Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,626Posts
    • 17,164Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 132
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 16,483 Posts
    • 28,862 Thanks
    Ames
    I know what you mean. I've seen myself and one of the "queen bees" do exactly the same thing in the last week. It was accepted from her/no-one thought anything of "protecting" what she wanted. But I had to "have a word or two" to get the exact same treatment for the exact same thing. Huh??

How does that work? My father brought me up to think people should regard fairness/equal treatment between different people as an extremely important value to have and hence I try to be scrupulously "equal" in my treatment of everyone (as that's how I think people should be) - and he was inclined to "say his piece" if he didnt think something was fair.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I know, you'd think people would eventually grow out of it.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon all

Last nights cheese & brocc quiche / flan was lovely, one of the better things I have had from Asda, just the other half for tonight's dinner, not sure if to repeat the chips or mix up some instant mash, these First World problems do make me thankful at times for what I have, doesn't always stop me moaning though

Breakfast plan was yet another fried egg sarnie, but the yolk popped as I broke it into the cup. Old Style habit inherited from war time rationing years and the sometimes bad egg. I always break the egg into cup / bowl first rather than chance breaking a rotten one into my meal

So I had a one egg omelette with slice of cheese melted in it, between two slices of buttered soft white bread, nice and low cal, not

Lunch was the other BIY part baked baguette, with grilled water sodden & white bits bacon [thanks Asda] and tom with mayo

Morrison failed to provide any YS options for food this morning, so just the 5 pack of strawberry jam red stuff doughnuts to keep me going until Monday then
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 16,483 Posts
    • 28,862 Thanks
    Ames
    Afternoon all

Last nights cheese & brocc quiche / flan was lovely, one of the better things I have had from Asda, just the other half for tonight's dinner, not sure if to repeat the chips or mix up some instant mash, these First World problems do make me thankful at times for what I have, doesn't always stop me moaning though

Breakfast plan was yet another fried egg sarnie, but the yolk popped as I broke it into the cup. Old Style habit inherited from war time rationing years and the sometimes bad egg. I always break the egg into cup / bowl first rather than chance breaking a rotten one into my meal

So I had a one egg omelette with slice of cheese melted in it, between two slices of buttered soft white bread, nice and low cal, not

Lunch was the other BIY part baked baguette, with grilled water sodden & white bits bacon [thanks Asda] and tom with mayo

Morrison failed to provide any YS options for food this morning, so just the 5 pack of strawberry jam red stuff doughnuts to keep me going until Monday then
    Originally posted by Farway
    Do you do the float test with eggs?

Although I'm not bothered by broken yolks, I turn it over in the pan and squash it anyway. I don't like runny yolks in a sandwich it's too messy.
    Save
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 9,906 Posts
    • 106,478 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Frankly - just how do you find someone that thinks very much along the same lines as oneself? I've never figured that one out. I'm certain there has to be similar values - a conclusion I've come to over the years and gawdknows that's imo distinctly difficult to find on its own.
    Imho it's pure luck - cos after my first disastrous foray into the world of marriage, I'd sworn off men for life.... then I joined the Dungeons & Dragons group advertised in the Mensa magazine; and found myself with someone who is as weird as I am, has similar tastes to me, and wasn't even put off when I was diagnosed with lupus, three days before our wedding.
    The downside is I feel guilty that I'm a total burden, as my health gets gradually worse.
    I'm another one who's never fit in, I just don't seem to understand the 'rules' of social interaction.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Same here - I don't "get" most people at all, and am happier in the company of dogs than people. I've always been like that, people scare me to death.

I'm off my feed again today. All I've managed to eat all day is two cream crackers and a sliver of cheese; and even that tasted "metallic" iykwim.
    Haven't even dressed today - again.

I have to try and have something; I have visitors coming tomorrow afternoon, and I can't afford to faint from lack of food while they're here.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,164 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening everyone
    My what a lot of threads since I last posted

moneyistooshorttomention good luck with the kitchen it's such a major thing to get done but so nice when you get to the end. I had to get my kitchen completely redone due botched DIY by my ex, floors, walls, electrics the lot never mind the actual units themselves. Was a nightmare but so worth it.....

PN- I admire your discipline and precision in making one piece of shortbread Did you enjoy it?

Re fitting in - I never walked that path think it wound some of my "peers" up through the years but does mean I have a small but close circle of friends, some from way back and some newer who know I am my "own" person and wont mould to fit what the "norm" defines

Son has headed back to Newcastle so back to CFO tonight. A bung in of lamb chops, big mushrooms, tomatoes and mash. Balance is back in "wobbler" mode so going for the option with least bending/moving! May or may not make some gravy F&V has been a bit lacking the past couple of days but hey ho it will work itself out
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    karcher
    Consider that kitchen door locked - and key pocketed.

Thank you for your efforts but in vain I'm afraid

I broke in and had more toast and cheese spread then a jacket spud with more cheese triangles on the top . In my defence I did have a big mixed salad with it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 60,714 Posts
    • 354,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew

PN- I admire your discipline and precision in making one piece of shortbread Did you enjoy it?
    Originally posted by caronc
    I did .... in asmuchas it was ..... not something I'd rush to in the future though, but it's nice to know I could.

Today's been a funny old day .... glad I got the washing done, but that had me tied to the house (in case of rain) as it was all pegged on the line - and neighbours' kids were driving me MENTAL so in the end it got to about 2.45pm and I brought the washing in (nearly dry) and had to go out ... but where do you go "out" to when you've nowhere to go.... so I did some really cr4p walking around a couple of local shops without any money and no interest in what's in there - they just offered indoor space for me to pace around.

Drove home after 1.5 hours and parked...and I couldn't even face getting out of the car, so drove off again after 5 minutes of sitting in the car park ... and this time ended up in A1d1, not intending to buy any food ... just using it as a place to pace around - but I did buy food. Oops ... 10 scones, 30% off so just 33p. I also got some frozen yorkies and a bag of peas. I decided to kill some of the mixed/basics chopped veg from Sainsbobs I'd had in the freezer since Sep/Oct by making a cheese sauce, as I've got milk to use up by 25th.

The original idea was to make a cauliflower cheese, but a cauli was £1; so then I thought I'd get some frozen caulir, or cauli/broccoli, but when I got to the freezer I thought about where it'd fit ... and I remembered the old mixed veg I already had, so didn't buy any cauli in the end.

So tea was 3 small yorkshires and mixed veg in cheese sauce. You can put me down for 4/10 right there

But then the PC was misbehaving for a couple of hours and wouldn't get online .... and then I nodded off. Just woke up. Sitting here with 2 scones/orange marmalade and a coffee
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 19-03-2017 at 7:31 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 13,956 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Pastures - I find it a downside to being over here that there arent any big indoor shopping centres with nice places for a bite to eat and/or cup of coffee (errrm....admitted I'm used to some of them being quite "foodie"at that). So - no pacing round indoors here - nowhere is big enough for that.

Was the weather at yours too awful for walking round outside instead - or don't you do "going for a walk" somewhere nice countryish/seasideish sometimes? I do find one of the plus sides here is there's a good chance there'll be person/people in passing that are total strangers - but one frequently lands up getting into long conversations "passing the time of day" or maybe even "putting the world to rights" with them. It helps pass the long bus journeys to get anywhere here at any rate...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 19-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 19th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 4,595 Thanks
    Willowx
    Today has been pretty much a write off, spent most of it laying down. Had a bacon sandwich about lunch time. Decided to go to the 1845 showing of the new Kong film just so I'd actually force myself to move today, was really rather good. Lamb is now cooking whether I'll eat any tonight not sure. Have just finished the bag of grapes, once again it contained an odd number.

My kitchen is a design marvel it has not one but two dead corners and two cupboards that I have to disappear in to reach the far end and I say this as someone who's somewhere between 5'8 and 5'9 and who generally wears short sleeve tops to prevent the shrunk in the wash look that I get with long sleeves that are rarely quite long enough.

People make very little if any sense to me in general, my boss once said your soft skills are rather lacking yet somehow people still seem to respect you, which probably falls into that back handed compliment category. Thankfully he deals with people most of the time and leaves the paperwork and machines to me.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £577.39 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39 Mar: £139.29
    Grocery NSD: 51
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 12 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 60 days (mean:13,052)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 6:46 AM
    • 11,299 Posts
    • 63,911 Thanks
    kittie
    breakfast was easy, set on a timer and ready by 6.30 and will stay warm for an hour, though chance would be a fine thing re sleeping in as I always wake at 6

grapes, then pinhead oatmeal with dried cranberries, cinnamon, pinch salt, almond milk. All in rice cooker with timer and set on porridge. Nice and I feel satisfied

lunch will be hm ready meal, can`t tell which one, hope it is mutton and also washed prepared purple sprouting with sliced fennel. I have a couple of tall jars that lose the air when filled and the cap is pushed down, so washed veg stays fresh for a lot longer. Love the fact that I just need to take lid off for veg

last light food at 4.30 yesterday but fish/rice/veg meal was sufficient for the day. Just a cream scone and mug of tea. Nothing to eat between 5pm and 6.30 as is normal. I never feel hungry at night
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 7:01 AM
    • 60,714 Posts
    • 354,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Was the weather at yours too awful for walking round outside instead - or don't you do "going for a walk" somewhere nice countryish/seasideish sometimes?
    I'm not into random outside walking ... I HATE the wind/I get ear-ache and "it's boring" when you're plodding about and all you can see is luvved up couples and groups of people "having fun". And I've no "correct footwear" or warm coat so always run the risk of ending up with blisters.

Walking round in circles indoors there's no commitment to distance etc. You don't have to think about what you're wearing for the weather.

And, outside, even though at the seaside, you can't get close to the seaside without paying for parking. So the only alternative really is to walk where people walk dogs - running the risk of walking in poo, or walking alongside the noisy/smelly roadside.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 13,956 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I can get some of that Pastures.

The "commitment to distance" is more of a thing here than I've been used to - with the much more infrequent/sparse buses. That was an advantage I had previously - that there were various country-ish type walks nearby - but when I'd had enough it wouldnt be too far to go to get to a bus-stop (where I could just stand and wait for next bus - and it wouldnt take long before there was one). I do have to have different tactics here - like having a bus timetable with me and a fallback position of "If worst comes to worst and my feet have had it + no bus nearby for some time/if ever = phone a friend or local taxi service to come and 'rescue me' ".

Outdoor wear - that is more of a problem. I've recently bought both a raincoat and coat in charity shops - but they are more problematic to get there than other clothes (difficult to find ones that arent 'old person' style I find) and I've never yet seen any of those outdoor waterproof jackets there on the rails. Will have to put thinking cap on re that.

Footwear - I have bought a pair of trainers in a cheapie shop since moving here - and am surprised to find they are actually lasting pretty well - despite only costing £25.

Wind - I hear you. I'm not used to wind - and there's lots of it here. It's frequent and quite often gale force. I don't know the answer to that one I must admit. I land up getting windblown in the more "normal" level winds here and avoiding the gale force ones if I possibly can. That one is a difficulty....and the only constructive thing I've been able to think of to deal with it is that I've bought a mega-strength umbrella that says it can handle winds of up to ?60mph?. I sympathise - as I really don't know what to do about wind either.

Dog-walkers leaving poo around is also a nuisance thing - having to watch out they havent left it sitting around for the rest of us to inadvertently step into. No way of dealing with those other people that have an Idiot Gene in that respect that I can think of either...
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,164 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning everyone
    Decidedly wintery again here this morning and temperature due to hit freezing tonight

My son looked me out some pots and a bucket of compost so over the next few days I'll get some seeds planted and on to my conservatory window ledges and just hope there is enough light and warmth to sprout them

Didn't eat all my lamb last night so there is just enough left to slice thinly for a sandwich at lunchtime. Not sure about tonight I've a half notion for spaghetti and meatballs but unsure if I cba making a tomato sauce, if not I might just do "something" with the couple of big flat mushrooms lurking in the fridge. I wish I had some halloumi but don't or it would be getting griddled with one of said mushrooms and slapped in a roll.......
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • meg72
    • By meg72 20th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 45,381 Thanks
    meg72
    Was hoping for some gardening weather but not to be today its dissing down. Did get 5 pots of potatoes done yesterday and noticed today 5 of the 10 red robin tomato seeds I put it are sprouting. I love these as can be grown inside on windowsill, only get about 2ft tall and loads of cherry tomatoes. Have used the last of my 4p Christmas eve cabbages which is sad lol.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 60,714 Posts
    • 354,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ... that leaves one small crust of bread in the freezer, one egg in the box, but I did use up the half a tin of beans that were in the fridge.

No idea about lunch .... my breakfast was lovely so I won't be thinking about food for hours.

I do still have a whole swede lurking in the kitchen that's starting to look a little dated.... I need to do something with that, so that'll probably end up as mashed swede ... with some mashed potato and gravy .... but what else to go with that? A pie is most logical, but I've had a lot of pies recently so shouldn't.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,164 Thanks
    caronc
    Was hoping for some gardening weather but not to be today its dissing down. Did get 5 pots of potatoes done yesterday and noticed today 5 of the 10 red robin tomato seeds I put it are sprouting. I love these as can be grown inside on windowsill, only get about 2ft tall and loads of cherry tomatoes. Have used the last of my 4p Christmas eve cabbages which is sad lol.
    Originally posted by meg72
    I grow cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets and they do really well. One I like for inside is megabyte it grows to about 3 feet and the fruits are medium sized - for a bush type it's quite tidy
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ... that leaves one small crust of bread in the freezer, one egg in the box, but I did use up the half a tin of beans that were in the fridge.

No idea about lunch .... my breakfast was lovely so I won't be thinking about food for hours.

I do still have a whole swede lurking in the kitchen that's starting to look a little dated.... I need to do something with that, so that'll probably end up as mashed swede ... with some mashed potato and gravy .... but what else to go with that? A pie is most logical, but I've had a lot of pies recently so shouldn't.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Sausages
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 60,714 Posts
    • 354,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Sausages
    Originally posted by caronc
    You're right, but I struggle with sausages.... I love them, but they're best done fried imho .... nice, juicy, fried sausages. Except I can't use the hob. So oven-baked ... except they can be a bit "spitty" in the mini oven; I could cover them and just finish them off uncovered to brown .... but I hate the idea of hot fat hitting the grill elements - and the impossibility of then cleaning those, which might make the elements smoke (setting off the alarm), or even spark/catch fire...

I do buy some ready cooked ones sometimes.

I really need to work on a solar oven outside in the garden this summer, just for sausages (yes, it's on the list as a plan). I'm also working on a mini bbq, using an old pie tin
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 13,956 Posts
    • 37,920 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Large flat mushrooms = that could be something like garlicy soft cheese + few chopped nuts + few breadcrumbs used as filler and whacked into oven for 20 minutes or so??

Maybe a few tomatoes put in another casserole dish in the oven and roasted at the same time to serve with them?
    #MeToo

• caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,164 Thanks
    caronc
    You're right, but I struggle with sausages.... I love them, but they're best done fried imho .... nice, juicy, fried sausages. Except I can't use the hob. So oven-baked ... except they can be a bit "spitty" in the mini oven; I could cover them and just finish them off uncovered to brown .... but I hate the idea of hot fat hitting the grill elements - and the impossibility of then cleaning those, which might make the elements smoke (setting off the alarm), or even spark/catch fire...

I do buy some ready cooked ones sometimes.

I really need to work on a solar oven outside in the garden this summer, just for sausages (yes, it's on the list as a plan). I'm also working on a mini bbq, using an old pie tin
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You can cook "fried" sausages in a slow cooker, just pop them in, pop on high, turn after 2 hours, reduce to low cook for around 3 hours
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Outdoor-Portable-Barbecue-Festival/dp/B013C4XCOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490013275&sr=1-1&keywords=bucket+barbecue it's fab
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,164 Thanks
    caronc
    Large flat mushrooms = that could be something like garlicy soft cheese + few chopped nuts + few breadcrumbs used as filler and whacked into oven for 20 minutes or so??

Maybe a few tomatoes put in another casserole dish in the oven and roasted at the same time to serve with them?
    That was what I was thinking along the lines of
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

8,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin