Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 2nd Jan 17, 8:11 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 323Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Quids in for a Limited Time
    • 2nd Jan 17, 8:11 PM
    Quids in for a Limited Time 2nd Jan 17 at 8:11 PM
    Hi. Let me introduce myself. I am an old time user and lately a frequent browser. There is me, my husband & my two kids age 17 & 15. I have £56,000 owing on my mortgage which is on a tracker rate of currently 1.14 which is really good I think. I do make the odd overpayment on it as it kinda gives me a happy feeling the same as say buying a new top or dress does but tbh I think I would be better off putting any spare money in a savings account in view of the rate.
    To be honest though much as I would like to clear the mortgage as soon as possible, there are other things that I would like money for such as home improvements and driving lessons & a car for my daughter. So this is going to really be more of a savings diary than anything else. If anyone wants to join me that would be great but my main reason for doing this is I hope to keep me focused.
    I have added up all our incomings and outgoings and in theory we should have loads left over every month for savings but the reality is we actually don't! We don't have any debts & do have a small amount of savings but its a bit of a mystery where the money actually goes so I have also started a spending diary to establish that! Life has been good the last year as my ex-husband has been paying maintenance which he never did previously so last year we had our first foreign holiday in six years and we have had a much better social life than we were previously able to and the kids have been able to experience some new things.
    I am aware however that as some of our money is maintenance paid from my ex-husband that will be ending at some point soon in view of my children's ages - hence the title of this thread.
    Thanks for reading so far!
Page 4
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 30th May 17, 9:22 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Hi Karmacat, thanks for posting. Yes there are some branded goods in there, partly due to taste preference and partly due to the need for gluten-free. My son's dietician has always told him he does need gluten-free oats due to the risk of cross contamination from ordinary oats plus its only for flapjacks that I make him occasionally. Thanks for reminding about that list of food I had though as there are still some things on there that need to be used!

The month isn't quite over yet but I don't envisage that things will change much between now & then.
    Food costs were £546, eating out & takeaways were £88.50 (I McDonalds, 1 meal out for 2 and 1 takeaway for 4) and clothes / shoes remained at £28. I've been thinking about setting a budget for food next month, nothing to drastic but maybe £500 or £450 if I am feeling really brave. The huge spends are probably partly because I don't actually set a budget I just spend as & when I need to which to be honest is quite frequently partly because of using a variety of different supermarkets so its when I happen to be near them.

On a happier note we have now booked a holiday abroad but not until October half term. I paid a £300 deposit on it this month and still had £150 left at the end of the month for savings. £350 savings for June has already been put away. Just need to book the airport parking and remember to get the visas. Yesterday I sorted out the insurance and remembered to go via topcashback.

I also need to sort out a new house and content insurance which I will also go via topcashback for, make a trip to Makro for some chicken and mince, make some meals for the freezer, see if I can work out my petrol spends from my bank statements, book my DDs driving lessons and try to post a few items for sale on ebay which I haven't used for a while.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 30th May 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi Maiden Mum thanks for posting on my diary I thought I'd pop over and return the favour and see how you are doing.

How exciting a lovely holiday to look forward to and well done on the savings & using cashback sites

I think reducing your food spend gradually is a good idea rather than going cold turkey. I find meal planning and making a shopping list helps but even I have gone over budget this month. Its a lot of work isn't it and sometimes I just think sod it I'm fed up and just chuck anything in the trolley.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 2nd Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Feeling a little stressed! I have been to six supermarkets in the last 2 days and have already spent a whopping £292! This was because it can get so manically busy when I am at work so took advantage of it being half term and also stocked up on bulk purchases. Makro spends for example were £93.22 but this did include chicken breasts at £19.99, chicken drumsticks £11.49, kitchen towels £10.69 diced turkey meat £8.26, 3 Dettols cleaning sprays for £3.75, a big bag of pasta for £3.99 and low fat mince at £9.44. A few days ago I had this vague idea that I would join the Grocery challenge on the Old Style board and try6 to reduce the monthly spends to £500 or lower with also a weekly limit and there doesn't seem any point doing that now!
    I did manage to cook the turkey yesterday and that made a curry for last night and tonight and half put away in the freezer plus off to make lasagnes for the freezer now with the mince although not sure if I can actually freeze the made up lasagne if it has the uncooked pasta sheets with it?
    I also spent about £70 on clothes yesterday and £90 on new bed sheets (which were desperately needed) so all in all a very spendy few days, After this weekend, time to reign in the spending big time!
    • Thisgirlcan
    • By Thisgirlcan 2nd Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Thisgirlcan
    Hi Maiden Mum! I've just read through your thread and I think you can definitely save where the shopping is concerned.

We have a similar income to you but outgoings are balanced differently (our mortgage is £1200) and have 3 children (though young, I appreciate teenagers eat a lot more!) but we are still buying nappies & formula and although he is small he easily eats a small much as the other two haha.

I think a good exercise for you to do would be to list everything you have - your last freezer list would get at least 22 meals for example - and see if you can avoid supermarkets (sounds hard but hear me out lol). I know that when I step into a supermarket I spend money - I buy things we don't need, that look nice, I just fancy this and that and various non food items!

So now I do a freezer shop, usually in the Sainsbury's yellow sticker reductions for meat, fish, bread etc. And then I do a store cupboard shop at Aldi, pasta rice tins etc. I crazy meal plan. I have my fruit and veg delivered twice a week ish from a local place and I buy my milk at the corner shop.
    I know it's a bit different with your son's dietary requirements but I really think if you can sit and get organised with this you'll free up a lot of pennies! I probably step into a supermarket twice a month unless I need something specific and then I am really strict.

Have a bit of a challenge, see how long you can go just eating what you've got in the house and I bet you'll be really surprised!

Oh and I've not frozen uncooked pasta sheets but I make mine up in the foil containers, cook cool and freeze. Although I have got a lot better recently at freezing left overs instead of them sitting in the fridge for a week and being thrown away haha.
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 14th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Quick update - food spends are now at £429 so far for the month and will probably be going to Tesco in the next few days to stock up as I have a £7 off £50 voucher to use Life continues to be a bit manic and I would so love to have a day of calm and peace and quiet!
    Thank you Thisgirlcan for posting, that was kind of you. Do you have a diary yourself? You certainly have a big mortgage payment. Well done you for managing such a large payment every month on a similar income to me. Mine will be dropping soon which I am dreading.
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 5th Aug 17, 4:28 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    A bit of a gap but a quick update will be given. Life is still rather manic and basically no progress has been made on the attempt to reduce grocery shopping at all. I am bored to be even writing this myself but for the sake of at least keeping a record for myself I will do so. July grocery spends were £607, eating out costs were £57, clothes were £6 (underwear for me) and petrol was at least £82 but quite possibly more as I may have missed one spend right at the end of the month.

Freezer check not yet done but cupboard stock check shows these items;
    Tinned new potatoes
    Tinned Sardines
    Salmon paste
    Pineapple chunks
    Kidney beans
    Butter beans
    Cannellini beans
    Black Eyed Beans - 2
    Mixed Beans
    Coconut milk
    Small tin of Chickpeas
    Passata carton
    Tomato puree - 3
    Green Pesto
    Custard - 2
    Pack of Brazil nuts - BB 09/2017
    Free from oats
    1/2 bag of normal oats
    Garlic & coriander naan breads
    Bread Sauce - 2
    Packet of meatballs in tomato sauce
    BBQ pulled pork mix for slow cooker - BB 04/2018
    Oyster & spring onion Blue Dragon sauce for stir fries - 2
    Sweet Chiili & garlic Blue Dragon Stir Fry sauce
    Packet of red lentils
    Tamari soya sauce
    G/f Worcester sauce
    Schwartz Fajita Sauce mix
    Loyd Grossman tomato & chilli sauce - 2
    Bag of long grain rice
    Bag of Basmati rice
    Tins of tuna - 26!!!
    Tins of sweetcorn - 10
    Tins of chopped tomatoes - 9
    Tins of baked beans - 4
    Jars of Hotdog sausages - 2
    Jar of salsa
    Rogan Josh sauce
    Butter chicken sauce - 2
    Balti sauce - 2
    Cheese and Bacon sauce
    Xmas pudding
    Tins of tomato sauce - 3
    Spagetti pasta
    G/F spaghetti pasta

There we go. There is obviously cereal, plus biscuits, crisps, drinks, crackers, fruit etc.

It's pretty rubbish but it is what it is. At least I am keeping a record of what I am spending & I have lots of friends who have absolutely no idea what they spend & at least I have done a store cupboard stock check. DD's 18th birthday weekend away trip has been done & mostly paid for, her driving lessons have started and our family holiday in October has been fully paid for. Hey ho, lots & lots of room for improvement & onwards & upwards I hope.
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 20th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Another big gap but for the sake of keeping a record for myself, food spends etc were as follows;

August: £780.45 food, £14,28 eating out, £108.77 clothes for me, £180 clothes for DH's birthday present & £95.25 clothes for DS's birthday. Petrol I don't know.

September: £548.01 food, £28.00 eating out, £45 clothes for me, petrol I don't know.

October: £609.28 food ( & we were away for a week), eating out & petrol I don't know, clothes for me £18.00.

November: £304.69 so far up to today.

So food spends still horrendous! Only keeping track, no actual budgeting going on I know.

Received my annual mortgage statement last month & was disappointed how little it had gone down so I have decided I am going to make an effort to at least pay something every month off it. Just waiting a week or so to see what's left at the end of this month. I haven't really done any xmas shopping yet & really can't be bothered with it tbh. It just seems like an unnecessary big spend just for the sake of it. Bah humbug I know!
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 20th Nov 17, 10:31 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    Why not do a daily reconciliation of your main bank account ?

Excel or pen and paper.

List all monthly bills and annotate a month before they are due for renewal. (allows time to renegotiate and investigate better deals)

Identify all annual (car insurance etc), 1/2 yearly (Oil fuel etc) and 1/4ly bills. Produce a cash flow to identify what monthly accrual you need to account for to pay these off when due, then add this into your bank reconciliation.

Daily calculate new reconciled balance as a result of what you have spent (don't forget, switch, CC, Pay @ pump, all cheques, contactless etc) This will sow what has been spent and ensure you do not go into OD. Allows you to plan better (savings, holidays etc).

Once the statements arrive check off everything and continue for the subsequent months.

Have a monthly 'pow wow' to beat long term and medium strategies and put these into financial terms and then act upon the results (start high interest bank account, do a regular savings account, get kids into work to start saving for Uni, start own SIPP etc etc )
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 20th Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Silence101
    One thing that helped us when we had to keep food costs down was to meal plan for a whole month. I wrote down 30 meals that I knew we enjoyed /were easy to cook. The kids could help with the list.
    Then I divided the meals into 4 weeks, and wrote all the ingredients down needed for each recipe. But it was in a table format so a column per meal, and each row was a specific ingredient (for example 3 meals needed potatoes, 2 needed onions etc) and then I collated each week in a list. It made it much easier to cross reference what we already had and how much we needed to buy.
    So I had 4 master shopping lists, and we kept following them for about 6 months, just alternating which weekly meals we were eating. It takes a while to set up, but it act saves a lot of time in the long run, as it could last 6 month or so, and it saved us lots of money.
    The hardest bit was coming up with the meals but your children are older so they could be responsible for a week each or something.
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £108.01 /£100 11/17 £471.44/£100 12/17 £114/£100
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 20th Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Enjoyyourshoes - I have to confess I had to read your comments twice & it still blew my mind a bit!
    I find it so difficult to do anything like what you have suggested partly because there seems to be so many outgoing and partly because some of the incomings are weekly and some of the monthly ones come in on different days every month.
    Silence101 - I think I'd be lucky if I could come up with three meals that everyone actually enjoys and am not sure that I could come up with thirty meals that even some of us liked! And therein might be part of the problem! Tonight I made a chicken & sweetcorn pie with shop-bought gluten-free pastry. We all hated the pastry even DS who has to have gluten-free. Yesterday we had chilli con carne which I guess the kids do tolerate although DS didn't actually have any as he was at work for a lot of the day.

I'm trying to think of the meals I make: Cottage pie we do all eat although DD doesn't particularly like it. Same again for Spag Bol.
    Fish pie, DD does but DS doesn't.
    Fajitas yes we all do.
    Roast chicken or roast beef - yes sort of although DS doesn't really like roast potatoes or Yorkshire puddings ( g/free ones)
    Jacket potatoes - yes sort of although DS does get fed up with them as this seems to be all he is ever able to get if he eats in a cafe etc.
    Chicken & rice type dishes - yes sort of although both DD & DS say they bored of them.
    Quiche, new potatoes & salad - DD & DS both tolerate the quiche but neither are very keen on new potatoes or salad.
    Bacon & pasta - yes sort of although DS will often ask for bacon, eggs & waffles instead.
    Burgers, chips etc - not really as both DD & DS work at a burger place & eat more than enough burgers & chips there, even for them.
    Meatballs & pasta - no DS is not very keen.
    Sausage, mash & beans - yes sort of although DD doesn't really like mash.

Mmm, I will try asking them again but I know from asking them before they never actually come up with ideas of what they do like. I have told them that when they are older and living in their own houses, I will relish the day they invite me for dinner so that I can arrive at the dinner table ten minutes after they gave said its ready, pick at it like they do before declaring that I'm not very keen and leave half of it!
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 21st Nov 17, 6:53 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Silence101
    What happens when they don’t fancy eating what you’ made? Do they eat something else? I think maybe they should be responsible for coming up with meals if they are that fussy. Then at least it’s their responsibility whether or not they like the food. Maybe you need to sit them down and explain that the food spend is ridiculous and that you need to find ways of cutting it down.
    Maybe set them a challenge of coming up with a meal plan for a whole week and keep it under £100?
    You could use a comparison website to try and get the best deals? And online shopping does help with avoiding impulse buys.

And I’ve noticed your clothes shopping, could you try and not buy any for 2/3 months?
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 21st Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Hello

I've enjoyed catching up on your diary and can completely relate to the trials and tribulations of feeding a family that have issues with food. Two out of my four were just plain fussy! One wouldn't eat anything wet and the other anything with veg or even a trace of onion. As they've got older it has got easier. I've also got to the point where I am not so hard on myself anymore, but have made meals a little more flexible e.g. when I do meatballs with pasta and cheese I keep three meatballs aside for the one who won't eat tomato based sauces and open up a can of tuna for the other (I make them their packed lunch the night before so the tuna gets utilised that way). Some would say that I shouldn't pander to their demands. However, meal times with the older two became a battleground and has, in my opinion, lead to some of the fussiness. Whereas the younger two have been pretty chilled out with food will eat a wide range of things pretty much.

I second what Silence was saying earlier. Having spoken to my DS1's GF this weekend she was saying she did an online shop to prevent my darling DS putting loads of extra bits in the trolley and manage their first few weeks of independence. She found it cheaper than the previous week. I was telling her how overwhelming I now find going into a large supermarket. It's like over stimulation with all these different versions of products and prices trying to find the best value deals and it takes three times longer than going into my local Aldi as I am forced to walk so much further. By the time I come out of Mr T my head is spinning usually. So I try to avoid it all costs and only go in to look for something specific or ys bargains.
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 21st Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Why not do a daily reconciliation of your main bank account ?

Excel or pen and paper.

List all monthly bills and annotate a month before they are due for renewal. (allows time to renegotiate and investigate better deals)

Identify all annual (car insurance etc), 1/2 yearly (Oil fuel etc) and 1/4ly bills. Produce a cash flow to identify what monthly accrual you need to account for to pay these off when due, then add this into your bank reconciliation.

Daily calculate new reconciled balance as a result of what you have spent (don't forget, switch, CC, Pay @ pump, all cheques, contactless etc) This will sow what has been spent and ensure you do not go into OD. Allows you to plan better (savings, holidays etc).

Once the statements arrive check off everything and continue for the subsequent months.

Have a monthly 'pow wow' to beat long term and medium strategies and put these into financial terms and then act upon the results (start high interest bank account, do a regular savings account, get kids into work to start saving for Uni, start own SIPP etc etc )
    Originally posted by enjoyyourshoes
    One thing that helped us when we had to keep food costs down was to meal plan for a whole month. I wrote down 30 meals that I knew we enjoyed /were easy to cook. The kids could help with the list.
    Then I divided the meals into 4 weeks, and wrote all the ingredients down needed for each recipe. But it was in a table format so a column per meal, and each row was a specific ingredient (for example 3 meals needed potatoes, 2 needed onions etc) and then I collated each week in a list. It made it much easier to cross reference what we already had and how much we needed to buy.
    So I had 4 master shopping lists, and we kept following them for about 6 months, just alternating which weekly meals we were eating. It takes a while to set up, but it act saves a lot of time in the long run, as it could last 6 month or so, and it saved us lots of money.
    The hardest bit was coming up with the meals but your children are older so they could be responsible for a week each or something.
    Originally posted by Silence101
    Enjoyyourshoes - I have to confess I had to read your comments twice & it still blew my mind a bit!
    I find it so difficult to do anything like what you have suggested partly because there seems to be so many outgoing and partly because some of the incomings are weekly and some of the monthly ones come in on different days every month.
    Originally posted by Maiden Mum
    Re food - rather than try to think what you WILL have, why not just write down what you DO have? In a week you will have a weeks menus. In a month you will have a months worth. Then you can get a bit more organised. I know growing up in my house it tended to be the same and although some were more tasty to individual tastes than others I'm sure we each had different favourites. We ate what was given cos there was no alternative offered. That's because there was no money to offer alternatives not because mum and dad didn't love us! Lol. Stew, fish fingers, mince, roast chicken, boiled ham and chips, that's my memories but I'm sure we must have had more than that ? Even with chicken Sunday and Monday that leaves a night with no food?? Lol, will have to ask mum see if she remembers.

Re the money. I'm not sure I understand how you find it difficult when things come in and out the bank account on different days? Everyone has this as far as I know?? Oh hold on, I wonder if you are trying to run everything through just one bank account? If so can I offer another solution ? The account you get wages and other payments into should (imho) be allowed to run and build up monies ready for the annual, quarterly and monthly 'bills'. It should also (again imho) fund an account where you buy your 'variable' stuff from ie food, petrol etc. (In our case we fund that account weekly but you may prefer to do it at a different rate. I just find it too hard to work on a monthly basis, a week is long enough to budget.)

That way you can start to build up the 12ths of annual bills and towards Xmas etc without thinking you can spend the ongoing balance or try to remember what is still due to come out cos you know it's not 'available' money but is earmarked for a task.

If that's not what the problem is please reel free to share, the collective wisdom on here can often offer a solution as so many people are likely to have had the same and generally you will get a couple of suggestions and hopefully one will strike a chord

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 22nd Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Thanks for all your replies.

I have asked DS & DD tonight to write down 5 meals that they would like me to make as family meals but so far nothing received from either of them. I do actually have my doubts that they have 5 meals that they actually like without me then trying to make family meals based on them! Silence101 would you mind giving me some examples of your family meals? I think I really need some inspiration! In some ways I don't pander to them (other than the need for gluten-free obviously for my DS) & do often serve us all the same thing but they then often leave a lot of it and will end up snacking on rubbish late in the evening. They say "but you know I don't like such and such". Tonight they both had waffles, scrambled eggs and beans & OH just had some nice home made bacon & lentil soup (which I got off someone on the November grocery challenge on the Old style Board) and bread because I was so fed up with cooking, cooking , cooking!

daisy 1571 - yes I do try to do it all out one account! I do have two other current accounts with my bank plus a savings account but I'm not sure if I have debit cards for the 2 other current accounts & if I do, I certainly don't know the pins for them. I'm now wondering though whether I could do it the other way round somehow, i.e. put the money into the other accounts but transfer it back into my main account for food spends and bills as they come along?

Jellibeanz - do you also have some meal ideas you could pass on?
    I shop in a variety of shops but like you I generally prefer the likes of Aldi but there are some things that I prefer and have to get from the big four, e.g . ham & DS's cereal from Asda (my local one which isn't huge) , dog food, gluten-free bread, biscuits and pizzas from Tesco's or Sainsburys and toilet rolls (Nicky brand) from Home Bargains and chicken breasts, mince and kitchen rolls bought in bulk from Makro.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 22nd Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Programme I watched tonight (taped from earlier in the week) had a nice looking recipe for meatballs made with mince, grated carrot white onion and courgette baked in a white sauce with mashed potatoes made with potato and cauliflower. The whole family ate that and enjoyed it and she had a husband who never ate any veg at all and 4 children who all had a variety of likes and dislikes. Even when she made lasagne she had to leave a bit with no grated cheese cos 1 son didn't eat melted cheese (although he said he liked melted cheese on pizza) and she had to make a separate one for her husband as he "couldn't eat anything with tomato sauce". So she made his with a can of baked beans. And there was me thinking they had a tomato sauce lol. Jeez, go figure. Anyway have a look at the website, they said recipes would be on both itv.com or stv.com I think. It was one of those eat better save money type progs and may give you some inspiration.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 23rd Nov 17, 7:27 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Silence101
    These are the meals we had initially.
    Week 1
    Lasagna, risotto, lamb stew, sausage and mash, fish cakes, Spanish omelette, roast chicken.
    Week 2
    Bolognaise, curry, chicken catalan, pork and apricot, salmon stir fry, lentil stew, roast beef.
    Week 3
    Meatloaf, stuffed peppers, tomato soup and cheese toastie, beef and ale pie, salad niçoise, homemade pizza, duck roast
    Week 4
    Shepherds pie, hot dog and noodles, beef stew, chicken and chorizo, fish and chips, savoury stuffed pancakes, fry up

Some would have to be adjusted for gluten free stuff, and I’ve got the list of ingredients if you want them for any of the dishes.
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 23rd Nov 17, 7:31 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Thank you Daisy. I'll have an ask around to see if anyone knows the name of the programme to have a look.
    Well my daughter has come up 7 meals that she likes. These are:
    Fish pie
    Noodles in a sweet chilli sauce
    Steak
    Lasagne
    Enchiladas -we've only had these once at home due to g/free issies
    Jacket potato
    Sunday dinner - I presume she means roast chicken as she doesn't like pork or lamb.

In some proper money saving Mortgage-free wannabe news I made a payment of £200 to the mortgage this morning! This was because there is not too much time left until the end of the month and there was some money left in the bank account. I would like to pay this amount every month.
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 23rd Nov 17, 7:56 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Silence101
    Well done on the OP! And a great start from your daughter with meal suggestions!
    • VDOT47
    • By VDOT47 23rd Nov 17, 9:56 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    VDOT47
    Hi Maiden Mum - I have to eat gluten free, so can relate to the fact that if you buy the specifically GF branded products it does mount the cost up. We do buy GF cereal, bread, pasta and biscuits but try to make everything else from naturally non-gluten containing ingredients.

We also meal plan each week and do our shopping online (click and collect) so that it is more difficult to be tempted by impulse buys.

We always bulk cook too, so that our freezer has at least 4 or 5 meals in it at any given time.

Meals that we make that are either naturally GF, or can be easily adapted, are:
    Bolognaise
    Sweet & Sour Chicken
    Mexican Chicken (can then be used with rice, in fajitas/enchiladas using GF wraps etc)
    Chicken Curry
    Chicken & Leek Stroganoff
    Paprika Chicken ....................... we eat a lot of chicken, can you tell!
    Burgers (check they are GF, but you don't have to buy them from the GF frozen aisle, most supermarkets have one brand which is naturally GF, same with sausages)
    Sausage & mash
    Mediterranean veg & chicken on a GF puff pastry (shop bought) base
    Mushroom risotto
    Chicken & chorizo paella
    Roast Chicken/beef
    Meatballs & pasta/rice
    Chicken pesto pasta

As you can see, we eat quite a lot of rice and pasta dishes, which we find relatively cheap to make.

Hope that gives you some ideas, and good luck with the moneysaving/overpaying!
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 23rd Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Like you I sometimes like to buy in bulk from a a warehouse type store. I have a tendency to pick up boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts. I think last week we spent £14 on a pack of 35. I break this down into 5 meals at least by sharing two for me and OH and one for each DS. And usually there is at least meals worth that end up in the freezer for a later date.
    I use them as the base to several meals by combining them with different ingredients. The key things I usually add are: stock, creme fraiche, leeks or onions, and season all if I don't have any celery. The meal starts on the hob and gets popped in the over if I want half hour to myself before dishing up.
    For example in the past two weeks they have been turned into
    - honey and mustard chicken (just add a teaspoon of each)
    - chicken and bacon (add some chopped bacon, gammon, I chop up cooking bacon from Mr T at 60p a pack and don't need much the rest goes in the freezer)
    - Spanish chicken (no creme fraiche for this one, but use passata and Mediterranean veg)
    - chicken curry (just add curry powder, sometimes I put in apples to use them up too (creme fraiche optional))
    - chicken in white wine sauce (just add a glug of wine)
    Because the kids don't like mushrooms I cook them seperately and add them after dishing up theirs. I also chuck in what ever is to hand to bulk it out a little e.g. carrots, runner beans, peppers. Serve up with pasta, jacket potatoes, rice

Otherwise we also have:
    Roast (if it's chicken I get one that is a little larger than we need and cook up the carcas in the slow cooker for stock and it use it to make chicken noodle soup (chines five spice, noodles, left over veg and chicken)
    Gammon joint in the slow cooker (again a bigger one and use the remanants for sandwiches, omlettes and salads)
    Mince - meatballs with either gravy, pasta sauce (I refuse to buy jars so use passata and herbs and any veg depending on who is eating it), shepherds pie, lasagna (I've tried using leeks instead of pasta sheets in this recently the kids didn't approve, but MrJ and I didn't mind). I have a tendency to cook up a batch of the mince and freeze it with the plan of adding mash later. Any left over meat and veg is used to make an Italian soup.
    Beef chunks or brisket if it's on offer - again in the slow cooker before I go to work with stock, herbs, veg and a couple of spuds finely chopped to thicken it. I fish out the beef and avoid the veg for one. The two youngest don't like casseroled veg. However, the other day I blitzed it with the hand blender and turned it all except the meat into a gravy - the kids loved it
    Fish - some gets kept and used with new potatoes or in a salad. The rest is often used for a fish pie or fish cakes
    Veg - often gets turned into a soup, especially if it's going bendy. That's become our regular Saturday lunch with some part baked bread. Although the kids prefer canned soup.

And I'm a sucker for sweet potatoes as they don't need any butter or oil so the kids can occasionally have chips/wedges and we'll have those instead.

I did see on the OS money thread someone said they bake up to 25 potatoes in one hit and then use them over the next few days for a range of meals.

Congrats on the OP xx
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter