Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,137Posts
    • 44,587Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 29
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 47,264 Posts
    • 169,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Any way you could bring that retirement date forward?
    You could loose a lot of money between now & then.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I had to stop writing as I was babysitting my grandson no 4.
    Bf had his granddaughter so we met up and took the three kids to the local food festival for the day. Although we took a picnic and didn't spend much money, £3 face painting for dgd and a 75p macaroon she wanted to try.
    There was entertainment, singers, chiors, and circus performers. My daughter Biggest was one of the organisers ( that's why I had dgs4). It meant we had two free entrance bands. Bonus.
    I was given some fish ( no idea what type), from a customer yesterday so I tried it for tea tonight. But I am still not really a fan of fish. The stuff that is left I will probably make a fish cake with though so I don't waste it, but I won't be buying any.
    I am tired now, and will be having an early night again I think.
    Tomorrow is full on with fittings etc and of course I have a lot of sewing to fit in.
    We didn't get much money in yesterday but I am still fairly happy with the take for the week.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 58,823 Thanks
    elona
    mooloo

I find baking fish in foil with peppers and onions on top is very tasty.

Fishcakes or a small fish pie are good too and frozen spinach is cheap and nutritious.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I have managed to loose some weight but how exactly I really don't know as on Friday I had gone up, but today I am 9st9lb. But my waistline has gone down by 2" still too big at 36"!!
    Middle age spread as soon as I stopped the HRT really.
    I am doing a few stretch exercises and no eating between meals and cut the wine out to only Saturday night.
    I have a target for the wedding in 2 weeks to loose 5lb but I am not sure if I will manage it. I am not use to exercise or dieting!
    Today I am expecting to be very busy in the shop catching up on work that came in over Fridays and Saturday trading. Including the bunting!!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,529 Posts
    • 19,107 Thanks
    Slinky
    Try cutting out the carbs Mooloo. I put on weight on holiday recently, thought it was about a stone as I could see my stomach was getting bigger, but it turned out to be just 4lbs, but came from too many chips, bread and alcohol (we were in Greece). Couldn't get my jeans done up by about 3-4 inches, so it was all sitting round my waist.

Gone back to low carbing again, weight off and jeans now fit again, has taken 2 weeks.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Try cutting out the carbs Mooloo. I put on weight on holiday recently, thought it was about a stone as I could see my stomach was getting bigger, but it turned out to be just 4lbs, but came from too many chips, bread and alcohol (we were in Greece). Couldn't get my jeans done up by about 3-4 inches, so it was all sitting round my waist.

Gone back to low carbing again, weight off and jeans now fit again, has taken 2 weeks.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Completely agree! Stick to protein and full fat dairy then you'll feel full all day and won't want to snack. Stay away from carbs and anything containing more than 5% sugar. Beware of low-fat products as they have a much higher sugar content. Fat isn't the enemy but sugar is.

Example daily menu:

Breakfast: porridge made with full fat milk and a sprinkling of dried fruit & nuts.

Lunch: hard boiled egg salad - lots of colour - peppers, salad leaves, spinach, tomatoes, beetroot, carrots etc. Full fat yoghurt & piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, berries)

Dinner: piece of chicken/fish/meat and lots of steamed vegetables. Strawberries & ice cream.

Treat: handful of nuts or small glass wine.
    • markdebby
    • By markdebby 12th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    markdebby
    I 2nd the low carb method. Have lost 5 pounds at just over a week
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4,529 Posts
    • 19,107 Thanks
    Slinky
    Completely agree! Stick to protein and full fat dairy then you'll feel full all day and won't want to snack. Stay away from carbs and anything containing more than 5% sugar. Beware of low-fat products as they have a much higher sugar content. Fat isn't the enemy but sugar is.

Example daily menu:

Breakfast: porridge made with full fat milk and a sprinkling of dried fruit & nuts.

Lunch: hard boiled egg salad - lots of colour - peppers, salad leaves, spinach, tomatoes, beetroot, carrots etc. Full fat yoghurt & piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, berries)

Dinner: piece of chicken/fish/meat and lots of steamed vegetables. Strawberries & ice cream.

Treat: handful of nuts or small glass wine.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I'd sub full fat Greek yogurt for the porridge (carbs), have double cream instead of icecream and steer clear of the wine. If you have to have wine, red has fewer carbs than white. Agree with the nuts (peanuts aren't nuts). A lump of cheese is also a good one for staving off the carb cravings.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'd sub full fat Greek yogurt for the porridge (carbs), have double cream instead of icecream and steer clear of the wine. If you have to have wine, red has fewer carbs than white. Agree with the nuts (peanuts aren't nuts). A lump of cheese is also a good one for staving off the carb cravings.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Yes, even better! I suggested porridge as I'm sure Mooloo has previously mentioned it. Personally, I'd have eggs, bacon, tomato, spinach etc for brunch but that wouldn't be an option for Mooloo on a working day. I prefer to eat twice a day.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Phew! Been working all evening on the bunting. I am tired now, and still hours of work needed but enough for tonight.
    11-5, cutting and overlocking, 6.30-7.30 overlocking, 8pm - 11.45 sewing and ironing on letters!! Saturday 4 hours on the letters, and apparently Friday it took staff all day ( between serving etc) to trace out the letters.w when I tried to tell staff about making sure future bunting is charged differently she basically talked at me and put me in my place in her eyes. She said that it doesn't matter what I do after she is gone! I was flabbergasted and the seamstress said that she heard her being adamant about her reasoning etc!
    I have had to bring the work home as I can't do all those hours of work either my time or anyone's time in shop hours any more than I did today. Tomorrow I need to work on normal jobs, and I have a business meeting at tea time tomorrow. So it's going to be late nights for me this week.
    And I still need to finish my outfit for the wedding!!!
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 13th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,907 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Did you ring the customer and increase the price?

So you are the owner and boss and your staff told you how your shop should be run???

I would be suggesting that you both mutually agree for her to go earlier than end of July, could she go at the end of June?
    I think you said before that her heart isn't in it since her daughter opened a caf! - maybe she would appreciate leaving early to help in the caf!.

Even of you had to pay her some wages in compensation that would surely be cheaper than her staying and quoting ridiculous prices on items that then don't make you any profit?
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 13th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    I agree ^
    I'd guess shes on a weeks notice & i've give it today!
    Staff was bang out of order, she is costing you money that is your future Mooloo and that poor attitude that she keeps giving you, her employer, thats now unforgivable.
    Staff is no longer helping when you go on holiday as she has so 'kindly' gone back on her word so I can't see any real reason to keep her on until her intended 'retirement' date as she isn't doing you any favours and is just giving back chat, looks and costing you much needed income. You have the other seamstress, you could legitimately give her notice as work that has been quoted too cheaply means you can't afford to keep her until july (which i'm guessing she told you rather than was agreed as her retirement date)
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    It's funny because I dismissed staff throughout my career and didn't worry about it that much. On this occasion I don't want to rock the boat too much. I think I gave her too much responsibility in the beginning and was too busy to notice.
    Don't shout at me!
    I will change the signs and prices from here in. I will not change the price to the customer as I am half way through the job and would rather have the £240 then nothing. But I will be doing them at home from now on.
    Time is against me.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 13th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Phew! Been working all evening on the bunting.w when I tried to tell staff about making sure future bunting is charged differently she basically talked at me and put me in my place in her eyes. She said that it doesn't matter what I do after she is gone!
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Unbelievable, who does she think she is. It is YOUR business, YOU are the one who knows how much work it is. The sooner she is gone the better for you Mooloo.

I third the low carbing method for weight loss.
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 13th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Not shouting at you mooloo just very frustrated by staff and how she is treating you.

I'm not sure who it was who mentioned golden paste previously (search is sadly awful), I'm interested to know if it may help my mum so can you drop me a message, thanks
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Jun 17, 12:40 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Will catch up Trix tomorrow, erm later!
    I am just winding down from a busy day, I went straight from work to a business meeting about growing your small business that was 5-8 tonight. The few people there were a surprise as one also had a sewing business working from home making soft furnishings. We certainly had a lively conversation, and I was really feeling reinvigorated by the end of the meeting.
    After Dgd had gone to bed and I had finished chatting to the baby sitter, my great friend from here's daughter, she is back until the new term when she will go to Uni for her masters degree, I sat at the sewing machine till midnight midnight and now I am going to bed.
    I will be chatting to staff on Thursday about a few things, carefully.
    Over the next few weeks I will be making changes and will be doing as much of the overhaul of the business I can as we get ready for the 3 year Anniversary.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    gosh i can't believe its nearly 3 years!! you'v done so well
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,587 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am exhausted.
    I am not very happy at the moment And now I have had an email saying the van covers are too big. Having made them to clients measurements and not having the cushions, I suppose that was always a risk. But now I am going to have to put it right as we are getting the blame. Would be easy but for the fact that the van is in Devon and the man is living in it.
    I opened the email late last night after hours of sewing the bunting and felt like just giving up the whole business and saying enough is enough of working so hard for very little money.
    I am going to have to find something to be positive about and not focus on one or two small problems, except that they feel huge problems and I have my daughter's wedding looming large and time is running out.
    I am not Mrs positive today.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 15th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Mooloo

When you are doing an order where you can't measure yourself do you either sent an E Mail or write something out in the shop detailing all the measurements provided by the customer and getting them to sign/ send a confirmation E Mail agreeing that the measurements are correct and they will be charged for those measurements?

You need to cover yourself.
    • sarathebest
    • By sarathebest 15th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sarathebest
    Is there a danger that they may shrink a little when they are cleaned/washed - it wouldn't be good to have too tight a fit!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter