Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,175Posts
    • 2,671Thanks
    Naomim
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017
    • 6th Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    A Ditherer's Diary (again) 2017 6th Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    I'm baaaack.

When I started my original diary "A Ditherer's Diary" My kids were littlie's aged 5 and 15 months. Nothing except their age and the amount of debt has changed, it's all got higher! They are now 11 & 7.

Having had a quick read through, a lot of it was me coming and going with a few months/years in between.

I recently came back to MSE and went straight onto the Debt Free Wannabe board. I posted an SOA . The debts are dire.

We've recently had an extension and a lot of work done to the house. It was awful, we've had to sack the builder and he owe us a lot of money. The roof is leaking, the house needs re-wiring. The dog is poorly and needs a 4k operation... .

I know this is all going to take a very long time to sort out. Little by little, step by step I can hopefully creep us out of the overdraft, melt the credit card debts and maybe even have some spare money one day!

My plans for the following week are:

Find the new credit card I got for 0% interest balance transfer - activate it and set-up direct debit
    Use the snowball calculator again to see how this has changed.
    Get car insurance quotes
    Make packed lunches every day
    DO NOT buy coffee out.

I've joined the 2 savers club. I was a member a few years ago and have always saved them. It physically hurts to spend one.

I hope you'll come and help me along the long and winding path.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 18,609.97 / Feb17 19222.48 Overdraft Nov16 2,416.88 / Feb17 1863.48
    2 savings club #26 48 NSD'S Feb17 2/8
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
Page 6
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 9th May 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Naomim
    Thanks Paul,

We had an electrician in to re-wire and he wrote a report. We took photo's. NICEIC said that because we have had someone else in and didn't ask the builder to return and put the work right, their hands are tied. My husband was dealing with it so I've just messaged him again to see if there was any movement.

N
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 9th May 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Naomim
    In other news,
    I went to buy MrM's monthly travelcard and the card was declined. I usually put by 300 a month to cover house insurance, car repairs, MOT, birthday & Xmas presents so this month I have had to withdraw the 300 to cover his travel. He needs it as we both commute and it's cheaper than buying daily/weekly.

So MrM now knows the true extent of the overdraft. He's not smoked for a week which is a fab achievement so far and if he can keep it up it will start to make a dent in the finances.

I had a job interview last week and I've not heard anything back. They said they wanted to move fast to get someone in so I'm assuming I've not made it to the second round of interviews. I'm feeling quite sad as I really wanted this job.

I have a few more bits to put on ebay, just some of DS's clothes but not expecting too much for them. It's his birthday in a months time and no idea what to get him. He knows we don't have much money at the moment so I'm sure he isn't expecting much. We have Merlin passes from last year so thinking of taking him to Thorpe Park with a friend as we can get a half price ticket for the friend.

I also sold a few bits and pieces at the weekend at a Childrens Nearly New sale in aid of Cancer Research. They get to keep 25% of what you make and not all of my things sold so I'm only expecting about 15-20 from that. Anything is a bonus

I must also remember to register for my NUS card. I bought an online course a while ago but not done anything with it. With the NUS card I can get discounts all over the place. I should also renew my Compare The Market insurance to get the 2for1 movies. Last year I bought 1 day UK travel insurance for 2.50 and got the 2 for 1 movies for a year. I saved a fortune with that thanks to this website!

That's all for now I think. A trip to Ald! tomorrow for the weekly food shop and doggy to the hairdressers. I've been putting it off but he's a shaggy,smelly mess and needs a good bath and haircut.

N
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 15th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Naomim
    Afternoon, just a quicky as I'm at work.

I didn't quite get done all I wanted to in the week. I collected my CRUK money and made 21. Now I've mislaid the envelope that had the cash in!
    I've applied for my NUS card so that should be with me in a few days.
    I also bought one days UK travel insurance for 1.11 and got my Meerkat Movies back. Taking 11yo to see Guardians of The Galaxy 2 on Tuesday as he missed going with a group of friends due to him having a hacking cough.
    Still got stuff to get on eBay. Must try and do this on Wednesday.

Still not heard anything back from the job interview so thinking I definitely didn't make 2nd round. Shame they could have let me know.

Back to looking.

Naomi x
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 15th May 17, 3:31 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Oh no! I hope you find the envelope with the cash in!

Well done on getting your NUS card and Meerkat cinema sorted, what a good idea to buy 1 day's travel insurance and get the offer

There was a thing on the BBC breakfast news this morning about lack of feedback from job interviews. One of the experts they had on suggested candidates email for feedback on their interview performance, they might like your proactiveness and keep you in mind for something in the future even if you didn't get it this time?
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's April 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan 12,498.33 / Barclaycard 9,733.76 / MBNA 1800.00 / HSBC Card 2340.10 / Catalog 695 / Dreams 517

And don't forget the Student Loan! 15,199.37 (April 2016)
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 18th May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Naomim
    Nothing got done yesterday. The dog had his booster injections at the vets. He's such a wimp he screamed as if she'd cut him with a rusty knife! Seriously, she said she'd never known a dog to cry as much. He was playing it for all it was worth, even turned his nose up at a treat (unheard of).

I spent 97 at MrT's too but this is a big shop to stock up bits in the freezer and then the rest of the month I shop in A!di.

Sadly I didn't get anything done for the rest of the day, my friends 15yo DD went missing so I spent the afternoon driving around looking for her before I had to collect mine from school. I'm happy to report she was found by police around 4.30am this morning.

On Friday MrM & I are going out for a meal with his football club. He's a manager for an U12's tea m but has been invited onto the committee. Looking forward to it but hope it's not too expensive!

Naomi x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

8,132Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin