Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flamenco45
    • By flamenco45 5th Jan 17, 4:19 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    flamenco45
    CPS Midlands Parking Charge Notice
    • 5th Jan 17, 4:19 PM
    CPS Midlands Parking Charge Notice 5th Jan 17 at 4:19 PM
    I have been through many posts and threads and have downloaded letter templates re challenging and appealing PCNs but I can't find an answer to my specific question: I parked in a car park with a machine out of order. I phoned the number given and heard a recorded message say no-one was able to take the call. No message facility so couldn't leave one. I left a handwritten note in my car window and found a PCN when I returned. I took photos of the machine, and my note and appealed. The company (CPS Midlands) rejected the appeal, BUT they have recorded my number plate incorrectly so when I try the IAS online appeals, my real number plate and their PCN number don't tally. I don't think I want to tell them they have my car reg wrong so 1) what should be the next step? Also 2) is a machine out of order and no phone contact possible sufficient grounds for appealing against a £60 charge?
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 44,143 Posts
    • 56,871 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The first thing you need to do is request a POPLA code from CPS, this entitles you to make your case at a hearing specially set up for parking appeals. This costs them (CPS) about £27 :-), so they probably won't even do this as the machine wasn't working.
    Originally posted by Caparn
    Are you posting on the wrong thread?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Caparn
    • By Caparn 16th Mar 17, 1:43 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Caparn
    This isn't helpful. CPS (Midlands) is an IPC operator where POPLA is not the second stage appeal provider.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    CPS Midlands is a member of BPA, the BPA code says details of how to submit a claim to POPLA must be included in the PCN. If they haven't provided details on the parking notice about POPLA that should be sufficient for their claim to go through POPLA as the first appeal after CPS have refused it. POPLA take on cases after any deadline, they were set up specifically for parking so can deal with it better than a small claims court. CPS are a bunch of clueless amateurs and I'd put money on it that no summons will be received from TCN and all that will happen is flamenco45 will just be harassed a few times on the phone by TCN.
    Last edited by Caparn; 16-03-2017 at 1:48 AM. Reason: .
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    • 11,801 Posts
    • 17,982 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    CPS Midlands is a member of BPA, the BPA code says details of how to submit a claim to POPLA must be included in the PCN. If they haven't provided details on the parking notice about POPLA that should be sufficient for their claim to go through POPLA as the first appeal after CPS have refused it. POPLA take on cases after any deadline, they were set up specifically for parking so can deal with it better than a small claims court. CPS are a bunch of clueless amateurs and I'd put money on it that no summons will be received from TCN and all that will happen is flamenco45 will just be harassed a few times on the phone by TCN.
    Originally posted by Caparn
    https://theipc.info/aos-members/c

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/BPA-Approved-Operators
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Caparn
    • By Caparn 16th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Caparn
    Well that's odd because on CPS Midlands website they state they follow the BPA code of conduct:
    http://www.cpsmidlandsltd.co.uk/about.html
    The BPA code of conduct says they must provide information about POPLA on the PCN. They have probably been kicked out of BPA for not following their code of conduct or can't afford their fee.
    Anyway, CPS Midlands would never win any case anywhere if the machine was broken and they don't answer the number provided on the machine. My advice is still to tell them that you do not owe them any money and the only way you will pay is if the take you to some sort of court and the court finds you should pay, ideally POPLA but I'm sure you won't get anything other then harassing phone calls from TNC who will eventually go away.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 16th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 6,626 Posts
    • 6,534 Thanks
    pappa golf
    cps joined the IPC 01/04/2016 and have simply not updated the website
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 11,801 Posts
    • 17,982 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Well that's odd because on CPS Midlands website they state they follow the BPA code of conduct:
    PPCs state many things; if you accept what they say at face value you are already behind the curve - and vulnerable!
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Caparn
    • By Caparn 17th Mar 17, 12:16 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Caparn
    PPCs state many things; if you accept what they say at face value you are already behind the curve - and vulnerable!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Well all I can say is flamenco45 best advice is to not pay CPS Midlands anything and only offer to pay if either POPLA or a small claims court say they should.
    Umkomaas, you don't have any connection to CPS Midlands do you? You seem to be awfully keen in stressing how vulnerable flamenco45 is when they parked somewhere with a faulty machine and no one answering the phone.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 44,143 Posts
    • 56,871 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Umkomaas, you don't have any connection to CPS Midlands do you?
    No, Umkomaas is one of our regular advisers doing this for free. He was actually suggesting you are vulnerable if you go to a PPC's own website for 'facts' instead of checking on the IPC and BPA lists. Looking at a PPC's own website is normally pointless, I rarely glance at them (except good old UKPC's rubbish photo evidence!).

We are just trying to stop you - or anyone else - suggesting that they have POPLA available when they don't, and can blithely ignore private PCNs which hasn't been good advice since 2013. PPCs sue people quite a lot now. TNC are toothless of course but it doesn't mean the case won't progress later.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,336Users online

Martin's Twitter