Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,444Posts
    • 18,633Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £8865 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £46,224.32
    Loan £3754.39, CC 0% BT £952, Car loans £24,151.20
Page 22
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 8th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Scott, I'll have a look at those other sites, might as well try & make extra money whilst on mat leave & DS not on the move yet!

Hi Bob, so nice to "see" you. Aww thanks, DS is a really good natured wee soul, I don't know where he gets it from! He's starting to laugh at things now, mostly DH's face amusingly enough, he doesn't even have to be looking at DS, must just have a funny looking face. DS was peeking at DH over my arm last night when I was trying to get him to sleep & just kept bursting out laughing. So funny.

Yes the cat's bill just had to come at the worst possible time after us having to replace the dishwasher & the fridge freezer over the last couple of months as well. Feels like one step forward, two steps back at times. You're right though, will get there in the end.

I definitely feel better when I'm doing my yoga regularly Bob. My chiropractor is a big yoga fan too & she said it's helping my back/pelvis so need to keep it up. I have noticed that some shapes are harder to achieve since having DS or are actually a bit sore, so have to adjust so I don't hurt myself.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £8865 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £46,224.32
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 12th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been a bit rubbish at updating here the last few days, like to do it as it keeps me on track.

Loan no1 is now under £300! So close to being paid off - if it takes until November (hoping to do it quicker than that) it will be paid off 18 months early.

Have done around 30 mins yoga everyday except yesterday as decided that would be my rest day.

Poor DS a bit unsettled as his gums have been sore again but he's cheerful most of the time. He managed to roll over from his tummy onto his back twice today. Both times when I wasn't in the room with him - typical! I put him on his big blanket on the floor for some tummy time whilst doing a couple of things, ran upstairs to get a clean bib, came back down & he was lying on his back looking vaguely puzzled, as though "How did I get here?" Put him back onto his tummy & nipped into the kitchen, came back & he was on his back again!

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS managed to roll over again twice yesterday, think he might be getting the hang of it now. He was very good yesterday & I managed to get the bathrooms cleaned as well as some surveys done whilst he chilled out in his bouncy chair. Bought him a space saver jumperoo in the Mr A baby event (not as big, cheaper & can be folded I think) - going to set it up tomorrow & see what he thinks.

Have paid another £5 off loan no1 with more survey money, canít wait to pay it all off.

Bed stripped & sheets now out on the line, nice & windy with a bit of sun so hopefully theyíll dry quickly & the rain stays away.

DH checked our phone contracts this morning & both out of contract so he has changed us both to slightly lower priced SIM only deals. It will save £5 a month between us which is better than nothing.

Took my gas & electricity meter readings again today & have submitted them online. Have put a reminder on my phone to do this every 2 weeks.

My sister is coming up this afternoon for a while so will be good to see her. Sheís going to bring some lunch with her as well.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend Sashy x
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Hidden, we had a nice weekend & were sociable.

Friends of DH's parents dropped in to see DS on the Friday as they were on a break up here & have known DH since he was wee. Was nice to see them & we have an invitation to visit & stay a night with them at some point. They are quite far down south so get much nicer weather than us as well.

We're thinking of driving down to see the outlaws at some point next year so we could go away one night to visit their friends (as they're close but not too close) & another night to visit DH's aunt & uncle.

This would be good as nice to see people but will also stop the rage that ensues after being stuck in the same house as the outlaws for days at a time.

On Saturday we went to visit our friends & had lunch at theirs. Their little girls are 4 & 5 and kept asking things like "Can the baby talk yet?" "Can he eat this?!" *holds up slice of pizza* "what about this?" *holds up handful of Doritos*

I made dumpling (cake - my MIL thought I was mad the first time I asked her if she wanted a slice of dumpling with a cup of tea ) & we took some of that, a bottle of wine we had in the cupboard & some of DH's homebrew rather than going to the supermarket & spending £20 on junk food & alcohol.

We had a lazy Sunday & on Monday we went to the Swedish flatpack shop to buy a highchair for DS. My mum looked after him at her house so we had peace to have some lunch & wander about a bit.

In good financial news I've had £40 survey money through so paid that off loan no1.

In bad financial news our pet insurance claim was rejected. We had to put it on the CC & only have £90 in the cat account. The bill was just under £600. I have £30 to bank & put towards it, so £120 can be paid straight off but have had to balance transfer the rest. Not ideal as this means another outgoing every month when I'm now on SMP. The only good part is that it's 0% until June 2019 so we can pay the minimum every month if we're really struggling. We can use the money we usually pay into the cat savings for the minimum payment if we need to as well.

Really annoyed that we've had to add to the debt & feeling like one step forwards (loan no1 nearly paid off) and two steps back (on SMP & huuuge cat vet bill).

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 21st Sep 17, 12:57 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thanks Hidden, we had a nice weekend & were sociable.

Friends of DH's parents dropped in to see DS on the Friday as they were on a break up here & have known DH since he was wee. Was nice to see them & we have an invitation to visit & stay a night with them at some point. They are quite far down south so get much nicer weather than us as well.

We're thinking of driving down to see the outlaws at some point next year so we could go away one night to visit their friends (as they're close but not too close) & another night to visit DH's aunt & uncle.

This would be good as nice to see people but will also stop the rage that ensues after being stuck in the same house as the outlaws for days at a time.

On Saturday we went to visit our friends & had lunch at theirs. Their little girls are 4 & 5 and kept asking things like "Can the baby talk yet?" "Can he eat this?!" *holds up slice of pizza* "what about this?" *holds up handful of Doritos*

I made dumpling (cake - my MIL thought I was mad the first time I asked her if she wanted a slice of dumpling with a cup of tea ) & we took some of that, a bottle of wine we had in the cupboard & some of DH's homebrew rather than going to the supermarket & spending £20 on junk food & alcohol.

We had a lazy Sunday & on Monday we went to the Swedish flatpack shop to buy a highchair for DS. My mum looked after him at her house so we had peace to have some lunch & wander about a bit.

In good financial news I've had £40 survey money through so paid that off loan no1.

In bad financial news our pet insurance claim was rejected. We had to put it on the CC & only have £90 in the cat account. The bill was just under £600. I have £30 to bank & put towards it, so £120 can be paid straight off but have had to balance transfer the rest. Not ideal as this means another outgoing every month when I'm now on SMP. The only good part is that it's 0% until June 2019 so we can pay the minimum every month if we're really struggling. We can use the money we usually pay into the cat savings for the minimum payment if we need to as well.

Really annoyed that we've had to add to the debt & feeling like one step forwards (loan no1 nearly paid off) and two steps back (on SMP & huuuge cat vet bill).
    Originally posted by sashybo

Hopefully well if you have had your 40 quid mine shouldnt be long sure i dropped my 40 quid after you.
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.10 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 22nd Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Keep your chin up, bumps will happen you're doing an amazing job!

Have a lovely weekend x
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 23rd Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Hidden, just incredibly depressing to have to add to the debt total. At least itís a smallish amount compared to our loans & is now on 0%. Better to make any overpayments to the interest bearing loans.

Have been worrying about coping on a reduced income due to moving onto SMP but talking to DH we think we will (just) manage as long as we cut down on food spending (especially takeaways as we have been so lazy since having the baby) & silly spending on things we donít actually need but just want. Debt overpayments will probably be from any survey earnings.

We have already agreed with my side of the family to only buy Christmas presents for the kids - my sister has 4 & my brother has 2 - so trying to get all presents from @mazon using vouchers from my surveys. Iíll still buy my sister & mum something small as they are both single but also have some things in my present cupboard that I bought when reduced throughout the year which might do them.

Have agreed with DH only small things & maybe a nice bottle of gin and some chocolate between us. DS wonít really know whatís going on so only a few things for him too - although he will obviously require a Christmas elf onesie/outfit.

I went to a shopping outlet place yesterday with my sister & DS. Only bought some stuff from the G@p outlet, including baby G@p hoodies which were too cute to resist. Bought one in 6-12 month size & another in 12-18 month size. Also got him a pair of jeans & a pair of trousers, again both in bigger sizes. Everything was 40% off, even when marked down in the sale (which both pairs of trousers were) & the hoodies were 50% off. Must admit to buying myself a pair of jeans & a hoodie as well as the prices were so good. No more spending for me now.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 26th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Taking DS for his 16 week immunisations today, I think he gets 3 jags again this time the poor wee soul. Hate taking him for the immunisations, although he usually recovers quicker than me.

DH is working so taking my mum with me - weíre also dropping into my sisterís afterwards as itís my twin nieces birthday today & their big brotherís tomorrow.

Had to wrap birthday presents for the kids & DH had used all the sellotape & not replaced it. So I had to use parcel tape on the presents instead.

DS having a nap after screaming like a banshee. He was hungry but refusing his bottle, think he might have reflux, poor wee soul. Hopefully heíll feel better after his nap & take his bottle & then I need to get us both ready to go out. Hate going to appointments as always worried Iíll be late/miss them and everything takes so much longer with a baby.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 27th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    DS was a wee star after his immunisation jags (it was 3 ) He cried for a few minutes & had a wee petted lip but then cheered up and was babbling away.

Got him weighed again & now 16lb, so still gaining weight but not back to the 90th percentile. All fine as he was obviously healthy & bright so donít need to take him back unless I want him weighed.

Had a nice time at my sisterís, the kids were pleased with their presents (PJs & dressing gowns, which they had to put on immediately). I thought they would think they were boring presents.

DS has had a bit of a temperature since his immunisations so has been dosed with Calpol all today - which he keeps spitting out.

DH away out tonight so DS & I hanging out with the cats again. Hoping DH will do the bulk of the childcare tomorrow as I havenít really had a break for what feels like a long time. He looked after him for a few hours this afternoon so I could do my yoga & a bit of the housework uninterrupted. Was invited out to dinner by friends but couldnít go as DH was already going out. Fair enough he has been working for the last 7 days.

Need to try & get some weeding done tomorrow and maybe jump out to get a few things.

Iím going to work out a day in the next few weeks when either DH or my mum can take DS and then book an Indian head massage & mini facial for myself. I have a gift voucher so can use that & will still have half the value left to use on another treatment at some point.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th Oct 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Argh I've been locked out of my 0pinion 0utpost account again - same message as last time about violating membership terms - again I was just trying to redeem points. It seems to happen when I try to redeem a larger amount than normal, I usually cash out at £2.50 but when I get a big survey reward, obviously I want to cash more out. So another email to them, hope I get back in quicker than the last time - took them over a week.

Have been keeping up with my yoga and was back at chiropractor yesterday so back/pelvis feeling a lot better. Still sore but nothing like as bad as the first few weeks after having DS.

The outlaws are threatening to come & visit next month, oh joy. Just hope they're not too crazy and let poor DS breathe.

Was at a union meeting for work yesterday - can still stay in the office I'm based at now but no idea what job I'll be doing as the department head is determined to get rid of my job role. There are 8 people affected by this and the dept head wants us to move office & completely change our jobs so we're doing more work but not give us any more money for it. No one is happy at all. I still need to apply for a job share etc on top of all this so they're going to love me.

I took DS with me as still some people he hadn't met, he was very good and just got passed around the room again.

Tomorrow I'm going to be a guinea pig for my sister to practice her hairdressing skills on. She's learned long soft layers and needs a model to practice on and show the lecturers at college that she can do it. I'm sure it will be fine and a free haircut for me as well.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been floating about the forum but been too lazy to post.

My haircut went well last week, my sister was panicking a bit as it was the first time sheíd done layers but she did great.

Have started making fruit & vegetable purees for DS to start weaning him in about 6 weeks or so. Have been freezing then in ice cube trays & then into freezer bags - so far we have sweet potato, courgette, carrot & pear purees. Planning on making pea, potato & broccoli ones as well as apple & banana to get started. Iím a bit nervous but also looking forward to it.

Have ordered an elf sleepsuit with matching hat for DS - was so adorable I couldnít resist.

Was just reading on Hiddenís thread about her DD being really worried at/about school due to things the teacher has been saying to her. It rang a bell with me as I used to worry myself to death as a child over silly things that werenít silly to me at the time. I was an incredibly anxious child although I had/have a fantastic & very loving mum.

Iíve been thinking about it a lot recently actually & wondering why that was. Itís carried on into adulthood as I get really anxious about things most people would consider silly, I still hate making phone calls and have to plan what to say, I hate going to unfamiliar places (especially when driving) as I worry about getting lost etc etc.

I wonder if itís because of things that happened when I was very young (under 2) when my ďdadĒ and I use the term loosely as heís never been a dad to me, used to come home drunk & trash the house & hit my mum. I donít actually remember anything but I wonder if that atmosphere triggered something in me & made me that anxious child. My mum left him by the time I was 18 months & my sister was a tiny baby but had the damage been done mentally? Iíve never doubted I was loved, my mum is amazing but I wonder if the anxiety comes from that very early period or is it just me? Or is it something in my character that has been exacerbated by those early events?

I did say Iíd been thinking about it a lot. I just donít want my DS to be anxious the way I was as a child. I so donít want to transmit that to him at all.

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 13th Oct 17, 11:41 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hope you get sorted with op thats a pain i know now why i cash out right away.
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.10 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    DS is never nearly 6 months That has gone way to fast!

I have never puree food for any of mine BLW all the way, so much fun (and mess )

Hope you've have a lovely weekend x
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Hidden, I know time has flown although DS wonít be 6 months until the start of December so a wee bit of time yet. Heís just such a wee doll & canít imagine not having him now.

Baby led weaning gives me the fear, not that I really know what Iím doing either way. Will have to wait and see how DS takes to it all, he might not want to be spoon fed. One of my friends is doing a bit of both so that might be an idea as well.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    How bad is it I was way to lazy puree Shh that's a secret

Bit of both works well for most I think. Our HV give us a sticker/poster called Choking VS Gaffin
    g - learn the difference save a life, it was a part of our basic first aid course. It was so interesting. I still panic though and mine aren't babies anymore

I think it's crazy how fast that's gone doesn't feel two minutes since posting congratulations.

Hope you've had a lovely day x
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 22nd Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have been rubbish at updating again, not much going on except the usual tbh.

Iím STILL locked out of my OP account. Sent another email to chase them last week & they didnít even bother replying. Will send another email this week, I want my money!!

In much better news, Iíve now paid off loan no1 18 months early!! We now have £153 extra a month which will help massively whilst Iím on SMP. DH has also finished paying off his laptop which was £60 p/m, so weíll have that money too.

I have emailed my union asking if Iím entitled to reduced membership fees whilst on SMP as I pay £19 every 4 weeks. Itís taken through a direct debit rather than through payroll so not sure if I should still be paying the full whack. Unfortunately need to keep paying whatever due to all the problems in my department at work & my job being binned.

Iím putting a letter in to work to formally request a job share when I return & also asking about using keeping in touch days to extend my maternity leave as the company stop paying me SMP in mid February.

Having a wee Halloween party for my DS & his cousins (ages 1, 2, twins are 9 & one 11 yo) & DS is going to be a bat. Wonít be anything big, was scraping out my pumpkin the other day as the cats had attacked it & put a big gash in the side of it. I didnít want it all to rot as fancy trying to make pumpkin pie.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 23rd Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    My union got back to me & as Iím now on SMP Iím exempt from union fees until my return to work and they are refunding my last payment of £19. Glad I checked now or would have been paying that for another 6 months when I didnít need to.

Got out into the garden with DS sitting watching from his carseat (cosier than the pram) & did some planting of the bargain plants we bought the other week and some re-planting of other plants which were too big for the pots they were in. DS loved looking at all the colours & was very good. Just need to plant some bulbs in the front garden within the next week.

Took him to his song & story group today and he really enjoyed watching all the other children. He was exhausted after it.

Have ordered some edible rice paper Halloween toppers for cakes as going to make fairy cakes with orange icing for the party & wanted something to stick on top - they are just wee round ones so only £1.99. Also ordered some black & orange Halloween balloons for £1.10. Donít need much in the way of decorations as most of the kids are too young to even really notice.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 29th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Amazing news on paying the loan off

Hope everything is still going well x
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 31st Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 18,633 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks Hidden, having the loan paid off will be a big help & so pleased the small overpayments helped pay it off so early.

We had the wee Halloween party & the kids had a good time playing with each other & the orange & black Halloween balloons were a hit. My fairy cakes went a bit wrong as I put too much food colouring in the icing & it tasted funny. Oh well.

Finally got back into my OO account so have cashed out £18. It's put me off using them to be honest as was locked out of my account for the whole month through no fault of my own.

Have got a few more survey payouts coming so will use that money towards DH's Christmas presents. Just want to get a few nice things for him as he's working really hard for us atm.

DH had a friend up for the weekend & they went to the casino and DH won a nice amount of money. Some going into DS account & some towards the next loan with the highest interest rate.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin