Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Planning ahead
    • By Planning ahead 1st Jan 17, 4:52 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 549Thanks
    Planning ahead
    Simplifying household stock and introducing routines
    • 1st Jan 17, 4:52 PM
    Simplifying household stock and introducing routines 1st Jan 17 at 4:52 PM
    I am looking at simplifying food I have at home. I get annoyed when 4 boxes of cereal are open. I believed that if I stocked up it would save money when in reality more boxes are opened.

Same with Jams and marmalade if I have 5 types they will all be open. I plan to simplify have one in the house - result it getting finished before going off, getting pushed to the back and another jar opened.

I noticed the same with biscuits get three different types of Club and everyone wants one of each, if they are all the same only one is eaten at a time. I am not saying this will be the same forever but change after a few months.

Shampoo and conditioner - my family will start new bottles because its new and different. Consistently buy one type and this problem is solved. I have been sucked into buying different ones because they are 'on offer'.

I am beginning to think that because there is so much choice we are consuming more than we need to.
    :£120,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
    Debt free date October 2017 for CC/loans Earliest retirement date May 2023
Page 7
    • Planning ahead
    • By Planning ahead 22nd Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Planning ahead
    I have got rid of my spaghetti, only pasta shells from now on.
    Discovered jasmine rice so now have two types of rice.
    Only one cereal at a time.
    only one type of biscuit at a time.
    Chilled water in a jug in the fridge at all times so reduced bottled water.
    Moved to coconut oil for moisturiser. donated all body and foot lotions bar one of each.
    My hair straighteners broken I have not replaced them, 30 secs more with the hairdryer.
    I only buy food if it is on a meal plan, no more over stocking
    :£120,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
    Debt free date October 2017 for CC/loans Earliest retirement date May 2023
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 15,403 Posts
    • 125,491 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am using up as much as I can and have only been food shopping once so far this month I was due to go this morning but decided after looking at what I have indoors I can manage for at least another few days .We have a new Aldi's opening this Thursday locally so I will hang on until then.Saves me a 12 mile round trip as well I only have rich tea biscuits in stock now and I don't eat them very often so better for my waistline If I had ginger nuts it would be a couple with a cuppa a couple of times a day Stopped snacking between meals as well which is handy, I have used up the last of the marmalade which I had in stock mixed with a bit of brown sugar to fill an bramley apple which I baked in my Remoska .I had it left over from our holidays in August and my DD said take it home and use it up mum .I don't eat bread at all and wasn't keen on putting it on crackers , so its now gone . I have some grape jelly that Dd gave me which I shall use up mixed into plain yogurt(think mueller corner ) and some crushed up cornflakes .At the moment I have bran flakes and cornflakes in stock but the cornflakes are also left over from the holidays so they will get used up first.Cupboards are starting to look a bit freer of stuff but its a work in progress at the moment .I'm not buying anything to freeze at all as I want to run the freezer down and get it defrosted hopefully before Christmas
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 23rd Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    tori.k
    This is something we are also working towards, we are in the process of downsizing and as much as we already live quite minimalist the new house is a third the size of our current home and will soon feel cramped and cluttered. As much as we started to reduce our choices now most of the kids have left home, we do tend to bulk buy for cost and time savings, so are getting inventive with storage like can racks, I've been running a very simple seasonal meal plan and try to tweak meals using the same ingredients in slightly different ways eg, a veg chilli first week becomes the filling in a cottage type pie the next so that it doesn't become to repetitive. It's lower cost and minimal hassle, in the household I use unscented products so we all use the same shampoo, shower gel rather than half a dozen different bottles, same with cleaning just washing up liquid, bleach and cream cleaner and washing powder. Being able to bulk buy fewer items is fantastic even tho I work 20 miles from home my route doesn't take me anywhere near any shops so for me to stop at a supermarket puts up to an hour on my commute I'm gaining so much time back from simplifying my routine.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 1st Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 3,970 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I'm planning on doing this I've been trying to run down things over the last few months and don't mind stocking up on something if a) it gets used regularly and b) it's a good price but other than that it's just a waste. For example I bought 4 boxes of powdered Heinz vegetables soup for 25p each as my kids love the tinned version which I normally get 2 for £1 in the £ shop and I think this was seemingly better value but they taste watery and pants! They have a good date on so I may food bank them!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 2nd Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 14,038 Posts
    • 130,792 Thanks
    mardatha
    Tink, only ever stash what you know you will use. Dried veg is better than dried soup mix. Also stash multi purpose foods like dried fruit and porridge. Fruit can be used for baking or puddings, and the porridge for breakfast/flapjacks/thickening stews etc.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    tori.k
    You could also try using them as replacement stock in a stew or casserole, to get them used tinks, we do the same a mardatha on only over stock regular use items tea, coffee sugar beans and non perishable items, we used to much when we stocked more ready to use or junk food items and I end up back in a supermarket doing top up shops that blew my budget. Over the spring and summer I had a local meat& veg food box delivered, saved me a fortune in money as well as time so are attempting to keep to that ethos with filling a box of veg at the greengrocer wholesalers and weekly fresh items and do a monthly click and collect for pantry staples as required, with keeping meals simple and preparing ingredients in bulk before hand, I've got this down to a few hours a week where as I used to spend that time just shopping alone.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 2nd Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 14,038 Posts
    • 130,792 Thanks
    mardatha
    I have a stored shopping list in Sainsbugs online and just add to it a few odds and ends that I need that week. The rest builds up gradually and I've always got a few of everything in. Well, until I find I havent. LOL!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 3rd Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    MandM90
    We're quite lean in terms of what we keep in the kitchen. One type of rice (basmati); bananas + one in-season fruit (more if it's free from garden); don't buy biscuits, crisps or sweets; only buy spaghetti as we like it better than other shapes and it comes in value packs. In fact I pretty much buy the same staples every week. We are vegan and try to stick to simple 'whole' foods and in season fruits/veggies, ringing the changes with spices and herbs from the garden.

It sounds boring but in reality we're all so used to it we don't miss it. The simple meals are often the best. Breakfast on Saturday was homegrown roasted tomatoes with thyme, on homemade toasted bread. Glorious. And things don't go to waste! When I go to my in laws there are usually 20 types of posh cheeses in one(!) of their fridges, half of which will be thrown out. It makes me sad.

I used to 'hoard' food but then found I was in an endless cycle of buying up, then using up, and feeling pressured to finish a million tins of stuff just put me off whatever we were eating. I also really like the minimalist aesthetic and enjoy a clear kitchen - easy to clean, and know exactly what I have and need. The only think we buy in bulk are grains (rice, cous cous), spices and lentils/beans. I always know I have the ingredients for lentil curry/bean chillis/soups in, but don't feel the need to bulk buy anything perishable.

In terms of wardrobe I've done Project333, which is a minimalist clothing project and means I only have 33 items (incl coats, shoes, accessories) for each three months of the year. I don't have a huge wardrobe anyway, but it meant boxing up the rest. Now all my clothes go together, and everything has ample space to breathe in the closet It's great! In three months I'll choose a new theme (going 'shopping' from the clothes boxed up in the loft) and box everything up. Anything that doesn't get chosen for the next three/four seasons will be sold or donated. I keep getting complimented on my outfits, too!

One area we recently simplified was toiletries. I didn't realise how many spares we had (loads are shampoos and conditioners our in laws didn't want any more!) so I've taken inventory, boxed everything we don't *need* up in the cupboard, and will only delve in there when something runs out in the bathroom. Now we only have one of each thing, and I'm also making an effort to use all of the lovely things I have (bubble baths gifted from friends, nail polishes) - feeling more glam and looking forward to what I pull out when current ones are finished

Wow that was a waffle and a half! Sorry!
    Last edited by MandM90; 03-10-2017 at 2:14 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 14,038 Posts
    • 130,792 Thanks
    mardatha
    No not waffle - just sounds nice and simple, tidy and organised.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin