Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Irfan Mahmood
    • By Irfan Mahmood 10th Jan 17, 2:09 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Irfan Mahmood
    247HomeRescue
    • 10th Jan 17, 2:09 AM
    247HomeRescue 10th Jan 17 at 2:09 AM
    I've had a deeply unsatisfactory experience of being a 247 Home Rescue customer. The text below captures the nature of my complaint, which I have asked my Carer to distribute far and wide - using all social media available to her. I shall be leaving consistent information on every review website I can find. I am doing this because the nature of my initial discussions with Lucy made it very clear that we are a vulnerable household and I believe it is imperative that those in a similar position are made aware of the nature of their modus operandi. I truly and sincerely hope that you will heed the advice I am offering.

Dishonest, Awful, Incompetent, Negligent

When taking out the policy, I explained to Lucy that we have 2 Disabled people in the house. One of them is terminally ill and the other receives palliative care. I was promised an urgent response to any emergency.
    When I called with a loss of hot water, I was told that someone would call me in 30 minutes. THEY DIDN'T. I called after 2 hours and was told that the claim had been approved and that an Engineer would be in touch within 24 hours. THEY DIDN'T. I continued to call until 48 hours later I was told that the Engineer had been on a gas leak and that the law requires the Engineer to stay at the property until it is resolved.
    I asked why nobody had called - I was told that it was a breakdown in communication.
    I asked if all 3000 of the gas engineers (stated on their website) were at the same gas leak - silence.
    The Engineer called almost 72 hours after my first call.
    He said he doesn't work at the weekend and was only made aware of the call today. He said his company only learned about the call 24 hours ago and they've responded in 'their' 24 hour policy. He said he has not been on a gas leak.
    Seems like 24/7 Home Rescue are telling LIES LIES LIES. Above all else, COMPLETELY IGNORE the nonsense on their website that says:
    # We aim to respond in 4 hours - it's nonsense
    # We have 3000 Gas Engineers - they don't seem to have any
    # We are 24/7 - my first engineer call has been 72 hours after we reported a loss of hot water
    Finally, the Engineer tells me that a new Diverter Valve is required, which will be ordered tomorrow and scheduled to arrive in a further 24 hours. Then, it should be fitted within another 24 hours. Yup; it's a 7 day service, not a 24/7 service! (Assuming, of course that things happen as the Engineer has said).

If you're vulnerable or require prompt, HONEST OR PROFESSIONAL service, avoid 247 Home Service at any cost. Don't be drawn in by their cheap prices on comparison websites - we pay £30 per month for their very highest level of service, which hasn't amounted to anything when we require a 24/7 Home Rescue Service. The price we pay is equivalent to the highest level of service offered by British Gas whom have provided me with excellent service in the past. If only Lucy hadn't presuadued me to move!
    Oh, one other thing, I recorded all my calls and made detailed contemporaneous notes. I urge you to do the same if you are already in contract with them.
Page 1
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 10th Jan 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 10th Jan 17, 9:06 AM
    Oh dear
    • 10th Jan 17, 9:06 AM
    That does sound awful.
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Jan 17, 10:45 AM
    • 7,301 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 10th Jan 17, 10:45 AM
    • 10th Jan 17, 10:45 AM
    such a trouble free and caring company https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09438900/filing-history

been in existence since feb 2015 , 300 engineers?

The Engineer called almost 72 hours after my first call.
    He said he doesn't work at the weekend and was only made aware of the call today. He said his company only learned about the call 24 hours ago and they've responded in 'their' 24 hour policy.

whats this , rent a plumber when needed?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Jan 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 10th Jan 17, 12:47 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 12:47 PM
    whats this , rent a plumber when needed?
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Most likely - a lot of these "emergency" cover companies do the same. e.g. other than AA and RAC, the other motor recovery companies use contractors.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 10th Jan 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 10th Jan 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 2:03 PM
    Most likely - a lot of these "emergency" cover companies do the same. e.g. other than AA and RAC, the other motor recovery companies use contractors.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    This ^^

They don't claim to have 3000 engineers, they say they have access to 3000 engineers. They also explain they have a network of partners, suppliers, tradesmen etc.

OP the complaints process is on their website, what response have you had from this?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jan 17, 3:58 PM
    • 8,241 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 10th Jan 17, 3:58 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 3:58 PM
    You could probably make a deal with a local gas fitter and electrician. More personal and probably a lot cheaper.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 10th Jan 17, 4:11 PM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 10th Jan 17, 4:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 4:11 PM
    British Gas, whom the OP praises for their service, also subcontract work.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 10th Jan 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 10th Jan 17, 4:15 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 4:15 PM
    You could probably make a deal with a local gas fitter and electrician. More personal and probably a lot cheaper.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    MIL needed a new boiler so got three companies to quote. She went with British Gas in the end because she felt that she could trust them more, despite being the most expensive quote by a margin of several hundred pounds. Guess who turned up to do the installation? Yes, one of the local companies who had quoted a lower price!
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Jan 17, 5:31 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 11th Jan 17, 5:31 PM
    • 11th Jan 17, 5:31 PM
    AA do use contractors in busy times, have no idea about RAC.

Use of agents
    Service from dedicated AA Patrols is subject to availability and may be supplemented by use of appropriate agents. The AA will only accept responsibility for the actions of an agent where the
    agent is acting on the AA’s instruction
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    You WILL be sorry.
    Warning!!

I have been a member of 24/7 Home Rescue.

Let me explain the differences. Home Rescue only cover breakdown and they decide what that means. So if the fault is intermittent or you have hot water only if the central heating is on. (probe/sensor fault) You will not be covered!

They only use contractors.

They have a system that they can decide if the repair is uneconomical to repair. 60% nonsense. Please note this is not the same as parts are not available or unable to repair. The will just cancel your contract or ask you to pay the difference.

You must tell them in 24 hours of a fault! Why that matters I do not know!?

24/7 Home Rescue actively encourage their member to post on here/TrustPilot positive comments.

Warning you have to have had a service in the last year before you call them. Or you will be charged extra.

You will not be covered for loss of pressure and they do not employ a leak team either!

**They belong to no body or ombudsman.**
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Apr 17, 6:32 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Warning!!

Let me explain the differences. Home Rescue only cover breakdown and they decide what that means. So if the fault is intermittent or you have hot water only if the central heating is on. (probe/sensor fault) You will not be covered!

They have a system that they can decide if the repair is uneconomical to repair. 60% nonsense. Please note this is not the same as parts are not available or unable to repair. The will just cancel your contract or ask you to pay the difference.

24/7 Home Rescue actively encourage their member to post on here/TrustPilot positive comments.

Warning you have to have had a service in the last year before you call them. Or you will be charged extra.

You will not be covered for loss of pressure and they do not employ a leak team either!

Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Because a minor fault which is cheap to fix can escalate to a major problem costing far more.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Apr 17, 11:39 AM
    • 15,310 Posts
    • 11,130 Thanks
    hollydays
    Warning!!

Where is written they encourage people to post positive comments on here? What incentive could there be ?!
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Because a minor fault which is cheap to fix can escalate to a major problem costing far more.
    Originally posted by parkrunner

Thats not what happens. Reviews are full of it...........they use it as an excuse not to cover you and come out. I have no such restrictions with Britsh Gas.

If you noticed something on Saturday but wait until Monday to ring when you will be in they refuse cover!!
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 11th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Thats not what happens. Reviews are full of it...........they use it as an excuse not to cover you and come out. I have no such restrictions with Britsh Gas.

If you noticed something on Saturday but wait until Monday to ring when you will be in they refuse cover!!
    Of course a minor fault can become a major fault.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Of course a minor fault can become a major fault.

That does not seem to be an issue with most of the big players like British Gas, Homecare and many others.

Intermittent faults are also not covered neither is if you have hot water but not heating or the other way around. . Including a leak but if the boiler is also working. They don't seem to care about them problems becomes a major fault.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 11-09-2017 at 5:27 PM.
    • pne47
    • By pne47 17th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pne47
    Absolute rip off
    I arranged Boiler Breakdown Deluxe Package with this company on the 10th Sept 2016 and paid £245.16p.I contacted the company after 8mths had elapsed on the 10th Aug 2017 as it states in their Service Contract- Service, Safety ,and Operational check visits [where applicable]will be carried out on an agreed date between the 8th and 12th month after the commencement date and will be BOOKED AUTOMATICALLY!!
    I contacted the company on the 10th Aug 2017 asked when I would receive my boiler service and operational check, I was informed that an engineer would contact me in 2/3 days. NO ONE CALLED.
    On the 14th Aug 2017 I contacted the company again and asked again when I would receive my service, and was informed again an engineer would contact me in 14 days. NO ONE CALLED. As my contract expired on the 9th Sept 2017 I called the company yet again and was informed that I would not receive my service before the contract expired!!
    When I asked to speak to a Manager they tell you that you have to wait 48 hours!!I informed them that they had defaulted on the contract and I would be contacting the Utilities Ombudsman and asked for a full refund. I cancelled the contract on the 12th Sept 2017.
    I forwarded a letter to The Director at their head office 3 Petre Court Clayton Le Moors Accrington by Track and Trace which they received on the 6th Sept 2017. NO REPLY.
    In their Service Contract it states- Our engineers will only carry out "ONE ANNUAL SERVICE,SAFETY,AND OPERATIONAL CHECK INANY 12 MONTH PERIOD" So what happened to the service I paid for? I paid £256.16p and received absolutely nothing. It states on their advertisement- 24/7 SEE AN ENGINEER IN JUST FOUR HOURS. AN ENGINEER CAN BE WITH YOU IN JUST 4 HOURS FROM THE MOMENT YOU CALL US.
    You cannot believe anything this outfit says. I wouldn't touch this company with a barge pole.
    Disgusting .
    • JP Wood
    • By JP Wood 17th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JP Wood
    "$&HomeRescue Scam
    I purchased a boiler cover contract via Money Saving Expert website thinking that this would be a saving. I purchased this in April 2017. The first time I used the cover was when I had a problem with my boiler. I called 247HomeRescue who said that each claim there was an excess, which I knew about and said okay. I had an engineer out 3 days later who said the problem was an expansion reservoir. He said the company would order one up and contact me when to come back to fit it. Next day the company called to say that they would require another £144 for parts and labour costs to fix it as this expansion vessel was not covered as they do not cover anything to do with pressure. The contract I have does not say anything about this and states that all labour and parts are free of charge. I have now cancelled my 30 day rolling contract with them but they have took the £75 out my account and now say that this is the fee to call out an engineer. Another lie. This company s scamming people and think they should not be allowed on sites like money saving expert.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 17th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    I purchased a boiler cover contract via Money Saving Expert website thinking that this would be a saving.
    Originally posted by JP Wood
    You also created a duplicate post.

I posted a proper answer on your thread
    • shiggs
    • By shiggs 20th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shiggs
    247 home rescue Scam - avoid!!
    I took out the deluxe landlords package with 247 home rescue at the beginning of this month. The boiler at my rental property was due its annual gas safety so I called them up to book this in. Apparently though I had to pay £60.00 upfront for this to be done (even though the cover I was paying for included this) but as I'd only just signed up I thought this was fair enough (they said they would knock the price off my monthly payments).
    So I get a call from my tenants on Saturday asking what was happening about the boiler?? Apparently an engineer from 247 HR had been out on Friday slapped a warning notice on the boiler because the heat exchanger was leaking and needed replacement. He also said that it was the Landlords responsibility to sort this out??!! WHY? when that's what I'm paying them for?...anyway, he switched the boiler off, told my tenants not to use it and left the property (also leaving them with no heating and no hot water).
    I called the emergency line at 247 and was told it would be dealt with on Monday! so I took the initiative and called a plumber that I'd previously used for work at this property. He came out on the Sunday, was there 10 minutes and called me to tell me everything was sorted and the boiler was back on. The heat exchanger WAS NOT broken, and the boiler was in perfect working order. He also said that I should report 247 HR to trading standards!
    Today I got a phonecall from 247 HR saying they wanted to discuss the engineers report from last week! Apparently not only was the heat exchanger broken but there were various 'other things' wrong with the boiler and to fix them all and get it back up to 'manufacturer's standards' I would need to shell out another £380!! So I told them about the little visit from my plumber and they said they would need to look into it with their engineer. I also asked for my £60 upfront payment to be reimbursed as the landlords gas safety had not been carried out. They said they would 'look into it' and let me know. I don't hold out much hope but I have cancelled my cover with them, cancelled my direct debit and tomorrow I will be making that phone call to trading standards!! Please please please AVOID these scammers! I'll let you know what trading standards say but I hope this company gets shut down very soon!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter