Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,458Posts
    • 18,688Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9565 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £46,824.32
    Loan £3754.39, CC 0% BT £952, Car loans £24,151.20
Page 24
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 30th Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    sashybo
    We woke up to snow this morning it’s so cold & I don’t want to leave the house. Glad I bought a snowsuit for DS now.

DS not doing too badly sleeping in his own room, the first night he woke up crying quite a few times. I think he was wondering where he was, poor wee lamb. Both myself & DH found it hard to sleep & were worrying about him even though he was only down the hall.

I’m still having to get up to him a few times a night but it’s only been a few days so he’s doing well really. Hopefully will get him in the cot next week and he’ll take to it ok and go back to (mostly) sleeping through.

Our friends were round last night with their two girls who are 4 & 5. They wanted to help me with everything with DS, they picked his vest & sleepsuit for bed and even wanted to help wash him. I drew the line at them giving him his bedtime bottle.

When they were leaving he was in his bed and they wanted to see him before they left. I had to show them him on the baby monitor screen to stop them stomping upstairs to kiss him. They both drew pictures for him & the 5 year old said to me “Ok can you just pop that on the chair in DS’s room so that he sees it first thing in the morning” Such a wee granny.
    Last edited by sashybo; 01-12-2017 at 6:17 AM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9565 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £46,824.32
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS has now transferred from the moses basket in the cot to just being in the cot & he seems a lot happier with more space to stretch out. We bought him a soother that attaches to the side of the cot & lights up and plays music when you hit the button. Good for the mornings when DS wakes up but it's too early to get up as it keeps him occupied. He is slowly working out how to press the button.

Went shopping on Friday with my mum and DS and we met two of my aunts as well. Did a bit of shopping and DS was really good, only got crabby towards the end when he needed to sleep.

DH off on annual leave this week so nice to have him around as a good help with DS. I've got some sweetpea seedlings that I need to move into pots so need to do that in the next few days.

Working on photo books of DS for the outlaws & my mum, want to get the orders submitted by the end of the week so that they arrive before Christmas.

Money not great atm due to the way bills fall & our pay being 4 weekly, meaning payday moves all over the place.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 9th Dec 17, 2:09 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    sashybo
    Well I got my sweetpeas potted & they are all out in the greenhouse. Have also planted the last of the spring bulbs into pots. Will need to remember to pre-order some seed potatoes in the next month or so so we can have new potatoes next year again.

DH put the outside Christmas lights up today but we still have to do inside. The cats always attack the Christmas tree so itís a bit of a nightmare having it up. Might do it tomorrow.

I went out with some girls from work the other day to see Mamma Mia at the theatre then we went for dinner & drinks afterwards. Musicals arenít really my thing but it was enjoyable enough. I really shouldnít have drunk cocktails though. Was ok the next day until about 3pm when I started getting terrible stomach cramps and was really sick. Felt awful for around 5 hours and stomach still aching now.

Iíve decided Iím not drinking at the work Christmas lunch as DH will be working the next day & I canít be hungover/ill on my own with DS. I donít know how I would have coped yesterday if DH hadnít been off work.

Poor DS has got a bit of a cold & a tummy bug - lots of dirty nappies and poor wee soul hardly slept all night. Of course that means none of us really slept so DH & I are a bit zombie like today.

Managed to make an overpayment to our highest interest loan the other day. I had £100 survey money & DH had money from selling a few things so we paid £600 off which is roughly 3 months worth of payments. Hoping to make an overpayment each month to try & cover the majority of the interest but will see how it goes.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,908 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Amazing overpayment Sashy

Hope DS is feeling better soon x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks W, we were pretty pleased with it. Just hope we can keep paying some extra off every month to try & reduce the term & the amount of interest overall.

Cashed out of 0nepoll at £40 for the last time today, I'll be able to cash out at £25 from now on.

Poor DS has only really picked up in the last 2 days but he's still a bit grumpy. I've been doing more reading on the baby led weaning & a lot of it makes sense but not sure if I want to do the whole thing.

Today I let DS loose on half a weetabix softened with his milk & he got it everywhere. Like in his hair & eyebrows everywhere. I don't think much went in his mouth at all but that's not really the point at this stage apparently. He screamed blue murder when I had to clean him up, the cats loved the weetabix dropping off the highchair (& cheeky wee cat helped herself to a bit off the highchair tray ) but not so much with the screeching.

He then had a chip (so healthy at least it was an oven one) & played with a bit of gnocchi at lunch. At dinner time he had a stick of toast & played with some baked beans but didn't seem to like the feeling of the sauce on his hands. We were trying some persimmon so gave him some & he was feeding himself with it and seemed to enjoy it.

I think I'll try to let him have a bit of what I/we are eating when possible but will spoon feed things like porridge/yoghurt. He tries to use the spoon & it ends up in his eye. All trial and error for us both really. He has his bottle first so that he's not starving, otherwise he's just angry & gets frustrated wanting his milk.

Put the Christmas tree up on Saturday after all & have only had a couple of cat related incidents so far. Oldest cat has tried to have a few sneaky chews of the artificial tree branches and/or tinsel but the whole tree shakes & jingles when he does it so I can run in & chase him away. Middle cat likes to lie under it & play with the baubles, again causing shaking/jingling so he's been shouted at too. Wee cat is usually the troublemaker but she's never really been interested in the tree & doesn't go near it.

Have pretty much finished the Christmas shopping, waiting on a few things being delivered so we can send them on to the outlaws. Cards have mostly been sent as well.

Christmas food still to be bought but we have £15 vouchers for M0rries & £15 for Marks plus a £5 off £35 food spend voucher. So hoping to get a small Christmas cake & some snacky bits from Marks & maybe the meat for Christmas dinner from M0rries. Just us as DH working boxing day so we are visiting relatives earlier in the day then back home for dinner.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 15th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Afternoon, Sashybo, I havent been around for a while so am astonished that your newborn (giant) baby is already feeding himself!

Btw, that doesn't sound like the cocktails doing you harm, its got to be food poisoning if it was later in the afternoon.

Glad you're all well, even if we are all feeling the pinch in the run-up to Christmas

Paws x
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £30433
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 15th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Paws, nice to see you again.

Canít believe my giant baby is 6 months old already to be honest! Itís flown in.

You know I was wondering if it was a stomach bug or something. I do tend to have 3 day hangovers these days and my stomach will feel a bit sensitive after drinking too so wasnít sure if it was just because Iíd mixed my drinks (had both gin & vodka based cocktails and a bit of wine ). But Iíve never had a hangover that involved stomach cramps and the last time I was sick from drinking was probably 10 years ago. So not nice & my stomach still feeling sensitive a week later.

Yep definitely feeling the pinch - statutory maternity pay is not fun but as you say weíre all well and thatís the main thing.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin