Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,079Posts
    • 5,809Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 6:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
Page 125
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 16th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Lol I may get my 10+ a day, but on the days I don't work I rarely eat before 5pm and have coffee and tea only before then . So right now I'm drinking yet another coffee.
    However I have done some tidying and cleaning; I've even cleaned the chinchilla cage out! Don't know about anyone else but I never want to eat right after cleaning. Coffee, tea or water only as I feel to dirty to eat. I've cleansed my hands at least 5 times and they still don't feel clean enough to eat with. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
    27 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening everyone,

Ended up making a sort of scrambled egg "mix up" for lunch and blooming tasty it was, diced pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes, couple of eggs, wee knob of butter and good few drops of tabasco sauce. It was nice and spicy but not too spicy.......

It's really cold again here and blowing a hooliy so I'm glad I decided on bangers and mash later. Winter is hopefully having it's final fling......
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,735 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Weather-wise = I was breathing a sigh of relief yesterday at some normal weather for once (ie bright/sunny/reasonable temperature) and thinking "At last - spring here".

Spoke too soon - it's grey/a bit rainey/colder again today and hence I'm feeling thoroughly CBA about dinner.

Think I'll just head out into the garden and pick some sorrel and have a cheese and sorrel omelette/chuck a few tomatoes/olives and maybe (for the sake of health) a bit of sauerkraut on the side. Have got some sweet potatoes that have been sitting there a while - but CBA - so I guess the "filler" for tonight will be a couple of slices of bread (well at least its homemade wholemeal - you got it....everything organic in it). Might finish off with a pudding of some fruit and top that off with a bit of Oatly "cream".

Hopefully the weather will be more "normal" tomorrow - and a bit of cooking "get up and go" will resume....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had meatballs/tomato sauce with basmati/peas.

Out of frozen peas now though....
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 16th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    Willowx
    Just had a couple of slices of toast. I seem to be eating a lot of fruit and cheap white bread this week, so the x a day is looking good at least. Bread is a strange one for me normally I make a loaf maybe once a month don't normally eat bread in between, the fancy bought stuff never tastes that good to me but every so often I get an urge for the cheap stuff.

Orange, banana, tomato and apple eaten so far today on the fruit and veg front yet whilst I'm sure three of them were well over 80g I'm capped at 4. I get variety is better that makes sense but I don't get why more of the same counts for nothing.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc

Orange, banana, tomato and apple eaten so far today on the fruit and veg front yet whilst I'm sure three of them were well over 80g I'm capped at 4. I get variety is better that makes sense but I don't get why more of the same counts for nothing.
    Originally posted by Willowx
    I had real rant about this the other day as I'm not sure that is exactly what the guidelines are saying but seems how the media is interpreting it which is a bit misleading. What to me has been lost is yes variety is good but the guidelines apart from stating juices, beans, pulses can only count as 1 a day don't actually say this.... just as much variety as possible. If it had to be 10 different F&V a day I feel it would actually say this . (steps back off of soap box)
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    I had meatballs/tomato sauce with basmati/peas.

Out of frozen peas now though....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    PN I love peas...get some more quick

BTW did I miss something/or you edit out something in the post you were going to delete or have you just not deleted it yet?
    just curious.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    This is quite good a talks more about aiming for 800g as the actual study looked at increasing the weight eaten while also identifying some types of F&V had different protective properties http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02February/Pages/Five-a-day-of-fruit-and-veg-is-good-ten-is-better.aspx
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 16th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    Willowx
    I love peas
    Originally posted by karcher
    Now I'm the opposite, whilst I've not yet come across a food that'd I'd never eat again, peas are one of the few foods i avoid if possible they're just not enjoyable to me in the slightest.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    Now I'm the opposite, whilst I've not yet come across a food that'd I'd never eat again, peas are one of the few foods i avoid if possible they're just not enjoyable to me in the slightest.
    Originally posted by Willowx
    I'm not a fussy eater but I have to say there are a few foods I would be very averse to eating again. I won't bore you by listing them though
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    "I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes my peas taste funny but it keeps them on the knife" - Ogden Nash (I think)
    I love peas........but not with honey, though my younger sister did try it
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    Would you please allow me a completely off topic rant..feel free to skip

I am both

and

I may have moaned about this before, but I truly am at breaking point now....every bloody night the noise, banging, noise, more banging, shouting, banging..from my bloody awful neighbours

One particular banging of an inbuilt cupboard door had me jumping out of my skin earlier...I feel so anxious and unsettled. I have this every bloody night. I can't relax or chill after getting in from a day at work because I have next door making so much noise.. I already have high blood pressure I bet it's through the roof just now.

As I type yet another slammed door..it actually makes the wall shake AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh It's so ferkin inconsiderate.

Before suggesting I approach them, I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak English, they are also not approachable and never say hello even though I always do when I see them.

Basically I am at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do the noise is not during anti social hours but it really is having a detrimental effect on me

Oh to live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere where only the wild animals and weather make any noise

Sorry for the rant...guess being alone and having no one to off-load on/ here to share the misery my noisy neighbours are causing, means maybe this isn't that far off topic..?

Off to raid the fridge as I know I have cheese and I class that as comfort food
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 31,553 Thanks
    Nelski
    I love peas in every single possible version mushy probably my favourite though with chips and gravy...its my northern roots

Had a nice smile today when I "sat" for my godkids who were at home from school poorly and mum needed to go shopping. She went to Marks and Spencers and it was yellow sticker time so she got some lovely prawns in thai sauce and a pack for me bargain at 1.80 its been a while since I had a stab stab ping with all this freezer eating so it was a nice treat especially as it was a M+S one
    Last edited by Nelski; 16-03-2017 at 7:16 PM.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 31,553 Thanks
    Nelski
    Would you please allow me a completely off topic rant..feel free to skip

I am both

and

I may have moaned about this before, but I truly am at breaking point now....every bloody night the noise, banging, noise, more banging, shouting, banging..from my bloody awful neighbours

One particular banging of an inbuilt cupboard door had me jumping out of my skin earlier...I feel so anxious and unsettled. I have this every bloody night. I can't relax or chill after getting in from a day at work because I have next door making so much noise.. I already have high blood pressure I bet it's through the roof just now.

As I type yet another slammed door..it actually makes the wall shake AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh It's so ferkin inconsiderate.

Before suggesting I approach them, I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak English, they are also not approachable and never say hello even though I always do when I see them.

Basically I am at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do the noise is not during anti social hours but it really is having a detrimental effect on me

Oh to live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere where only the wild animals and weather make any noise

Sorry for the rant...guess being alone and having no one to off-load on/ here to share the misery my noisy neighbours are causing, means maybe this isn't that far off topic..?

Off to raid the fridge as I know I have cheese and I class that as comfort food
    Originally posted by karcher
    Im so sorry karcher there is little worse than noise pollution and yours sounds incessant. Is there anyway you could complain to your landlord maybe or environmental health? Keep a diary for some proof ... nobody should have to put up with this. Wish I could transport you here for a visit I am so very lucky with very peaceful neighbours but I am aware that can change overnight with house moves.

Take care my friend and rant away as required
    Last edited by Nelski; 16-03-2017 at 7:18 PM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    I love peas in every single possible version mushy probably my favourite though with chips and gravy...its my northern roots

Had a nice smile today when I "sat" for my godkids who were at home from school poorly and mum needed to go shopping. She went to Marks and Spencers and it was yellow sticker time so she got some lovely prawns in thai sauce and a pack for me bargain at 1.80 its been a while since I had a stab stab ping with all this freezer eating so it was a nice treat especially as it was a M+S one
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Yum prawns...love 'em, lucky you nelski
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    Im so sorry karcher there is little worse than noise pollution and yours sounds incessant. Is there anyway you could complain to your landlord maybe or environmental health? Keep a diary for some proof ... nobody should have to put up with this. Wish I could transport you here for a visit I am so very lucky with very peaceful neighbours but I am aware that can change overnight with house moves.

Take care my friend and rant away as required
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Thank you

I may take you up on that offer one day

I'm going to try and find out who the landlord is and see if they can/ are willing to do anything. I know I am very noise sensitive but I just never feel like I can relax until I know they've gone out or to bed...but by then I feel that wound up I'm not really able to relax as I am waiting for the next noise

Thanks again Nelski
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I feel the noise pain, I've got hyperacusis, which is frequency/type dependent.

While I've 10 houses being built just 10' away all day every day I can't hear it, I don't notice it, it doesn't bother me .... but if the neighbour 2 doors up closes their patio door, or the neighbour's kids drop a ball on tarmac 80' away I'm up the wall with anxiety and stress.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,652 Thanks
    katkin
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by katkin; 16-03-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,652 Thanks
    katkin
    Nelski what a nightmare for you. What can your local authority do for you, please speak to them if you haven't already. They have do do something about it if you complain.

Ok ok I'll pea off now..
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 31,553 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nelski what a nightmare for you. What can your local authority do for you, please speak to them if you haven't already. They have do do something about it if you complain.

Ok ok I'll pea off now..
    Originally posted by katkin
    Not me katkin its Karcher
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,336Users online

Martin's Twitter