Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,061Posts
    • 44,301Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 35
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 5th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 971 Posts
    • 4,236 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    do you have a cash for clothes place near to you, you could try that, you don't get much i bet, but ebaying clothes unless they have designer labels is not a good plan, hard work and not much profit as a rule
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 5th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 21,348 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I know that economics play a big part in whether to keep the business going but I am intrigued to know what difference it will make with the staff member leaving at the end of the month.

I would like to think that there will be no ridiculous jobs coming through the door and no jobs which take 30 hrs and being charged a pittance and of course no attitude from her mindset of her way or the highway. Plus of course it will just be the new seamstress wages and hopefully enough for you to pay yourself a salary.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for July
    NSD - 8/16
    (up to 15/08/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I think I should be able to pay myself the minimum wage by August as you say EE, I will not be paying Staffs wage, which varies from 16-24 plus hours at times.
    I tend to be in the shop around 37 hours a week.
    So her money plus what I pay myself will not be far off £277.50
    My target is to get £350 a week which I can live within.
    The seamstress hours can be reduced if the work slacks off as only promised 10 hours a week and not the 32 currently been doing.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Did the bathroom, kitchen and lounge, put away clean clothes, wrapped up a parcel to go by my Hermes tomorrow. Took the new laptop back and got my money back in the form of a gift card, as I don't have the card it was bought on. ( it's with Mum in France).
    Stopped in at Mum's to leave a bag or two of children's clothes for the kids to divvy out. Dropped my business card in two dress shops while there.
    Been trying to move my savings etc to pay for my teeth, but suddenly couldn't log in to one of my accounts and had a pass the phone around time trying to get it sorted. But I have to wait until it arrives in the post- up to 5 days! I hope not as I usually check my balance everyday!
    The dentist will have to wait a little longer for his money as I need to move it about from savers to current accounts.
    I am shivering even though it is 26 outside. My skin is crawling and my back aches! So something is wrong with me.
    The GP did work on my hands for a while this morning but I think I might try another one now to ease things.
    I didn't get around to starting to sort out the clothes upstairs yet though.
    Distracted by tennis!
    Oh well.
    Something was achieved today at least.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Bf is coming over this evening, I hope he doesn't mind if I have an early night! I have taken some cold and flu tablets and another GP one. I have eaten a chicken stir fry, and Dgd has had hers and is playing out with some new children from school. They are getting older now and going out and about nearby to play. One little boy fell over and she brought him to me to clean and put a plaster on. "My Granny will help you". Echo of bringing up my own children. I was always the go to mum for accidents, upsets and dinner. Suppose that will be the next one on the agenda. Although at the moment there is not a lot of nibbles or pop etc in my cupboards.
    Feeling calmer now I can see my home emerging again. Will be back on track when I can access the money and pay the dentist.
    Tonight though I doubt that I will be doing much else!
    • ognum
    • By ognum 5th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    ognum
    Post above reported but not copied
    • tw1nklestar
    • By tw1nklestar 5th Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    tw1nklestar
    also been reported lets hope M can remove or mods will
    olympic challenge starting 7/1/07
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 46,771 Posts
    • 166,886 Thanks
    beanielou
    Also reported.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 5th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 25,001 Thanks
    Brighton belle

The GP did work on my hands for a while this morning but I think I might try another one now to ease things.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Mooloo, the GP only stays in your system for 4-6 hrs, you need to get in the habit of having more regularly spaced in the day> It is very encouraging that you think it helped this morning - all the more reason to have it more often, twice a day won't be enough.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 5th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Hi Mooloo I've been reading when possible but not posting much .

Gosh you've been busy . It could be worth fitting in an appointment with your doctor on your day off while mum is on holiday .

You have a very exhausting life but I have wondered whether there is an underlying physical issue going on . You sound like myself many years ago was initially thought to be ME but about 10 years ago was confirmed as Fibromyalgia . I'm not a doctor but I think it would be worth chatting to your doctor . Things like chronic fatigue also fit the things you describe . I used to put things down to a busy and stressful life too but actually had an unexpected reason why the struggles were becoming harder to cope with .

Take care of yourself when possible .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Wow, I'd responded to Mooloo's post above before reading yours, but it seems we're both on the same wavelength. I do agree that Mooloo should make an appt to see her GP as soon as possible. My only concern is that Mooloo was taking a lot of medication several years ago but weaned herself off them. If she's diagnosed with one of these conditions then it will mean going back on medication.
    • *max*
    • By *max* 6th Jul 17, 2:27 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    *max*
    I honestly think Mooloo is tired because she's sometimes doing too much, as we all do. I really don't think that putting the fear of a debilitating condition such as ME into her is helpful. There is absolutely no sign of it.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Intreaged about a post above reported! It was obviously removed before I returned. Thankyou for protecting me I presume.
    I am not going to be over worried about my health being much more than being tired, but it makes sense to get an MOT. We do it with cars! I suppose that I feel that I should be able to do more before I get tired, and should feel fresher at the start of the day. I often go to bed before 9pm and my alarm clock goes off at around 6-6.30. It takes me over an hour to get myself sorted out so as I am still only in my mid 50's I think I should be fitter, although trying to exercise just doesn't seem to be me! I will make an appointment for next week while I am not at work.

Work. The changes will need to start happening in the pricing system and in the jobs we take on.
    Looking deeper into the turnover, I think I am going to be able to tweak a few things for the better without being too worried about any fallout from turnover.
    We have written to the man about his requirements for more bunting and explained that it is a different thing making them in quite times out of remnants to exact colours and large numbers in short times.
    I have explained that bunting can be made but at a higher cost and around our higher paying jobs. I think we could do 20 a month but not a week. He can then decide to go ahead or not.
    I am trying to find 4" letters for die cutting without success, and have considered and will test out possibly embroidered ones.
    Today is curtains day.
    Monday the campervan cushions are coming back with the actual cushions this time. I have not seen the problem yet so don't know what works will be needed to sort them.
    I am also going to tell staff that I can only pay her the 20 hours a week until she finishes, so to choose the time she starts to reflect that as she has been staying on until she is needed at her daughter's. She is working when she does, preparation for jobs, unpicking zips, answering the phone, serving customers, pressing my work for me, but I need to consider the costs to pay myself as everyone else has said.
    The seamstress is not in for the rest of the week so I am going to do the work that we have in, as much as possible and see how much there is for the seamstress next week.
    I will be making notes on my review and see what can be done.
    On the home front I hope to just keep the rooms I did yesterday, clean and tidy, and will see what energy is left whether I do abit more or not.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not a bad day yesterday, but I was rather hot at times. Sewing when hot doesn't help if you are putting a zip in a puffa jacket or sewing heavy curtains!
    Bf helped clean the paddling pool and refil it for all the kids to play last night. I went back to work to do some dress fittings.
    Then BF went for a run. I did have a short go with the hula hoop, but it has bobbley bits on the inside ring and they hurt in my opinion.
    I also did some tummy exercises once it was cooler and before we ate.
    I took GP again around 10pm and I had a better night.
    I have taken it this morning but as it is frozen I can't really take it to work with me.
    I have more curtains to do today, so I will do them first, to use the better part of the day for my hands.
    I tried to keep the downstairs tidy before I went to bed, but the dishes stayed on the drainer, and this morning the washing is in piles around the bathroom floor while I sort and start to do another load. I put it on last night as I went to bed, so that is now hanging out to dry.
    My muscle food delivery is due today.
    I have repeatedly asked for it to be left in the shed as the sun hits the back doorway, last time they didn't so I think I will have to try and come home when I get notice that they have delivered.
    Dgd is going to have a few friends to play in the pool tonight so I said I would do something for tea for them. It is rare for me to feed the children these days.
    Time to go to work.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Didn't get hardly any sewing done today. Had to see the accountant about Pension schemes, then staff disappeared off to help her daughter! ( I know)!
    I was on my own for a few hours and couldn't get a flow going as constant interruptions.

Kids now playing. Time to sort the pizza
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 8th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 25,001 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    I took GP again around 10pm and I had a better night.
    I have taken it this morning but as it is frozen I can't really take it to work with me.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    It doesn't have to stay frozen Mooloo - I don't eat it frozen - I have a teaspoonful with my lunch/snack. Tastes a bit of curry but quite pleasant IMO
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not sure I like the texture/taste but will try it when I get home.
    I am in Oxford, we walked nearly 5 miles in and out again today. I am suffering now.
    I just heard that my son has lost his job. I really thought he was finally in a good place and getting on. I am worried that he won't be able to pay his bills now as he is paying rent on a room, and owes his sister for the car insurance every month. I certainly can't help anyone anymore.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 46,771 Posts
    • 166,886 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not such great news about your son.
    Stay strong.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jul 17, 6:44 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning has come too soon. Yesterday evening we went out to the pub garden where BFs daughter works as she was having a gathering for his granddaughter's 1st Birthday. I did feel like a spare part as his ex wife was there so naturally his son gravitated to her table and I was sat on the opposite side of the garden while BF went to the bus station to pick up his eldest son. Dgd was happily playing with a families dog. She loves animals.
    It was a pleasant evening weather wise at least, and I got talking to a single mum who also felt like a fish out of water, and Dgd also played ball with her 3 year old son.
    When we got back it was time for dgd to get to bed, and I waited while bf did his packing ready for his trip to Austria later today.
    So it was about 10.30 when I came up to bed. I am not sure what time BF came up. I went to the loo and back to sleep immediately!only waking for short periods of time because I was too hot/cold or having a bad dream. The alarm went off at 6am and bf had already gone.
    I am just about to wake Dgd up and then we will get home so she can change into her school uniform and go to school. It's always a rush if we are coming from Oxford on a Monday morning.
    I must make sure I pack everything in the car, including the customers curtains I brought with me to do.
    I have another busy week ahead as plenty of work came in at the end of the week. Which is a good sign. I have not paid myself this week yet, just because I want to pay the suppliers and don't want to take funds out of the savings accounts or actually use the overdraft if I can help it. But if I need it I will take it later in the week.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    So sorry about DS's job Mooloo x I hope he can find another one quickly.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 44,301 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So, today was Good. I finally managed to explain to staff that although there was work I had set her wages at 20 hours so she went home at 2.30. I managed to explain to the seamstress that I wanted her to do the jobs on her list in the order I ask her and not to just take a job off of the rack. Although she did finish the job she had started before I arrived.
    The camper cushions came in this afternoon while I was upstairs teaching. So I did not get to talk to the woman about it.
    I can see unfortunately that the fault lies with us. I told my seamstress that I had left a 2cm seam allowance, and she had only done 1cm!
    So that means redoing it all at our expense.
    I will be working on them after the normal working day each day until it is done because I need to keep earning money during the day.
    Biggest is back from her honeymoon and today she's got to grips with the various amounts on the credit cards and has made the first payments in advance. Long may it continue. I transferred those over immediately so I don't forget to pay them.
    I also moved all my various savings pots, except for small amounts to keep the accounts open, all into my main account so tomorrow I will go and pay the dentist and clear that debt.
    I Still need to sort out DGDs passport! A trip to the Photobox then.
    This evening while Dgd was at brownies I went into work and sorted out my work load for the rest of the week, so I should be able to start straight away in the morning.
    Bf is away with work all week, so only have to think about meals for dgd and myself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,432Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter