Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karinski
    • By karinski 2nd Jan 17, 3:13 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 3,056Thanks
    karinski
    Letter from Wescot re TSB account
    • 2nd Jan 17, 3:13 PM
    Letter from Wescot re TSB account 2nd Jan 17 at 3:13 PM
    Hello

Quick bit of advice please.

I received a letter from Wescott re a balance owed of 206.52 on a TSB account. I've spoken to them a few times and this turns out to be a balance on an account I wasn't even aware I still had open (not used since 2001ish) and they had an old address for me so any letters had been going there etc. So my fault, but annoying!

I can pay the money now but wondered if I have any come back on them having 'defaulted' my account and also if I can just pay TSB directly rather than Wescot?

Thanks!
    T
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 2nd Jan 17, 3:20 PM
    • 35,304 Posts
    • 45,428 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 2nd Jan 17, 3:20 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 3:20 PM
    You sayou above its your own fault so no, you have no comeback.

How long has it been since you last paid anything. I am thinking statute barred
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 2nd Jan 17, 3:22 PM
    • 35,304 Posts
    • 45,428 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 2nd Jan 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 3:22 PM
    If it's 15 years, send them a statute barred letter
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 2nd Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 2nd Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    If you have made no payments etc towards this account for 6 years (5 in Scotland) then it should be statute barred.
    Any default should have long since dropped off your credit files if you defaulted in 2001. If you are saying there is a new default on your files then let us know when it was placed and if it was for this account then it can be removed as it should have defaulted a loooong time ago.

Definitely send Westcott the "statute barred" letter - they are renowned for buying old debts like this for pennies to the pound and will do anything including guilting you into paying it. The original debtor has long since written this off and sold your debt - don't pay the scum at Westcott a penny
    DFW Nerd #025
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 2nd Jan 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10,580 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 2nd Jan 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 5:49 PM
    Wescot don't actually buy debts anymore, they only act for clients.

TSB, likely still own it.

Just seems strange waiting all these years to resurrect a small debt of 200 plus quid ?

Unless they are acting for a new owner, does the letter state it's still owned by TSB ?
    Last edited by sourcrates; 02-01-2017 at 5:51 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 2nd Jan 17, 6:18 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 2nd Jan 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 6:18 PM

Just seems strange waiting all these years to resurrect a small debt of 200 plus quid ?
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    It does seem an extraordinary long shot for a small debt...
    DFW Nerd #025
    • karinski
    • By karinski 19th Jan 17, 10:52 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    karinski
    • 19th Jan 17, 10:52 PM
    • 19th Jan 17, 10:52 PM
    Sorry for huge delay replying.

If you have made no payments etc towards this account for 6 years (5 in Scotland) then it should be statute barred.
    Originally posted by MrsTinks
    Yup I can't even remember the last time I used the account, but it's 100% longer than 6 years ago.

Any default should have long since dropped off your credit files if you defaulted in 2001. If you are saying there is a new default on your files then let us know when it was placed and if it was for this account then it can be removed as it should have defaulted a loooong time ago.
    Originally posted by MrsTinks
    They said

Please be aware that this bank account was originally opened 10th July 1997. This account was defaulted 14th November 2016 with a current balance of 206.52.

Unless they are acting for a new owner, does the letter state it's still owned by TSB ?
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Yes it says acting on behalf of TSB.

What do you reckon? Thanks!
    Last edited by karinski; 19-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Jan 17, 12:04 AM
    • 10,580 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 20th Jan 17, 12:04 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 12:04 AM
    Sorry for huge delay replying.

Yup I can't even remember the last time I used the account, but it's 100% longer than 6 years ago.

They said

Please be aware that this bank account was originally opened 10th July 1997. This account was defaulted 14th November 2016 with a current balance of 206.52.
    Yes it says acting on behalf of TSB.

What do you reckon? Thanks!
    Originally posted by karinski
    The default date is irrelivant.

It's the cause of action date that's important, the date you last paid anything to this account.

As you say it's likely to of been more than 6 years, you need to send the statute barred letter to them.

Info and template letter here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/time-limits-for-recovering-debts/statute-barred-debt.aspx
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • karinski
    • By karinski 20th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    karinski
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I just received a letter from Westcot saying TSB have withdrawn the claim.

Couple of things to check
    1. Does this mean that my TSB account balance will now be 0? I will just go and close the account if so!

2. Will this mean any default on my credit rating will be removed or is that something else to sort

Thanks so much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,309Users online

Martin's Twitter