Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,795Posts
    • 18,030Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 127
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 14,259 Posts
    • 38,629 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    What a charmer of a neighbour (not!).

You could try out the "Are you a nice person?" quiz there in today's Daily Mail on him. Apparently rather fewer people pass the test than those that think they will - appparently about a third of people think they will pass it. Most of them are deluded - only about 2% of people actually pass it

Mygawd!!!! Just as well I'm a cynic anyway....and yep...I passed it...
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 107,959 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Thankfully that neighbour has gone now; having done the loft conversion and everything else, he sold the place, and went away to make some other poor bu88er's life hell for a couple of years....

The people who have it now regularly park three cars out in the close, which makes it awkward getting out of our drive (they don't use the newly-converted garage as a garage at all) but other than that, they're not too much of a problem.

I probably wouldn't pass that test - but then, I've never claimed to be a nice person.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11,387 Posts
    • 64,988 Thanks
    kittie
    t the blighter told me he'd f....ing well do what he wanted when he f....ing well wanted to do it, and if I didn't like it, he'd hammer at 11o'clock at night.
    I hope you can get a satisfactory end to this; noise nuisance is awful. x
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I s*dding hope these people get karma back big time

Out all day tomorrow, so already made a small salad in a box, plus a scone plus small pot of stewed apple from the freezer. Tea (too early for dinner as last meal is at 5ish) tomorrow will be turkey casserole made today. If I don`t get it ready then I`ll only be so tempted by a fish and chip shop or other similar and I haven`t eaten that for years, on purpose

Last meal today was two wholefood crackers with one slice of cheddar slices between them. Tbh having the sausage, black pud and tomato at lunchtime stopped any urge to grab cake as I felt satisfied all afternoon. Just had a green juice too and feel pretty well ok with my food balance today
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 18,030 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning chums

Happy friday and more importantly I hope its very peaceful for everyone

Todays cooking for one is back to yesterdays pizza plan. Tuna anchovy and pineapple
    lol not ever in a million years

Having said that I have some pineapple to use up for something so was thinking a very retro pineapple upside down cake cant remember the last time I had some of that but I do remember it being scrummy On the other hand if anyone has any nice ideas for pineapple that dont involve a ham pizza that let me know I think I need inspiration
    Originally posted by Nelski
    I love pineapple upside down cake so that would get my vote -
    Other suggestions:-
    Added with ham (or spam) to veg fried rice
    Gammon steak and pineapple
    With chicken, turkey or pork in a sweet chilli or sweet and sour sauce
    Chopped fine and added with cheese to coleslaw
    Pineapple and mango salsa
    On top of a burger "Aussie"-style

Wee change of plan tonight so steak dinner tomorrow. My son was in M&S earlier and got some of their Southern Fried chicken portions and deli coleslaw so we'll have that with a baked spud
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 61,007 Posts
    • 356,320 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've always loved pineapple upside down cake/pudding - we used to have it for school dinners.... but I don't make it as I'd only need one pineapple ring... and then you get to thinking about that little cherry in the middle, and it's half a cherry ... and I don't have half a cherry.

It comes under the heading of "Not really ideal for one as it involves too many items you'd not wish to use more than once every 3-5 years".
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 12,173 Posts
    • 35,756 Thanks
    Nelski
    thanks for the ideas I be cooking this on sunday as I am out to the theatre tomorrow so just planning a light afternoon tea then maybe a kebab on the way home home

Anyway for sunday Im thinking a chicken sweet and sour followed by these which would also help use up spare banana

Teasing myself to pizza time now ...hank marvin

Edited to add.....I officially give up on Lidl... after the awful bread a couple of weeks ago and now probably the worst pizza ever.... its off the list. Crackers and cheese I guess then
    Last edited by Nelski; 17-03-2017 at 8:04 PM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 13,113 Thanks
    karcher
    So far an apple, some cheese and some choirzo slices.

No idea what's next but there will be more. Got a headache, had it all day, so can't think about it atm.

Same as ever noise wise...I honestly think they are doing it on purpose

Talking to a friend about it today, she said she and her DH think they wouldn't be so inconsiderate if I wasn't alone and agree that I make myself more of a target if it's obvious that I'm the one complaining

I resent them for making my life a misery in my own home, but feel I have few options.

Ferkin Bar stewards

ETA playing them at their own game...music is turned up very high to drown out their TV and banging cupboards
    Last edited by karcher; 17-03-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 29,026 Thanks
    Ames
    So far an apple, some cheese and some choirzo slices.

No idea what's next but there will be more. Got a headache, had it all day, so can't think about it atm.

Same as ever noise wise...I honestly think they are doing it on purpose

Talking to a friend about it today, she said she and her DH think they wouldn't be so inconsiderate if I wasn't alone and agree that I make myself more of a target if it's obvious that I'm the one complaining

I resent them for making my life a misery in my own home, but feel I have few options.

Ferkin Bar stewards

ETA playing them at their own game...music is turned up very high to drown out their TV and banging cupboards
    Originally posted by karcher
    I think you said you live in a block of flats? They probably won't know it's you if there's a few possibilities.

I used to be on a tenants and residents committee, we'd sometimes get information passed to us and pass it on to the council or police (it was a council estate) where appropriate. I never heard of anyone realising who the report had come from.

Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 29,026 Thanks
    Ames
    Well, it was touch and go whether I had the stir fry, went out for fish and chips or had cereal, but I managed to go with the stir fry, yay.

It wasn't very nice though Probably because I've never cooked it before, I think I was a bit heavy on the soy sauce. Plus it had loads of beansprouts, which I don't like.

I had a few slices of cooked halloumi with it. I'm not sure what it's called when it's done in a frying pan but with no fat or oil, just dry. Fried? Grilled? Sauted?

I'm not sure how many portions of f&v to count it as. It was all veg and the bag was 320g, so that should be four, but the bag said half a bag was one portion which would make it two. I'm going with four I think.

So I'm on six today and might have some tinned fruit with cream in a bit.

• karcher
    • By karcher 17th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 13,113 Thanks
    karcher
    I think you said you live in a block of flats? They probably won't know it's you if there's a few possibilities.

I used to be on a tenants and residents committee, we'd sometimes get information passed to us and pass it on to the council or police (it was a council estate) where appropriate. I never heard of anyone realising who the report had come from.

Save
    Originally posted by Ames
    Thanks Ames

Unfortunately the surrounding flats aren't permanently occupied, that's why I'm waiting till others are here before I complain...otherwise they'd know it was me and I'm rather daunted by that fact
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 29,026 Thanks
    Ames
    I totally get that, I was the same when I moved in here, if the shenanigans had been going on for years without anyone complaining it would have been completely obvious it was me. Then just as I got ready to complain a new family moved in at the other side so I couldn't do anything in case they were unfairly blamed.

If you start a diary now then at least you'll have all the information when the time's right.

• meg72
    • By meg72 17th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 4,968 Posts
    • 45,448 Thanks
    meg72
    The next time I CBA and resort to the chippy I will think of this lady.

https://www.facebook.com/greatbigstory/videos/vb.1404914223144340/1608830812752679/?type=2&theater
    Slimming World at target
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 61,007 Posts
    • 356,320 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I managed to go with the stir fry, yay.

It wasn't very nice though Probably because I've never cooked it before, I think I was a bit heavy on the soy sauce. Plus it had loads of beansprouts, which I don't like.
    The "modern generation" seem to swear by it - can't see the fascination myself. It's "take some raw vegetables, shredded, and a few other things, then toss them in oil in a hot pan for a bit, then lob into a bowl".

All that oil goes all into the atmosphere, coating the kitchen - and most people probably make a shocking one, just convincing themselves they're good cooks

It's "just stir fry" - nothing to get excited about.

I think you're right about bean sprouts - while I like a few in a dish of plain chow mein cooked at the chinese takeaway, you don't really want/need more than 12 or so ... it's just for the crunch.... a small tin of water chestnuts would do as good a job, except you only really want 12 slices of that too ... it's hard to get quantities right.

I think stir fry is probably best when stir frying anything BUT veggies, to be honest... meat, sauce, few noodles, stir, sizzle, flip, serve. Bugg4h veggies.

I bet there was some TV chef/marketing plan some years back to flog woks.

Don't feel bad for it not turning out well - yours is probably no worse than 99% of other people's efforts, but they're blinkered to their own abilities
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-03-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 61,007 Posts
    • 356,320 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....they wouldn't be so inconsiderate if I wasn't alone
    Originally posted by karcher
    It is true that couples tend to not view singles as equal to them - and will, if they're "that sort" just think they can do what they like etc because they have you out-numbered. Aggressive bugg4hs can really take the pee, because they think they can, because you're alone/single and really don't matter ... at all. Not to them, not to anybody ...

And there's nothing you can do to "fight" them because they always win, because they have the trump card: they outnumber you.

Ditto with people with kids: Got the trump card.... what do you know, you've not got/had kids.... trump, trump, trump. They always win.

I hope they shove off soon .... so long as they don't move next to me of course!
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 29,026 Thanks
    Ames
    The "modern generation" seem to swear by it - can't see the fascination myself. It's "take some raw vegetables, shredded, and a few other things, then toss them in oil in a hot pan for a bit, then lob into a bowl".

All that oil goes all into the atmosphere, coating the kitchen - and most people probably make a shocking one, just convincing themselves they're good cooks

It's "just stir fry" - nothing to get excited about.

I think you're right about bean sprouts - while I like a few in a dish of plain chow mein cooked at the chinese takeaway, you don't really want/need more than 12 or so ... it's just for the crunch.... a small tin of water chestnuts would do as good a job, except you only really want 12 slices of that too ... it's hard to get quantities right.

I think stir fry is probably best when stir frying anything BUT veggies, to be honest... meat, sauce, few noodles, stir, sizzle, flip, serve. Bugg4h veggies.

I bet there was some TV chef/marketing plan some years back to flog woks.

Don't feel bad for it not turning out well - yours is probably no worse than 99% of other people's efforts, but they're blinkered to their own abilities
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I didn't use any oil... maybe I should have. When I was a kid we had it every monday to use up leftover meat, I didn't like it then but cooked it just the same as mum did.

I've got a better quality tub of stir fry veg in the fridge, I think that'll be better. Or I might try buying veg and mixing it myself. And maybe resort to buying sauce, but I'd rather not because of the hgih sugar content.
    Save

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 61,007 Posts
    • 356,320 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... cooked it just the same as mum did.
    It might be that you cooked old fashioned "fry up of stuff" rather than stir fry.

Stir fries rely on the wok getting hot (wok because of the big surface area) - so hot it is at smoking point, with a spray of oil ...then having all the ingredients lined up and ready to toss in - then you toss them in and keep them moving in the super hot pan before sliding the lot out into a bowl.

So, hot+oil = stir fry.

Pan + stuff = "fry up some stuff".

• Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 29,026 Thanks
    Ames
    It might be that you cooked old fashioned "fry up of stuff" rather than stir fry.

Stir fries rely on the wok getting hot (wok because of the big surface area) - so hot it is at smoking point, with a spray of oil ...then having all the ingredients lined up and ready to toss in - then you toss them in and keep them moving in the super hot pan before sliding the lot out into a bowl.

So, hot+oil = stir fry.

Pan + stuff = "fry up some stuff".

No, it was a stir fry that mum did, in a wok, with veg bought specially, including water chestnuts and beansprouts, and noodles and soy and oyster sauces.

I heated the wok up, put in a splash of soy sauce and a splash of mirin, then chucked all the veg from the bag in. My mistake I think was then adding more soy. And in just tipping the whole lot onto the plate, instead of scooping out the veg, so that all the soy sauce pooled on the plate.

I'll learn for next time!
    Save

• By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 14,259 Posts
    • 38,629 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It is true that couples tend to not view singles as equal to them - and will, if they're "that sort" just think they can do what they like etc because they have you out-numbered. Aggressive bugg4hs can really take the pee, because they think they can, because you're alone/single and really don't matter ... at all. Not to them, not to anybody ...

And there's nothing you can do to "fight" them because they always win, because they have the trump card: they outnumber you.

Ditto with people with kids: Got the trump card.... what do you know, you've not got/had kids.... trump, trump, trump. They always win.

I hope they shove off soon .... so long as they don't move next to me of course!
    - and I so have to agree with you PN. There are couples out there that think they can "walk over" a woman because she's single - but one has a strong suspicion they wouldnt try it if one had a 6' tall husband (or even a short little husband) living with you.

It gets easier as one gets older. I found, after a while, back in my home area that, one way or another, I'd "built up" over the years that people either knew I was part of a rather large circle of people or knew about a Major Fight I'd had on my hands (and won) and stopped pulling the "treat her like a single woman - and impose". Then I moved to this area and didn't have either of those things - and had another Major Fight on my hands (this time with neighbours) before they "got my measure" and now leave me alone - as they've realised I'll do my research and stand firm. I know what you mean by trying to "outnumber" you - but I retaliate with "You are one household. I am one household. The size of the household is irrelevant".

But yes - the "Child Card" - and I've never yet figured out how to deal with people pulling that one out. It seems to be so ingrained in society currently that it's regarded as a Trump Card and played at intervals (to keep more of one's income from the Government/get cheaper rates for things/to get better treatment socially). In "social" circumstances I'll stand firm and give (and expect) equal treatment for everyone - regardless of whether they have a "Child card" around or no. But it is hard on those occasions where there is nothing one can do ...

and, back onto food, and personally I like to throw in some peanut butter or toasted nuts on top with stir-fries. Not particularly culinary masterpieces - but they do come in handy for using up "odds and sods".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 18-03-2017 at 7:56 AM.

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 18th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 12,173 Posts
    • 35,756 Thanks
    Nelski
    - and I so have to agree with you PN. There are couples out there that think they can "walk over" a woman because she's single - but one has a strong suspicion they wouldnt try it if one had a 6' tall husband (or even a short little husband) living with you.

It gets easier as one gets older. I found, after a while, back in my home area that, one way or another, I'd "built up" over the years that people either knew I was part of a rather large circle of people or knew about a Major Fight I'd had on my hands (and won) and stopped pulling the "treat her like a single woman - and impose". Then I moved to this area and didn't have either of those things - and had another Major Fight on my hands (this time with neighbours) before they "got my measure" and now leave me alone - as they've realised I'll do my research and stand firm.

But yes - the "Child Card" - and I've never yet figured out how to deal with people pulling that one out. It seems to be so ingrained in society currently that it's regarded as a Trump Card and played at intervals (to keep more of one's income from the Government/get cheaper rates for things/to get better treatment socially).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    well said moneystooshorttomention and PN

Agree about the age element helping ...I think it was menopause that turned me into someone completely comfortable in my own skin and if others didnt like it tough.

I use the counter kid card by the way for the real annoying women ...it confuses if nothing else....you smile at them in a very patronising way and say "of course you will never understand because you havent lived without your kids. Its a very different perspective" I always finds it shuts them up

I must admit that is the only real reason I post on this thread because it is about cooking for one. If there was a thread about cooking for your darling husband I would probably swerve it Couples and families have different perspectives as do as singles we I guess.

Anyway should I ever get a a darling husband first of all please tell me not to call him a darling husband and secondly kick me away to the numerous threads about smug married cooking
    Last edited by Nelski; 18-03-2017 at 8:06 AM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 14,259 Posts
    • 38,629 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Oh...it's the being sorry for me for not having a husband bit that I notice sometimes (for some reason - particularly from men since I moved here) that can grate. I've got a good answer to that one - ie that I had several chances and turned them all down (ie because they werent Mr Right)

I have shrewd suspicions that quite a lot of people married someone other than Mr/Miss Right and probably knew it (consciously or "in their heart of hearts") at the time they married them even.

There just isn't a counter to "I never met Him - so that's why I'm not married" and a rueful shrug of shoulders whilst saying it. Because those that have been very lucky and met Mr/Miss Right know they are privileged/lucky people for having done so and wouldnt "rub it in my face" that I havent been so lucky. Those that know they married Mr Someone Else daren't admit it to me...(as they know I'd be thinking "Well I held out for Him. So don't complain/lord it because you didn't"). They had the choice to "hold out" - the same as I did and their decision was not to do so...

But...yes...it is a different approach to food that we have in the main I guess. That "Groundhog Day" having to eat the same meal two days running thing for instance....

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter