Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,362Posts
    • 278,652Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 7
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I really must get started, all I've done is to plant the earlies. I have peppers on the windowsill that's all.
    I think I'll catch up on paperwork over the next two days which will make me feel clear and then I can start.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 15th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi Everyone good to see so many of year have made a great start.
    Aubergines can take up to 30 days to germinate Determined so don't give up on them.
    Made it to the allotment yesterday and happy to say things aren't too bad. Just need to repair 2 glass panes in the greenhouse and remove a dead mouse from the shed. So over wintering hasn't been as bad as it might have been.
    I know I'm a bit late with things and seeing Mr T (one of my neighbours) has made me realise just how late I am. So I need to get a wiggle on.
    However, I now have a bit of a plan mapped out and will be keeping it simple this year. So I've prepped, rotivated and covered the potato bed ready for the last week in March and hopefully will clear out the greenhouse today - it will take me about an hour. The only growing things in at the moment are spinach, onions, shallots and garlic - the rest is bare.
    I bought home the last of parsnips for freezing (2 kilos) which would cost £4.58 at Ocado (who I'm shopping with at the mo). So I'm taking that as my first saving of the year. Veg box cost £16.50 plus £2 for tomatoes.
    I still have plenty of fruit and veg in the freezer and onions to use up. Better get sowing then.

£4.58/£18.50
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,733 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Just been on the veg plot, collected sprouting broccoli, both white and purple. 350gm costing £3.50 at Sains**, and 2 fennel bulbs, they were not huge so £1.85 - gosh doesn't it add up, £8.55 in total so far this year.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 15th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Been busy again today

Sowed 3 varieties of tomatoes, spinach, sweet peppers, some more lettuce and spring onions (insurance in case the outside ones don't grow) and some sweet peas. Trying a little experiment soaking some sweet peas for 24 hours before sowing, and some straight into the soil as last years germination was pants - 2 plants out of a couple of dozen germinated

Weather is glorious, almost up to 20 degrees today
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    my neighbour replied to my email and said I can take cuttings of her redcurrant plants was hoping I'd get time to go there today and cut and plant but sadly with madam and cleaning up plans I didn't make it.

Am almost up to date with washing out pots. Note to self do not be lazy this year and just wash them as they are freed up!

Happy to report I can see a little cauliflower peeking through the soil when I see one I feel confident the rest will follow!

Hoping to have some energy to sow a few things this evening when madam is in bed went through my seeds last night and a load more seeds are at the front end of the sowing times and with the weather being so lovely I think I'll take a chance
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 16th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Good day to all,

Hope you're all being hit by the wave of glorious spring sunshine we have here.

New sowings this week have been peas and cornichons. Today I think may be beans LOL
    I absolutely adore this. It makes me feel very productive indeed! It was my birthday yesterday and I got a little bit of cash so I'm deciding what to spend it on.... perhaps some gardeners clogs (for running up the garden morning and evening for the chickens) and maybe another blueberry bush or two....

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    happy birthday CAFCGirl! May all your seeds germinate

working today and running tonight so was thinking I've got no time to sow. But now you've said it CAFCGirl think I can squeeze in a few sowings
    Last edited by determined new ms; 16-03-2017 at 8:10 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 16th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Theres always time for a few more sowings

• Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Managed to sow 12 half trays of different things yesterday and will be taking them to the lotty greenhouse this morning. Mainly brassicas and some salad. The allotment is looking good and it's nearly all weeded - just one small patch and I'm relaying the 3 raised beds - one at a time. I have too many tree roots coming up with the current ones.
    Tomatoes seem to be doing well but no sign of peppers yet.
    Soaked some peas overnight - so I'll need to get them in today - trying out Kelvedon wonder and Meteor as a starter and will see what else I fancy as we go on.
    And I have a plan!
    Friendly Mr T at the lotty gave me the last of his flower sprouts -can highly recommend them and have sown some myself - they grow upright like a brussel and look more like a fancy sprouting broccoli - very good flavour.
    Must get going -have a good day eveyone.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    sad times! After 3 weeks I've investigated my broad beans as only 2 have germinated. Looks like they are dud. going to have to go to the garden centre and pick up another pack. I bought a load of seeds off of more veg, prices very reasonable and you don't get loads but I don't think I'll use them again
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Oh thats a shame DNM!

Yesterday saw me sow some shallots and wash a stack load more pots ready for more sowing - although I'm half tempted to use the very large tray with small pots to start off some onion sets here, and then direct plant some at the allotment over the weekend.

Does anyone here follow the lunar planting guide?

• Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning Everyone
    Shame about the broad beans Determined I wonder if the ground was to wet and they rotted - it can happen. That's why people sow them in October and they get off to a good start. I missed that window this year so I've opted to start them in root trainers in an unheated greenhouse. You could use toilet rolls or pots and perhaps keep them on a window sill to give them a bit of a start. As soon as they're up and have a second leaf pop them in the ground then.
    I peeped into a cold frame yesterday and found a glorious crop of rocket that had self seeded from last year. Must be a couple of pounds worth. Sowed quite a few more seeds yesterday - onions, shallots, salad, leeks and peas. So they'll be taken to the allotment and put in the green house to give them a good start.
    The little grow light thing I got for Christmas is also doing well with coriandar, tomatoes and basil - so I won't be buying herbs again if they keep coming - that will save me about £3 a week as I use quite a lot. In the garden I have mint, bay, rosemary and thyme all doing well.
    Such a great time of year. Veg box arrived this morning and I expect to keep that coming until May time when I usually go self sufficient - fingers crossed.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    got a chance to get out in the greenhouse earlier. Planted another 20 broad bean seeds. Watched several youtube clips of how to sow. am thinking if these don't germinate I'll still have time to buy some for a late sowing. also sowed more basil, coriander and aubergines & 10 mini sweetcorn seeds (minipop)

lettuces I sowed earlier this week has germinate, as have leeks, 4 cauliflowers and all but 4 tomato seeds
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 19th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 9,388 Thanks
    tibawo
    My garlic is starting to come up. I was not expecting quite so many to sprout- don't ask me why, ye of little faith etc. Now I have too many for my back yard pots!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 19th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

Well we have lift off! My lettuces have sprouted both inside and outside planted and I have detected the first sprouts from the onion sets planted indoors too

The 3 seed potatoes planted indoors are also sprouting well, I will probably put them into their final containers shortly as the roots are already poking out of the bottom of the pots - really hoping I can get a super early crop

No new sowings at the moment, its difficult to find places with no windowsills in this house, once the potatoes are all planted I will have some room for more little sproutlets!

Hope you all had a good weekend
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • YorkshireW
    • By YorkshireW 19th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    YorkshireW
    Seeds and cuttings?
    Hi All,

Seed sowing in the greenhouse yesterday and horrible wet and windy weather today so spent more time seed shopping than sowing.

Found a company that does small packets. Good value from 55p a packet and also free postage through to April. Seedstosow.co.uk

Other than seeds, are there any cuttings I can try still? I have Rosemary and Thyme that have seen better days, will cuttings taken from these grow on?

Thanks all
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 20th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Hi there everyone - on my third year of allotment owning and went over this weekend and spent an hour or so on sat and Sunday organising/clearing.
    Asparagus bed weeded ready for this hopefully popping up and being harvested for first time (its been in 2 years) separated some raspberry canes /split off and tidied up the fruit bushes (gooseberry and red currant) - cleared some of the dry leaves off the strawberry patch - but this really needs a good sort out for this year!
    Onions (red) growing well and planted home horseradish thongs, got some aldi seed potatoes hitting on the windowsill!!
    We are hopefully moving house in a few weeks and will have a decent veg patch/orchard and greenhouse there so I am really itching to get all my seeds started!!! Cant start them at home as house is on the market and would look too untidy - hopefully I can get everything started in the greenhouse in a few weeks when we move in!!
    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • elburnzo
    • By elburnzo 20th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    elburnzo
    was at the plot on Saturday. Managed to get a rhubarb plant planted for next year and finished off the first bed and weeding what will become the fruit area. Still just over half of the plot to weed will get there eventually!

Got some seeds started at home now as well. leeks, cabbage, brocolli and lettuce. Only the lettuce has made an appearance so far.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 20th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi Everyone
    I now have all my March seeds sown now and have a plan drawn up - so I'm thinking about April. Can't believe how quickly time goes by. The greenhouse is full of trays and even got a couple of the dwarf French poking their heads through.

Other than seeds, are there any cuttings I can try still? I have Rosemary and Thyme that have seen better days, will cuttings taken from these grow on?
    Originally posted by YorkshireW
    Here's a link to taking some rosemary cuttings: http://growagoodlife.com/propagate-rosemary-plant-from-stem-cuttings/
    You can also layer them in the ground until they root and then cut them off from the main plant. I think it's always worth having a go and if you get to many you can always pass them along or sell a few.
    I have a couple of plants rhubarb, chives that I'll put out for sale at the weekend and try to make a bit of pocket money.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 21st Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    yippee I have the day off and the sun is shinning I actually have the whole week off but at this point today is the only day the forecast is saying it's going to be nice!

On Sunday I raked the bed I was going to put potatoes - raking to a fine tilth is hard! But after doing that I see this area is thick with marestail tail so after some research I'm having a change of tack. I'm going to cover it with a mulch of compost and cows manure and cover with black polythene. When the time is right I will plant my squashes through the polythene. Reading up I feel if I don't do this I'll just have trouble with this bit of the plot forever!covered with some black sheeting taken from an old storage space

I'm picking up the bits I need to make my wormery today. Hopefully apart from worms and coir block it is gratis hurrah picked up polystyrene boxes from the fish monger for free and have ordered the worms will be here Thursday or Friday so have a couple of days to make it

Will nip to the lottie to do a little tidying/digging shortly. Managed to take cuttings of the red current bushes while I was there Sunday. done

Plan to sow sweet peas today. A bit late but hopefully won't be a problem. Other than that no sowing plans and no germination of seeds sown at the weekend yet.
    Last edited by determined new ms; 21-03-2017 at 3:53 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,355Posts Today

8,465Users online

Martin's Twitter