Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charjack123
    • By charjack123 2nd Jan 17, 10:35 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 17Thanks
    charjack123
    First Names you would never call your baby?
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:35 PM
    First Names you would never call your baby? 2nd Jan 17 at 10:35 PM
    Whether it be boy or girl names.
Page 7
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 6th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Anything common. Emma, Louise et al, through to weird chavvy ones like Kylie and Summer.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 15th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 4,332 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I always remember my home economics teacher, who taught different age groups in British run schools while on foriegn postings with her army officer husband. In one school reception class she was concerned that a little boy called Sean was deaf. She spoke to the parents (being aware that Sean was a version of Shaun) turns out the poor kid was not responding as his parents pronounced his name 'Seen', he did not know he was being spoken to.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 16th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Just heard that a former colleague has just had a baby boy and named him Bruin

Also, overheard someone telling a colleague the other day that their child's name is "spelled Jade but pronounced Shar-day-a"
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • indsty
    • By indsty 16th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    indsty
    Always imagine your baby as a 90 year old lady or gent - and think whether the "sweet" name you want to call them will still be appropriate. I can imagine geriatric wards and elderly care homes filled with Chardonnay, Pixie, Aliviyah, etc etc.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 17th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 54,575 Thanks
    pollypenny
    There was a lad on Breakfast yesterday with the unfortunate name of Junior!

Seems like parents couldn't be bothered: even more egotistical than naming a boy after the father.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I came across lots of strange names whilst working for registrars! Goodlife was an interesting one. I knew of a local girl named Ophelia. Nice name until you know her surname is !!!!. Shouldn't be allowed.
    • wooohooo
    • By wooohooo 17th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    wooohooo
    My 25 yr old daughters name Is Mercedes,If you done your research Instead of Judging, Its a spanish name,
    Origin of the name Mercedes:

Derived from the Spanish merced (mercy). The name is bestowed in honor of the Virgin Mary, "Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes" (Our Lady of Mercy)

Mercedes-Benz got its name from founder Carl Benz. The word “Mercedes” comes from the 10-year-old daughter of a car buyer Emil Jellinek. He was an early customer of the Gottlieb Daimler and ordered a custom-built car that he named after his daughter, Mercedes
    Jan 2016 Cat wand toy,“Kalanchoe beharensis-Tea bags-
    Case of Crabbies
    • GlamGirlie
    • By GlamGirlie 18th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    GlamGirlie
    Chanel. Chardonnay. Ruby. Mercedes. Chelsea. Junior. Princess/Prince.

And anything with a wacky/stupid spelling... honestly do these parents not think of how the poor child will be spelling it out for life!!

If you have to explain how it's pronounced, it's daft!
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 5,599 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Jayden can't be that modern, my great uncle was called Jayden and he was born in 1923.

In our family the oldest son inherits the family name, so normally become known as junior during childhood.

Our other son has a family name from my wifes side, as my daughter may change her name if she married we gave her a traditional Swedish name.
    • DebrasSewingProject
    • By DebrasSewingProject 25th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    DebrasSewingProject
    I know someone who has just named their baby Ulysses, didn't like this at all and was wondering how it would be shortened since most people end up shortening their names..
    • DebrasSewingProject
    • By DebrasSewingProject 25th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    DebrasSewingProject
    Babble have a great site listing all baby names with great meanings etc https://www.babble.com/baby-names
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 27th Mar 17, 1:52 AM
    • 37,284 Posts
    • 33,575 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I know someone who has just named their baby Ulysses, didn't like this at all and was wondering how it would be shortened since most people end up shortening their names..
    Originally posted by DebrasSewingProject
    Uli is not uncommon as a Germanic name, I believe. I don't know if it's a shortening - I've just had friends with this name!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
    • tealady
    • By tealady 27th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    tealady
    I knew of a local girl named Ophelia. Nice name until you know her surname is !!!!. Shouldn't be allowed.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Wasn't Balls was it?
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 27th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,998 Posts
    • 4,640 Thanks
    prosaver
    Wasn't Balls was it?
    Originally posted by tealady
    ha ha
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 27th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    Nicholas Cage has a Kal-el!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    As in Superman's real name? Odd!

But then didn't Robin Williams name his daughter Zelda after the computer game?
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 54,575 Thanks
    pollypenny
    As in Superman's real name? Odd!

But then didn't Robin Williams name his daughter Zelda after the computer game?
    Originally posted by Kate/Bob

F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife was called Zelda. She was born in 1900.

I like that name.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 27th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    I know some people who called their sprog Calliope. Shortened to Callie it's not too bad, I suppose.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 27th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 19,224 Posts
    • 30,996 Thanks
    Spendless
    I thought of this thread tonight when my teenage son asked me the name of the Home Secretary and I answered 'Amber Rudd'. That must have been an unusual name when she was born and would probably fall in to the comments of 'won't be taken seriously when grown'
    • Victoria211
    • By Victoria211 30th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Victoria211
    Princess,Wayne,Madison.
    • pyrocrafter
    • By pyrocrafter 1st Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    pyrocrafter
    Heffina. I once had a commission to make a christening stool with this name and picture of an elephant. Bad choice 😄
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,920Users online

Martin's Twitter