Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,531Posts
    • 19,289Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9575 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £48,575.28
    Loan £3334.75, CC 0% BT £892, Car loans £22,879.88

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 25
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi W, the sleep is slowly getting better. Not sure if the wedge helped as DS likes to roll about a lot & kept moving himself off the wedge to lie sideways. Maybe I need to try it underneath the mattress rather than on top. He did wake slightly less last night.

Scott, those are the videos I use! YWA is very good as so many different videos & sheís very clear in her instruction. She does 30 day challenges so am doing her new one right now. Added bonus is that her dog wanders in & out and he is super cute. Did you get sorted with your OO payment?
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9575 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £48,575.28

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 6th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    haha thats good Sashybo taking advantage of free vids is always good lol

Re opinion outpost yeah i did it was a mess on mind it turns out i had done a draw down as there were having a system update or something and everything went haywire. I havent had an issues since luckily, are you still avoiding them?
    Cashback Earnings YTD £8.25 Survey Earnings YTD £38.38
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Scott, glad you got it sorted. Yes Iím still giving them a miss as it happened twice & took so long to sort out. Itís a shame as they are a good earner.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 5,619 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Could always try rolling a blanket up (like a sausage) and placing it under his sheet so it sort of 'hugs' under his bum to stop him sliding off. DD is nearly 4 and still has a sausage under her bum (we use a swimming waddle under the sheet) because she is wedged to near enough being sat up

Glad he seemed a bit more settled though x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks W, Iíll probably try that tomorrow as DH has just put him down. Will see how much he moves about tonight. I do think it eased the congestion even though he spent half the night rolling down it.

Weíve had a lazy day today so hoping to get out for a walk in the park tomorrow for some fresh air. Also going to visit Mr Al for a few top up things, going to make slow cooker chilli as we had mince in the freezer & trying to be better at using things up. DS can try a bit of the chilli too as we donít make it spicy (My PIL donít do spicy food & spicy food sets off my mumís bad asthma so we just got into a habit of making a mild base chilli) we add fresh chillies to our own portions when serving if wanted.

Iíve been posting over on the new frump to fab thread and had a recommendation for jeggings from uniqlo after moaning about my jeans/jegging problems (I.e. none of them fit me properly & constantly slide down - Iím in dread of a builderís bum scenario, especially with having to get up & down from the floor with DS all the time). Anyway Iíve ordered a couple of pairs in different sizes to try as they do free returns so I can return the ones that donít fit. Fingers crossed at least one pair do!

Also read a link posted there about bra sizing, mine have not fitted at all since having DS so tried the measuring method in the article. According to their sizing I should be wearing a 32E, I currently wear 34/36B so seems a big jump! I really need to go & try on lots of different sizes and see what fits.

Going to head off shortly & do yoga then have a nice hot bath since DH is at home & can deal with DS if he wakes up.

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 7th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    haha thats good Sashybo taking advantage of free vids is always good lol

Re opinion outpost yeah i did it was a mess on mind it turns out i had done a draw down as there were having a system update or something and everything went haywire. I havent had an issues since luckily, are you still avoiding them?
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    They are its not loads but i am on a fiver with them this week already.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £8.25 Survey Earnings YTD £38.38
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    I did my yoga and had a nice bath but poor DS just wouldn't settle and kept waking up hourly all night. Ended up taking him into our bed at 5am to try and get some sleep and he had his longest stretch of sleep, which was 3 hours.

Poor wee soul kept having dirty nappies so think he might be teething again or maybe he had a sore tummy. We have all been knackered all day so hoping he sleeps a lot better tonight. He's been asleep for an hour & a half so far so fingers crossed.

My mum seems to think I'm not feeding DS enough carbs and thinks I'm feeding him too much fruit/veg and that's what's causing the dirty nappies but he always gets this when teething.

He has baby porridge (plain, banana or the more textured tropical fruit one) in the morning after his bottle, then for lunch after another bottle either a fruit or veg puree (starting to mix two veg ones together at the moment or adding the fruit puree to full fat natural yoghurt), mashed banana or boiled egg mashed and usually a bit of what I'm eating or a finger of toast. For dinner he has another bottle and then again bits of what we're eating and then maybe a rice pudding or egg custard or sometimes mashed potato. He then has another bottle before bed and sometimes will have another bottle throughout the day.

I know I need to look at different things for him to try and admit I'm finding it all a bit confusing. I'm never sure if I'm giving him enough but don't want to overfeed him either. My mum seems to panic and then thinks she's helping by telling me what she thinks I'm doing wrong but she's stressing me out & annoying my DH.

Hoping I can get out to Mr Al's in the morning and DH will stay at home with DS, then we can take him out in the pram for some fresh air. I might go into town as well to have a quick browse about whilst DH has DS.

Didn't have the slow cooker chilli tonight as we were late up etc but did get it into the slow cooker so we can have it tomorrow. Chilli usually tastes better the second day anyway. We did have some burgers out of the freezer and DH made chips so that was nice.

Should really get to bed early tonight as so tired, have done my yoga already anyway.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Managed to get out today although it was pretty frosty. We had a late start as DS still didn't sleep well, he was waking up every 2 hours rather than hourly though which was a bit of an improvement. Just hope he sleeps better tonight.

Went into town and tried on bras in Marks, surprisingly the E cup seemed to fit a lot better than my usual B. The 32 back feels really tight as I've been used to wearing a 36, I tried on some 34s but felt they were a bit big.

I bought 3 bras but might take them back if I feel the 32 is too tight whilst wearing. I also found another 2 bras in the clearance section which were marked £9 each but scanned through at £2.

The excitement might be short-lived though as when I tried them on at home they feel super tight even though they are the same size as the other 3 non-clearance bras. I think it might be to do with the styles, I can't return the clearance ones - maybe they will stretch a bit with wear? Hope so.

Might just go back and see if they have the £2 ones in a 34 back and try them on before buying this time - was in a rush when I saw the clearance ones so didn't try them on but as I had just tried on the others in the same size I thought they would be ok. I also bought a nice top for £7.50 but forgot the £10 voucher I had sitting at home. So annoyed as spent nearly £50 so £10 off would have been good. Oh well I'm sure I'll use it for something else in the near future.

Also bought some gift sets in the B00ts sale to use throughout the year - got 2 FCUK body wash & body spray sets for my nephews, 2 small Charlie body spray sets for my older nieces, a wee set of Ted Baker EDTs for men, again for one of my nephews & an S&G tin with travel size toiletries all for £24.25. The money can come of out this month's contribution to the presents account. Had a voucher for £5 worth of B00ts points as well so did well today.

I then headed to Mr Al's & got stocked up, always so pleased with the amount of food I can get there compared to one of the big supermarkets.

DH had taken DS out for a walk in the pram whilst I was out and they had a good time. We had the slow cooker chilli for dinner and think DH is planning something with salmon for tomorrow night.

The furry terrors are now being locked out of the kitchen at mealtimes as the small cat is getting overly bold and stealing food from DS. He just laughs because he loves her! I even caught her standing on the high chair tray whilst DS was in the high chair once. The other 2 cats wouldn't do anything so naughty but are now guilty by association.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 5,619 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    First of don't let your mums comments upset you or worry you.

Food before 1 is just for fun. He doesn't need any food. The advice use to be to do more 'savoury' type things and veg rather than sweet/puddings. More because they'd prefer the sweeter things but who wouldn't Also fruit can flare reflux symptoms.

Honestly don't panic. Offer more if you want, he won't eat it if he doesn't want it. If you don't want to that's cool. He still has his formula.

WHO guidelines have fab info on weaning and so do healthy start online etc if you don't have a sure start group.

I know it's easy for others to say but try and not worry, it's all fun

You're doing an amazing job x

Well done on the bargains, Bra extenders an option? x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi W, thanks for that. I was just feeling a bit worried after my mum had said that, I know sheís been dying to say something for ages & was stopping herself but obviously gave in this time. I have been doing a lot of reading & it reiterates what you said, that he doesnít need to eat at this stage and itís more for experimentation at this point. Iím trying to be relaxed about food as donít want DS getting any negative vibes about it.

I know my mum means well really, she just thinks her way is better sometimes. She has been really helpful since DS was born but has been a bit funny over some things as the recommendations have all changed for feeding etc but she thinks I should still do some things the way she did.

I actually heard my aunt (who is older than my mum) talking about the same kind of thing to do with her DIL & grandchildren saying that she told her sheíd need to feed them from 3/4 months although the health visitor said 6 months. She was talking to my other aunts saying how ridiculous this was etc. So at least itís not just me getting it in the neck. My mum did say to me oh the baby formula must be so much better now if they can stay on it until 6 months without food as well.

Good idea about the bra extenders, that might be an option. I know the clearance bras only cost £2 each but they are nice & Iíd like to wear them.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Today has been quite a chilled day as DH's last day off before going back to work tomorrow. He is on day shifts though so we'll be able to have dinner together most nights. He made a lovely salmon dinner tonight that had a mango & pineapple salsa, was yum. It was actually our 15th anniversary today (non-official as we only got married after being together for 10 years ).

Bought some things in the H&M sale today - on a bit of a spending spree at the moment. Most of the order was kids clothes for presents though, so not too bad. Ordered a top & leggings for my niece's 3rd birthday & our friends girl's 6th birthday, both in March (nothing like forward planning). Also bought t-shirts for my twin nieces and some trousers & a top for DS in a bigger size, a t-shirt for DH and a wee knitted dress for my friend's baby. My friend & his OH are adopting and the baby is the same age as my DS so wanted to send a small gift down to them. I bought two pairs of trousers for myself - one jersey pair for days in the house with DS and one high waist stretch pair. No idea if the sizing will be any good for me but can return if not. Got 10% off and free delivery for signing up to the H&M club too so got it all for £49.

Have now completed 8 days of yoga in a row and feeling so much better for it. So glad that I started it again, just need to keep it up.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Day 9 of yoga completed, followed by a hot shower whilst DH put DS into bed. Thought Iíd get both done whilst I had peace to do so.

My uniqlo order arrived today - there wasnít much between the two sizes of the jegging/legging trousers but I decided to keep the bigger size as didnít want the dreaded muffin top. They seem nice quality, comfy & most importantly have a high waist so no builderís bum!!

I also got a long sleeved cotton top & it is lovely quality for £9.90, would definitely buy one of those again. Another item that sneaked into my basket was a white cotton blouse with pin tucking at the front. Have been looking for one for ages as a cover up for hot weather as I burn in seconds but could never see one I liked, so I just got it. Very impressed with all the items so far.

DS only woke up twice before we went to bed last night & not at all overnight for the first time in ages. He didnít wake up until 8:30 this morning & it felt like a long lie for me. Fingers crossed he does the same tonight.

We bought a baby stair gate & it got delivered today, needed an extender for it as we live in a new build & everything is wider so standard baby gates are too small. Going to put it at the top of the stairs, we will need one at the bottom eventually but not yet as we have a door between the stairs & our downstairs areas.

Got £40 from 0nepoll today - forgot all about it so can use it towards my recent shopping sprees (anything not covered by Christmas money or present fund) and/or DHís birthday next month.

Actually got a £5 PA survey today so will be able to cash out once thatís cleared.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 11th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS still slept well but not as well as the night before. He woke around 6:30am as DH was getting ready for work so just took him into bed with me and he went back to sleep until 8:30.

Got my H&M order delivered today - very speedy, I'm impressed. Everything great except for the high waisted stretch trousers - I got into them and did them up, all great unless I ever wanted to sit down in them. So looks like I'm a 14 in H&M trousers not a 12. I actually think someone has told me before that you tend to need to go a size up in there as the trousers are generally smaller. Oh well, I'll return them to the shop next week as also have a few things to return to other places.

Completed day 10 of yoga, was thinking about skipping it but glad I didn't as enjoyed it once I got started.

Payday tomorrow. Our current account will look slightly less horrendous.

Might go into town with DS for a wander about tomorrow and possibly meet my mum.

Managed to cash out on PA today too.

• chanie
    • By chanie 11th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 9,272 Thanks
    chanie
    Hi sashy,

I’ve just come across your diary, so I’ve subscribed to it.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £142.66
    Live more - £1436.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi chanie

Managed to get into town with DS yesterday & met my mum. I returned 2 of the bras I had bought previously as bought 3 more online & had them delivered to the shop & it still cost less than the other 2 bras I had bought. So now I have 3 black, 3 nude, 1 purple & 1 pink bra in a much better fitting size. This is including the two £2 bras so got 8 bras for under £50. Think Iíve bought enough now.

Had a lazy night, so no yoga but will be back to it tonight. My twin nieces have asked if they can come over tonight & maybe stay over. Theyíre 9 and good fun so going to get them to do yoga with me. They love helping with DS & good for him to see them too.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hello sashybo

I agree about feeding your DS. It's just about textures at stage, exploring the world with their mouths.

Naughty cat, clearly loves him very much and is just helping. My cats on the other hand hated the babies and avoided them like the plague.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hello redofromstart ooh another new visitor!

Thanks I think my mum just panicked a bit thinking he needed more food & then I panicked as well.

My cats are all naughty in their own ways. The food thief is very small so is the perfect size to stand on the high chair tray and then snatch & run. She loves food & will steal anything edible, I caught her trying to eat raw peanuts last night that my DH had foolishly left out. She likes being next to DS though & they lie on the couch together with him rubbing her ears. Thatís when heís not holding onto her tail so she canít move & sheís shouting at him. I always watch carefully as heís so young but sheís never been aggressive towards him (as yet) & cuddles up to sleep with him when Iím holding him for a nap.

My big cat likes to rub his head against DSís hand to ask for a pet but usually moves away quickly when DS tries to pull his ears. My oldest cat tends to sit on my knee when I have DS but stays carefully just out of his reach. He loves older kids & is the first to go up to them but not so much with babies.

Forgot to mention that my oldest cat has two tufts of fur missing from the top of his head, like ripped out at the roots missing. DH said it looks like he has horns growing in. Think there must have been a disagreement with one of the other cats.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds like you have lovely cats then, and a DS who will be pet friendly. I got the kittens the week before I found out I was pg with DS1 so they were one when he was born. He cried a lot. Never stopped unless he was asleep so they disliked him a lot and spent as much time outside as they could. To be fair I sympathised with their views
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 19,289 Thanks
    sashybo
    Weíre lucky the cats are all quite people orientated, my oldest cat will be 10 this year, big cat will be 4 & the food thief will be 3 so they were all pretty settled before DS was born too.

They all avoided him for the first month or two, my oldest cat was very put out and fell out with me. He always followed me about & sat with me before that so I was a bit upset but he eventually realised DS was staying so he had to get used to him. He now tries to push DS off my knee with his fat furry bum so he can sit there too.

Aww poor you & poor DS redo, my DS didnít want to be put down for the first 6 weeks or so, would just scream unless someone was holding him and that was hard enough, so hats off to you for dealing with the full time crying.

• chanie
    • By chanie 14th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 9,272 Thanks
    chanie
    Great savings on the bras. It goes to show that there are good deals to be had.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £142.66
    Live more - £1436.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,671Posts Today

11,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hi folks. I'm drowning in questions and can't get to them all. So I'm going to prepare key links which should put? https://t.co/JjGl2DlqBp

• Depends on the ex-wife's credit score. You acan apply to 'disassociate' if you are truly no longer financially lin? https://t.co/1YBdwA9MBE

• Annoying barring mortgage most affordability calcs are based more on income and debt rather than your actual person? https://t.co/MbyirMydbx

• Follow Martin