Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,077Posts
    • 5,797Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 6:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
Page 120
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,735 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks Doom & Gloom.

Fortunately - I've not got that much of a sweet tooth - so the number of times I think "I could just fancy something sweet" aren't that high.. I'd hazard a guess at maybe twice a month on average where I think "I want something sweet" and buy myself a small portion of healthier type chocolate or make myself something like a couple of medjool dates stuffed with tahini or nut butter.

Wine is my downfall I do know - though I'm getting better than I was. One bottle of wine in total last week and think it's likely to be the same this week.

I guess the majority of what surplus calories I am having would boil down to fat. I do have a tendency to grab a chunk of cheese if I want a "little something". So going more vegan would mean that was cut out.

I've got plenty of cashew nuts in - so I think my next experiment might be making some cashew "cheese" from them and I'm guessing that would be a rather better idea.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee I guess...

Must have a go at using alternative "mylks" in my coffee next too - rather than dairy milk. They seem to be around two-thirds of the calories of dairy milk. I gather oat milk seems to be the least likely to curdle in a cup of coffee?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 10,382 Posts
    • 53,273 Thanks
    kittie
    Gordon bennett, now I am sitting down and shattered, if I had a big bag of crisps in the house, or in walking distance then I would be scoffing the whole lot and in one go. I am not hungry, I have mouth hunger

muesli and almond milk first thing, one fresh ground coffee later on with slice of spicey raisin bread, last fig and an easy peeler

last of the soup, hm veg and grapefruit juice and salad with walnuts followed by good yummy chocolate

goats cheese on two small rice crackers and am going to have two of those weetabixes with my kefir and a couple of boiled sucking sweets later, I am craving something sweet in my mouth and am staying away from toast and jam if I can

karcher my body clock wakes me at that time too but I put my hand out and press the radio button, it is so quiet that I have to concentrate and next thing I wake up a couple of hours later
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Thanks Doom & Gloom.

Fortunately - I've not got that much of a sweet tooth - so the number of times I think "I could just fancy something sweet" aren't that high.. I'd hazard a guess at maybe twice a month on average where I think "I want something sweet" and buy myself a small portion of healthier type chocolate or make myself something like a couple of medjool dates stuffed with tahini or nut butter.

Wine is my downfall I do know - though I'm getting better than I was. One bottle of wine in total last week and think it's likely to be the same this week.

I guess the majority of what surplus calories I am having would boil down to fat. I do have a tendency to grab a chunk of cheese if I want a "little something". So going more vegan would mean that was cut out.

I've got plenty of cashew nuts in - so I think my next experiment might be making some cashew "cheese" from them and I'm guessing that would be a rather better idea.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee I guess...

Must have a go at using alternative "mylks" in my coffee next too - rather than dairy milk. They seem to be around two-thirds of the calories of dairy milk. I gather oat milk seems to be the least likely to curdle in a cup of coffee?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Ahh dates and nut butter, I have two dates left and that is perfect. A downfall for me thought. I buy the meridian 1kg peanut butter/cashew butter. Once open I have to decant into smaller jar otherwise I over eat it .

Wine, another possible vegan purchase! OH got me drinking wine a while ago. A lovely chocolate red wine. I've drunk a bottle before in one night . Thankfully I don't drink often; once or twice a week a most. My favourite drink right now is a vegan white Russian using vegan milk, not vegan cream.

Trying cashew cheese might be an idea.

I drink my coffee black, no sugar. It may work out it may not. There's trial and error needed unfortunately.
    27 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    caronc
    Afternoon everyone,
    Have enjoyed my food choices so far today and don't feel as "stodged" up as I did after lasagne fest. Have hit 4.5/10 F&V wise as well without trying so all good
    I've spent a mix of frustrating/satisfying afternoon rearranging part of my kitchen so it's better for my needs. Frustrating because it has taken all afternoon as I keep needing to sit down but satisfying as it will make life a wee bit easier. I treated myself to a cheapie CD/radio player as the one I had was kaput so I'm tring to work out where in the kitchen gets the best FM signal I don't think I'll be dancing around to tunes but with the spring coming I want to sit in the consevatory bit in a bright and orderly space
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    caronc
    If I took everything out of every cupboard, wiped it down with a damp cloth, jiggled everything round and put it all away again .... slowly .... I could kill an hour at most

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    A year ago I'd have been the same so an hour would be ambitious it is a huge space-that's why I'm frustrated and I was only sorting out some of the surfaces Still I'll do what I can each day until it is how I want it
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 5,366 Thanks
    karcher
    Whilst I hate to repeat myself (after posting in the 'What's for dinner' thread...I've just CFO

Aubergine, broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy HM tomato sauce...to be served with flatbreads

That's gotta be 7/10 added to my melon makes it 8/10....I mustn't gloat

Well I had to make up for yesterdays blow out somehow
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    caronc
    Whilst I hate to repeat myself (after posting in the 'What's for dinner' thread...I've just CFO

Aubergine, broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy HM tomato sauce...to be served with flatbreads

That's gotta be 7/10 added to my melon makes it 8/10....I mustn't gloat

Well I had to make up for yesterdays blow out somehow
    Originally posted by karcher
    That's sounds lovely
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Had fruit - red grapes, pear, mango and banana (4).
    Now having that vegan 'tuna' mix - chickpeas, vegan mayo, onion, peas, sweetcorn, tomato, cucumber, carrot, a little black pepper, with sweet potato and a portion of spinach (9).
    Enjoying with tea.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,735 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Me - I think I'm heading round Doom & Gloom's for dinner. Well - I would - except I don't have much of an appetite (as lunch was so late today).

Very much CBA - I've had a chunk of cheese (whoops), two slices of wholemeal toast and am about to head for a glass of milk. Well - it will be "enough" and doesnt cover the Vit. C base - but it covers most...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 57,598 Posts
    • 330,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...two slices of wholemeal toast...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    One technique I sometimes use to rein myself in is to not serve myself what I'd consider a "full portion", but to leave it. e.g. I'd have one slice of toast. I'd tell myself "the other one is still there.... have one now and if you're still hungry later you can have it then" - and I'd not always have it.

In shops when I spot lovely goodies I look at them and think to myself "when you're not such a biffer this product will still be here. It's always here. You can buy it whenever you want. If you don't buy it, it won't disappear. This is not a 'now or never' opportunity." and that would enable me to simply enjoy its existence.... and walk on.

It always works when I use it .... I don't always tell myself that though, sometimes I just SLIIIIIDE those goodies into my basket with a "Hey ho" attitude and a smug grin on my slobbering chops.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 57,598 Posts
    • 330,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Tea was healthy as it's got the word "orange" in it - AND "fruit"!

Two small fruit scones and 2 teaspoons of orange marmalade.

The 6 or so sultanas in that really make the difference don't they!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    caronc
    Tea was healthy as it's got the word "orange" in it - AND "fruit"!

Two small fruit scones and 2 teaspoons of orange marmalade.

The 6 or so sultanas in that really make the difference don't they!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    As the advert says "Every little helps".........
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    katkin
    This is one of my favourite threads here, you girls always have plenty going on! You all cheer me up

As an honoury ex single I reckon it's fine to pass by and maybe troll you all a little

Do you not think some of us are blessed with being extra hungry and having a different "full up" indicator? I'm positive it's something in the brain not the stomach because I've been given medicines before that turned me into a complete hunger monster, craving sugar and carbs more than I usually do. The minute I stopped them, it reduced.

One of my sons likes to point out that my greedy genes are what kept us living and breeding in the stone age. Of the 2 sons he also struggles with his appetite and weight, whereas the other is slender as can be, forgets to eat and is uber into nutrition and weird diet trends. They are so very different.

Anyway, the important bit of my post is about not makings the craved for crumble after crumbling it up - now portioned and in the freezer. Sometimes executing the thought is enough, knowing I can have it if I really want. But I'm still scoffing fruit on this 10 a day malarkey like nobody's business.

PN never thought about eating tin tomatoes just out of the tin before, should I be trying this?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 57,598 Posts
    • 330,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew

PN never thought about eating tin tomatoes just out of the tin before, should I be trying this?
    Originally posted by katkin
    Tinned tomatoes are magnificent served with fried bread... although I've not had that for years.

I have them as part of any cooked breakfast and on the side of mac cheese in the main.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 16-03-2017 at 3:02 PM.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 13th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 17,397 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    One of my favourite weekend breakfasts is 'squashies on toast'..... canned tomatoes on buttered toast with plenty of salt and pepper. Simple but delicious and actually quite healthy too (salt notwithstanding).
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 10,796 Posts
    • 55,489 Thanks
    elona
    I just realised that the bunch of bananas in the kitchen are very ripe now and need to be used up so tomorrow's breakfast will be a couple of mashed bananas added to a beaten egg and some flour and then made into pancakes.

With dds that normally visit a couple of times a week being away I find I have become less active in cooking and housekeeping which is embarrassing so I need to get into a routine and keep on top of things.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 16,051 Posts
    • 27,773 Thanks
    Ames
    Today started OK, with cereal, an avocado and a banana for breakfast, deteriorated with potato waffle and cheese for lunch, improved when I tried to make a smoothie with spinach, apple and kiwi, then fell down for tea when I saw an ad for Pizza Hut who have an offer on so I went and got a pizza. I'll have the other half of it tomorrow.

The smoothie didn't really work, I took the spinach out last night so it'd be defrosted but the blender really didn't like the apple, and then broke. So I've given in and ordered a nutri ninja which gets good reviews so I'll try again tomorrow. I got some reduced nectarines from the petrol station tesco so I'll try lobbing one of those in.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 19/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 10,796 Posts
    • 55,489 Thanks
    elona
    I can't stomach tinned tomatoes unless they are chopped up and cooked in a recipe yet can eat baked beans any time.

I sometimes use wine in recipes so froze some I had bought in a small bottle and also ordered a few ice cube trays so I could freeze my own rather than buying them ready frozen. I could also use the trays for home made tomato puree etc or else lemon or lime slices frozen or even grapes to use in drinks.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 13th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 4,468 Thanks
    Willowx
    Tinned tomatoes are one of those things that are a no for me, there's just something about them. On their own that is, in a sauce etc no problem, raw tomatoes on the other hand are a firm favourite and there's always some in the fruit bowl.

Had a nuked potato with over ripe brie and baked beans then a plum before i went to my evening class. Just had a couple of slices of toast with butter and marmalade and tempted to go back for a couple more.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    I filled up on rice cakes (couldn't be bothered to do onigiri - time factor) and had a couple of vegan white Russians, more tea and water. Hrm not exactly the best. Still I definitely got my fruit and vegetables in so there is that I suppose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,170Posts Today

7,294Users online

Martin's Twitter