Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Ryan
    • By MSE Ryan 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 35Thanks
    MSE Ryan
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal
    • 4th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal 4th Jan 17 at 2:58 PM
    Hi guys, we're featuring a new exclusive offer on the site that whilst perhaps not being suitable for everyone, we feel might be a good deal for some of you;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#firstdirect

First Direct
    New. Free £125 cash & rated no.1 for customer service

Newbies to First Direct* can now, via our link, get £125 to switch to it (£100 direct). It has excellent customer service – it's won every bank service poll we've ever done, with 91% of its customers rating it 'great' – only 3% said they got poor service. You also get a small £250 0% overdraft, and can open a linked 5% regular saver.

Need-to-knows
    To get the £125 switching bonus, you need to use First Direct's switching service to fully switch and close your existing account and pay in at least £1,000 within three months of your account opening.
    Once you've made the payment, the £125 is credited to your account within 28 working days.
    This account has a £10 monthly fee, but this is waived each month you either pay in £1,000, have an average monthly balance of £1,000 or hold selected other accounts with First Direct.
    You can't get the switching bonus if you've ever held an account with First Direct before.
    First Direct shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with HSBC, so ensure you don't hold more than £75,000 across the two banks.

You can find the rest of the need to know information via the above link.

If you have any problems with the switching process, you can contact First Direct's account opening team on 0800 24 24 24.

If you're still struggling, you can post on this thread, below, or reach us via direct email on: voucherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com
    MSE Ryan

User Relations Manager
Page 2
    • avian946
    • By avian946 26th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    avian946
    does anyone know how long the £1000 has to be in the account to count as part of their criteria for getting the £100 bonus? my plan was to have my salary put into this account and then move it out 2 working days later.
    • Birdman2015
    • By Birdman2015 26th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Birdman2015
    does anyone know how long the £1000 has to be in the account to count as part of their criteria for getting the £100 bonus? my plan was to have my salary put into this account and then move it out 2 working days later.
    Originally posted by avian946
    Yes,that will be fine.

My wife just applied for this account, was accepted and set up a switch, was told the switch date would be 25/4/17. So much for the 7 day switch.
    • Caineo
    • By Caineo 27th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Caineo
    Also only seeing the £100 not £125. Do you need to start the process before the offer is applied?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 27th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    Also only seeing the £100 not £125.
    Originally posted by Caineo
    The £125 has now finished.
    Last edited by Terry98; 30-03-2017 at 5:51 PM.
    • anto164
    • By anto164 29th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    anto164
    You have to consider the time for the correct set up of the account, the 14 day cooling off period, then the 7 day switching service.

It's not 7 days from submission of application, i made that mistake when i switched.
    • jappiem78
    • By jappiem78 12th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jappiem78
    I had exactly the same experience. Because I have a joined mortgage with them, they consider you an 'existing customer'. I had to complain to get my welcome bonus 'honored'. I wrote a blog post about it (on my LinkedIn). Just Google ' The easy 15 step process to become a First Direct customer' and get some biscuits and tea.

Once you're through this horrendous process they are actually not too bad!
    • cinders59
    • By cinders59 24th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 5,413 Posts
    • 54,150 Thanks
    cinders59
    This sounded like a good deal, but I could not apply as I have a loan on my account that they take payment out of and thus could not have it closed, I don't see why they have to close your existing account, seems silly why it could not remain open
    Thanks to all who post comps
    ITV winners membersclub#2
    • Reptile11
    • By Reptile11 26th Apr 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Reptile11
    Chaos
    I've started a thread ...first direct chaos...
    Here I list my points. Switching was problematic and without feedback
    There are hidden clauses before switching. Must have a regular income.
    Be aware
    Rep
    • okydoky
    • By okydoky 26th Apr 17, 10:59 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    okydoky
    There were a few hoops to go through, especially having to verify my identity which has never been as onerous with other applications.

However what did annoy me was having to remind them twice about the incentive payment, initially as I thought is was paid in 28 days whereas in fact they pointed out it was 28 working days - but then it still didn't appear despite all of the criteria being met, at which point they apologised and have now said it will be within the NEXT 28 days!!
    • Kevin Draper
    • By Kevin Draper 6th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Kevin Draper
    Has anyone had experience of success or rejection with opening an account when being truthful with the application questions - eg "are you intending to pay in your salary", "will you use this as your main everyday bank account". MSE and Which? are promoting the idea of circulating money between 3 bank accounts.
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 12th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    How long?
    Wasted half an hour on FirstDirect site, unable to find the answer.

Once you'd received your £125 (or should I say £100 as that appears to be what it is now) how long do you have to have that account open? I mean, if you shut the account X weeks or months later do they take back the £100?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th May 17, 5:56 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    Wasted half an hour on FirstDirect site, unable to find the answer.

Once you'd received your £125 (or should I say £100 as that appears to be what it is now) how long do you have to have that account open? I mean, if you shut the account X weeks or months later do they take back the £100?
    Originally posted by MONEYTREE
    Why do you want to leave ? First Direct are one of the only banks that give you money to leave in the first twelve months if you are unhappy with them.
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 14th May 17, 3:42 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    Terry that does not answer my question!

Can anyone answer it please?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 4,287 Thanks
    badger09

If there is nothing in the T&Cs which specifies that you must hold the account for xx weeks/months or forfeit the incentive, then you can close the account, or move on whenever you wish.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 15th May 17, 6:03 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98

The reason I asked was because of this...

'***£100 to say goodbye

We're not just sure you'll love our service more than anyone else's - we're banking on it. If you don't like the way we do things after six months, we'll not only help you move banks - we'll give you £100 as a leaving present.

To qualify, you must have paid at least £1,000 a month into your account for six months and not have banked with us before, as well as switched to us initially using the Current Account Switch Service. You need to contact us to let us know you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account, and you'll get the money within 28 days of the criteria being met. If you do decide to leave, all other products you hold with first direct will also need to be closed.'
    http://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/current-account

Sorry if it didn't answer your question!
    • brisker
    • By brisker 16th May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brisker
    applied accepted in 2016 still with them their service is second to none will be with them forever thanks for the link
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 18th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    Can you get the switching bonus of £125 if you currently have a current account with HSBC, which owns First Direct?
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 18th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    Thank you Badger! x
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 4,287 Thanks
    badger09
    Can you get the switching bonus of £125 if you currently have a current account with HSBC, which owns First Direct?
    Yes.

Basically, if the T&C don't actually say you can't, then you can.

What is not specified in T&C is as important as what is
    • MandyHowes
    • By MandyHowes 6th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MandyHowes
    Problems setting up Bank Account
    Is it just me or is anyone else having problems applying for this account online? Everytime I try to, it kicks me off once I have completed all of my employment details, nothing is saved and then I have to start all over again from the beginning.This is the 3rd time its happened and I'm getting really frustrated, I had problems with Santandar too and Im fed up trying! Any really easy bank accounts to set up online out there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

1,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin