Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,070Posts
    • 44,314Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 37
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Bags are just fab.
    What an excellent idea for parties
    Originally posted by beanielou
    The Mum of the birthday girl seemed to enjoy it too and when they noticed the Knickers from a previous course, she is thinking about having a birthday party making Knickers for herself and her friends!
    She said it was the most stress free party ever!, and a bargain price too. So hopefully that will lead to other ones.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Jul 17, 4:34 PM
    • 37,520 Posts
    • 33,835 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    The Mum of the birthday girl seemed to enjoy it too and when they noticed the Knickers from a previous course, she is thinking about having a birthday party making Knickers for herself and her friends!
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Not such good memories for me: we HAD to do needlework for the first three years of secondary school, and then after that produce two garments a year in our own time (boarding school). We started simple, obviously, but one of the last projects covered in lessons was making a bra and pants.

Bear in mind that no stretch fabric was involved, you can well imagine the results!

She said it was the most stress free party ever!, and a bargain price too. So hopefully that will lead to other ones.
    Mooloo, you have GOT to listen to this: I do not think your prices are high enough!

Check out the competition - what are the 'paint a plate' parties charging?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I charge £14 a head at the moment.
    For two hours, and use of the machines etc, although we don't allow food etc due to the possibility of spilling things etc , but it may be worth reconsidering some aspects of it.
    We make either bunting, bags or Cushion covers. With the children.
    The Knickers party would need to be more as made from cotton lawn, elastic and jersey for the gussets. So not using stock scraps or remnants.
    But I am always thinking about the next move.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,230 Thanks
    beanielou
    Even popping price up to 15 would be good.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    yep always round it up be it to the next 5p/10p/50p/£1/£5 depending on magnitude of value.
    as you say worth reconsidering aspects, iyou could always have an hour for them to have some food (brought by the birthday childs parents) after the sewing which would add room hire & you wouldn't need to supervise, just put the machines and any materials away once the making is done.

you could then structure so you have a base price per head then adders for the base project the group are making, extra embellishments on the make, alternative fabric options adder, eating time room hire adder
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I will have to look into this possibility sooner rather than later.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Building your dreams have many ups and downs, but the thrill of believing that you can do anything that you put your mind too, can really feel amazing.
    Talking about the vision, the ideas, and explained what I want to do to others, helps me see the future dreams as clear as day.
    In three years I have changed my world around completely.
    I may not be rolling in money, but I am getting closer to the dream coming true. When I look back at the last few years I am proud of what I have done, and where I see me going.
    #itonlyworks seems to becoming my mantra.
    Visualisation, mind mapping, journaling, and talking about the picture actually is easier than I thought, and what felt impossible a few years ago seems possible now.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,230 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So what amazing things are going to happen today?
    Obviously I don't know yet, but feeling optimistic about the future.
    At work I have a few pairs of trousers to shorten and then the final Cushion covers to reduce in size, and then I am back on track with the work from last week. Hopefully the seamstress will also be in, but I am concerned about her as she has moved further away and needs more money/hours than currently has, and yesterday she was asking about her options etc.
    I was planning to do Staffs jobs myself and work downstairs again but I am having a rethink about that as I am currently considering working with a dress shop in the next town and probably having rooms there to do some work a few days a week. So I am advertising Staffs job at the moment. I have had one CV so far, within minutes of the shout going out.
    I will know more tomorrow.
    This evening my friends are coming around and we are going to have pizza etc again as an early celebration for her birthday on Friday and mine on Saturday. The other friend is just coming along to help us celebrate.
    I better finish my lemon tea and make a move the alarm clock just went off.
    Focus on your dreams and make them happen!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sitting in the doctors! My foot has ballooned because of a insect bite 10 days ago.
    Blood pressure is high too! 146/86. Eek
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Foot elevated, cold compress, (antibiotics prescribed- but will take later)
    Not the amazing day I visualised.
    Oh well.
    Friends will have to help me with the pizza and wine. Looks like I will not be drinking for half my holiday then
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Look after yourself Mooloo xx
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Don't want to wake up this morning!
    We have school award ceremony at 9am then I am going to see that dress shop in the next town. But after that is done I am coming home to rest up! Bf is looking to stay at home because he has his daughter over, with her broken foot, and the baby will be back from the Dad's at some stage today. So I only have Dgd and myself to worry about tonight.
    For the next week I will be on the antibiotics. So I will be taking care of me. I still need to work until Saturday afternoon.
    Our holiday starts Sunday.
    I still need to pack DGDs clothes for her trip to her Mums on Friday.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I am so excited because it looks highly likely that I will be opening up another Alterations room in Towcester based within one of the Boutique Dress shops. Starting a couple of days a week, to start with. Once I have my staff in place in Brackley.
    I will probably be paying a % of the takings rather than paying a rent. So I am going to really think about my costs, staff levels and look at the bottom line.
    My foot is in quite a bad way and I'm sitting at my daughter's with my feet propped up on a stool!
    Dgd got two awards at school today and I have to go back for an exhibition of sculptures at 3pm
    • ognum
    • By ognum 19th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    ognum
    Well I am so excited because it looks highly likely that I will be opening up another Alterations room in Towcester based within one of the Boutique Dress shops. Starting a couple of days a week, to start with. Once I have my staff in place in Brackley.
    I will probably be paying a % of the takings rather than paying a rent. So I am going to really think about my costs, staff levels and look at the bottom line.
    My foot is in quite a bad way and I'm sitting at my daughter's with my feet propped up on a stool!
    Dgd got two awards at school today and I have to go back for an exhibition of sculptures at 3pm
    Mooloo, look after yourself an we'll done on your future satalite sight.

Now for the tough love! Do set you prices so you make money, you cannot afford two shops that fail to pay you a wage, all you will be doing is doubling your problems.

So, do some research, go to up market shops and ask about the cost of alterations and ask the market price not your 'I'm nice and kind 'price

Well done again.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Promise I will be on the financial case!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Jul 17, 7:26 AM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Bf changed his plans and came over in the evening. After trying to sort out our seating on Ryanair ( separated us at either end of the plane!) I suppose he has had to pay more but I was not happy when he said we weren't together. ( I suspect he just didn't want to pay the extra charges- but I could have told him that Ryanair would separate us, it's been on Watchdog a few weeks ago.
    Anyway he has sorted it, and then he went for a run. As I wasn't expecting him I used the last pizza for tea as it was nearly 9 pm
    Started to watch Death in Paradise but wasn't really very brilliant so I came to bed.
    So my foot has been up quite a bit, and the swelling is reduced. But as soon as I put my foot on the floor the pain gets worse.
    I think I will only be at work for a short time today. I have to sort out DGDs clothes today ready for her to go to her Mums tomorrow. So I am thinking that I will attempt to get some clothes sorted before work, then go in, as I think if I leave it till tonight I will be struggling.
    Neighbour's going to take Dgd to school for me, but Dgd is complaining.
    At times she frustrates me so much. She knows I couldn't walk it yesterday and had to have a lift. She can see the state of my leg, but expects me to change my mind because she's throwing a hissy fit.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Other people and your planning don't always mix.
    Messaged seamstress to ask her if she would do any fittings booked in and she said she had started to come to work, wasn't happy because of the rain and she's gone back home!! But after talking to me she has decided that she will go back after all. However that will mean she will be later than opening time, and fittings will be delayed.
    Luckily staff is able to open up and she will go in and try to let people know of the delay.
    The neighbour forgot to take Dgd so I had to throw a dress on and drive her! Owwwww is all I can say. Foot quite painful when using the clutch.
    I have cooked a bag of chicken pieces, when done I will use some today and freeze the rest for later. But I am resting my foot again before I start to pack DGDs clothes. Washing as I go along.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,230 Thanks
    beanielou
    oh dear.
    Not good on the seamstress front nor the DGD front.

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 44,314 Thanks
    Mooloo
    oh dear.
    Not good on the seamstress front nor the DGD front.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Imagine if we have snow!
    I will have to think about that now!
    I slowly sorted through DGDs bedroom and packed her bag ready. Just toys and gadgets to think about.

Problem with DS job. The charges etc for the van hire are more than he earned. They took the van off of him yesterday and won't give him his car back until he pays them £237.
    Biggest is trying to sort him out at the moment. I will have to have her children while she does the commute etc.
    Today is not going to plan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

7,384Users online

Martin's Twitter