Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,427Posts
    • 279,228Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 40
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    First melon of the season picked, going to enjoy it with dinner
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 17th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    MissPop
    How many leaves before you transplant them?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I wait until there's at least one set of true leaves after the cotyledons. I do tend to put 2-4 seeds in one 7cm pot, and then transplant them when I think they need more space. I'm guessing maybe I should plant them singly so I don't disturb the roots so much?
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1302.50/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $125 | Swagbucks - £350
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    So have you any ideas what you are going to plant? I like irises which I have in another part of the plot but think may be too tall for a bed.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    So far I'm at tulips and that's about it

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 18th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 11,796 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Have you got them in? thats my next confusion. Do I spread all the bulbs over the bed and then other seeds/ plant things (not sure what!) around the bulbs or do I put all bulbs together and all other things together. Hmmmm I have this vision of a bed full of flowers just waiting to be picked but realistically I know that everything wont flower together and at some points the dying off foliage of the bulbs is going to spoil my idealistic picture.

In theory.......what I have bought so far will give me something to pick from March maybe to June.

Just got to find time to plant them now.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £46.99
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Have you got them in? thats my next confusion. Do I spread all the bulbs over the bed and then other seeds/ plant things (not sure what!) around the bulbs or do I put all bulbs together and all other things together. Hmmmm I have this vision of a bed full of flowers just waiting to be picked but realistically I know that everything wont flower together and at some points the dying off foliage of the bulbs is going to spoil my idealistic picture.

In theory.......what I have bought so far will give me something to pick from March maybe to June.

Just got to find time to plant them now.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    My thinking was to stack the bulbs in layers, so daffs, cover in a layer of compost, then crocuses, cover in a layer and then tulips, cover. so in theory something starts to poke through as the other dies back. I was going to try to tightly pack mine to get that 'full' effect and I will probably use the edge of the bed to sow a seed of some sort as I can rarely get anything to grow right up to the edge of the bed frame

ETA - no I havent got them in yet, I havent even bought them LOL

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 23rd Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    CAFCGirl, I put daffs in layers in the outside containers, usually about 4 layers, as you can get quite a good show. Afterwards I plant the daffs on mass (without separating them) around the grounds, just dig a nice big hole and drop the contents of the container in it back fill and that's it. a website called 'Kiss My Grass' is where I buy them. i usually buy a sack as it's a lot cheaper than going to a garden centre.

Dug up some main crop potatoes today, filled 3 x mushroom trays and I only dug one row. I know you are not supposed to wash them but I always run them under the hosepipe and have never had any problems. I'll go through them, pull out any I don't like the look of and sort them into different sizes as I use the smallest first. That's the evening sorted
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 23rd Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 11,796 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Well I got a couple of hours at the plot today and got my bulbs planted. I decided to go in rows. Did a row of narcissus...then tulips....then daffs ....then anemones and another row of tulips.

Realised after Id put them in that I was supposed to soak the anemones in water overnight so the ones I had left over are soaking.

They took up less than a third of my bed so I will have to investigate summer flowering bulbs and seeds and fill the rest of the bed as and when. At least I have made a start though.

Picked the rest of the sweetcorn and had a general cut back on all the brambles trying to creep onto my plot.

Planted a bit of garlic someone had given me. I have no over wintering onions in yet and hoping I can still get some from somewhere. Lovely bit of sunshine here in Lincs this afternoon.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £46.99
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 24th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 23,349 Posts
    • 90,714 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Left Himself the remaining produce from the garden in the kitchen. It looked stunning - four perfect potatoes, one shaped like a duck, half a single corn cob, one red onion and a selection of huge sage leaves poked in around them, all in the tin pan from the scales on a teatowel.

Cheeky wotsit started whistling 'We Plough the Fields and Scatter'.

It does give me the feeling that it is something special, though I certainly won't be baking a loaf in the shape of a wheatsheaf to mark the occasion. Can't work out if it's childhood religious practices eeking out of my subconscious or whether it's just a normal human instinct - although if it were the former, surely I should be looking for a dented tin of tomato soup that went out of date in 2010 to dress up with a doily?

What do you lot think?

ETA: the veggies were lovely with dinner - especially the corn - we're definitely growing it more seriously next year, as it was a shove-it-in-and-see this time.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 24-09-2017 at 6:43 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 24th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 23,349 Posts
    • 90,714 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    My thinking was to stack the bulbs in layers, so daffs, cover in a layer of compost, then crocuses, cover in a layer and then tulips, cover. so in theory something starts to poke through as the other dies back. I was going to try to tightly pack mine to get that 'full' effect and I will probably use the edge of the bed to sow a seed of some sort as I can rarely get anything to grow right up to the edge of the bed frame

ETA - no I havent got them in yet, I havent even bought them LOL
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl

Tulips deepest, then Daffs (include the miniature Narcissi like paperwhites), then Crocus, as they have different preferred planting depths. Sling in some tiny Irises and Grape hyacinths in the top layer, too - the early bees adore them and the intensity of blue appearing early in the year is amazing - why not add some native bluebell and snowdrops and snakeshead fritillaries?

You could also put puddy (wretched swear filter!) willow at the back - it's beautiful in arrangements.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 25th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Tulips deepest, then Daffs (include the miniature Narcissi like paperwhites), then Crocus, as they have different preferred planting depths. Sling in some tiny Irises and Grape hyacinths in the top layer, too - the early bees adore them and the intensity of blue appearing early in the year is amazing - why not add some native bluebell and snowdrops and snakeshead fritillaries?

You could also put puddy (wretched swear filter!) willow at the back - it's beautiful in arrangements.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Excellent!
    I love clear cut instructions on what to do

P.S I now have 'we plough the fields' going round in my head

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 27th Sep 17, 12:35 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Bramleys going into the freezer at the moment. We have friends with an orchard and she brings us boxes and boxes of windfalls for the horses but the Bramleys are straight off the tree and they are huge. I've enough to last a whole year.

Just ordered some strawberry runners as I haven't enough, plus some elephant garlic, autumn planting onions and shallots for the tunnel and some broad bean seeds - all to arrive in October. That just leaves me with Swift potatoes to order from Dobies as they can deliver in December. They will also go in the tunnel. I won't be able do anything next Jan/Feb and possibly March so I need to be organised this side of Christmas.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 2nd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi Everyone
    Haven't posted for a while as things have been a bit hectic and I've been away for a while. Reading back things look very busy for you all. I went to the allotment over the weekend and things are starting to look a little bleak. The runners are finished but I have plenty frozen. Lovely carrots going well and quite a few squashes will keep well into next year. I've brought in all the tomatoes now even the green ones which will ripen off on the window sill.
    On the plus side of things there are plenty of mushrooms about. I went on a bit of a walk and brought quite a few for drying. So I'll be focusing on those for the next month.
    Still not buying much from the supermarket - must have saved a fortune and that should go on for some time.
    For those that need it Morrisons have launched a £5 wonky veg box and an organic one for £8. I'll be trying that when my veg runs out.
    The melons went down very well - only one small left now but I definitely grow them next year.
    I see everyone's going on to bulbs now. I must admit I haven't thought about them yet - but must catch up.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Hectic here too (well sort of). Tomatoes still going strong, runner beans starting to get a little rust. As the caterpillars did a good job on my kale, I decided to bolster that plot with some red cabbage and broccoli. I also finally got around to ordering my Autumn planting garlic and onion (via Suttons this time). Tomorrow: leaf raking
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 2nd Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Hi everyone
    Rabbits have stripped the raspberries back to the stalks. I must set about protecting them more as it's heart breaking.
    Third melon picked today, this one had a little rabbit damage but not too bad so I'll cut that bit out, three more to harvest.
    Carrots, kale, and leeks doing well, cucumbers, aubergines, runners, french beans and tomatoes finished. Loads of Bramleys frozen but very few vegetables so I will struggle over winter.
    Shallots, onions and elephant garlic arrived today along with a packet of broad bean seeds.
    Early potatoes on order - to arrive this December and to be planted in the tunnel this side of Christmas

Feels like it's time to start tiding up and spreading muck on the empty beds. I need to get ahead of the game this year as I'll be out of action for quite a number of weeks in the New Year as I've an op at the Royal Brompton Heart Hosp in January
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 4th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Picked chillies that were ripe, going into the freezer later, planted autumn shallots and elephant garlic, massive cloves very impressed with the size. Onions still to plant.
    Dug up the rest of a bed of carrots and turned it over - not too many carrots left as we've been eating them for a couple of months. Harvested a very large courgette yesterday, it was having an identity crisis as thought it was a marrow.

Definite Autumn chill in the air.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 6th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Just about to be overrun with tomatoes (the pick now or fall off and rot time of year). Made some spicy relish with a kilo of the little blighters today. I'm waiting on my onions etc to show up. In the meantime one of my neglected peppers has finally turned red(ish). Mulched the rhubarb, then started refilling the leaf bin today.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 11th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Now the weather has turned, I'm finding it much easier to get stuff done.

Yesterday saw me dig over, and build a 3 pallet collar bed and level that out. Today I'm hoping to be able to do the same in the spot next to it where the summer squashes are. It's finally time to say goodbye to them. Prolific little things!
    Then I'm hoping to make good use of the free mulch/wood-chip pile at the community stores too.

Had one of those 'cringe' conversations yesterday with another plot holder who asked me when I'd got the plot, and how I was getting on to which i had to reply 2 1/2 years. He gave me a bit of a look - which was either 'you'd be better off giving up girl' or 'i'd have had this done in a fortnight'....

Right time to pack a flask!

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Reading all your posts with envy! I'm moving house so haven't been able to grow veg this year other than strawberries and the usual fruit trees. Hopefully I should have a garden to get back on track with by 2018!

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 18,078 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Just about to be overrun with tomatoes (the pick now or fall off and rot time of year). Made some spicy relish with a kilo of the little blighters today. I'm waiting on my onions etc to show up. In the meantime one of my neglected peppers has finally turned red(ish). Mulched the rhubarb, then started refilling the leaf bin today.
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I've got one of those bug zapper things in my kitchen and I stood my green unripe tomatoes on top of it (it's on the windowsill) and the ones on the zapper are ripening really fast. The ones on the windowsill are still resolutely green! The same with chillies and peppers
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I don't try to rush my green tomatoes, the good ones will last me until xmas
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin