Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    • 305Posts
    • 655Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    New Journey
    • 1st Jan 17, 3:04 PM
    New Journey 1st Jan 17 at 3:04 PM
    I have been hanging around the diaries for around a month , decided to subscribe a get rid of the debt once and for all. I had a dmp which ended 3 years ago but owing to a drop in salary have managed to get myself in around 5 k debt again. Once I have Jan statements for credit card will be able to tell true figures.

I have signed up for swag bucks today and done a couple of surveys. Need to do SOA , but not sure how much to put in categories like household repairs for one .

Any help filling it in gratefully received.
Page 14
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 14th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Glad that your mum is home, she'll rest better there and you will be able to keep an eye on both of them more easily.

Regarding the onions - I often chop (in the processor) a whole bag of onions then cook them slowly to soften, the divide them into several bags. Its then really easy to defrost them when I need them for anything and saves time and fuel. If I forget to get them out to defrost naturally, they are just fine in the microwave.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Thank you joeyjimbles ! Mum seemed in better spirits this afternoon, she is trying to run before she can walk .

Have checked my credit rating on all three sites today , and my credit score is top notch now since I started paying off my cc's . Now I know credit scores don't mean much , but it makes me feel better knowing they are ok.

No I won't be applying for any credit , only balance transfer card if I don't pay off before 0% ends.
    July 2017 CC1 3769 CC 2 1150 Emergency Fund £1150

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Plus yesterday for evening meal I made pasta , with sausages and cooked peppers in the sauce. Pasta gluten free was 99p a bag , sausages gluten free were £1 only used 4 and peppers were about 69p but I only had 1 left. I made 4 lots of pasta so three for the freezer. Topped with grated cheese it was yummy and dirt cheap.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Tomorrow another visit to friends 150 round trip this time. Lunch out my treat , have £25 for this , am sure it won't be that much.

Mum and dad are having a relative visit tomorrow to help out whilst I am away for the day.

That's it for today.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Jul 17, 7:23 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Up early ready for my journey to friends. Weather a washout.

3 days to payday, really busy month so far. Have £14 for top up shop tomorrow hope it's enough.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Spent £23.25 on lunch not to bad. However petrol warning light on and I have no money in petrol budget left . 3 days to payday . Will have to go into EF for once.

Lovely seeing friends just wished they lived nearer .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Needing the extra petrol money made me think , where is it going to come from , I put , £25 away in a account for breaks away or days out , so it is coming from that.

I have £150 in it have used £50 so another £30 is coming out today . I was panicking last night, and in a past life would have slapped it on a cc , but that brings me out in a cold sweat these days .

Thinking about spending I found the solution which was there all the time.

Happy �� days

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Shopping just £14 well pleased. Mum feeling slightly better . The sun is shining yippee .

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 3,299 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Can I please ask Cumbria when you say that the thought of spending on your credit card makes you feel anxious. Well can I ask how long did it take you to get into that mindset.

I have given mine that was for spending to my dad and the rest are cut in half and I don't know how to spend on them even if I wanted to but I would deeply love to be this restrained and not see credit card as the magic solution to fix everything so quite curious to know how you got to this point.
    Appreciate you are very busy with family and glad your mum is feeling better so don't worry if you don't have time to explain (or don't wish to) but I am curious how other people get to this mindset. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    PSL no problem answering now . I haven't used a credit card since 9th December last year. I feel anxious at the thought of using one because I know now that I can live without them as I am living within my means. I have kept one for genuine emergencies, but can't see me needing it as have over a £1000 in EF . However I still thought of using a credit card first as I forget I have EF and other funds I can use. It probably took 6 months to get into this state of mind . I hope to never use one again , they are a habit you get into and it's hard to get out of.

When I have paid off my debt I will probably keep one to maybe use for holidays for the section 75 clause .

It is hard work , the best thing is never take one out with you.

Since starting this journey I think about things now before I do them , booking tickets etc , if I can't pay on debit card then I don't have it.

Hope this helps .

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 3,299 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    That does help Cumbria. Thank you. I feel like you are saying that you don't want to use it because you know it makes things harder.
    I am trying to teach myself this concept. I want to just have a nice life but feels like this would be a lot easier if I didn't have so much money going to all the payments.

Hopefully I can come over to your way of thinking. Trying hard but do have some way to go.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I think you need to have an incentive as well. Mine is I want to save for 5 years to enable me to retire at 60/61 as I thought I would when I started work . As soon as debt is gone , I know I can achieve this .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    After all the madness of last week, I managed to sit outside this afternoon and read my book . I am having an early night, not that I sleep well but work is very busy at the minute . This is our busiest time of the year and need to be wide awake tomorrow. Back to the gym tomorrow after a week away , looking forward to it.

That's it for today I think.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Officially on leave now for 2 weeks , as need to be on hand to help with mum .

Hoping not to spend money just because I am at home .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Payday yesterday so all pots filled up , they were all spent last month as well , so nothing left for an extra payment on anything. I pay well over the minimum payments already so ok with this.

I did make Cc2 into a round amount by paying an extra 8.26 off , will update signature later.

My budget this month is very tight I have £1.95 left , so need to be mindful of this. I have nothing booked in the way of entertainment at the moment , as still wanting to be available for my mum and dad.
    My mum is making excellent progress , and is now walking with just one crutch.

As I have now reached £1000 EF , am unsure what to do with the £50 I allocate to it, this month I have put it in the account , should I pay it off debt or continue saving.

Have had another £10 gift card of survey site and will use for Xmas presents.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Under the £5000 , and I have enough to pay off the lowest credit card, I feel I want to pay the balance off and get rid of it. Then would be left with no emergency fund and would end up using a cc for emergency.

Any views offered , greatly appreciated .

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Both credit cards are on 0% until late 2019 .

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,688 Posts
    • 6,657 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    As both of the cards are on 0% for a few more years I would not leave yourself with no emergency savings. If I were you I would be tempted to get rid of half of it now leaving half in your savings and then looking at it again once you have built up your savings again.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I think I like knowing the EF is there , so will probably sit tight on the money and just keep adding to it.

• Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 19th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 3,299 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I think if I was you and it was 0% till 2019 I would keep paying what you are paying now. Not use savings to pay off right now and then plan to pay off in the future.

But depends how fast you want it gone.

2018 plans - reduce debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin