Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,410Posts
    • 15,921Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    ****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-07-2017 at 6:56 PM.
Page 116
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks for the tips re slugs, I'll try the line of salt next time they start to appear again.

I really, really fancied fish and chips tonight but I held out, YS fishcakes and veg is in the oven right now, and I've chopped a couple of plums to stew after.
    Originally posted by Ames
    I'm going with the fish & chips option as both in the freezer so a quick dinner. Will probably have spinach and peas with it
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher
    That'll do nicely yum
    Originally posted by caronc
    Just sweating off the remaining half of that pungent leek I bought last week with garlic. Mushrooms chopped and ready to add. Then that the salad leaves, eggs, cheese etc in baking tin and in the oven...go me
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    Just sweating off the remaining half of that pungent leek I bought last week with garlic. Mushrooms chopped and ready to add. Then that the salad leaves, eggs, cheese etc in baking tin and in the oven...go me
    Originally posted by karcher
    Sounds lovely hope you've still got some baguette to stuff a piece in? Hopefully your leek won't be as smelly tonight
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £125/£200
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 105,431 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Who doesn't like a little pawful of 2-3 biscuits
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    *raised paw* I couldn't eat more than one biscuit at a sitting - two at a pinch; and then I prefer very plain biscuits, in fact I prefer cream crackers to "sweet" biscuits of any sort.
    Don`t tell me off LW for spouting facts but yoghurt is lactobacillus bulgaricus and streptococcus thermophilus and kefir is a long string of other, much more beneficial bacteria. Anyway I am not selling anyone anything, that is just how I eat and how I look after my health
    Originally posted by kittie
    I wouldn't dream of telling you off. I'm sure for a lot of folks it's great stuff; it's just that my lupus-ravaged system rebels strongly against *anything* it doesn't know, so new things have to be tried very carefully, and anything likely to cause a strong "effect" even if it's meant to be a good effect, is best steered clear of in my case. It's part of the reason I don't touch chilli/curry; the after-effects are decidedly unpleasant, for me and for others! But I was genuinely interested to know what it is; and having now found out, I rather feel it's not for me.
    I've heard they drown in saucers of beer - but I had a mini pot in the garden, ex mini cheesecake I'd used to scoop fertiliser into a small pot ... and left in the garden as it might come in useful again - the rain filled it with water and I found a couple of dead slugs in that too, so it's not just beer, any puddle seems good enough.
    Yes, I've heard it's a good use for Gr££n£ K1ng IPA - so probably a puddle would be just as good!
    Last edited by LameWolf; 10-03-2017 at 7:32 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm peckish in a "pure greed" way ... I've food overload in the kitchen and loads to grab, but trying to hold off because it's so easy to just eat, eat, eat and I know I need to go a bit easy as I'm not feeling as slim as I did last month ... so I figure I might've put on 2-3 lbs. It'll be those veggies I've been trying to eat!! (not the chocs/sweeties).

I picked up a pack of four big white baps yesterday (30% off), they were dated for today so I just opened the bag, sliced them, then resealed the bag and they're in the freezer. Great for all manner of burger-style foods, or toasted with soup .... or, at a push, just nuke to defrost and throw some marg at it

Holding off eating anything at the moment - I am hoping to become engrossed in something soon, so that the CBA kicks in.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    Well the lasagne will need to get finished tomorrow as couldn't managing standing to make the white sauce still not the end of the world and my son will help tomorrow if need be

PN - those pesky F&V have a lot to answer for
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 105,431 Thanks
    LameWolf
    *Searches darkest recesses of memory* Ah yes, it's tomorrow you have guests, isn't it, Caronc?
    Auntie Wolfy says enlist help of son even if you feel able to do it yourself, and save your spoons for enjoyment of your guests.

Most exciting thing I'm doing tomorrow is washing my hair getting Mr LW to wash my hair for me - that'll be me wiped out, then!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 15,921 Thanks
    caronc
    *Searches darkest recesses of memory* Ah yes, it's tomorrow you have guests, isn't it, Caronc?
    Auntie Wolfy says enlist help of son even if you feel able to do it yourself, and save your spoons for enjoyment of your guests.

Most exciting thing I'm doing tomorrow is washing my hair getting Mr LW to wash my hair for me - that'll be me wiped out, then!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Yes guests tomorrow night - looking forward to it
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher

PN - those pesky F&V have a lot to answer for
    That's my excuse for the extra pounds too
    • TROY-100
    • By TROY-100 10th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    TROY-100
    Hi,

Thought I'd save money and buy a couple of cheap noodle thingies from B and M, on offer for 30p each. They smell like bin wagons and taste how I would expect bin wagons to taste! I've binned them and am going to have cheese on toast for tea. Steer clear of Noodle Express stuff from B and M!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm peckish in a "pure greed" way ... I've food overload in the kitchen and loads to grab, but trying to hold off because it's so easy to just eat, eat, eat and I know I need to go a bit easy as I'm not feeling as slim as I did last month ... so I figure I might've put on 2-3 lbs. It'll be those veggies I've been trying to eat!! (not the chocs/sweeties).

I picked up a pack of four big white baps yesterday (30% off), they were dated for today so I just opened the bag, sliced them, then resealed the bag and they're in the freezer. Great for all manner of burger-style foods, or toasted with soup .... or, at a push, just nuke to defrost and throw some marg at it

Holding off eating anything at the moment - I am hoping to become engrossed in something soon, so that the CBA kicks in.
    I'd be unable to resist and be having some toasted baps and butter/marg by now
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,251 Thanks
    katkin
    I heard little violins playing for the grapes that PasturesNew rejected in favour of the biccies and would now have made an ideal healthy picky snack.

Those grapes are gutted, abandoned and heartbroken

Too late now PN!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Hi,

Thought I'd save money and buy a couple of cheap noodle thingies from B and M, on offer for 30p each. They smell like bin wagons and taste how I would expect bin wagons to taste! I've binned them and am going to have cheese on toast for tea. Steer clear of Noodle Express stuff from B and M!
    Originally posted by TROY-100
    In the main I take out the flavour sachet - then you've just got regular noodles and can add in any flavours you like ... random stuff from that old collection of glass jars that kick around in the corner of the kitchen... or jazz it up with half a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, or even half a tin of peas.

It's probably cheaper for me to just buy packs of thread noodles and snap a sheet in half ... but I'd bought the noodle packs years ago when I was eating more of them.

That's the thing - you eat some stuff endlessly, stock up, then one day you stop and it all lurks.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I heard little violins playing for the grapes that PasturesNew rejected in favour of the biccies and would now have made an ideal healthy picky snack.

Too late now PN!
    Originally posted by katkin
    I was used to there only being two types of grapes: Green and black. I saw the Red for the first time a few months ago and bought them (£1.65 at the time) expecting to be disappointed as grapes are usually pretty grim/soft... and they were gorgeous! So I've bought 3 more packs since. All from Lidl. I then picked up a punnet in Home Bargains and that was pretty rank.

The ones I saw yesterday were in Aldi - and there was a strange, different variety of grape alongside.... jet black in colour they were, I think they said Noir (which would make sense of course) - but these were blacker than what I'd ever seen before as black grapes. These were very black. I'd like to try one .... but I'd be too scared to waste money on a whole punnet in case I were disgusted or disappointed.

Trying new things is one thing you can't easily do if you're "one" - it's too much commitment to buying something you might despise. With other people around they recommend/suggest or bring/offer stuff to try, without the commitment of a whole pack to yourself to plough through.

Re: Scoffing with wild and gay abandon.
    I snapped - and grabbed 2 bits of toast and had half a tin of beans/sausages on top
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Mar 17, 11:23 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Karma .... is getting belly ache 10 minutes after you've sneaked into the kitchen and helped yourself to 2 bourbon biscuits and 2 chocolates.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes in someways but round here in both supermarkets and independants it's very much traditional on the F&V front even things like chard which is pretty mainstream now and no local asian grocers etc. which tend to hold a more varied range of things. Chard is one of the things I make a point of growing every year as it's a great veg for picking just what you need ideal for solo cooks
    Oh yes - I dont think I've ever seen chard on sale in any shops - even Waitrose and I've no longer got a Waitrose around nearby. I don't think I've ever seen sorrel on sale either?? - so I've got that there permanently in my garden.

Fortunately - I can still get at farm shops and a farmers market - so thats where I buy more "modern" vegetables. I have grown chard myself and must get some more planted up for the coming year. Add that there's some vegetables that aren't available at all yet anywhere - so I'll have to grow them myself in order to get them.

Oh well...off to the supermarket again in a minute. Always a frustrating experience hunting for much of "my" sort of food at all in a small supermarket. I do sometimes walk around it feeling more than a little frustrated that I can see, for instance, lots of conventional type cereals there but all there is for someone like me is that I can manage to buy my organic jumbo porridge oats for my breakfast porridge/etc there. So I leap fast on any of "my" food I spot when there - as it's gradually coming onto the shelves - but the ratios of junk food to "my" food must be something like 10 to 1 at best still.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-03-2017 at 7:02 AM.
    #MeToo
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher

Re: Scoffing with wild and gay abandon.
    I snapped - and grabbed 2 bits of toast and had half a tin of beans/sausages on top
    I knew you wouldn't let us down PN

My Crustless Quiche was very good even if I do say so myself
    I scoffed the lot too, so no LO....and apart from a dollop of chilli mayo on the side I had it on it's own and resisted a chunk of bread and butter.

Just the bloody washing up to do now
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher

Originally posted by katkin
    They shouldn't be so flipping expensive then

Anyway some rich person will have grabbed them without even glancing at the cost...coz they don't need to, and will eat a few with their expensive wine and cheese and if any are left over they'll probably be jettisoned into the bin without a care in the world ....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,312 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....some rich person will have grabbed them without even glancing at the cost...coz they don't need to, and will eat a few with their expensive wine and cheese and if any are left over they'll probably be jettisoned into the bin without a care in the world ....
    Originally posted by karcher
    Sad ... but very true. Probably while wearing cashmere and while getting ready for dinner out at the local yacht club

I just decided on breakfast - I have some large eggs and I have bread.... so it's egg/soldiers. Cost 10p and on my lap in under 5 minutes
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-03-2017 at 9:11 AM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    karcher
    Sad ... but very true. Probably while wearing cashmere and while getting ready for dinner out at the local yacht club
    Pah to them I say!

I have a few options on the CFO front today. Pizza, Fish Finger sarnies, Dhal and Flatbreads (if I cba to make any), beans on toast pasta and pesto, a veg draw full of veg type stuff....In fact too many options!

Can't think about it now it's taking up too much energy...I'll decide later!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin