Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,062Posts
    • 13,996Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 194
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 17, 3:33 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... loose bakers are on offer from Thursday 18th, 49p Kg.... pick the ideal size & shape that suits your needs..
    Originally posted by Farway
    Cheers, I'll try to remember that. When I've got no spuds I REALLY fancy a jacket spud I fancied one the other day. I rarely buy "bakers", I buy "cheapest potatoes" mostly - and use those as bakers. I did buy/try a bag of Bakers at 4ld1 a couple of months ago that were a very good price. It's easy to forget just how different/better proper spuds are -v- cheapest. I loved those I bought at 4ldi
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Afternoon all,

Well my M&S hunt for a y/s ready meal for dinner tonight was a lost cause. They didn't have anything other than an individual quiche and that only had 30p knocked off it.

However, I wondered down to Sainsburys and found two of those sourdough loafs of bread that I am currently enjoying so much reduced to 40p each so I got those and that was it.

I came home and did some beans on toast for lunch, and got a piece of haddock out of the freezer to have with some steamed veg and potatoes for dinner. I have also made a batch of blueberry muffins to use up a punnet of blueberries. The only problem with that is, that it makes 12 I have already eaten 1 and given one to a neighbour and I will eat 2 more today so that is 8 muffins that now need to go into the freezer and 2 loafs of sourdough bread. I think I need to stay away from shops all together for at least a year

At least I am out for lunch Wednesday and Thursday so I don't have to think about what I am going to eat other than breakfast, and maybe a small snack in the evenings.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,075 Thanks
    meg72
    Remove the skins and make scotch eggs?

Use as meatballs in pasta sauce?
    Originally posted by Tiddlywinks

Thanks but I really didn't need any more meals. I`d bought these and froze the whole pack to make sausage rolls for a family do next month. Would have done them fresh on the day but now they are ready made. Just dissed off that they taking up freezer space I needed. Also was really messy getting skins off, when they are frozen I just slit the skin down the side and put in cold water, skin just peelsoff and the sausagemeat is ready shaped to roll in pastry.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 13,996 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Thankfully it finally stopped raining and the sun came out. Despite being "unsteady eddie" today I managed to pot up four hanging baskets so at least a little progress.
    Dinner just needs popping in the oven and I'll vac pack and freeze the remaining chicken thighs for another time. I've still a wee bit of the smoked salmon left so I think tomorrow I'll use that up with the rest of the asparagus and make pasta dish.

Meg72 - thanks for the reminder I've umpteen sausage rolls in the freezer made when I had surplus sausages and pastry after New Year Shame about the whoops moment but at least that's one less job for the next time the family come
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    OMG my meatballs et al are awesome.

Currently ... scoffing them ... ALL.

It was really 1.5 portions, dictated by the size of the meat I'd frozen (180 grams) .... but I'm soldiering on
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....I really didn't need any more meals. .
    Originally posted by meg72

In a single household... most things "out of the freezer" end up with more stuff added and .... put BACK in the freezer, often occupying more space when you started, rather than freeing any up.

Oh well.... you'll laugh about this on the day ... and at least you don't have to make them on the day, when some other disaster will present itself! (they always do).
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    In a single household... most things "out of the freezer" end up with more stuff added and .... put BACK in the freezer, often occupying more space when you started, rather than freeing any up.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Story of my life
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 17, 8:31 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    OMG my meatballs et al are awesome.

Currently ... scoffing them ... ALL.

It was really 1.5 portions, dictated by the size of the meat I'd frozen (180 grams) .... but I'm soldiering on

If something is really good and you are enjoying it, it is important that you soldier on and eat it all rather than put anything back in the freezer or save for a snack later Glad you are enjoying them
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 13,996 Thanks
    caronc
    Putting more in the freezer than what I took out is my life - definitely a CFO problem.
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just squeezing in a small/cheap choc ice... no room really, which is how I've still got time to log in here and post .... nearly half way through it.

I've opened it ... so I have to eat it
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 17, 11:40 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I've just squeezed in two breakaway chocolate bars and three slices of sourdough bread warmed and butter I don't know why it's not like me to be eating at this time of night. I think I must be sub-consciously worrying about something
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 17th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I did Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick today. I love this recipe, it stretches whichever way. Extra pasta, yogurt and another jar of salmon paste to feed several, or just a wee bit of pasta, a small tub of yogurt and a resulting extra salmony sauce for a lighter lunch.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 6:35 AM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Breakfast this morning was a choc ice... I've now got washing to do as I appear to have dropped a bit of choccy on my cushion cover and smeared it

Looks like an old lady's house here as I've removed it and folded it with the brown smear uppermost (so I don't keep forgetting) ... until some time in the next 1-2 hours when I think "I'll wash that now" and go off to get the bucket out. Looks like a continence accident, waiting for my carer

I've fitted a clean slip on the cushion .... definitely clean as this is the one I washed just 4 days ago under identical circumstances.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th May 17, 7:17 AM
    • 13,159 Posts
    • 36,000 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Putting more in the freezer than what I took out is my life - definitely a CFO problem.
    Originally posted by caronc
    .....and, on that note, does anyone know if it's even possible to put aioli in the freezer? Having seen some luxury brand stuff there in a nice little pottery container, that I'll be able to re-use, I thought I'd try it - and have had some with one meal and think I'll do so again today.

....and, it's obviously "family size" and I'll still have 2 portions left and I don't want to eat it every day for 4 days on the one hand or waste it on the other hand...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 17-05-2017 at 7:19 AM.
    ploughing my own furrow...

They have lessons in schools these days on resisting peer pressure
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....aioli ...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm going to have to Google that to even know what on earth it is

Hmm... oil ... doesn't look very interesting! Or mayo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aioli

I've rarely even ventured into the world of eating mayo.... I just slap salad cream on things ... and avoid any recipe that says to use mayo (or find a workaround).

Many people are "snobs" about salad cream, but, to me, it doesn't sound a great deal different to what they eat. And I know I like it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream

65p at supermarkets for a big squeezy bottle ... lasts months
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-05-2017 at 7:32 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 17, 9:07 AM
    • 10,871 Posts
    • 58,751 Thanks
    kittie
    I couldn`t bear to be without cake in the freezer, so I made two date and walnut loaves last night, sliced and put them in the freezer and it was nice, don`t ask how I know. It all started from using two eggs as new are coming this morning. Once frozen, then I can forget about cake

I decided to get the salad spinner washed and ready for my new lettuce, its out and ready, so I`ll spin the lettuce and that will make salads easier. Its a metal one and keeps lettuce nice for several days

Up at 6, small breakfast of spelt flakes, blackcurrants and soya milk. Hungry now, so quickly got some quinoa simmering with steamer on top, pulled out some ready prepared veg from the vac jars and healthy breakfast will be ready soon. Otherwise I would be diving into toast

I have a few strips of belly pork left in the freezer, really fancy one at lunchtime, just with a quick veg stir fry and then teatime can be what it will
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 9:59 AM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've removed the frozen loaf from the freezer as I've two black bananas here .... and I can't throw them out. Making a bread pud with them ... but the cheap version. Not butter, no milk.

Sometimes in an effort to "save money" it's easy to then spend a fortune using up something of little value. My 2 bananas are worth about 20p.... and if I were to make, say, a standard bread/butter pudding in a full sized oven, or a bread pud with milk, that could cost nearly £1.20-£1.50 just to use up 20p of nar-ners.

So I'm using my basic recipe ... and should have it made and baked into a nice pudding ... for an additional 30p ... have to see what I toss in and how it turns out. Got to "make up" the quantities by eye, but I might as well. And, as the oven will be on, I might make a dinner of veggies, stuffing, yorkshires, mash, gravy. No meat as I've not got any (except one slice of frozen sausagemeat)... although, thinking of that, I COULD make a sausagemeat pie (but I won't).
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 13,996 Thanks
    caronc
    I did Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick today. I love this recipe, it stretches whichever way. Extra pasta, yogurt and another jar of salmon paste to feed several, or just a wee bit of pasta, a small tub of yogurt and a resulting extra salmony sauce for a lighter lunch.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Not the Jack Munroe recipe which is good but I'm making smoked salmon and asparagus pasta tonight. Not very MSE but it using things I have and the asparagus was on SO
    .....and, on that note, does anyone know if it's even possible to put aioli in the freezer? Having seen some luxury brand stuff there in a nice little pottery container, that I'll be able to re-use, I thought I'd try it - and have had some with one meal and think I'll do so again today.

....and, it's obviously "family size" and I'll still have 2 portions left and I don't want to eat it every day for 4 days on the one hand or waste it on the other hand...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't think it would freeze well but should keep for at least week covered in the fridge. Personally it's not something I'd struggle to use up.....
    I've removed the frozen loaf from the freezer as I've two black bananas here .... and I can't throw them out. Making a bread pud with them ... but the cheap version. Not butter, no milk.

Sometimes in an effort to "save money" it's easy to then spend a fortune using up something of little value. My 2 bananas are worth about 20p.... and if I were to make, say, a standard bread/butter pudding in a full sized oven, or a bread pud with milk, that could cost nearly £1.20-£1.50 just to use up 20p of nar-ners.

So I'm using my basic recipe ... and should have it made and baked into a nice pudding ... for an additional 30p ... have to see what I toss in and how it turns out. Got to "make up" the quantities by eye, but I might as well. And, as the oven will be on, I might make a dinner of veggies, stuffing, yorkshires, mash, gravy. No meat as I've not got any (except one slice of frozen sausagemeat)... although, thinking of that, I COULD make a sausagemeat pie (but I won't).
    Oh I do love bread pudding such a good way to use bits up - used to make it loads when the boys were growing up

Kittie - two breakfasts are you a Hobbit lol?

Just had toast and banana for breakfast, I'm not sure about lunch but I have some sweet potato left from last night, I ended up scooping out the flesh and just eating the crispy skin so might have that mixed with egg, chilli and tomato as a sort of frittata.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 12:21 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've not got round to doing the bread pud .... full of procrastination.... instead I've sat and thought about 20 variations I could cook .... without actually even getting it started. The first bit's not even hard: break up the bits of bread.... CBA to do that yet

Ate a fat crust from the defrosted loaf, toasted and topped with chocolate spread
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 59,633 Posts
    • 348,327 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I made, cooked .... then ate that pud.

So, instead of throwing out two black nar-ners.... I've eaten FOUR portions of pudding, containing 50-60 grams of sugar and 2-3 days of bread rations.

It's not so smart is it..... the whole concept of "use it up" is flawed

And I've still another 2 portions, uncooked, in the fridge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,548Posts Today

9,127Users online

Martin's Twitter