Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 9th Jan 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,176Posts
    • 921Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    Complained to British Gas as I don't want a Smart Meter !
    • 9th Jan 17, 6:01 PM
    Complained to British Gas as I don't want a Smart Meter ! 9th Jan 17 at 6:01 PM
    BG have contacted me several times with regards getting a Smart Meter installed for free.

I advised them last week that I do not want one and they promised me that I would not be contacted again.

Guess wot ? Yep they phoned me today so I have emailed a director to get BG to stop contacting me; otherwise I will start harassment proceedings lol !!
Page 3
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 2nd Feb 17, 8:46 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    Periodically, EDF have emailed us to ask if we want a Smart meter (we don't have any gas, so it's purely for electricity and I usually simply ignore them.)

However, a couple of times they have got my husband on the phone and he is far more sweet tempered and tolerant than me. However, once unfortunately for them, they spoke to me and were told in no uncertain terms that we did not want one and furthermore the subject was not even open for discussion. I told them that I did not expect to be pestered with any more phone calls and they said they would remove our names from their list.

So far it seems to have worked and now we only get the very occasional email.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Feb 17, 12:53 AM
    • 25,094 Posts
    • 9,959 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Will a smart meter trigger if it goes backwards occasionally?

Powerline inverter uses my spare solar panels to subsidise the power in the house, on a nice sunny day with little running in the house it may briefly turn backwards.

Its only a a couple of hundred watts at most. But if it can put 100w into the house system then essentially my PC runs for free.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 3rd Feb 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8,722 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I can't see a reason to reject smart meters. I actually took the trouble to apply for one. Getting it fitted was a shambles as the first installer arrived late and then found he had no meter anyway but they were installed with no problems the second time. I suppose if I'd had to take time off work I would not be best pleased by that.

For some reason HMG seem to think that having smart meters fitted will lead to less energy consumption. I suppose it might but really can't see it - certainly my usage hasn't changed. Anyway they mandated that all meters must be smart meters by end 2020 (naturally the EU were involved too). That's why the energy companies are pushing them - they will probably get a fine if they don't complete the roll out.

I was amused the other day when I got a call from my energy provider - the girl started her smart meter spiel then suddenly trailed off and said - oh sorry you already have them don't you. I shouldn't have called.
    • CGG
    • By CGG 10th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    CGG
    British Gas were booked to fit a Smart Meter at my property yesterday afternoon, between 1 and 5pm. They phoned the evening before to confirm this.
    Guess what? They didn't show! I waited at home, so know I didn't miss his knock.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 8,722 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    They are supposed to phone you half an hour (iirc) before arriving.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Mar 17, 4:38 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Doesn't help tho does it
    They are supposed to phone you half an hour (iirc) before arriving.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    If they do not turn up, you do not get a call so you stay in awaiting it....
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 11th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 8,722 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    The reason I mentioned the phone was because no call certainly proves no knock was missed.

As I already posted even if they do show up there is no guarantee that they'll actually do the job.
    • TheSaint
    • By TheSaint 14th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    TheSaint
    The BG meter in particular is a first generation really insecure device. As others have said suppliers are not interoperable with each other. In the event of a cyber attack your power could be shut off remotely.

BG went ahead with their design before the industry had agreed on a standard, or any security... as a result.....

Really, really bad idea!

The newer ones from the other suppliers are better, but still not interoperable and still vulnerable to cyber attack.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,591Posts Today

7,630Users online

Martin's Twitter