Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    • 882Posts
    • 4,490Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    New Journey
    • 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    New Journey 1st Jan 17 at 3:04 PM
    I have been hanging around the diaries for around a month , decided to subscribe a get rid of the debt once and for all. I had a dmp which ended 3 years ago but owing to a drop in salary have managed to get myself in around 5 k debt again. Once I have Jan statements for credit card will be able to tell true figures.

I have signed up for swag bucks today and done a couple of surveys. Need to do SOA , but not sure how much to put in categories like household repairs for one .

Any help filling it in gratefully received.
Page 38
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Nov 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 6,504 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope youíre feeling back to normal Cumbria.

Good news on the phone!. Iím like SA with the outdated iPhone - mine is a 6!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mines a 5
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 25th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    The one I have now is a 6 but certainly not taking on a contract for loads of money. £20 was my limit and I ended up with the phone I wanted.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good phone deal. Well done
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 25th Nov 17, 11:19 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Cumbrian

The iPad is rather nice to look forward to. And the phone is definitely a good deal.

I am a bit of a Mardy miss when it comes to black Friday etc. I prefer to celebrate Buy Nothing Day which is always Black Friday.

We even braved Asda today which shocked my partner as he couldn't believe the increase in prices. I've been out three times this week which has encouraged me, next week will be more. I did suffer for the afternoon though but I did it.

If yourstomach doesn't feel quite right I would get it checked out now before the holiday chaos. I suffer from IBS and bile acid malabsorbtion. I drink a wallpaper paste powder drink each day which does help some. I've found it is the cumulative effects of additives plus not sticking to a low FODMAP diet that seems to make my problems worse. The FODMAP diet is well worth a look. I need to follow the rules more strictly though.

Enjoy Sunday, Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Pauline thank you for reminding me about the FODMAP diet, I think I may follow it for a few weeks. The only problem I have is I love fruit bit its on the red list my favourite and yoghurt I love as well.

Will see how I go on , but I follow a gluten free diet have done for the past 8 years and that has helped enormously, I agree about additives.

You have been very busy this week three times out , with more to come. I prefer going out in the morning as well . Keep it up .

Thank you as ever for dropping in .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Busy day , shopping £17.52 &£4.40 Petrol £33.99

Yesterday waxing £11 Hair £20

Still keeping an eye on the spends , lots more things to pay for before next payday.

Today out food shopping , prices seem to be climbing at a ridiculous speed , hope things slow down.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Need to do a new SOA a couple of things have changed. Plus I am thinking of having a very frugal Jan, Feb to see if I can make a bigger payment these two months.

Can't believe the weekend is gone again. Next week I am really busy and have friends staying next weekend.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Nov 17, 9:01 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe in Jan/Feb you will have council tax free months to help?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Need to do a new SOA a couple of things have changed. Plus I am thinking of having a very frugal Jan, Feb to see if I can make a bigger payment these two months.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    i'll be doing the same for Dec, Jan and Feb so you won't be alone...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I think I will need a frugal January and February too after our recent gallivanting about the country and Christmas, otherwise we won't be able to pay our bills .

I hope you can work out some foods tbat help your tummy. DH and I suffer from IBS but different types; I need lots of roughage and he can't eat too much.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £181.63
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Good choice on the contract, I was going to buy outright but like you did the maths and it was cheaper, even before the cashback,
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Nov 17, 1:11 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    CL I LOVE my SE - such a great phone with all the advantages of the 6S without the larger size - just suits me down to the ground. Good maths done there too - I did precisely the opposite when I got mine - switched to SIM only and bought the phone outright as there were no decent contract deals at the time!

Hope your stomach sorts itself out, but it sounds like a good idea to have a chat with the GP - might be that the Gluten free thing needs a tweak to exclude something else but only getting tests for allergens again will tell you. Pal of mine was having some horrible problems with her skin and was so glad she got allergy tested as it turned up all sorts of things that she'd never have thought of, she's so much better now!

You mentioned paying for waxing - have you thought of investing in an epilator? They are incredibly good, mine has certainly paid for itself many times over.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    EE have just been setting up my SE , which is like a military operation as always afraid of doing it wrong. Suffice to say it's all set up and working. Everything has come over so happy with that. Did feel a bit guilty getting into a contract again but seemed a good deal.

Will be selling old phone , hoping to get at least £150. iPad is at parents for Christmas.

I will feel better speaking to doctor next week, I am managing ok with it at the moment but doesn't feel quite right. Things are a bit stressful at the minute , nothing dire just lots of balls to juggle , but next week it should calm down ,

I think you have read my mind as well EE , been looking at epilators , but they look like torture . Will do research and see if I get any money for Xmas or birthday.

NSD today , which after the day I have had is amazing.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad you feel better. I am also GF but if I eat too many processed foods I suffer. I haven't worked out what in them makes me feel rubbish but going back to basics food wise and eating unprocessed whole foods gets me on track. I can eat a little dairy but sometimes I tip it too far and that affects me too. How does dairy affect you? It is often a culprit...

Maybe stress is affecting your digestion too. It does mine.

I hope you get it sorted

Have a good day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 29th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    EE have just been setting up my SE , which is like a military operation as always afraid of doing it wrong. Suffice to say it's all set up and working. Everything has come over so happy with that. Did feel a bit guilty getting into a contract again but seemed a good deal.

Will be selling old phone , hoping to get at least £150. iPad is at parents for Christmas.

I will feel better speaking to doctor next week, I am managing ok with it at the moment but doesn't feel quite right. Things are a bit stressful at the minute , nothing dire just lots of balls to juggle , but next week it should calm down ,

I think you have read my mind as well EE , been looking at epilators , but they look like torture . Will do research and see if I get any money for Xmas or birthday.

NSD today , which after the day I have had is amazing.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    re the old phone check it but i think mazuma and music magpie are on topcashback a bit extra money ontop of the phone sale lol "Every little helps"
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.28 Survey Earnings YTD £552.88
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've got an epilator. Its painful but not unbearable - like waxing really.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 29th Nov 17, 4:05 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I find as long as I epilate regularly I get used to it - it's when you get complacent because it's winter and trousers/thick tights season and then suddenly realise you've let them go several months that it's a bit eeky! I do only do legs although I know you can use them for armpits and elsewhere as well - definitely "nowhere north of the border" is my watchword though! Mine is a Brau SilkEpil.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • fay66
    • By fay66 29th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    fay66
    Im going the hairy look lol
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 48,977 Posts
    • 181,643 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hairy winter look here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter