Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,555Posts
    • 8,673Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 117
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    karcher
    Sad ... but very true. Probably while wearing cashmere and while getting ready for dinner out at the local yacht club
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Pah to them I say!

I have a few options on the CFO front today. Pizza, Fish Finger sarnies, Dhal and Flatbreads (if I cba to make any), beans on toast pasta and pesto, a veg draw full of veg type stuff....In fact too many options!

Can't think about it now it's taking up too much energy...I'll decide later!
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 338,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm now sitting with my egg/toast and a black coffee

Edit: and finished

Coffee cost is 3p
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-03-2017 at 9:22 AM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm now sitting with my egg/toast and a black coffee

Edit: and finished

Coffee cost is 3p
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I could be quite tempted by egg and soldiers, but after having egg last night I don't want them again today.

Ages since I had egg and soldiers...maybe that'll be on the menu tomorrow?
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning everyone
    Not CFO today so lasagne tonight and probably naughty lorne sausage & HP sauce sandwich for lunch I will see what the "boy" fancies when he surfaces.

Re grapes - I've still got a punnet of perfectly fine red grapes in the fridge with BB date of 29/12 which I'm working my way through!!! (No cashmere or yaghts here LOL )So I wouldn't stress about using them up if you get some just keep cold
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 338,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Re grapes - I've still got a punnet of perfectly fine red grapes in the fridge with BB date of 29/12 which I'm working my way through!!! (No cashmere or yaghts here LOL )So I wouldn't stress about using them up if you get some just keep cold
    Originally posted by caronc
    I don't struggle to use them up - they get wolfed down in 1-2 days without any trouble ... the trouble, for me, is justifying the cost for what is "nibbles" really. I compare a punnet of grapes at, say, 1.85 with a huge pizza at 1.80-2 ....

Food is judged on how much it contributes towards "actual food" and filling my belly each day. Grapes tend to be eaten like sweeties, so "surplus to requirements".

Now I need to look up the calories in grapes.... ah, a 500 gram pack is 350 calories. Not too bad.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 12,324 Posts
    • 33,546 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sorry Pastures - but I've just been to the supermarket and your comments about grapes had me looking at them and thinking "Yep...there's some nice-looking red ones" there and in the trolley they went.......

I don't own a single cashmere sweater/don't belong to a yacht club (I wish to both - as I rather fancy the thought....oh well....not in my price bracket....).

Today's supermarket visit saw me trudging in wearing a jumper passed on from my mother and that raincoat I bought the other day when a friend dragged me into the local Oxfam shop and some jeans that I'd like to replace (but not just yet.....).

I prioritise food over clothes when there's not enough money for both - on the basis that I can chuck off the clothes I'm wearing and put on some better ones in moments come the time I can afford both. But the effects of eating unhealthily could last for years...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    karcher

It's not using them up that's the problem...I could quite happily eat the whole lot on the day of purchase.

It's the cost that is prohibitive to me . I see them as quite an expensive treat so only buy them occasionally as a treat
    • Ames
    • By Ames 11th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 16,093 Posts
    • 27,983 Thanks
    Ames
    Oh yes - I dont think I've ever seen chard on sale in any shops - even Waitrose and I've no longer got a Waitrose around nearby. I don't think I've ever seen sorrel on sale either?? - so I've got that there permanently in my garden.

Fortunately - I can still get at farm shops and a farmers market - so thats where I buy more "modern" vegetables. I have grown chard myself and must get some more planted up for the coming year. Add that there's some vegetables that aren't available at all yet anywhere - so I'll have to grow them myself in order to get them.

Oh well...off to the supermarket again in a minute. Always a frustrating experience hunting for much of "my" sort of food at all in a small supermarket. I do sometimes walk around it feeling more than a little frustrated that I can see, for instance, lots of conventional type cereals there but all there is for someone like me is that I can manage to buy my organic jumbo porridge oats for my breakfast porridge/etc there. So I leap fast on any of "my" food I spot when there - as it's gradually coming onto the shelves - but the ratios of junk food to "my" food must be something like 10 to 1 at best still.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Chard, and a lot of other 'unusual' greens used to be sold in Morrisons, I liked one called Mibuna, and I think there was a Mizuna too (something like that anyway). I haven't really been in for a few years though and I think last time I went it was back to just normal cabbage etc.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    karcher
    Chard, and a lot of other 'unusual' greens used to be sold in Morrisons, I liked one called Mibuna, and I think there was a Mizuna too (something like that anyway). I haven't really been in for a few years though and I think last time I went it was back to just normal cabbage etc.
    Save
    Originally posted by Ames
    There is both Mibuna and Mizuna, Mibuna being a mustardy flavour which is stronger than mizuna. Love them both. Very easy to grow as is chard, not sure why SM don't stock it.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    caronc
    Save
    Originally posted by Ames
    There is both Mibuna and Mizuna, Mibuna being a mustardy flavour which is stronger than mizuna. Love them both. Very easy to grow as is chard, not sure why SM don't stock it.
    Originally posted by karcher
    Morrison's locally did for a short while stock some more unusual veg - but stopped no doubt due to lack of demand. Small towns in the West of Scotland aren't in the main known for their culinary adventureness I love all the green leaves especially mustard leaf- do grow some each year but the season is short and they tend to bolt quite quickly
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 338,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Lunch was a success *burps*.

I used one of the baking spuds and mixed it with some very hot/strong chilli cheese that needs to be used up and I threw in a tiny bit of red onion .... and then grilled that and served with the other half of the tin of beans/sausages I opened yesterday.

Bit of a "push the boat out" lunch price-wise, but well tasty and worthwhile.

Ingredients 40p plus the pricey cheese at 56p, so call it 1. This is what happens when you splash out for Xmas and buy "a nice bit of cheese" instead of bog standard 4.25/Kg cheddar at Lidl/Aldi. Done with cheddar (maybe splash of Tabasco) and bog standard beans it'd have come in closer to 60p.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 12,324 Posts
    • 33,546 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Morrison's locally did for a short while stock some more unusual veg - but stopped no doubt due to lack of demand. Small towns in the West of Scotland aren't in the main known for their culinary adventureness I love all the green leaves especially mustard leaf- do grow some each year but the season is short and they tend to bolt quite quickly
    Have you tried growing sorrel (as in the standard variety)? Think it's called French sorrel? Its the large leaf variety anyway. I'm quite partial to that and one of my CBA meals is a cheese and sorrel omelette made with that.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    caronc
    Have you tried growing sorrel (as in the standard variety)? Think it's called French sorrel? Its the large leaf variety anyway. I'm quite partial to that and one of my CBA meals is a cheese and sorrel omelette made with that.
    Yes I tried a few years ago and it just got munched I think every critter had a go - the few plants that escaped ended up covered in a caterpillars, I lost the will to try again after that...........
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 5,161 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    Farway
    Yes, tried sorrel a few years back, it is every where now, pops up in any crack or crevice, like a rash, especially as it has crimson leaves

Also same problem with Lemon balm, sowed it a few years back as I fancied herby teas at the time, now it is everwhere, including down the road and popping up near some garages

Also have garlic chives on the rampage, which is bad 'cos I hate the taste & smell of garlic. Only grew them to see if I could

For slug haters, try growing mixed cut & come again mixed salad leaves indoors, easy peasy with a windowsill

Now to other food, I finished up with teh veg lasagne last night, and it was lovely, just as I thought it would be, so the mac cheese lives on for another day, but not today

This morning was toast & marmalade x 2, lunch was cheese & tom sarnie, with 2 mini YS sausage rolls collected on this morning's Asda patrol

Tonight is a one of my Waitrose 3 for 6 ready meals, chicken & leek pie, think I will do extra veg with it, fresh caulie, broc, cabbage, carrot & parsnip, steamed, shoudl see me through, and tomorrow may be Morrison's for weekly doughnut fix
    • Ames
    • By Ames 11th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 16,093 Posts
    • 27,983 Thanks
    Ames
    Originally posted by karcher
    I think it was the Mibuna I liked best.

I think it went the same way here, which is a shame. I really liked the way they said how to cook things too - so if leaves were ok for salad or had to be cooked, for instance.

I might do part of next week's shop at Morrisons just to see if they have stopped.

I finally dug out the chopping grating machine I bought ages ago last night, and grated a load of cheese. It worked much better than I expected, but I did far more than I needed, and it had gone a little bit hard by the time I used it today on a baked sweet potato.

I'm doing a shopping list for next week, I've got bored of the same veg cooked the same way so I'm going to try and change it a bit.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 9,412 Posts
    • 101,570 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Plus keeping them in the fridge keeps them well out of reach of woofers, as they are poisonous to dogs (as are all grape products, eg sultanas, raisins, etc).

Hoping my stomach decides it's going to accept food at some stage today, as it's supposed to be a bit of a celebration this evening - exactly 1 year since Mr LW retired from work.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 338,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I know what I'd like ...but it's not an option.

A good indian takeaway. I've not found a "good" one round here though, to date. I usually have the same thing: a veggie biryani, costing about 7. It's cheaper than a chicken one and I don't have to worry about finding nasty bits in the chicken ...

What I'd typically do, if there were a "good" one available is phone up and order, they say "10 minutes", then I get in the car and drive to get it.

And that's another "cooking for one" thing - you can't justify paying for indian takeaway to be delivered! They usually have minimum order values of 15 - and then you might feel you have to tip the driver....

A 7 biryani is two cartons - and I'll usually have half of each on two different days. So that's two meals worth - so the "solution" of "Order more so you can get the delivery" doesn't work as that'd be at least four days/meals worth - and it's not so good the 2nd time and at 3.50/meal it's really a "pushing the boat out, hang the expense" moment in itself, so to think of doubling up would be nuts!

No idea what I'll have though ..... no idea at all.

Got loads of food .... but it won't come to me and I don't want to go as far as the kitchen at the moment.

I think I'll do a simple cheddar toastie.... that's now the plan ... but I still have to wait until I CBA to stand up, walk to the kitchen, put two bits of bread in the toaster and open the box of grated cheese
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 10,621 Posts
    • 56,827 Thanks
    kittie
    Yesterday was a day for quick grab-it food, was far too busy to cook. I put a few chard seeds in while up on the allotment. If you can only grow one veg then chard is so good, you can use the ribs like celery and leaves like spinach and it grows in bunches

Usual soaked breakfast, soup etc for lunch and fruit and nuts etc for tea with some quick grab cakey stuff from the freezer

I have a real hankering after a cream scone today so am going to get a small tub of clotted cream. I fancy a real treat of an afternoon tea, need a resting day today as have been very physically busy for two days. Just going to potter with some sewing today and some reading and maybe a film. Soup, eggs, peanut butter, all available, even bacon and tomatoes, easy food today

https://www.weetabix.co.uk/our-products/protein/weetabix-protein
    Thought I would show you
    Last edited by kittie; 12-03-2017 at 8:22 AM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning oneskis

Last night x4 fish fingers in x2 ciabatta rolls with lettuce and mayo and a sliced tomato on the side.

Where's our Nelski she appears to be MIA..hopefully having fun and being cooked for as well as not having to wash up

Just 2 cups of tea and some chocolate so far this morning..I'm really hungry though for some strange reason? I'll have a coffee and a think about food
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 338,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I liked my eggy/soldiers so much yesterday I just had it again
    It's magnificent.

I bought a 3-pack of pasties the other day, still one in the fridge, so that might be lunch..... and I'd do rumbledethumps with it except I've no cabbage... just a fresh monster swede staring at me from the worktop with that look in its eye saying "you wish you'd never bought me now don't you". Although I might do it using some of the brussels I have in the freezer. We'll see how that all goes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,611Posts Today

5,881Users online

Martin's Twitter