Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,257Posts
    • 44,985Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 49
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Have you thought about maybe writing a book?
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Often but I wouldn't know where to begin as all my writing is about my life and my thoughts so not a thriller or a best seller.
    Have wondered about doing a sewing book, but again so many out there!
    I am not sure if I have the imagination for fiction!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 11th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 4,975 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Often but I wouldn't know where to begin as all my writing is about my life and my thoughts so not a thriller or a best seller.
    Originally posted by Mooloo

But Mooloo writing about your life is what people are/will be interested in. You have not had a straightforward life, but you are still plugging away at it. People like to read about others in similar situations to themselves who had just got on with and are actively always trying to make things better. It might not make you millions, but it would sell. There must be Ted talks or the like that talk about how to write and publish your own ebooks. Don't forget Elaine wrote and published some on Amazon about her frugal journeys etc.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,216 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'm going to sound a quiet note of caution here: DH is writing a book which he will self-publish if he can't find a publisher. It's taken a lot of time, and IMO distracted him from other perhaps more urgent / important things.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 11th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 25,041 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    Writing a book (that sells) takes oodles of energy, commitment and talent. You need to understand pace, how to end chapters so that people can't wait to turn the page to find out more. You need to know how to edit your own words into sharp and pacy story. There needs to be a punchy ending too.
    An auto biography of an average unheard of person is not going to pull in the punters unless there is a an unusual hook and / or stunning outcome, to draw people in.
    And then there is the whole issue of the privacy of other members of mooloo's family.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • annandale
    • By annandale 11th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    annandale
    Not really less private than posting on an open forum thats accessible to anyone with a PC.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 11th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    annandale
    What struck me was that knowing that your kids don't always pay you back you are still talking about putting aside money for them.

Please close your purse or you'll lose out in the end. .

Pension payments are more important
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The only one that any money will be there for is DGD. The chances of there being much money after I retire/die is highly unlikely. I just want to survive myself.
    I don't think my kids will expect any inheritance as they know they have had it. Although my will was split between them if there was anything and the life insurance is to pay for my funeral.
    I doubt that I will get very far writing a book until I retire unless I have a complete change of fortune, become organised and motivated.
    Short sewing related articles may be another matter though.
    Don't like the start of the darker morning and evenings. Lights on for me. Blankets out around the sitting room for snuggling later.
    Dgd doesn't want to go to Brownies anymore so I am not impressed with her as we bought a new uniform in July!
    I am off to mutter in the kitchen while I cook tea
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 11th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 25,041 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    Haven't you been here before with DGD and brownies - hopefully she can be persuaded again to go back. I'm sure you got rid of a uniform before only for her to change her mind.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Haven't you been here before with DGD and brownies - hopefully she can be persuaded again to go back. I'm sure you got rid of a uniform before only for her to change her mind.
    Originally posted by Brighton belle
    Last year. I am not prepared to go through it all again!
    Enough is enough.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Sep 17, 6:47 AM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Stayed up quite late because I was plotting and planning to turn my mood around still. Woke 20 minutes ago, while my kettle boiled I have been moving my little bits of money around. Biggest money out was the credit card payment of £200. I managed to pay myself £130 this week so some of that has gone across to the Emergency Fund, and £50 into the holiday Fund. I hope that I don't have to spend any other money today.
    Definitely don't like it being dark when I wake. Lights will be on as much as possible to help with my SAD.
    I sold two sewing patterns on Facebook for a few quid, so I plan to sort out more to offload today. I have decided to start clearing out those that I know I will never use.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Uploaded 27 patterns today and immediately sold 6 today. So that's 8 in less than 24 hours.
    Let's hope for more tomorrow! It has spurred me on to sort out more sewing related stuff.
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 12th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Thats good Mooloo, what was that on? (i'd be interested to see what there is)
    When I wanted to quit guides my mum made me write a letter to the group leader thanking her and giving my reasons for leaving and hand it to her personally, that might deter DGD & keep her going a bit longer, I also think she will change her mind and want to go back again when she realises what she is missing out on, especially all their christmas events they will be doing
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    There is a page called Fabric Buy Sell or swap I came across ages ago but never tried selling on it before. But I will also look for other avenues.
    I will put them on my Mooloo's site if they haven't sold by the end of the week.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Time for bed.
    I will be doing my Mum duties tomorrow after a trip to the post office. After school I have to take DGD to get her glasses sorted out. Unfortunately I have to pay for the frames as I have already had my voucher for the ones I collected today £11.80 had to be paid for those.
    I managed not to buy anything else until this evening when I succumbed to a metre of fabric. Although it is for my Star Pupil to make her next garment on Saturdays. So the price will be passed on to her.
    Night all
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning, I managed to sell 2 more patterns before lights out last night! With fees that has left me with £36.11 in my PayPal account. I will of course have postage to pay out. I expect somewhere around £8, but it will spur me on to sort out more.
    I will test the waters with my pattern books.

I thought about using patterns for making papier-mâch! dress forms for decorating purposes while I was trying to go to sleep!
    Not sure how it would work but I may just have to buy some pva glue or similar and have a go with any of the patterns that are not complete!
    That's a job for Dgd on a weekend when we are home. Or a few minutes each evening. I will bring home one of the mannequins for that.
    I have some special printable fabrics and will possibly try a collage effect for Pattern covers to print, and possibly turn into fabric bags. Or panels for them anyway.
    Feeling inspired!
    Many years ago I made beads out of strips of paper cut from magazines. So that is something else that I can do with some of the magazines I have lurking. It will allow me to keep pages if I want to. Although will need a lot of time spent on this.
    But it can be done sitting in front of the TV!

You will have to have a laugh. I have a commode in the corner of the bedroom from when I was ill, and occasionally Dgd has used it in the night, as she doesn't like the dark.
    Last night was one of those nights where she knocked and dashed in. However I hadn't put the bucket under the seat!! So before I realised she had gone all over the carpet below!! Needless to say she was horrified when she actually woke properly! I was not blessed impressed at 1am but I can see the funny side this morning. So I have the carpet to clean properly this morning!
    Note to self to always keep the bucket under the seat!
    Lamp time.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 13th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,083 Posts
    • 22,496 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Great going on the pattern sales - when people pay by Paypal could you ask them to tick friends and family as then you don't get charged (obviously you cant do this if selling on ebay)

Oh dear to the wee!!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Paypal now £50.96 yeah and one lady wants a patterns on Friday when she gets paid.
    Went shopping with Mum, she needed to move money in the banks, and then the charity shop rummaging followed by lunch at a pub, and then Aldi on the way home.
    • *max*
    • By *max* 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 13,215 Thanks
    *max*
    LOL @ DGD! That reminded me of the time we had a hurricane in Brittany, I was 9, and that night I was so scared, mum let me sleep with her.

In the middle of the night, she saw me get up, squat and wee right in the middle of the carpet then get back into bed...There was never even a commode or anything. I just sleep-weed! haha She said it must have been the fright/anxiety of the hurricane blowing outside that put me out of sorts.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Time to move but just want to stay in bed.
    Cosy.
    But I am going to remind myself that "Too day is going to be Awesome " bit American that word really.
    Today Biggest joins us at the Shop. So lots of discussions will be taking place as she starts to see the way we work, the things that I would appreciate she did, and I am willing to listen to any ideas for a better way of doing things once she has been working with us.
    Hopefully we can find the best working practices for us and start to improve the shop.
    I didn't take any more pictures last night of things to sell, I was too busy looking at run down houses in the middle of Portugal!(:
    That won't make me any money or space will it?
    Time to get Dgd up as she didn't wash her hair yesterday and it really needs doing before school.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9,257 Posts
    • 44,985 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Managed to get Dgd to wash her hair without a huge fuzz. Phew. Got to school just in time, gave one of the Mum's a lift. Biggest arrived just before opening. I didn't get much sewing done though. It took me a long time to get a zip in a Parker coat! I did several fittings and had to pop home for a delivery from dpd at Lunchtime. I also had delivery of 6 sets of shelves that another shop was selling, so we had to move stock etc and shelves from the walls. I wasn't expecting them yet so we weren't ready. So tomorrow Biggest will be busy rearranging things for me.
    I sold another Pattern today, so I have photographed 32 more that I brought home with me and uploaded them to Facebook.
    I will see if I have as much luck with them as the first lot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,757Posts Today

8,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin