Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,220Posts
    • 2,884Thanks
    Naomim
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017
    • 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017 6th Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    I'm baaaack.

When I started my original diary "A Ditherer's Diary" My kids were littlie's aged 5 and 15 months. Nothing except their age and the amount of debt has changed, it's all got higher! They are now 11 & 7.

Having had a quick read through, a lot of it was me coming and going with a few months/years in between.

I recently came back to MSE and went straight onto the Debt Free Wannabe board. I posted an SOA . The debts are dire.

We've recently had an extension and a lot of work done to the house. It was awful, we've had to sack the builder and he owe us a lot of money. The roof is leaking, the house needs re-wiring. The dog is poorly and needs a £4k operation... .

I know this is all going to take a very long time to sort out. Little by little, step by step I can hopefully creep us out of the overdraft, melt the credit card debts and maybe even have some spare money one day!

My plans for the following week are:

Find the new credit card I got for 0% interest balance transfer - activate it and set-up direct debit
    Use the snowball calculator again to see how this has changed.
    Get car insurance quotes
    Make packed lunches every day
    DO NOT buy coffee out.

I've joined the £2 savers club. I was a member a few years ago and have always saved them. It physically hurts to spend one.

I hope you'll come and help me along the long and winding path.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 £18,609.97 / Jun17 £21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 £4577.44 07/17 £4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    £2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
Page 6
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 9th May 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Thanks Paul,

We had an electrician in to re-wire and he wrote a report. We took photo's. NICEIC said that because we have had someone else in and didn't ask the builder to return and put the work right, their hands are tied. My husband was dealing with it so I've just messaged him again to see if there was any movement.

N
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 9th May 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    In other news,
    I went to buy MrM's monthly travelcard and the card was declined. I usually put by £300 a month to cover house insurance, car repairs, MOT, birthday & Xmas presents so this month I have had to withdraw the £300 to cover his travel. He needs it as we both commute and it's cheaper than buying daily/weekly.

So MrM now knows the true extent of the overdraft. He's not smoked for a week which is a fab achievement so far and if he can keep it up it will start to make a dent in the finances.

I had a job interview last week and I've not heard anything back. They said they wanted to move fast to get someone in so I'm assuming I've not made it to the second round of interviews. I'm feeling quite sad as I really wanted this job.

I have a few more bits to put on ebay, just some of DS's clothes but not expecting too much for them. It's his birthday in a months time and no idea what to get him. He knows we don't have much money at the moment so I'm sure he isn't expecting much. We have Merlin passes from last year so thinking of taking him to Thorpe Park with a friend as we can get a half price ticket for the friend.

I also sold a few bits and pieces at the weekend at a Childrens Nearly New sale in aid of Cancer Research. They get to keep 25% of what you make and not all of my things sold so I'm only expecting about £15-£20 from that. Anything is a bonus

I must also remember to register for my NUS card. I bought an online course a while ago but not done anything with it. With the NUS card I can get discounts all over the place. I should also renew my Compare The Market insurance to get the 2for1 movies. Last year I bought 1 day UK travel insurance for £2.50 and got the 2 for 1 movies for a year. I saved a fortune with that thanks to this website!

That's all for now I think. A trip to Ald! tomorrow for the weekly food shop and doggy to the hairdressers. I've been putting it off but he's a shaggy,smelly mess and needs a good bath and haircut.

N
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 15th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Afternoon, just a quicky as I'm at work.

I didn't quite get done all I wanted to in the week. I collected my CRUK money and made £21. Now I've mislaid the envelope that had the cash in!
    I've applied for my NUS card so that should be with me in a few days.
    I also bought one days UK travel insurance for £1.11 and got my Meerkat Movies back. Taking 11yo to see Guardians of The Galaxy 2 on Tuesday as he missed going with a group of friends due to him having a hacking cough.
    Still got stuff to get on eBay. Must try and do this on Wednesday.

Still not heard anything back from the job interview so thinking I definitely didn't make 2nd round. Shame they could have let me know.

Back to looking.

Naomi x
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 15th May 17, 3:31 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Oh no! I hope you find the envelope with the cash in!

Well done on getting your NUS card and Meerkat cinema sorted, what a good idea to buy 1 day's travel insurance and get the offer

There was a thing on the BBC breakfast news this morning about lack of feedback from job interviews. One of the experts they had on suggested candidates email for feedback on their interview performance, they might like your proactiveness and keep you in mind for something in the future even if you didn't get it this time?
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 18th May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Nothing got done yesterday. The dog had his booster injections at the vets. He's such a wimp he screamed as if she'd cut him with a rusty knife! Seriously, she said she'd never known a dog to cry as much. He was playing it for all it was worth, even turned his nose up at a treat (unheard of).

I spent £97 at MrT's too but this is a big shop to stock up bits in the freezer and then the rest of the month I shop in A!di.

Sadly I didn't get anything done for the rest of the day, my friends 15yo DD went missing so I spent the afternoon driving around looking for her before I had to collect mine from school. I'm happy to report she was found by police around 4.30am this morning.

On Friday MrM & I are going out for a meal with his football club. He's a manager for an U12's tea m but has been invited onto the committee. Looking forward to it but hope it's not too expensive!

Naomi x
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 13th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    I can't believe it's been a month since I posted. I hide away when I know it's all going wrong. I know when I'm in control of the finances I feel better but I just can't keep control at the moment.

I had another job interview yesterday and have had positive feedback so hopefully I'll be put forward for the 2nd round of interviews. Luckily I am employed but I work 4 days and they can't offer me full time.

I just don't have any other way of making money. I have an unused sleeping bag up for sale on eBay. 10 watchers no bids yet but hoping with festival season starting it'll go!

I'm feeling really desperate about money. Thursday is my DS's 12th birthday. I've bought his birthday presents and spent about £100 in total. I'm hoping we can get in a takeaway for his birthday. I've told him that I have bought him some presents but that we really have NO money. It's very hard to make kids understand when we've never really "struggled".

Today the bank messaged me to say we'd hit the overdraft limit. I get paid on Thursday which will make a bit of a dent. I just don't know where to start with this debt. I can't see how we used to manage earning less and why we can't do it now.. We don't live an extravagant life-style.

I just don't know what to do to get us out of the s**t.

Oh and I still owe £400 for DS's ski-ing trip which I'm sure was meant to have been paid by now. I'm paying £100 each month when the child benefit arrives.

Naomi
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,189 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would think a £400 skiing trip could be counted as part of his birthday present. When did school trips suddenly get so expensive? My children had to pay half of these if they wanted to do them either from birthday or christmas money or pocket money. Sometimes they then decided they weren't that interested in the trips.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 7,565 Posts
    • 39,417 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    wow - £100 on presents and a £400 skiing trip and you've told him that there's no money? No offence, but I'd be inclined to be careful about the message you'll send out with things like that - if he views that sort of value of stuff as "not much" value going forwards, where does that lead him when he's left school and in his first job, or off at uni if that's the direction he wants to take?

Enthusiastic when I was at school standard trips away were things like a week under canvas in Wales (hated every minute) or a day trip to France (about which the only thing I can remember was that I lost my baguette and Eiffel tower keyring on the coach on the way back!) - if I remember rightly a small contribution was required for those - I think there was a trip abroad for some kids in my final year or two, but that was priced out of our reach as a family and alternative stuff was arranged for the ones remaining at school. I suspect the pricier stuff has always been out there - but perhaps it used to be less of a "must-do" to send kids on them?

Naomi you CAN do this but I do think for the time being at least you need to cut your cloth a bit. It's fabulous that you want to give your kids expensive birthday/Christmas presents and let them join in things like pricey school trips, but honestly, at the moment, unless you can either increase income as you're attempting, or decrease outgoings, the budget isn't there for them, is it. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think that's the way it needs to be.

As for your builder deciding to leave you in the carp and then apply for bankruptcy, being lined up against a wall is too good for some people.

Keep posting, Try to make it a daily habit even if the only thing you have to say is "NSD - well done me!" - it makes you accountable to yourself, and can also help you feel less isolated. It does help.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£450.55 (14/08/17)
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 20th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    wow - £100 on presents and a £400 skiing trip and you've told him that there's no money? No offence, but I'd be inclined to be careful about the message you'll send out with things like that - if he views that sort of value of stuff as "not much" value going forwards, where does that lead him when he's left school and in his first job, or off at uni if that's the direction he wants to take?

Enthusiastic when I was at school standard trips away were things like a week under canvas in Wales (hated every minute) or a day trip to France (about which the only thing I can remember was that I lost my baguette and Eiffel tower keyring on the coach on the way back!) - if I remember rightly a small contribution was required for those - I think there was a trip abroad for some kids in my final year or two, but that was priced out of our reach as a family and alternative stuff was arranged for the ones remaining at school. I suspect the pricier stuff has always been out there - but perhaps it used to be less of a "must-do" to send kids on them?

Naomi you CAN do this but I do think for the time being at least you need to cut your cloth a bit. It's fabulous that you want to give your kids expensive birthday/Christmas presents and let them join in things like pricey school trips, but honestly, at the moment, unless you can either increase income as you're attempting, or decrease outgoings, the budget isn't there for them, is it. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think that's the way it needs to be.

As for your builder deciding to leave you in the carp and then apply for bankruptcy, being lined up against a wall is too good for some people.

Keep posting, Try to make it a daily habit even if the only thing you have to say is "NSD - well done me!" - it makes you accountable to yourself, and can also help you feel less isolated. It does help.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean

Thanks, I think with the school trip, I got carried away with it being ski-ing and something we are never going to do as a family. The school offered a payment plan and I wasn't thinking about it (obviously )

The £100 on presents was 3 things. A pair of trainers I got from a retail outlet reduced to £45. A t-shirt and a baseball cap.

So I've been through the bank account and tried to forward forecast all of our regular bills. If we don't spend any extra AT ALL, we can reduce the debt down by around £250 a month. This is giving MrM and I both a cash budget to stick to so if we want to see friends etc it comes out of our own personal budget.

Obviously if I get a full time job my salary will increase and we could decrease the debt a lot quicker. I've applied for loads of jobs but only had 3 interviews. One was a no, one not heard back at all and that was weeks ago and one I've had positive feedback but they want me to wait until the end of the month.

I've also been thinking about other options. I have a fair amount of "spare" credit on my credit card with 0% offers (all my credit card balances are 0% at the moment). I could do a cash transfer to my bank account to get it to a healthier position OR we could look at changing bank accounts completely so we have no overdraft then pay the overdraft off like a debt.

I'm not sure if either of these would be a "workable" solution or even which would be for the best.

I sold a tent on ebay last week. £10.50 + postage
    And I've been making packed lunches for MrM and myself. Today has been an NSD

Naomi x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 7,565 Posts
    • 39,417 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yay for NSD's and eBay sales.

The 0% card dilemma - are they definitely money transfer cards? I know you have to be careful with that because trying to do a transfer from the wrong sort of card can count as a cash advance which is bad on all sorts of levels...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 20th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    It's Barclaycard. I'm pretty sure it's money transfer but I would double check first.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 21st Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi Naomim, I just wanted to pop in and offer my support. I know how hard it is to overcommit yourself (especially when it comes to the kids) and feel completely overwhelmed by covering all bases.

I don't have any solid advice other than trying to keep on top of it, find a solution that works for you in terms of recording income and outgoings (you may have already, so apologies if you have) and then set aside time every few days to take stock of where you are and what your next few days will look like.

I have lots of ups and downs, lots of days full of motivation and others filled with financial woe, so I understand what you're feeling right now. Chin up and good luck!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 22nd Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Thanks JoJo,

I know we will get out of it sometimes and I feel much happier when I'm in control and looking at it regularly rather than ignoring it which is a bad habit of mine. It's like I cover my eyes and think, well if I can't see it, then I don't have to deal with it. Part of it is feeling angry with myself for letting it get this way and instead of saying "no" we can't afford or do something just sort of willing it to happen. I also feel sad that as we're hitting our 40's and this is a time when we should start to have some savings and looking to pay off the mortgage we're in the worst position we've EVER been in financially.

Oh wasn't is hot yesterday!!!

MrM coaches a kids football team in the Surrey FA Youth League. Last night they had a friendly match planned but the trains were all messed up with rails buckling. To cut a long & boring story short, after much driving around and dropping off and collecting we didn't start making our way home until 9pm having had no dinner. This is where I would normally say, lets order pizza, or get a KFC bucket or Mcdonalds BUT I was good. I stopped at the chippy and bought two portions of chips. Total spend £3.60. Not perfect, but good

I did my weekly shop at Aldi. It was still £79 but my freezer is fully stocked as well so I'm happy this will see me through for a couple of weeks apart from milk, bread and packed lunch goods.

I'm tracking my "cash" spends on my phone. This is my monthly personal budget. It helps keep me more focused. I usually run out in the middle of the month so this month I am aiming on having a few nsd's and hoping it will last until next payday.

Today I am having lunch with a work colleague. I've brought in a salad and a packet of grapes with me so I'm not tempted to spend. I may push the boat out on a can of drink.

Naomi x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7,565 Posts
    • 39,417 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Go on, resist the can of drink and grab that NSD - you know you want to!

And I'd definitely say that's a win on the food side of things - I sometimes do the portion of chips thing and then add a couple of fried eggs when I get home in those circumstances - still really "fast food" but makes it feel a wee bit more like an actual meal.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 23rd Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Go on, resist the can of drink and grab that NSD - you know you want to!

And I'd definitely say that's a win on the food side of things - I sometimes do the portion of chips thing and then add a couple of fried eggs when I get home in those circumstances - still really "fast food" but makes it feel a wee bit more like an actual meal.
    Bloody Hell!! I ate my salad and we went over to the pub. I bought a fruity cider thinking it's bigger it'll last me longer. £5.80!!!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 23rd Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JoJoC
    WOW! That's daylight robbery! That same one would have probably cost you £1.50 in the supermarket. Some of these pubs have got a cheek to charge what they do. I suppose that's one way of limiting it to just one drink!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 26th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    so now I'm starting to really worry as we're going over the overdraft.

Today is not a good day. There is £65 of my overdraft available. MrM is paid on the 30th but I have a credit card payment due to come out on 28th of £101.00. I had £140 in my savings which is supposed to cover xmas /birthday presents, car repairs etc so I've transferred some of that into my bank account and £15 from PayPal I made on eBay.

I realised with my finance spreadsheet that although I have 5 credit cards with balances (all on 0%). I hadn't separated the payments out, so I just had it a lump sum of the minimums. Of course this is no good as they all come out at different times. So today I logged onto them all to get the amounts due this coming month and the payment dates. I can't find the log in details for one and don't think I have the card anymore as I tend to cut them up if I only use it for balance transfers. !!!!!!.

I was trying to save £300 a month to cover Christmas, birthdays, car repairs, vets, clothing etc but I've had to keep dipping into it every month so I've cut it right back to £115 a month. I've played with the spreadsheet so hopefully we should be reducing the debt every month now.

This coming month isn't helped by having a final gas/electricity bill. My tariff finished so I moved but I owed BG £154.

It's also quickly coming up to school holidays. 12yo breaks up in 3 weeks, 7yo in 4 weeks The kids will need to be entertained at some point! I know we can easily do trips to the park & beach and we will but I will need to be careful and make sure I take packed lunches. I think I need to check on my MrT's clubcard points and see what we can do as cheaply as possible.

Naomi
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 26th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7,565 Posts
    • 39,417 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Great idea to see what you can do for holiday entertainments with clubcard points! Alson well rescued on the credit card payment.

Might it help to see if you can get them all onto a particular day or at least a bit closer together?

Agree about the cost of that cider being daylight robbery too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 26th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Naomim
    Great idea to see what you can do for holiday entertainments with clubcard points! Alson well rescued on the credit card payment.

Might it help to see if you can get them all onto a particular day or at least a bit closer together?

Agree about the cost of that cider being daylight robbery too!
    I'm not sure if credit card companies are willing to change payment dates because of the statement dates. I can but ask.

Both my kids will need new school shoes and shirts before September. 12yo blazer is fine and we have two ties and two PE kits. (He lost them, I replaced, he found them weeks later).
    7yo needs new polo shirts so at least I can get them and 12yo's from the supermarket. Shoes will need to be a bit more of an expensive spend Having said that. 7yo has been in same shoes almost all year and 12yo only on his 2nd pair which will last till the end of the school year. I'm working on ancient Chinese foot wrapping on them

so this is what my July should look like:

opening balance -2,570.47
    Daniel & Jessie savings -20.00 -2,590.47
    NEXT -10.00 -2,600.47
    Gas & Electricity -45.00 -2,645.47
    Car Tax -36.30 -2,681.77
    TV Licence -12.12 -2,693.89
    Tesco Mobile - Naomi -30.48 -2,724.37
    Sky Protect -10.99 -2,735.36
    Life Assurance -101.33 -2,836.69
    Mortgage -834.62 -3,671.31
    British Gas - Final Bill -154.99 -3,826.30
    Oyster - simon -215.90 -4,042.20
    Barclaycard -126.95 -4,169.15
    MBNA - NUBA? -53.32 -4,222.47
    Xmas savings -70.00 -4,292.47
    Clothing -20.00 -4,312.47
    Vets -25.00 -4,337.47
    Life Assurance -4.57 -4,342.04
    NAOMI SALARY 1528.10 -2,813.94
    M&S Credit Card -87.89 -2,901.83
    Oyster Naomi -126.00 -3,027.83
    Water -46.49 -3,074.32
    Simon & Dan Mobiles -70.00 -3,144.32
    Sky -105.00 -3,249.32
    Pet Insurance -16.69 -3,266.01
    Groceries -475.00 -3,741.01
    Petrol -150.00 -3,891.01
    Simon month spends -100.00 -3,991.01
    Naomi month spends -100.00 -4,091.01
    Council Tax -174.00 -4,265.01
    Dog Food -15.00 -4,280.01
    ParentPay - Daniel lunches -50.00 -4,330.01
    Go Henry - pocket money -25.00 -4,355.01
    Home Insurance -19.19 -4,374.20
    SIMON SALARY 2125.28 -2,248.92
    MBNA - naomi -101.04 -2,349.96
    MBNA - Simon -27.09 -2,377.05

Naomi
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 26th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,189 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I think you need to look at a few things to economise further. Spending more than £100 on mobiles and a further £105 on Sky when you are so stretched seems a bit daft TBH. Can you threaten to cancel sky to get it cheaper or go for a cheaper package? Same goes for mobiles if out of contract. Go for sim only.

Also, while I understand the reasoning behind wanting to save for your children the reality is you cannot afford it at the moment.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,622Posts Today

8,661Users online

Martin's Twitter