Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,137Posts
    • 44,585Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 28
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 3rd Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Post today brings a letter from Housing telling me my Housing Benefits have changed and I need to pay another £51 this month. I have already lost £26 odd a week income and now it looks like I am being reassessed and change is afoot. I have yet to hear from the council how they have come to their conclusion as they asked for my account by 10th June, and I have yet to produce that too them?
    I am about to be overhauled financially again then.
    Glad all my upcoming breaks away are already paid for and the spending money is there for the next one at least.
    I am not going to panic - yet
    I had to send my Saturday girl home today as she was sick. I then had to cancel all the sewing lessons to mind the shop. But I did manage to take in more work and do unscheduled fittings too. We have at least a full week of work in to do.
    Dgd is away for the day and night, and I will not see her until tomorrow evening now.
    Tonight there is a change of plans and BF is coming here, so we will get to go out for a change.
    I am hoping that we go out to eat. But if not it's ham salad as I have not defrosted anything.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 4th Jun 17, 12:25 AM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    The least he can do is take you out for dinner. If not, I would let him know there's virtually nothing you can easily cook at home, so maybe suggest getting a take-away.

Although, I'd be pretty peed off if I didn't go out for dinner on the rare occasion DGD is away from home xx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We did get out for a meal. The pub at the end of the road does two steaks and a bottle of house wine for £25. Brilliant value but it was very busy so we had to wait a long time for the meal. Gave us a chance to chat a bit, which is always good as he is not much of a talker.
    Today I am going to afternoon tea at Whittlebury Hall to meet my daughter and some of the girls etc on her hen weekend. Although it's quite early at 1.30 so I will be foregoing lunch.
    Back on the diet tomorrow although I will still be careful with what I eat today. I had fruit and fibre cereal for Breakfast after my cup of hot water and lemon. Having my first cup of tea of the day now.
    bF is weilding the strimmer for me as it is one job I struggle to do with my arm.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The garden was mostly dragged back into shape this morning and at 12.30 BF took a pile of rubbish to the tip for me, as I went to meet my daughter and her friends etc. Very nice high tea followed by a glass of Prosecco (spelling?), my daughter has had a good weekend and her friends looked after her well. We all chatted and had a good afternoon. Her Dads wife came, and we sat chatting etc and he came to collect her at the end and sat with us for about 20 minutes before I left to come home.
    All in all fairly successful. He had been to see our Son while we had tea, so that is a bonus as he rarely sees them.
    I am hoping to put my feet up, and do some reading now and after tea I should be doing this weeks accounts etc. Although I may be tempted to do them in the morning as I have been waking around 5am with the neighbour's shuffling vans and cars around, then I tune into the birds and can't sleep.
    Tomorrow I will get my business head back on, get my outfit for the wedding cut out, and the bow ties started, and will be putting my dieting plans into practice.
    Along with the budget changes being heeded.
    Basically it's time to put my big girls knickers back on, or as my mum says, pull myself up with my boot straps!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well typically I was up twice for the loo, and didn't wake until 6am alarm.
    I have read my emails, social media updates, and looked at the main bank balances and paid bills.
    I am having my hot water with lemon (instead of tea(. I have my SAD lamp on because I found yesterday quite oppression and I feel a little stressed.
    Then I will jump in the shower and launch myself into the working day.
    I have a pile of wet washing to hang up, not out as my rotaryvline is not stable enough for the weight of the cover. I can't seem to find a strong enough one these days and the first puff of wind and it's over!
    It's back to school so I need to get dgd into school morning mode, which is never easy. I have ordered school lunches so at least I don't have her lunch to get but I do need to do mine.
    I better finish this water and get moving! All I want to do is go back to sleep and have a duvet day! Of course being a business woman that cannot happen and I must carry on regardless.
    Hands really hurt, that's the rain then, golden paste needed too. I am not sure if it works well or not, as I still forget about taking it sometimes. But I should do more while I have a lot of it in the fridge.
    So I need to find my positive thoughts and energy and move myself up a gear.
    Hope everyone is safe in this scary world we find ourselves in.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 5th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Post today brings a letter from Housing telling me my Housing Benefits have changed and I need to pay another £51 this month. I have already lost £26 odd a week income and now it looks like I am being reassessed and change is afoot. I have yet to hear from the council how they have come to their conclusion as they asked for my account by 10th June, and I have yet to produce that too them?
    I am about to be overhauled financially again then.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Have your tax credits gone up slightly recently?
    Tax Credits notify local authorities straight away so sometimes this can trigger a recalculation without you having done anything.

Hope the letter arrives today and if it doesn't maybe you could call them and see what is happening?
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will have to wait until after work as the post doesn't come here until mid day ish!
    I am expecting that when I do my year end figures I will be loosing my tax credits, well some of them, and the housing benefit. But I have still to give them the accounts.
    I wanted to see the accountant first. Must remember to try and get that appointment.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    No post today.
    Busy all day and forgot to call accountant again. I will have to just send my accounts as an estimate and tell them I will update when finalised later in the year.
    I am not very good at this diet idea, totally forgot and as running late picking dgd up from after school club that I bought a chippy!
    I will have to really remember to plan my meals or I will never lose anything in time for the wedding!
    On the bonus side I am not so constipated!!
    I better go and get dgd from Brownies
    Only been home 5 minutes after delivering a dress we finished lat
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well we have been busy again and nearly cleared the list today. We are doing really well, and have enough work for two of us on Thursday but probably not Friday. But you never know what might come in still.
    We took a healthy £220.55 today and had taken £260 odd yesterday.
    Thursday sees me starting on the items for my daughter's wedding.
    We are only 3 weeks away from it.
    I am babysitting for her at the moment, haven't done that for a while.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jun 17, 7:18 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am indulging myself first today.
    I have a massage and a manicure booked today. I booked it a while ago, but dispite funds getting squeezed I have decided that I deserve to spend some money on me!
    After the indulgence I will be going to see Mum and taking her out etc before collecting dgd at 3.15
    I will do the housework after school and then the accounting this evening.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Jun 17, 6:53 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I don't seem to have lost weight but added to it!!!!
    Double the effort now then! I am obviously still not exercising enough and eating too much!
    Think I will make myself some vegetable soup for tonight.
    I have had my hot water and slice of lemon.
    I have done some warm up exercises and tummy ones, already this morning.Mail checked, bank balance and recent transactions checked.
    Messages on Facebook followed through.
    Time for a shower and breakfast. Get dgd up, and school run. It's raining here so rather dull and dreary, may need to use the sad lamp again on days like this.
    Biggest is coming for her wedding dress fittings today and I intend to work on my outfit today.
    Feels strange wearing nail polish. Was experimenting with the colours for the wedding.
    Dgd went to bed with a sore neck after falling over the wheel barrow playing in the garden yesterday. I gave her a hot water bottle to hug. I am hoping that she will be feeling better today!
    Better go and see.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Dgd started running a temperature last night so I have had to cancel my day today. We will have to cancel fittings and rearrange work etc.
    Yesterday Biggest came for her fitting. A little work required to fit.
    We had a few small jobs in, but then a large order for bunting. However I will have to bring it home to do because I don't think that staff quoted enough- at only £1 a flag she didn't quote for the fabric and labour ! ( usually bunting is using up scraps and remnants but this one will certainly need fabric purchased. It is also usually a filler job when quiet, and Saturday girl helps)
    I will need to work out of hours at home so I don't loose other paying work!
    20 buntings with 12 flags in each. Still should cover the fabric costs but not labour costs.
    I will pop in to the shop to bring work home later this afternoon if dgd is any better, or I will wait until BF comes home then go.
    My neighbour's going to pick me up some milk.
    BF surprised me and turned up here straight from the airport last night.
    I wasn't expecting to see him until tonight. Bonus.
    I will work on the accounts etc on the laptop today then.
    The new seamstress is not going in today, so no sewing will get done unfortunately, but we were on track. We will definitely have work next week then!
    Last edited by Mooloo; 09-06-2017 at 8:41 AM.
    • mrmechanic
    • By mrmechanic 9th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    mrmechanic
    We had a few small jobs in, but then a large order for bunting. However I will have to bring it home to do because I don't think that staff quoted enough- at only £1 a flag she didn't quote for the fabric and labour ! ( usually bunting is using up scraps and remnants but this one will certainly need fabric purchased. It is also usually a filler job when quiet, and Saturday girl helps)
    I will need to work out of hours at home so I don't loose other paying work!
    20 buntings with 12 flags in each. Still should cover the fabric costs but not labour costs.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Surely if the quote is only going to cover just the fabric, you would go back and tell the customer that you cannot do for the price quoted as the quote given by another staff member would be lucky if it covered the materials.
    No one works for nothing and especially if it means you are going to be bringing it home to do in your spare time.??
    You need to go back and let them know, if your new price is to expensive then they find someone else to do it that can do it cheaper.
    Why would you work for free??? you are struggling to make ends meet and pay staff, but committing to jobs with no financial benefit.Time to toughen up mooloo and put a value on your time or you are always going to be chasing that next job just to pay staff, rent, other bills and make ends meet.
    If you loose the customer, then you will just have to suck it up.
    If you do for free, then next time when they come back they will want it done for around the same price as last time and if you explain that you will have to charge more, they will go elsewhere.
    So you will have lost that customer anyway. Better to be tough now and make money or save yourself the time to put into a paying job.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
    • ognum
    • By ognum 9th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,470 Posts
    • 6,722 Thanks
    ognum
    Surely if the quote is only going to cover just the fabric, you would go back and tell the customer that you cannot do for the price quoted as the quote given by another staff member would be lucky if it covered the materials.
    No one works for nothing and especially if it means you are going to be bringing it home to do in your spare time.??
    You need to go back and let them know, if your new price is to expensive then they find someone else to do it that can do it cheaper.
    Why would you work for free??? you are struggling to make ends meet and pay staff, but committing to jobs with no financial benefit.Time to toughen up mooloo and put a value on your time or you are always going to be chasing that next job just to pay staff, rent, other bills and make ends meet.
    If you loose the customer, then you will just have to suck it up.
    If you do for free, then next time when they come back they will want it done for around the same price as last time and if you explain that you will have to charge more, they will go elsewhere.
    So you will have lost that customer anyway. Better to be tough now and make money or save yourself the time to put into a paying job.
    Originally posted by mrmechanic
    I agree with this, people make mistakes, go back and tell the customer and quote the right price.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 9th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I agree with this, people make mistakes, go back and tell the customer and quote the right price.
    Originally posted by ognum
    So do I. If you do it for free then she may well recommend you to other people and they will all want to pay the same price. You really need to tell her that staff made a mistake with the quote.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yes, your right, I will have to tell them that the quite is wrong. Although I am reluctant to go over Staffs head, were on a fine divide line of change at the moment and I seem to be biding my time until she retires as I don't want her memory of work to be negative after such a good few years. I just think she is off the pace now, side tracked by her daughter's cafe, and not being able to cope with change as easily as she used to.
    When I get back to work today I will see about timings, and check out the costings, before I call the customer.
    I spent yesterday at home, so I did the accounts, the paperwork for the council etc however no matter how many times I tried to sort out my website my internet explorer kept freezing and I lost my work. So the website remains out of date.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mooloo love, you have every right to go over her head - you are after all her boss!
    • elona
    • By elona 10th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 11,146 Posts
    • 58,823 Thanks
    elona
    mooloo

I take it staff would be glad to work for free? She quoted it so it seems fair that she does it for that price! Don't think she will be keen on losing her own money but quite happy for you to do so.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,930 Thanks
    beanielou
    How long til Staff retires?
    Not too long I hope.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 44,585 Thanks
    Mooloo
    She retires 28th July.
    I will not be replacing her with anyone else yet. My plan is to do the work myself, I will work on the front desk again, and do the computer work and the website etc, I plan to do the promotion stuff etc and start to up the profile of the shop, and let the seamstress do the majority of the sewing.
    If we need help I will look for another sewer and an all round person who doesn't mind doing a bit of both.
    I would like to be able to have the shop able to run smoothly without having to be there all the time. So that I can open another shop eventually
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin