Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,377Posts
    • 15,755Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 199
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 19th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I have certainly read of this and I recall comments on a recent thread about it.

It's not a conscious policy decision on my part - but I think the difference is that I don't recall ever asking if there's a table available. I just walk over to the one I want - unless there is a reserved sign on it. Hence I'm thinking this may be the difference between being refused a table and not being refused a table??

The only time I recall actually talking to an approaching waiter when I walk into a restaurant has been when I'm about to say "We've reserved a table for x number of people in the name of .....". Otherwise I just pick an obviously available table.

I don't know what proportion ask "Is there a table available?" compared to seeing an empty one/with no sign and choosing it. Though it is true that solo meals out are more likely to be lunchtime than dinnertime.

EDIT; Just noticed the bit about "pensioners portion". I've never seen that before - but I did ask the other day re a "childrens portion" for my elderly mother (as she eats so little). So that's another possibility for those with tiny appetites. Personal confession time being my last "dinner" meal out involved having all 3 courses....but very often these days I just want the main course only.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

I was watching rip off Britain yesterday morning and they were looking at concessions for children, esp meals. Now most of the big chains do kiddies menus which give an age limit, but according to the programme, the head offices of the chains confirmed there was really no upper age limit and those with small appetites were welcome to order from them ( I always take a kids meal in mcds if I'm taking the grandkids)

The place I worked were more then happy to do half portions of what they could easily halve. Obviously we couldn't cut a chop in half, but chicken fillets and steaks and cod fillets we would and a roast dinner was easily scaled down. I've even been to a carvery and asked for a child's plate
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 60,258 Posts
    • 352,058 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's acceptable in coffee so I'd imagine it will be perfectly OK in say a curry

Evaporated milk might be a bit sweet for a savoury dish. I used to love that as a child over tinned fruit. My old nan used to make coffee with camp coffee and evaporated milk, OMG we loved it . Guess that was a throw back from the war years and the rationing after. I keep getting tempted to buy a tin but I'm scared it won't taste as I remember and will kill lovely memories
    Originally posted by Livelongandprosper
    The curry is a lightweight one, just a simple korma. I've actually got some jars to get through first though (gifted to me by a hoarder).

We had Camp coffee in the 70s when there was a coffee shortage, HATED it. We used to have the milk poured over tinned fruit. I've actually got two small tins in the cupboard as I intended to make some quiches with them. Needless to say, they're becoming cupboard clutter.... all good intentions, but toast is so much easier
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 5,574 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon all

Eating out, I rarely do these days unless out with grandchildren etc

I just ignore the "wait here to be seated" signs in near empty cafes, like Little Chefs or some pub chains and just go in & plonk myself at an empty table

Never been turned away either, but then I always assume I have every right to be there, in my chauvanistic male way . Not tried in Harrods or the Savoy of course, could come unstuck there

Nil breakfast, lunch was the last BLT sandwich, now just one rasher left, waht use is one rasher? Not enough for anything and not going to try & use it in something else or that is jsut making something to use something. Maybe a mini sarnie?

Lidl was megashop by this morning, got the baking spuds on offer, should see me for a few weeks there, and pushed the boat out on some rump steak, also on offer, great lump of cheese, eggs & batteries

The sun is out, so one of the baking spuds will be used in tonight's salad, maybe grate some cheese in the spud?, not sure on the filling yet
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 13,645 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Farway - I do wonder whether it's more of a "female" thing to expect to ask a waiter for a table (thereby giving them the chance to be awkward and refuse), whereas a man might be more inclined to just see a vacant table/take it.

Maybe that's why I personally just look for an empty table/take it - as it literally doesnt occur to me to act in a traditional "female" way. I just think "How does a person act?" and take no account of any sex differentiated ways of acting basically.
    #MeToo
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    [QUOTE= I keep getting tempted to buy a tin but I'm scared it won't taste as I remember and will kill lovely memories[/QUOTE]

You are best to keep it that way. Everything that I have bought again to see if it is still as good as it was when my mother/grandparents used to give to us has turned out to be a big disappointment.

The same with things that I used to buy a lot myself in my younger days when I first married in the late 70s. Nothing has so far lived up to my memories.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 19-05-2017 at 3:55 PM. Reason: typo
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 5,574 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    Farway
    You are best to keep it that way. Everything that I have brought again to see if it is still as good as it was when my mother/grandparents used to give to us has turned out to be a big disappointment.

The same with things that I used to buy a lot myself in my younger days when I first married in the late 70s. Nothing has so far lived up to my memories.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Same here, but maybe the reason is so many things have now been "reformulated" they really are not the same as the earlier versions were?

One example talked about on here is the Fray Bentos pie, a travesty of what it once was, plus who remembers digging in the strawberry jam for the strawberries? Hard pushed to see a strawberry in jam these days, even the dear stuff
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone,

I am having a real munchie day today.

So far I have had porridge and yohgurt and berries for breakfast.
    Lunch A tuna and mayo sandwich and a rhubarb crumble and cream for a pudding.
    Dinner will be a chicken portion with salad and new potatoes and an apple and blackberry crumble and cream for pudding.
    The crumbles were in small ramekins in the freezer and as I was getting one out, I just thought 'oh well if I get two out and treat myself today that will clear a bit of room in there'.
    On top of that I have had three penguin bars and two slices of toast and butter.

I found a small lump of meat in the freezer, when I weighed it, it was 250g. For some reason I hadn't labelled it, so had no idea what it was I have defrosted it and I think it is the end of a large joint of beef that I cut up and froze but didn't quite manage to portion properly. Anyhow that is now in the slow cooker for the next two days either with veg or salad depending upon what I feel like on the day tomorrow.
    At least a few things have come out of the freezer, even if I feel really stuffed, and I have gained four pounds in one day in addition to the three pounds a week I'ms supposed to be gaining
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    The only time I have ever eaten out on my own has been when I was working and used to have to stay away from home every now and again. Then I always used to eat in the hotel restaurant as it was going on the bill so I never had a problem.

I have had a few bar meals on my own in the past, more to the point during the 1980s at a couple of pubs where my ex and I used to go a regular basis and I was well known by the landlord/ladies and all the regulars. In fact when he was away with work I would even go out for a drink on my own if I was bored, never felt uncomfortable and there was always someone in there who I knew and would end up talking to.

I wouldn't do it now though.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Same here, but maybe the reason is so many things have now been "reformulated" they really are not the same as the earlier versions were?

One example talked about on here is the Fray Bentos pie, a travesty of what it once was, plus who remembers digging in the strawberry jam for the strawberries? Hard pushed to see a strawberry in jam these days, even the dear stuff
    Originally posted by Farway

The Frey bentos pie

That was a huge favourite in our house, I loved them, even my dad loved them. We're such a treat to have shop bought pie and the pastry was mmmmmmmm

Then I got one a few years back, minging it was

They just refurbished my nearest B&M and there's much more food. I was stood there looking at the tinned steak and kidney puddings and the tinned hamburgers thinking will I or won't I as I have such fond memories of them, and walked away
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 11,128 Posts
    • 62,077 Thanks
    kittie
    I am having a real munchie day today.
    tell me about it. I had a currant bun, a slice of cake and some chocolate, all in between nice meals. I am better if I am busy, I don`t think about it
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Originally posted by Farway

I have often wondered if it is because things has been reformulated. Sometimes they are considerably different. It be that they have kept a brand name because it is a well known and trusted product but changed it to something completely new.

I aree with you re the strawberry jam, there used to be loads in the jar.. In fact I can't remember when I last found any in there
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 60,258 Posts
    • 352,058 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Today I've had....

Breakfast: muffin, 2 scramblies, beanies
    Lunch: muffin, choccy spread
    Tea: muffin, cheese triangle.

Throughout the day I've been dipping into my favourite choccies.... so there are only two left. Good job I bought TWO packs isn't it!

For tea my head was telling me "Go on, make little mini pizzas, under the grill ... go on ...." but when it came to Action! I CBA.

I twisted my back yesterday picking up a 20 litre bag of compost and putting it into the basket/trolleys you drag behind you in shops .... and it's been giving me niggles all day. I hope that fixes itself by magic as there's nobody to look after me and to see my "sorry for myself" face.

I need another bag really ... but daren't risk it yet.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 19-05-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 6:10 PM
    • 13,645 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Dinner is in two halves today:

- snack earlier of roasted butternut squash seeds seasoned with soy sauce

- dinner cooking of quorn sausages in can of tomatoes with dash of pesto and planning on some roasted butternut itself with it and probably a slice or two of sourdough seeded bread I bought today and some watermelon afterwards

Remembering I spotted some readymade sweet potato flatbread in the supermarket recently and stuck it in the freezer whilst wondering what it was like/what to do with it = what has anyone else done with it please?
    #MeToo
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 60,258 Posts
    • 352,058 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Remembering I spotted some readymade sweet potato flatbread in the supermarket recently and stuck it in the freezer whilst wondering what it was like/what to do with it = what has anyone else done with it please?
    Never heard of it

I've not had sweet potato ever yet .... it's pricier than spuds and I mostly buy based on price, so had no motivation to try one.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

I don't think I have seen that, did you get it in one of the main supermarkets?
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 6:39 PM
    • 13,645 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't think I have seen that, did you get it in one of the main supermarkets?
    It was there in T*sco the other day. The first time I've spotted it. The local T*sco here is my definition of small - so if even this one had it - then I'm guessing all of them (apart from corner store size) will probably have it.

I grab it quick when I spot something new/within my parameters here - as they've got a distinct tendency to "try it out" and then drop it because few people here will buy it.

Well - had dinner and duly ate it "mindfully" (ie asking myself if I want each extra mouthful) and therefore left half the tomato sauce I'd cooked those quorn sausages in. Now filling the odd few stomach "pockets" with a small glass of rice milk. That's that - dinner done.

Feeling encouraged by the fact that a recent "quick glance through article" seemed to imply that just eating mindfully alone means a weightloss of 1 lb per week. Quick calculation on my part = if that's correct and I keep that up then I should be able to buy the new clothes I need on next visit back to home city in a few months time. Age may have taken a lot from my appearance - but slimming back down will bring back the flat stomach I still have (underneath those surplus pounds). Visions of buying a couple of new dresses of a style that cling/emphasise the stomach - if low necklines aren't a good idea any longer
    #MeToo
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 7:27 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 15,755 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I generally try and eat midfully but today was a fail..... I really didn't need the two bitesize pork pies (just as well the SO on these ends this week) mid-afternoon
    I've not seen the sweetpotato flatbreads - they're not on Tesco on-line. They sound like something I would like as I love sweet potato. I tried the Tesco folded rye & grain folded flatbreads, which while ok not something I'd rush to buy again as basically just a folded pitta.
    I am now CFO tonight as my son won't be up the road until tomorrow as ended up working late. I cba making up lasagne especially as I would have spare portion that I couldn't refreeze so it's oven chips, breaded fish, peas and probably broccoli as I got a head of one in today's shop. It was the pre-pack one and the head is huge with just a smallish stalk so really good value for money at 45p for 350g.
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 19th May 17, 7:48 PM
    • 3,400 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    B - nutri-brex with hazelnut milk.
    L - bean vegetable soup.
    D - vegetable stir fry with half a packet of slim rice.
    Snacks - cucumber, tomatoes. May snack more later.
    Drinks - coffee, water and tea.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 7:54 PM
    • 60,258 Posts
    • 352,058 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    In case anybody ever wondered what are my favourite choccies that I keep buying....

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/turners-chocolate-assortment-250g/p/26241

They're £1.... 40p/100g makes them a right bargain.

It's a complete mystery what you'll get each time as they're just mis-shapes.... the current batch are a bit squashed and a bit welded together... but they taste the same.

Different ones every time... whatever's been spat out of the machine as a reject.

The current bags appear to have a lot of caramels and orange creams.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 19-05-2017 at 7:57 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 15,755 Thanks
    caronc
    B - nutri-brex with hazelnut milk.
    L - bean vegetable soup.
    D - vegetable stir fry with half a packet of slim rice.
    Snacks - cucumber, tomatoes. May snack more later.
    Drinks - coffee, water and tea.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    What is "slim rice"?
    In case anybody ever wondered what are my favourite choccies that I keep buying....

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/turners-chocolate-assortment-250g/p/26241

They're £1.... 40p/100g makes them a right bargain.

It's a complete mystery what you'll get each time as they're just mis-shapes.... the current batch are a bit squashed and a bit welded together... but they taste the same.

Different ones every time... whatever's been spat out of the machine as a reject.

The current bags appear to have a lot of caramels and orange creams.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I used to live down the road from "Terry's" chocolate factory in York. You could smell the chocolate quite strongly depending on how the wind was blowing. They sold mis-shapes at the factory and I'm showing how long ago it was by saying they were 10p per 4oz. My favourite was the wonky chocolate oranges. Near where I worked was Rowntree's their factory shop was amazing........
    Over-indulgence at both of these outlets is probably why I'm not a huge chocolate lover these days
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,823Posts Today

9,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin