Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,064Posts
    • 14,008Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 126
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'm confused..please explain? I'm anxious enough

I have more noise now, banging cupboard doors, shouting and furniture being moved...

Feel I'm missing something from the earlier post, but no idea what
    Originally posted by karcher
    Im with you karcher ...no idea what katkin meant
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'm confused..please explain? I'm anxious enough

I have more noise now, banging cupboard doors, shouting and furniture being moved...

Feel I'm missing something from the earlier post, but no idea what
    could you maybe try some noise reducing headphones? I know that means more noise in effect but at least its your choice of noise. I am so feeling for you ......hit the cheese hard
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    katkin
    Not me katkin its Karcher
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Oops, apologies to both of you

I likely need my bed! Drat...
    • Ames
    • By Ames 16th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 16,173 Posts
    • 28,222 Thanks
    Ames
    Would you please allow me a completely off topic rant..feel free to skip

I am both

and

I may have moaned about this before, but I truly am at breaking point now....every bloody night the noise, banging, noise, more banging, shouting, banging..from my bloody awful neighbours

One particular banging of an inbuilt cupboard door had me jumping out of my skin earlier...I feel so anxious and unsettled. I have this every bloody night. I can't relax or chill after getting in from a day at work because I have next door making so much noise.. I already have high blood pressure I bet it's through the roof just now.

As I type yet another slammed door..it actually makes the wall shake AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh It's so ferkin inconsiderate.

Before suggesting I approach them, I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak English, they are also not approachable and never say hello even though I always do when I see them.

Basically I am at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do the noise is not during anti social hours but it really is having a detrimental effect on me

Oh to live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere where only the wild animals and weather make any noise

Sorry for the rant...guess being alone and having no one to off-load on/ here to share the misery my noisy neighbours are causing, means maybe this isn't that far off topic..?

Off to raid the fridge as I know I have cheese and I class that as comfort food
    You have my sympathies. Next door (not attached though) is a drug dealing pimp who has women shouting and screaming outside his door nearly every night, wanting drugs or wanting their things back. It calmed down a bit over winter but it's just started up. At least I can understand what they're saying, it must be even more stressful if you can't.

I'd say contact your local authority, and keep a noise diary.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    katkin
    Oh dear I seem to have post in the wrong place...oh well I do need my bed, it's been a long day!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,264 Thanks
    karcher
    could you maybe try some noise reducing headphones? I know that means more noise in effect but at least its your choice of noise. I am so feeling for you ......hit the cheese hard
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Yes that is an option. I already use ear plugs a lot

I often feel like turning my speakers to the wall, turning my music up full blast, donning my ear plugs and going to bed.
    I did do that once when it was nearing midnight..they hammered on the wall

...trouble is that disturbs other neighbours too and then I'd be accused of being anti social...I can't win really.

I really think they have no idea/nor care, how much their noise disturbs me
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,264 Thanks
    karcher
    Oh dear I seem to have post in the wrong place...oh well I do need my bed, it's been a long day!
    Originally posted by katkin
    Don't worry about it
    We've all done it I'm sure
    Last edited by karcher; 16-03-2017 at 9:47 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 58,800 Thanks
    kittie

I'd say contact your local authority, and keep a noise diary.
    Save
    Originally posted by Ames
    100% support this, get the ball rolling and see if you can talk to their other side neighbours.

Have they been there long? Maybe it is a transitory place for them. They need to learn our considerate ways and maybe the quickest way would be for a council official to have a little chat
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning everyone

Karcher & Ames you have my utmost sympathies, I live in a terraced house thankfully with thick walls and so far lovely neighbours though I know that could change. My poor Dad suffered for years with the family across the landing - the only positive thing IMO to come out of the "bedroom" tax was when the elder son got jailed for murder they couldn't afford the rent and did a "flit", lovely family in there now

PN - I suffer from hyperacusis too , one of the myriad of issues associated with Meniere's and it is really random things that trigger it squealing brakes are the worst they don't even need to be that loud for it to trigger and I fall over.

Nelski - lucky you M&S prawns and YS what's not to like

I'm probably not CFO tonight (I'm hoping son might cook) and we are having a steak dinner so looking forward to that. It's still really horrible weather-wise here so another day for "winter-type" meals, thankfully the salady type bits I have lurking will keep for a good bit

I've still got mice - total caught so far is 7 the record a good few years ago was 12 and I'm really hoping not to reach or beat it
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,264 Thanks
    karcher
    Thanks all for your support

The neighbours below the nightmare ones are away atm but back soon, so I shall talk to them too..safety in numbers and all that. I have talked to others before and I know they hear them too but not as affected as me as I am next door.

I will then see if we can contact the landlord as I would rather try and keep things as friendly as possible for fear that things may get worse if I don't take the softly softly approach

After googling hyperacusis I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't suffer from it. I have always been incredibly sensitive to certain noise and get very stressed and anxious as a result. I get really stressed if the TV is on loud and someone tries to talk to me..I get in to a panic because I can't cope with the different noises.

But other things don't bother me. I used to live directly under Heathrow airport flight path only a few miles from the airport..didn't even notice the planes..but someone slamming a door or beeping a car horn had me trembling!

Back on topic..after grazing on cheese last night I did eventually heat up the last portion of my spicy tomato, aubergine thingy with some rice...Still got the washing up to do though!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks all for your support

The neighbours below the nightmare ones are away atm but back soon, so I shall talk to them too..safety in numbers and all that. I have talked to others before and I know they hear them too but not as affected as me as I am next door.

I will then see if we can contact the landlord as I would rather try and keep things as friendly as possible for fear that things may get worse if I don't take the softly softly approach

After googling hyperacusis I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't suffer from it. I have always been incredibly sensitive to certain noise and get very stressed and anxious as a result. I get really stressed if the TV is on loud and someone tries to talk to me..I get in to a panic because I can't cope with the different noises.

But other things don't bother me. I used to live directly under Heathrow airport flight path only a few miles from the airport..didn't even notice the planes..but someone slamming a door or beeping a car horn had me trembling!

Back on topic..after grazing on cheese last night I did eventually heat up the last portion of my spicy tomato, aubergine thingy with some rice...Still got the washing up to do though!
    Sounds like a sensible approach. I've just cleaned up after last's night rather late dinner and am currently scoffing a couple of LO bangers in a bit of stottie cake Suspect today is not going to be great on either calorie or F&V wise
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 59,641 Posts
    • 348,360 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Another day - another s0ddin' meal to have to think about ... or not.

Not eaten so far today - will probably have wheat biscuits, milk, sugar as I've got milk in the house and that's a no brainer.

Also got half a baked spud in the fridge - so that could be reheated with cheese.... that sounds like a goer. That particular cheese needs using up as it's got a very short lifespan.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning chums

Happy friday and more importantly I hope its very peaceful for everyone

Todays cooking for one is back to yesterdays pizza plan. Tuna anchovy and pineapple
    lol not ever in a million years

Having said that I have some pineapple to use up for something so was thinking a very retro pineapple upside down cake cant remember the last time I had some of that but I do remember it being scrummy On the other hand if anyone has any nice ideas for pineapple that dont involve a ham pizza that let me know I think I need inspiration
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 58,800 Thanks
    kittie
    I have CBA big time today, so am making the effort to get prepp`d up before the CBA means jam on toast for all meals

usual breakfast, then had to drive neighbour for long distance bus, sainsbury on way back. I feel like meat, as well as the cba coming, so am cooking sausage, black pud, tomato in a frying pan, no oil. While cooking I have thrown together a turkey casserole for slow cooking, already had the diced turkey, opened wine etc. Thrown in celeriac, stock pot, frozen already saute`ed base of shallots etc, swede, tomato, carrot, shitake etc. Had to be quick otherwise I would not have bothered and now will be enough for four meals, will freeze three, as well as the oven keeping the room warm

Will be having veg juice later, mostly green stuff. Already eaten an easy peeler and few black grapes. Got kefir to use up so will make some yummy no-sugar scones, another quick grab, from the freezer, item. Ok to do if I do it in stages ie rubbing the butter in when I can `spare` five minutes then wait until oven is hot for casserole
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 59,641 Posts
    • 348,360 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had the spud/cheese in the end.

While in the kitchen I looked at what to focus on - I've still got a whole s0ddin' swede I thought was a good idea when I bought it over a week ago. There's meatballs/tomato sauce too. I've eggs but they're fine for now.

I think tea will therefore be spaghetti/tomato sauce and meatballs. If I had other stuff I'd chuck that in too, but I don't have other stuff, e.g. if I had some peppers or a carrot to grate or even half a pineapple ring ... or, well, anything. But to add anything to the meatballs would mean opening something new, generating more "leftovers" with a limited lifespan... so I'll keep it simple.

That's the trouble - the miniature quantities involved mean it's harder to add things on a whim.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 16,173 Posts
    • 28,222 Thanks
    Ames
    Karcher - I'd keep a noise diary for a couple of weeks before contacting the landlord, so that if they try to fob you off you can give times and details to prove it's not just the odd day here and there.

CaronC - you have my sympathies, I had mice when I moved in here. It wasn't too bad to start with, just an odd one. Then one day I went in the kitchen and there must have been at least five in varous places on the worktops who all raced back to a corner where they could escape. It was like some horror movie. I finally got rid of them for good through a mixture of humane traps strategically placed, and wire wool in any hole they might be able to squeeze through, which is surprisingly small.

Today's been an avocado and banana for breakfast, and tea will be a bag of stir fry.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 13,172 Posts
    • 36,036 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Not eaten so far today - will probably have wheat biscuits, milk, sugar as I've got milk in the house and that's a no brainer.

Also got half a baked spud in the fridge - so that could be reheated with cheese.... that sounds like a goer. That particular cheese needs using up as it's got a very short lifespan.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Now that's a term I use - ie that something is a "soddin' whatever-it-is". But in a rather different context. I apply it to anything that "shouldnt be". So a repair to anything electrical in my house, for instance, is a "soddin' repair" (as I've put time and money into getting the electrics modernised - so a repair shouldnt happen ever in my lifetime).

Healthcare costs are also a "soddin' " expense (we're supposed to have an NHS/and why is my body having a health problem anyway?) and so on....

But then food is a pleasure to me - as well as a necessity to keep my body functional. Pleasures are never "soddin' " imo. It's the "shouldnt happen" necessities that will get that label.

Back onto food and lunch was a couple of slices of my homemade wholemeal bread (toasted), chunk of cheese, tomatoes, olives. Errrm...I can see a theme emerging here - as in I'm all too prone to grabbing a chunk of cheese for my figures sake. Dinner - well I've just hoicked an UFO out of the freezer and hoping it will defrost in time for dinner tonight. Not got much idea at all what it is - other than I think there is some rice in it by the look of it.

Must declutter my freezer - as I am coming up to the time of year when I'm likely to start filling it up again.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 17-03-2017 at 2:43 PM.
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 6,217 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I was in same situation this morning, until my lurch around Lidl provided a YS [actually it is red S, being Lidl] of a chicken red Thai curry for £1.04, dinner solved

Pineapple, I still have 3/4 left of my 50p one, had 1/4 with LO thick cream, now stuck with the rest, the upside down pud sounds nice, but I have never made one and doubt I ever will. I did think of bunging crumble on it, or perhaps do something nuclear in the micro, or more likely watch it get older until I get fed up and eat it as is

My unknown white fish yesterday turned out to be haddock, which unfortunately gave it's life in vain, it was like leather, and now I have opened pack of frozen haddock which will be in the freezer for a looooong time until I think of something to do with them, perhaps haddock & pineapple pizza ?

Lunch was easy, cheese, tom & cuc sarnie, and just one biscuit this morning

This weekend's food is a big unknown, hoping for inspiration or miracle, like many of us I have a food and more food but loads of CBAitis whne it comes to doing something with it
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 9,561 Posts
    • 103,279 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Just been catching up with the thread - 'fraid I's a poorly Wolf today, so am parked on the sofa in my dressing gown.
    Karcher - I'd keep a noise diary for a couple of weeks before contacting the landlord, so that if they try to fob you off you can give times and details to prove it's not just the odd day here and there.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Karcher this is good advice; do this while you're getting your other neighbours on board to speak to landlord.
    You do have my sympathy also - the chap who had the bungalow next door to us (joined to ours) made my life hell for two solid years while he did a loft conversion, turned the carport into a garage, and moved the front door. Only once did I go and ask him to tone it down (he was hammering out the front door lintel, so loudly the pictures on my lounge and bedroom walls were vibrating fit to fall off, and I had a migraine at the time). I staggered out, explained to him I was trying to rest as I was ill.... and the blighter told me he'd f....ing well do what he wanted when he f....ing well wanted to do it, and if I didn't like it, he'd hammer at 11o'clock at night.
    I hope you can get a satisfactory end to this; noise nuisance is awful. x
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 59,641 Posts
    • 348,360 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Spaghetti is easier to cook than rice...fact.

I should eat it more often.

It's quicker too.

I could probably make the rice the same cooking method exactly ...but it'd still take longer (12 minutes instead of 5).

Just ate spaghetti with meatballs chopped into smaller chunks and a tomato sauce. Well tasty; well filling ... no effort required, so it's a winner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,057Posts Today

9,026Users online

Martin's Twitter