind was blowing. They sold mis-shapes at the factory and I'm showing how long ago it was by saying they were 10p per 4oz. My favourite was the wonky chocolate oranges. Near where I worked was Rowntree's their factory shop was amazing........
    Over-indulgence at both of these outlets is probably why I'm not a huge chocolate lover these days
    Originally posted by caronc
    I used to live near a Smith's crisp factory, always knew when there was frying going on. Later moved near a brewery and could always tell when brewing.

Never any samples or mis shapes though , but did wangle a freebie brewery tour, hic !

Both have closed now

I did have cheese in the baked spud yesterday, it was lovely, made me realise yet again how some simple foods, like beans on toast for instance, if not eaten for a while can be very satisfying

Up early and saw sunrise, just seemed a waste to stay in my pit so up I leapt creaked and was mooching around Waitrose & Asda before 0800

All to no avail, only YS was punnet of cherry toms which I bought, 25p, nothing much else, milk & loaf, actually had a 20p coupon off bread from Waitrose, because "they miss me". Offer was for any bread but I only bought the Essential wholemeal sliced, 40p to us lost Waitrose souls

Being early bird I used the L/O languishing & lonely bacon rasher in a late breakfast BLT sarnie when I got back home

Then gardening time, warm today, decided to get the HM fruit cage built and actually get to eat my cherries this year. The rain has made them swell up and starting to look tempting, so got in quickly before the birds have them

Lunch was welcome by then, cheese salad sandwich

Dinner not sure, two options, both easy bung in oven ones

Either fish cake & chips or veg lasagne, both bought "just in case" and in fridge, both within date so really comes down to probably use the fish cake today, 'cos two in the packet, then use the other one Sunday to try and avoid having a rinse & repeat day
    Last edited by Farway; 20-05-2017 at 3:13 PM. Reason: typo
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 20th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I live near a chicken processing factory, you really don't want to be downwind of that on certain days . Smells as bad as the chicken house behind me when they clear it out

Still the good thing about the chicken factory, they have a factory shop and the bargains I get are fantastic. My best buys were 4 chickens for 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 58,643 Posts
    • 337,730 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Buying ready meals is so important for singlies ... to break that monotonous cycle of ALWAYS having to use multiple things up ... rarely being able to "choose" what you're eating as everything you've made in the past is still lurking/to be used up and everything you're about to make will generate more things to be used up.

There's something lovely about buying a simple "serves one" ready meal, knowing you can eat it and never have to have it ever again if you don't want to

You didn't make it to use something up; you weren't forced to eat it because things needed to be eaten .... and there'll be no leftovers tomorrow and nothing to go in the fridge or freezer. No 1 portions or double portions to eat to get rid of things.

Slide the cardboard wrapper.
    Cook the dish.
    Eat it.
    All over and done with.
    Nothing to chill, nothing to rebox, nothing to freeze, nothing to mix with other ingredients for tomorrow/beyond.
    No need to check if you've got XYZ, or to use ABC from your cupboards to cook with it or serve with it. Nothing else to find. One packet, one meal, no worries.
    Luxury!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-05-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon all,

I've had a change for breakfast today and had a sausage sandwich, with the obligatory brown sauce of course.

Then I met a friend in town and we had a mooch around and had our treat of coffee and cake, so when I got home I didn't fancy any lunch.

I have just finished an early dinner of beef that I cooked in the slow cooker yesterday with roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and veg. If I need anything else to eat today I will just have some toast or a crumpet. I've also got some biscuits so I can always have a couple of them as well.

Tomorrow's dinner will be the rest of the beef with a salad and new potatoes to use it up. I will probably get another crumble out of the freezer for pudding as well as they are taking up quite a lot of freezer space.

PN that curry sounds like it is really nice.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Late on parade today as my internet service went down so I abandoned trying- seems it was an area thing and not just me.

Reading back I think I got the best deal living near the chocolate factory

My son arrived about lunch time and promptly made me bacon and eggs before sorting out some of the garden things I can't manage. I did some laundry for him and definitely got the easier deal.

I'm CFO tonight but no idea what I fancy - maybe pizza as I've not had one in months or something with some of the massive head of broccoli lurking in the fridge (thankfully the boy is going to take some with him tomorrow as I doubt I'd get through it all and I'm not keen on it frozen!)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th May 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    caronc
    Wow post 4000!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,556Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin