Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    • 816Posts
    • 3,688Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    New Journey
    • 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    New Journey 1st Jan 17 at 3:04 PM
    I have been hanging around the diaries for around a month , decided to subscribe a get rid of the debt once and for all. I had a dmp which ended 3 years ago but owing to a drop in salary have managed to get myself in around 5 k debt again. Once I have Jan statements for credit card will be able to tell true figures.

I have signed up for swag bucks today and done a couple of surveys. Need to do SOA , but not sure how much to put in categories like household repairs for one .

Any help filling it in gratefully received.
Page 3
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Jan 17, 7:23 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Scott-Weil the tip for the nectar card is fab , I have a nectar card , have logged on and updated my details , will now use it . Any more tips received with thanks.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 16th Jan 17, 3:37 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Couple of survey sites too use

try

opinion outpost.co.uk

isay.com

and global test market

re other tips get topcashback.co.uk loaded onto your phone and anything you buy online go through topcashback.co.uk if you can.

Its amazing whats on there argos, just eat, hungry horace , hmv, utility companies, virgin trains etc etc

I took on a sky policy 4 a LF cashback was 130 quid.
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £166.90 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 17, 8:11 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Tomorrow is pay day, I will pay my first payments in my debt free journey. I will be transferring money to emergency fund, Xmas etc fund, holiday fund and everyday fund for shopping , petrol and entertainment. I have already paid for my holiday this year and have spends, this was my present for Xmas from my parents. I am still eating out of the freezer and store cupboard , just need top up with fresh stuff. The meal planning has been so helpful, I always take my lunch so quite disciplined there. I am challenging myself not to buy any clothes until at least Easter, hope I manage it.

Spending diary is at the ready for tomorrow as well. Everyone has been so friendly with all the hints and tips , my surveys are going well, nectar card is ready , registered with top cash back .

Ready for the challenge , bring it on.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 18th Jan 17, 9:50 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Well payday has arrived , have done all my transfers , just need to update signature. Have about £170 left over , may need to tweak my payments to different accounts. Will wait and see how I go on, determined to keep in my budget and clear my debt.

No credit card used this month , it is now cut up dead and buried. I have started my spending diary , first entry tonight haircut £20 , very lucky to have a relative who is a hairdresser, saves a fortune.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 21st Jan 17, 8:15 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    It's amazing how much money you can save on shopping by doing a meal plan and then having a shopping list. I am still eating from my freezer for the third week , will probably get another week out of it. I have tweaked my budget , I forgot to give myself any spends., not that I will be spending much as trying to save another £100 for more holiday spends. My holiday is all paid for just need more spends and taxi to airport money.
    Have started using my spending diary , can already see how useful it is.

Another question if people have money left at the end of the pay month , do they save it or pay of debts ?

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jan 17, 7:49 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I have decided to split any money I have left at the end of the month between cards and savings. Love all the ups and downs on everyone's diaries , makes you feel you aren't alone in your debt busting challenge.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 22nd Jan 17, 9:45 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Hi Cumbria lass,

Well done so far. Re the leftover money just before payday, I was wondering about this too. My plan is to put it into my contingency fund bank account, and if it's still there after 2 months, pay off a credit card.

I've subscribed
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    That's a great idea , I have an opticians appt in 2 weeks so will put leftover in emergency fund as you suggest and use it for opticians or later to pass to cc debt if any left.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 24th Jan 17, 9:37 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Not much happening this week, no spend days 3 so far, take lunch to work , go to the gym and come home. Friend been to see me , we stayed in and had a chat.

Have 6 things listed on eBay hoping to sell a couple of them. Looking forward to updating my signature in a few days .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Jan 17, 6:42 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Paid for my washing machines yesterday , bought on buy now pay later it feels good knowing it is mine and not bought on credit card.

Bit of a dilemma now my friend wants to treat me to a weekend away , she has a voucher for a free nights accommodation, we have to pay for breakfast . I have a credit on a cc which we received for delayed train journey that will pay for this. The dilemma is this friend likes to spend money like water , she will be spending spending spending. I just hope I don't cave in and spend as well. I will have to pay for lunch and coffee stops. This I have budgeted for , maybe leave all cards at home and just have cash.

5 NSD so all good , have had 10p in my purse all week lol . Have been doing my surveys on one poll and am up to £8.00 now. Which sites pay out in smaller amounts ?

Off to get ready for work.

• stoplurking
    • By stoplurking 26th Jan 17, 7:35 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    stoplurking
    Hi Cumbria lass

I've just read through your diary and you are doing great. You sound really determined to beat that debt and I'm sure you will.

Re your dilemma, I find if I make up my mind in advance as to whether I need anything or not that helps with the random shopping/spending.

Eg I might decide I need a small thing like a lipstick, so I don't find myself spending lots on,say, clothes, because I'm only looking at lipsticks. It helps me anyway. And if your friend is buying lots you can be her personal style adviser for the day, knowing you just need lipstick. Plus it's not Easter yet and you're not buying any new clothes till Easter, right?

If it's a spa-type break decide in advance whether or not you want any treatments so you are not tempted by the whole range on offer when you get there. Have a great time!
    LBM Oct12 Debts at LBM £17715.93.
    Orig DFD Apr15 DFD 24/12/13
    3-6monthEFC#9 £1193/4000 29.8%
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 27th Jan 17, 6:43 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Thank you stoplurking for having a read of my ramblings. You are quite right no clothes till Easter , probably beyond that when I see how full my wardrobes are. Plus I will take on board the idea of the lipstick.

Lunch taken in all week to work, meal planning stuck to , so all good in Cumbria lass land.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Jan 17, 8:58 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Grandchild coming today could be a speedy day we will see. It's raining so indoor activity, think we will bake biscuits He loves all the stirring etc. Staying overnight with me as well , hoping to get.
    1. All housework done.
    2. Menu planner for next week.
    3. Shopping list for trip to Aldi .
    4. Lots of admin to do this weekend.
    5. Ironing to be done .
    6. Get eBay parcels ready to go.

Best get moving then.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 28th Jan 17, 9:41 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Have a lovely day with your grandson.

On the buy-now-pay-later, I like that if its interest-free and I can pay it back in instalments.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Jan 17, 9:57 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Grandson and I enjoyed the day and he is snoring away . We did things at home today and took a walk so we didn't spend much just 1.50 on car parking .

Did shopping and spent £19.21 , are there any good meal planning forums on MSE that anyone can direct me to.?

Love reading other diaries , makes me realise how fortunate I am .

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 29th Jan 17, 10:30 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Hi Cumbria Lass, there is loads of stuff on meal planning on the OS part of the board. Post 2 in this thread has loads of links

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5584600
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Jan 17, 12:40 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Boxofpaws thank you so much, I would have been looking forever. Have a good Sunday ��

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 30th Jan 17, 9:45 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Updated signature , paid £150 to credit cards. Hope to add to this nearer pay day with eBay sales and any funds left over .

Have been reading some of the recipes in the thread above, have got lots of ideas for next weeks meal plan.

Spending diary up to date , bought petrol today as the price was cheapest I have seen it in the local area .

Not much else happening .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 31st Jan 17, 8:15 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Another £10 paid off from Quidco , it's very addictive debt busting . I have nearly finished off my eating out of the freezer , to think I have had nearly 4 weeks food plus fresh stuff. This weeks shopiing will probably be nearer to the £30 I have budgeted. I worry that I will spend too much, will have to make sure the shopping list comes with me ! Meal planning at the ready I think .

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 31st Jan 17, 8:23 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Have you thought about online shopping? I'm sure I am saving money by checking everything before I press the magic button
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

774Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter