Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,220Posts
    • 2,885Thanks
    Naomim
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017
    • 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017 6th Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    I'm baaaack.

When I started my original diary "A Ditherer's Diary" My kids were littlie's aged 5 and 15 months. Nothing except their age and the amount of debt has changed, it's all got higher! They are now 11 & 7.

Having had a quick read through, a lot of it was me coming and going with a few months/years in between.

I recently came back to MSE and went straight onto the Debt Free Wannabe board. I posted an SOA . The debts are dire.

We've recently had an extension and a lot of work done to the house. It was awful, we've had to sack the builder and he owe us a lot of money. The roof is leaking, the house needs re-wiring. The dog is poorly and needs a £4k operation... .

I know this is all going to take a very long time to sort out. Little by little, step by step I can hopefully creep us out of the overdraft, melt the credit card debts and maybe even have some spare money one day!

My plans for the following week are:

Find the new credit card I got for 0% interest balance transfer - activate it and set-up direct debit
    Use the snowball calculator again to see how this has changed.
    Get car insurance quotes
    Make packed lunches every day
    DO NOT buy coffee out.

I've joined the £2 savers club. I was a member a few years ago and have always saved them. It physically hurts to spend one.

I hope you'll come and help me along the long and winding path.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 £18,609.97 / Jun17 £21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 £4577.44 07/17 £4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    £2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
Page 7
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 26th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Hi Naomi,
    Just a note on credit card dates - the providers should definitely be able to switch it for you. They might not be able to do the exact date you get paid (if I remember correctly, MBNA gave me the option of 4 different dates that they could take the direct debit on) but they can definitely change it so it is more convenient for you.
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 30th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    I think you need to look at a few things to economise further. Spending more than £100 on mobiles and a further £105 on Sky when you are so stretched seems a bit daft TBH. Can you threaten to cancel sky to get it cheaper or go for a cheaper package? Same goes for mobiles if out of contract. Go for sim only.

Also, while I understand the reasoning behind wanting to save for your children the reality is you cannot afford it at the moment.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Sadly the mobiles are all tied into contracts at the moment. MrM's is due to expire first but his mobile is a really cheap one. He did the deal with EE to get his and 12yo's on same contract but then he got two tablets with it which pushed the price up!

I will call SKY and see what we can do. They're sneaky though as they chuck a "premium" channel in with loads of others you don't want.

I've tried to forward forecast for everything in the next six months but obviously both cars will need to be MOT'd & serviced which I can't account for but all of the regular payments are on there. My hours at work have recently changed so now we are only using one car in the morning and evening so hopefully that will at least be some savings on petrol.

I should really stop saving for the children. I think after this month I'll cancel it for now.

7yo lost a tooth today so the tooth fairy is going to have to make a little visit tonight. I'll have to make sure she has some change to give!

Oh I heard back from the "promising" job interview. Sadly I didn't get the position. It was due to experience in their field rather than my interview skills so at least that was a positive.

I'll keep on looking. If I can work full time we'll be out of the schtuck so much quicker! I keep putting full time pay into my spreadsheet to see how much quicker we can do it.

MrM is also going great guns on the no smoking. He's vaping but he knows we cannot afford for him to spend £10 on a packet of cigs. I found a couple of bottles of vape oil yesterday too when I was having a little tidy up so that's about another £15 saving.

Last week I did a big shop with Aldi so this week I only spent £34 in Sainsburys. More than I wanted but a lot better. Now to stop the 12yo & his friends from constantly drinking the cartons of juice I get for 7yo's packed lunches. I wouldn't mind but I always have squash made up in the fridge so it's not like there's nothing in there.

Oh well, I'm keeping positive on the money saving front. Checking my bank account daily and keeping on top of my spreadsheet and what's due in and out.

Naomi
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 30th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Hi Naomi,
    Just a note on credit card dates - the providers should definitely be able to switch it for you. They might not be able to do the exact date you get paid (if I remember correctly, MBNA gave me the option of 4 different dates that they could take the direct debit on) but they can definitely change it so it is more convenient for you.
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    Thanks GC, although I have them all on spreadsheet in the right place now. MrM gets paid on the last working Friday of the month and I get paid on the 15th of each month so it's better for me to spread them out a bit. But I'll see if I can shift them from the end of the month to closer to the 15th.

Naomi x
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 30th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    When I went through the credit cards the other day, I realised that on my MBNA card, my 0% deal had run out the month previously and I'd been charged £65 interest Luckily my Barclaycard had an offer on so I've cleared the MBNA card completely and transferred the balance onto my Barclaycard. So my credit card bills now look like this.

July Credit Card Balances

MBNA - £2709.95

NUBA - £5279.02

Barclaycard - £9527.36

M&S - £3515.70

All of them are on 0% interest at the moment. I'm going to put this into the stoozing website and see how far long this will take me to clear. I'm expecting around 52 months.
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 30th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Snowballing

I've just snowballed the debts. Apparently it will take me 79months and £10,559 in interest!!! Obviously when my first 0% interest ends I'll hopefully be able to transfer it over to another card to keep the interest down.

I've printed it off so I can cross the payments off as they come and keep it upto date.

Naomi
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 30th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    You need to keep a sharp eye on MBNA, their regular interest rates are so high!
    Well done for getting everything onto 0% though, I'm moving some of my CC debt to 0% this month and hoping that I'll qualify for more 0% offers as time goes on. Onwards and downwards!
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 7,805 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    On the issue with the 12 year old and the the juice, tell him that each one comes out of his pocket money with a high rate of interest added. That way he learns about interest rates and the cost of borrowing if he drinks them or lets his friends do so, and you save on pocket money to cover the replacement cost? Alternatively just tell him he's not allowed to touch them?

That 79 month snowball gives you a challenge to aim for then doesn't it! The countdown to reducing that timescale starts now, I'm guessing?

As for Sky - 10k interest over 79 months, -v- that "premium" channel - I know which I'd choose!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 3rd Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Oh I do tell him he's not allowed to have them.. it's in one ear and out the other. Deducting from pocket money is a good thing I think!

Sunday was 7yo's school fayre. I made her bring £5 of her own money out of her piggy bank to spend. it certainly made her think about which stalls she wanted to have a go on.

79 months (6.5 years!!) is certainly a challenge! I'm hoping we'll be able to reduce that and pay a bit more off once we're out of the overdraft. My forward forecast has that as being cleared around Feb/March time.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I borrowed the money to pay off 12yo's ski-ing trip from my brother. I've set up a DD to pay him back monthly and it will be cleared in 6 months time.

I've also booked some days off for during the summer holidays so now to start planning what we're going to do and see where I can make savings using vouchers etc.

Feeling positive (for a change!)

Naomi x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7,805 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Maybe a sit down with 12 year old and explain that "you can't touch this" means just that - and that helping ones-self to things from the fridge will result in the fridge AND cupboards being locked so NO snacks are accessible? I'd not have dreamed of just helping myself from the fridge at that age - and I can't imagine you would either! Definitely the pocket money approach though - I don't mind betting just the threat of that might work!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 4th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    No you're right, I wouldn't have just helped myself. Half the trouble is he's home on his own after school for a couple of hours. He often has a friend back and I don't mind if they drink the squash, just not the cartons, etc.

I sent my forecast to MrM today, just so he can see my plan of action for debt busting. He knows now all of our debt, including the credit cards so at least we are on the same page. I've made a small allowance for the end of this month and next month for the kids for the school holidays so they can have the odd trip swimming or an ice cream and I don't have to constantly say no.

Naomi
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 4th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon.

At least you have a clear plan in place to clear the cards and have the visual plan in front of you. It's always better if both of you can work towards that plan.

I can't believe how quick the summer holidays have come round. Hope you have some lovely plans.
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 7th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Grrr got caught out by an unexpected payment date today . The payment for SKY came out but I thought it was later in the month so it pushed us over the overdraft. Luckily I'd put £115 in the savings so I whipped that back out and will put it back when I get paid next week.

12 yo finishes school next Friday and 7yo the Thursday after.

I have some MrT's clubcard vouchers for bowling that need using by 7th August and we've planned two trips to London using the Merlin passes. London Dungeons for 12yo and London Eye for my FiL as he's never been on and can go up with 12yo on his carers pass.

I also have planned two more trips to Chessington World of Adventures with friends whilst the Merlins are still active and hoping to get a day at the New Forest in too as it's not too far away. We might even manage an afternoon tea

We also have a surprise 70th party to go to next Saturday which I'm looking forward to. Just need to have a think about a cheap gift!

Naomi x
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 10th Jul 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    A lovely cheap weekend. Saturday did nothing much but signed DD up to the summer reading challenge at the library. Sunday DD and I went to Chessington World of Adventures. We took a packed lunch and DD found £6.50 on a ride that had obviously fallen out of someones pocket! So we had ice creams! (it was a hot day )

When I do my grocery shopping and get petrol, I put it on my MrT's credit card to save the points. I put by £625 a month to cover the cost. £475 on groceries and £150 petrol. I've totalled this months spend so far and it's £518. I have one more weekly shop to do on Wednesday so I'm hoping I'll be under budget by around £50-£60.

So all in all feeling pretty positive for now

Naomi x
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 11th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Well my positive bubble has burst I have a credit card DD coming out on the 13th (thursday) and I get paid on the 14th (Friday). There's not enough money in my account to clear it so I'm wondering if I call the bank they will honour it as it's one day.

MrM has also !!!!!!ed up his gym membership. He took it out in January and hasn't been. I asked him to cancel which he said he'd done via email. This was a couple of months ago, the payments came out so I cancelled the DD. They've tried to take payment. They say it's a 3 month notice period, they have no knowledge of his cancellation. His phone is old and knackered and keeps running out of storage so he's deleted all his emails so now he has no proof that he's cancelled. They've now added on a £20 administration fee. AND we're probably going to have to pay for another 3 months.

so today I'm not happy.

I also signed up to Prolific but there's never any surveys on there. I need to check the make more money boards ...

Naomi x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 7,805 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    If OH's email is a hotmail get him to check his sent items - my iPhone certainly generally copies stuff across that was sent to the phone into my main sent items that I access online. Worth a try and it may be that others do the same.

Prolific - have you definitely done all the prescreening stuff? Without those you don;t get the surveys and if you;'re checking reasonably frequently and seeing nothing I'd say there's something wrong. The prescreening stuff can be accessed via your dashboard on there.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 13th Jul 17, 6:53 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    MrM uses Yahoo mail. He could access online but it's a problem having no storage left. I bought an sd card but there's only about 3 apps he can put on there so it's not saving much space. He's deleted every unnecessary app & I've disabled a few of the preloaded ones. Buying a cheap phone isn't always economical.

With prolific. I answered loads of questions . There were LOADS! so I'm pretty sure I've done all the pre screening. I'll keep checking.

I've become a bit obsessive checking the bank account. I'm logging in about 4/5 times a day. This .month I got caught by a couple of payments coming out on dates I wasn't expecting so next month I should know exactly where everything is.

Payday on Friday.
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 13th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    Ooh, so I went on Prolific and there were LOADS of other screening questions. I feel almost violated! I did have one survey so I completed that for £1.75

I applied for a market research this morning too but haven't heard back so I'm assuming I'll not be doing that one.

Today has been ok. Nothing sneaking out of the bank account that I wasn't aware of or prepared for.

I'm going to go and check my MrT credit card balance now and make the payment ready for tomorrows payday

Naomi
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 15,666 Thanks
    Siebrie
    we have two ties and two PE kits. (He lost them, I replaced, he found them weeks later).
    Originally posted by Naomim
    Hi Naomi,

I've been reading your diary yesterday and today right from the start, and you are describing my greatest horror. Not having enough money to renovate, getting a loan, and then a cowboy builder. It's the sole reason we have not yet added an extension to the house. Good luck with getting everything together again.

On the bit you said above: I think I'm a bit stricter than you on 'lost items'. If my girls lose something like this, I go through the 'lost and found' bin at school and pick out something that fits them. I've noticed that they then become much better at looking for the lost items When the original items are found, the items from school go back into the bin (washed and ironed...).

Also, your tooth fairy is expensive!! Fire her and hire a cheaper one! My dds get a 10cent coin.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6467,11= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 13th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Naomim
    On the bit you said above: I think I'm a bit stricter than you on 'lost items'. If my girls lose something like this, I go through the 'lost and found' bin at school and pick out something that fits them. I've noticed that they then become much better at looking for the lost items When the original items are found, the items from school go back into the bin (washed and ironed...).
    Thanks for reading through. I guess things have to get bad before they get good. I always thought I had a handle on the finances (Obviously not!) But now I'm far more aware of what's available and what's not. We were always eating out, not majorly expensive places but now I'm more aware and more enabled to MrM to say no.

7yo's school has a huge overflowing bin of lost property. I marvel at it and have been known to liberate the odd jumper with no name tag. 12yo's school doesn't seem to have lost property. When he lost the pe kit, I called & the office was a bit vague about where stuff is kept. It seems each department has its own lost property.

The house has been a nightmare but hopefully it will be finished soon. Tomorrow we have a plasterer coming in to finish the utility room & downstairs wc. Obviously we'll paint it ourselves.

Now I'm working on getting the overdraft cleared and credit cards paid off. Slowly slowly....

Naomi x
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 14th Jul 17, 4:55 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,904 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Gyms are notorious for harsh cancellation policies (many of them will say cancellations have to be in writing and then not allow email) and taking the P. I'm sorry it happened to Mr N. At least you're on top of it now and I assume it's formally cancelled now? Make him go there every day for the next three months so you get your money's worth - even if it's just to use their hot water and shower!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,310Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter