Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 7th Jan 17, 5:45 PM
    • 439Posts
    • 122Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Nationwide soft search.... see result early?
    • 7th Jan 17, 5:45 PM
    Nationwide soft search.... see result early? 7th Jan 17 at 5:45 PM
    There have been a few threads on here (including from me) about how 'useless' the Nationwide Credit Card soft check is - for example if you're offered £500 @ 19.9% it's probably a decline, if you are offered higher, it may be an accept.

I've routinely been offered £1,650 @ 19.9%, only to be declined on a full check.

I knew this was likely to happen again, so haven't gone for it, was just interested to see what they'd quote me, if it's changed since I last tried.... it hasn't

However, I had an idea of looking in the source code in Chrome (press F12 on the quote page - expand 'div_class="app_steps"' and then expand 'script id=tracking data') - you can see the following information on the page (just before you proceed to a full check):

Code:
    {"page":{"pageInfo":{"pageName":"dis:application:credit card:soft quote"},"category":{"primaryCategory":"discovery","nbs_sub_category_1":"dis:application","nbs_sub_category_2":"dis:application:credit card","nbs_sub_category_3":"dis:application:credit card:soft quote"},"nbs_environment":"live"},"nbs_application_module":{},"nbs_product":{"nbs_product_type":"credit card"},"nbs_product_creditcard":{"nbs_cc_name":"nationwide credit card","nbs_cc_product_code":"0006","nbs_cc_offer_code":"21","nbs_cc_offer_bt":"yes","nbs_cc_offer_bt_rate":"0","nbs_cc_offer_bt_duration":"12","nbs_cc_offer_purchase":"yes","nbs_cc_offer_purchase_rate":"0","nbs_cc_offer_purchase_duration":"12"},"nbs_user":{"nbs_user_customer_number":"xxxxxxx","nbs_user_application_route":"unauthenticated","nbs_user_application_route_ibreg":"no","nbs_user_application_route_ownership":"sole","nbs_user_customer_status":"new","nbs_user_address_type":"uk","nbs_user_postcode":"xxxxxx","nbs_user_gender":"male","nbs_user_dateofbirth":"19xx-xx-xx","nbs_user_city":"xxxxxx","nbs_user_income":"xxxx0.00"},"nbs_app_creditcard":{"nbs_cc_application_product_type":"credit card","nbs_cc_application_id":"xxxxxxx","nbs_cc_application_starting_date":"2017-01-07","nbs_cc_decision_interim":"decline"}}
    The last bit is potentially significant. Without knowing their system, I can't say 100% what happens with "nbs_cc_decision_interim" - but from my coding experience it would look like that's the result of the soft check (decline) and it may change based on a full check. NBS is clearly Nationwide Building Society, CC = credit card, and decision_interim = interim decision.

So, for example, I'd imagine decision_interim could be accept (or refer...??) but if they detected something else during full credit report, final decision would change to decline.

That sparks the question (as I've asked them before, but never had a meaningful reply), as to why they don't just decline at quote stage - like Creation, Capital One etc - and why they bait people into a full credit search.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else who wants to apply for a credit card gets an interim decision of accept or refer. That would mean they can't brush my latest complaint under the carpet.

Again, I 100% accept they don't have to give credit - but I feel knowing someone will be declined, but presenting a page saying

Good news, xxxxx! Subject to a credit check, we can offer you a Nationwide Credit Card with a credit limit of up to £1650 at 19.9% APR representative (variable).

If you'd like a lower limit just tell us
    You can type in the amount you'd like (to the nearest £50) or use the plus and minus buttons.

Your credit card offer details
    is extremely misleading, particularly the 'your credit card offer details' bit and the so called credit limit of 'up to' - it should be up to £0 if it's determined a decline!!

And I'd expect better from a mutual organisation too!

May be useful for other people who think they'll be declined following the full check to have a look - an accept or refer in the code @ 19.9% is better than proceeding based on decline!!

Are there any Nationwide Company Reps on here, might get more out of them than I do out of the complaints dept.....

(The x's relate to information relating to my app, so I've removed it.... they'll know who I am if/when my next complaint goes in!)
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Capital One - Jul 2016, £3,750 Never ending 0%....
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% - July 2017, £1,000
    Car Loan - Sept 2017 - £15k outstanding, early settlement = £10k....
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
Page 3
    • deedee1310
    • By deedee1310 30th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deedee1310
    I got a preapproved limit of £3900 @ 19%APR, clicked to the next step and got an error "Something went wrong" and that was that.
    I don't expect to get accepted as I only just got approved for an Aqua card by the skin of my teeth.... I think their quotation search will just say everything is groovy until to actually apply.
    Originally posted by PROLIANT
    Proliant, did your error end up actually resulting in a search?

I've had the same happen to me. I only tried the application due to this thread . I tried again but looked at the source code more thoroughly this time and it showed a "decline", so I closed the page down!
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 14th Jul 17, 3:58 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    how
    how do you look for this source code
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,309Posts Today

8,680Users online

Martin's Twitter