Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,619Posts
    • 17,098Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 133
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You can cook "fried" sausages in a slow cooker, just pop them in, pop on high, turn after 2 hours, reduce to low cook for around 3 hours
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Outdoor-Portable-Barbecue-Festival/dp/B013C4XCOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490013275&sr=1-1&keywords=bucket+barbecue it's fab
    Originally posted by caronc
    Yes, I've cooked some in the SC before ... it's irritating/boring waiting sometimes

BBQs are a problem here - generally I live in a wind tunnel, so it's not been possible to even SIT outside, never mind anything else, but I'm hoping that'll soon change as there's a new building going up and it's reduced the wind already ...

The trouble with BBQs is neighbours - on a tightly packed new build estate your next door neighbour's also got a 20x20' garden and are just 10' away from where you're smoking/stinking the place out if you buy one.

I've also got a gadget that would work .... not sure what you call it, like a George Foreman grill probably .... not got round to having the courage to plug it in yet; owned it 15 years, petrified of it. I HATE electrical goods in the main.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 17,098 Thanks
    caronc
    Yes, I've cooked some in the SC before ... it's irritating/boring waiting sometimes

I've also got a gadget that would work .... not sure what you call it, like a George Foreman grill probably .... not got round to having the courage to plug it in yet; owned it 15 years, petrified of it. I HATE electrical goods in the main.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You could do a batch and freeze some? I got rid of my George Foreman as it was taking up too much space but it did do the job though I found it hard to clean. I've and electric frying pan - bought when I had no kitchen for a number of months and it's good, would you consider something like that? https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=electric+frying+pan+with+lid&sprefix=elec tric+frying%2Coutdoor%2C277&crid=38924LHJ66UYV
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You could do a batch and freeze some?
    Wash your mouth out with soap!!

Additionally, I'm actually trying to empty the freezer... it's been 2½ years since I bought it and the ice build up is making itself known now .... trouble is, I keep putting things in there and not taking things out enough.

I've and electric frying pan - bought when I had no kitchen for a number of months and it's good, would you consider something like that?
    I'm pretty much scared of all electrical gadgets, and I've no space. No space to store it and no space to sit it to use it.

I just have this phobia that all electrical items, especially those that produce any form of heat, will burst into flames and/or set fire to the house from the socket wiring embedded in the house walls.

New build, all safe, hard wired smoke detectors etc .... but a phobia list longer than your arm
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 20th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 9,900 Posts
    • 106,409 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Dog-walkers leaving poo around is also a nuisance thing - having to watch out they havent left it sitting around for the rest of us to inadvertently step into. No way of dealing with those other people that have an Idiot Gene in that respect that I can think of either...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Don't get me started.... it's AWFUL if you're self-propelling in a wheelchair, it gets on your hands, and on your sleeves. It's not as if it's that difficult to deploy a poo-bag, either! If I can manage it, I'm darned sure the able-bodied can, too. And as the council chappie said to me, in order to slap an instant fine on them, you have to catch them in the act.
    *Puts soapbox tidily away*
    Just waiting for my visitors now. Terrified.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    LameWolf - That thought hadnt actually occurred to me - as my own "worst case scenario" = yukky footwear and rinse it off outdoors before taking it back into my house.

I know I've wondered how blind/partially sighted people are supposed to be able to see well enough to avoid it = they can't obviously.

It is a very valid point though. I can see how that could happen - now you've pointed it out.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    Farway
    Rotten cold, wet and windy, so slobbing around indoors instead of slobbing around Asda looking for stuff with 20p knocked off a ridiculous price in the first place YS bargains

Breakfast was toast & ginger marmalade x 2

Lunch was Morrison frozen cheapo beefburger, which looked like a large black rimmed digestive biscuit once I had burnt it around the edges under the grill, but not as tasty.

Had it with a slice of cheese & bun. The best bit is I now have a burger packet shaped hole in the freezer as it was last survivor of bad buy

Dinner not decided, probably frozen fish & chips given weather and general gloom outside, bit of easy CBA food, one tray bunged in oven, could nuke some peas with it, job done

A few of the 5 doughnuts seem to have vanished since yesterday, possibly vapourised or perhaps Scotty has beamed them up?

Bit of indoor gardening, watching the runner beans germinating nicely on the window sill, plus same with the borage. At least I will eat the beans, but the bees like the borage, and booze not allowed any more, so can't even float the borage flowers in a glass of something, although I think a cheffy thing would be sprinkle them on a salad, but that will just not happen here at Fart Fort Farway
    • karcher
    • By karcher 20th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    karcher
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ...

Now that's what I call a real Hearty breakfast

Oh my what a long day...my feet hurt, think I need new work boots!

No noshing done yet today, don't flipping need anything after eating a weeks worth of food yesterday

Only consumption is x1 cup of tea and milk and x3 cups of coffee and milk.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think it's more difficult to decide on a "meal" if you don't eat much meat. With meat you have a definite "main item" to work around.

So I stood in the kitchen in despair, looking at all the full cupboards/freezer of food and couldn't find anything exciting.

Then I consulted my "what's in the freezer" list - and spotted "chips". "That'll do!" I thought. So I put those on but I got a bit sad that I couldn't work out what to have with them.... then I spotted "fish fingers" on the freezer list, so grabbed 4 of those.... and then I decided I'd open a can of beans to go with those so I felt I'd had a full meal and was full

Job done. All eaten.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 11,292 Posts
    • 63,850 Thanks
    kittie
    yes meat is an easy meal, if its the like of a chop or a sausage, fish too if it can be bunged in foil and baked. No good if I have only got the likes of stew or mince in the freezer but am slowly changing and not prepping for a family. Costco burgers are fantastic if you get a chance

Change of plan for lunch, sardine and halloumi on salad and a tin of pea soup later with some toast. So glad I had already washed the salad and the spinner was in the fridge. I am trying to use my food stores, so I can start again on a solo footing.

Think I`ll do the same breakfast in the rice cooker. I get to use up quite a bit of almond milk and still have many `just in case` cartons left. Just in case of what!!!! oh I know a winter like we had in 2010, when I didn`t get away from the village for six weeks. Haha, it hasn`t happened and now I`ve got to get through the lot of it
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I know what you mean Pastures re basing a meal around meat.

It must be just SO much easier, eg:
    - bit of chicken and......
    - a chop and....

and so on and so on.

When one is eating in a vegetarian way there is no way Main Thing to think "Right. I'll have that and......".

I think one has to think rather differently as to the basic composition of a meal then imo. More along the lines, I guess, of "various bits"/hors d'oeuvres/tapas sort of way of thinking.

Hence the@
    - summat protein
    - summat veggie
    - summat of filler food

and that's the route I'm rather following personally.

Tonight's "meal" as a CBA cobbled-together "Oh well - I guess it covers all bases" sorta meal. So - sweet potatoes for filler food/roast veggie and hummus for the "summat veggie" and cheese for the "protein". Finished off with an apple. Oh well. Culinary masterpieces 'r not us - not tonight anyway.

That was after a lunch of my take on a sorta stew that a workplace canteen in one of my (rather a lot) of assorted workplaces had prior to retirement. So veggie sausages (quorn in my case)/canned tomatoes/onion/garlic - which I just accompanied in CBA fashion with some of my homemade wholemeal bread.

Gawdaloneknows what meals will be like during kitchen hiatus over next couple of weeks or so. Stopped off in Aldi and bought a ready made orzo/tomatoes/and "cant remember" thing. Had one of my spells of "carefully forgetting about all the plastic bits they will be eating in the ocean - damn it" re some "would be nice otherwise" posh fish fillets I can fry. It's gonna be really really CBA for a bit now....
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I do EAT meat, I just find it a huge commitment in using it up soonest/entirely really - and I don't like seeing/touching raw meat, which is why I mostly buy meat in a ready made form, or just simple mince/meatballs that are chucked into the SC without touching them

Even when I've fried sausages in the past I've cut the end of the packet with scissors, then squeezed the lot out and gone along snipping with scissors at the joins to separate them

I can't eat any meat on the bone, nor have food share the plate with any form of fat, bone, skin or gristle

So meat's not my first thought, nor on the menu every day

I'd far rather buy a pie to re-heat, than to buy raw meat and deal with it to make a pie... eww.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 20th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    karcher
    I think it's more difficult to decide on a "meal" if you don't eat much meat. With meat you have a definite "main item" to work around.
    Having not eaten meat for over 30 years that's not an issue for me. Although I do partake now, it is only rarely.

My problem atm is just constantly grazing stuffing my face on stuff, then having a main evening meal as well. Rather than eating the one meal a day, (other than the odd piece of fruit or single slice of toast), I spent over 30 years having. My body can't cope, that's why I'm piling on the weight.

I feel better and function better on my one decent evening meal a day and little but milk, tea and coffee in between. Comfort eating is destroying the habit of my adult lifetime..one that worked!

Goodness knows why I'm changing a tried and tested formula now?

ETA FLERKIN NEIGHBOURS
    Last edited by karcher; 20-03-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 17,098 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening all,

Meatballs and pasta has "morphed" into 2 small pork burgers baked on top of flat mushrooms with roasted tomatoes and a couple of lurking rosti cakes from Ikea. The frozen rostis are ok but I wouldn't buy them again. So another bung it in and leave it to it Feel my meals have been a bit more balanced today: banana for brekkie, LO lamb and coleslaw in a bit of stottie cake, rather a lot vac packed beetroot (yep the dreaded "pink" wee has appeared) and a big pear so not too bad on the F&V front either

I'm generally not squeamish when it comes to meat & fish and do prefer "bone in" - one exception though when I was at school I worked in a fishmongers- cod roe used to come in big tubs filled with the roes, sea water and seaweed and you had to dig about to find them. Even with gloves it was icky - it took me years to eat cod roe after that .........

"Dog poo" don't get me started - my town has the reputation of being quite "posh" (famous golf course) but unlike celebs who are "too posh to push" we have folk that are obviously "too posh to pick up" I'm never quite sure if leaving it in situ is worse than bagging it and hanging the bag from something - both are revolting

Farway - Ginger marmalade now we are talking
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 17,098 Thanks
    caronc
    Having not eaten meat for over 30 years that's not an issue for me. Although I do partake now, it is only rarely.

My problem atm is just constantly grazing stuffing my face on stuff, then having a main evening meal as well. Rather than eating the one meal a day, (other than the odd piece of fruit or single slice of toast), I spent over 30 years having. My body can't cope, that's why I'm piling on the weight.

I feel better and function better on my one decent evening meal a day and little but milk, tea and coffee in between. Comfort eating is destroying the habit of my adult lifetime..one that worked!

Goodness knows why I'm changing a tried and tested formula now?

ETA FLERKIN NEIGHBOURS
    Originally posted by karcher
    Grazing when my kids were wee was my downfall I think when I graze I tend to reach for junky options - so have loads of carbs which make me hungrier and so the circle continues. I try to stick to 2/3 meals a day and no or minimal snacking it's harder just now as I'm stuck at home most of the time but mainly I manage it (though when I fail I do so spectacularly ). If you've found something that works for you stick with it - have you looked at the 5:2 approach I know loads of folk find it a good way to balance their eating
    • karcher
    • By karcher 20th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    karcher
    Grazing when my kids were wee was my downfall I think when I graze I tend to reach for junky options - so have loads of carbs which make me hungrier and so the circle continues. I try to stick to 2/3 meals a day and no or minimal snacking it's harder just now as I'm stuck at home most of the time but mainly I manage it (though when I fail I do so spectacularly ). If you've found something that works for you stick with it - have you looked at the 5:2 approach I know loads of folk find it a good way to balance their eating
    I think I've been doing my own version of the 5:2 for decades before it became popular. Just need to go back to my old ways and kick this current habit. It always worked for me, I just need to get a grip...

ETA...I do think my year of neighbour troubles have a role to play though (amongst other more worrying issues)...I'm constantly on edge and have turned to food to attempt to counteract it> just listening to my neighbour very loudly, preparing to, and spitting (hoiking up (sp) iyswim), is a sure fire way of stopping me eating any time soon
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 17,098 Thanks
    caronc
    I think I've been doing my own version of the 5:2 for decades before it became popular. Just need to go back to my old ways and kick this current habit. It always worked for me, I just need to get a grip...

ETA...I do think my year of neighbour troubles have a role to play though (amongst other more worrying issues)...I'm constantly on edge and have turned to food to attempt to counteract it> just listening to my neighbour very loudly, preparing to, and spitting (hoiking up (sp) iyswim), is a sure fire way of stopping me eating any time soon
    Originally posted by karcher
    Yes I do think stress has a big part to play in how well or not we feed ourselves
    • karcher
    • By karcher 21st Mar 17, 2:52 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    karcher
    I ended up having 2 burgers and a tin of baked beans for dinner.

Just woken up feeling decidedly sick...hope I've not poisoned myself
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st Mar 17, 6:30 AM
    • 11,292 Posts
    • 63,850 Thanks
    kittie
    hope you are ok karcher

I am getting the rest of my tinned pea soup out and putting them in the food bank. Had a horrible restless long night, with heartburn all night, whenever I lay down. It was definitly the soup, had similar when I had a soup at that time previously. Just remembered that I had some weetabix later on too. Drat, now which one caused it?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm blaming "all of your" for making me put weight on.

I'll try to post fewer times in the next couple of weeks as I think posting here makes me think about food too much .... and makes me eat more food

Starving already though... eyed up those "ripen at home" plums that are still lurking ... but didn't fancy them.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 21st Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Pops up wickedly and says "pies" ....errrr "pies".....errr "pies" Pastures.

Naughty of me...
    #MeToo

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter