Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,362Posts
    • 278,651Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 39
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 23,212 Posts
    • 90,034 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Grow tunnel was dismantled this weekend, and the chillies were bought home in the hopes of overwintering. I need to get them into bigger pots first off.
    Cut my pumpkins off their vines and have put them up off ground to encourage ripening and keep the rain off - not entirely sure if thats the right thing to do or not LOL

The summer squashes are STILL going, 13 picked yesterday. Next job will be dismantling the pea trellis and digging those plants out, and thinning out my pak choi and choy sum.

My lovely plot neighbour donated me a pond, and I was in the process of digging the hole. I hadnt been up for about 10 or so days, he's done it for me! So I need to get him a little thankyou gift
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl

A basket of Summer Squashes?

When I had a load of chillies to deal with, I dried them by running a triple thread of cotton through the tops and then stringing them up from the pan rack, which is over the radiator and near the boiler, as I rarely have that radiator on. there was plenty of air circulation from the Idiot Cat's frequent expeditions into the garden to check nothing had changed over the last twenty minutes/whether his tabby & white little female friend was visiting him (no working bits on either of them, so no danger of kittens appearing in the shed )

They went a dark red and wrinkly, but were perfectly dry within a short time - I could then use them for cooking by crumbling them, soaking them before chopping or by chucking whole into the pot - and crumbling them gave me nicely dried seeds for reuse. I think they looked quite attractive as well.

The Chard is all beginning to look like something we could get a few meals out of now. It's just got to stop tipping down for long enough to get me outside and sowing the winter crops, as whilst I don't mind a bit of rain, getting drenched within 3 minutes isn't really my idea of fun.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 11-09-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 12th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl - what do you do with all those squash? I have had a similar haul but feel a little inundated!
    Originally posted by Niv
    I consider myself very lucky to live next door to some very nice vegans who have taken 1/3 of what I've had. The majority has been made into soup and is filling up the freezer, 2 or 3 small ones are put into roasted veg mix at last once a week, small diced ones can be thrown into a bolognese mix, shepherds pie, quiche etc. I've been told they are nice raw thinly sliced in salad but we're talking mandolin sliced (unless you have super knife skills) but I've never done that myself.
    They can also be used in breads, much like courgette really. I cant say for definite but spiralized might be an option - 'squashetti'?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Went to garden centre at he weekend. got some sp broccoli, cabbages and leeks to fill the space that the blighted tomatoes had occupied.
    Also they had reduced all their seeds, even the very expensive ones to 50p a packet so I spent ages going through them and bought some for next year. Now I need to go through my seed box and find out what I'm missing before making another trip to the garden centre to see if I can find what I need, it's been a huge saving.

Does anyone know of any seed company that sends out seed potatoes in December as I want to put some earlies under cover but when I enquire they all say they dispatch Feb/Mar.
    Also has anyone had success with growing sweet potatoes, if so which variety have you used. One ankle swells well I eat ordinary potatoes - I broke it as a teenager and it was never set.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    When I had a load of chillies to deal with, I dried them by running a triple thread of cotton through the tops and then stringing them up from the pan rack, which is over the radiator and near the boiler, as I rarely have that radiator on. there was plenty of air circulation from the Idiot Cat's frequent expeditions into the garden to check nothing had changed over the last twenty minutes/whether his tabby & white little female friend was visiting him (no working bits on either of them, so no danger of kittens appearing in the shed )

They went a dark red and wrinkly, but were perfectly dry within a short time - I could then use them for cooking by crumbling them, soaking them before chopping or by chucking whole into the pot - and crumbling them gave me nicely dried seeds for reuse. I think they looked quite attractive as well.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    I love making Ristras (well they're sort of Ristras). I use waxed string and a double loop round the stem. If I'm hanging fresh chillies it's a good idea to go back a couple of days later and tighten the knots as they'll have shrivelled a little by then. If I'm hanging chillies from the Chinese Supermarket then I generally don't need to go back to them
    Last edited by unrecordings; 12-09-2017 at 6:45 PM. Reason: appalling grammar
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Does anyone know of any seed company that sends out seed potatoes in December as I want to put some earlies under cover but when I enquire they all say they dispatch Feb/Mar.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    DT Brown ?
    I usually shop there and so far I'm sure I've been contemplating chitting just after xmas
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 13th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    wilko's has their seed sale on
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 13th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    MissPop
    The last couple of years I've started things (mainly tomatoes and beans) from seed and they've started off strongly, but when I've transplanted them into bigger pots, they've wilted (literally fallen completely flat) and never recovered. Any idea how to avoid this? Should I be using compostable pots and transplant the whole thing so as to not disrupt the roots?
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1080.57/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $115 | Swagbucks - £350
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    DT Brown ?
    I usually shop there and so far I'm sure I've been contemplating chitting just after xmas
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Thanks I'll give them a ring.

Sorted out the main bed in the tunnel, all the tomatoes had blight so they came out the other day to be burnt, I've turned the soil over but it needs a top up of fresh soil. I've erected a frame around the bed and have enough netting to entirely cover it to keep out the rabbits and other small life over the winter. I'm thinking of using it for lettuce, cabbages, sp broccoli, fennel and maybe carrots.

Outside; I've netted the carrots - rabbits again - and started to make a giant cloche with fleece to protect them from the cold. I'm still digging up potatoes to store, I've taken out the sweetcorn as it had finished, I'm now at the stage where I could do with adding muck to the beds as they become empty but there are only so many hours in the day and my turkeys arrived today - they're huge!!!
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Turkeys ?
    I wish. I'd fancied maybe geese, but didn't really feel I had the time & space to devote to them. Spent the last few days removing half a wheelie bins worth of Herb Robert - fortunately it's easy to pull out and it crowds out most other weeds. I'd potted some stray Woodruff last year, so put this back in the space left where the Woodruff should have been growing.
    Gales ripped off a bough from a tree next door and took out my Raspberry plot. At least I'm going to get a bag of chippings out of it. Damage looks fixable though
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 16th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 9,387 Thanks
    tibawo
    I have googled this but does anyone on here have any experience of composting their guinea pigs poo? Can't decide wether to pu it in the compost bin on straight onto ground ready for next spring!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I have googled this but does anyone on here have any experience of composting their guinea pigs poo? Can't decide wether to pu it in the compost bin on straight onto ground ready for next spring!
    Originally posted by tibawo
    No direct experience but a friend of mine does this and she puts pellets straight in, but the bedding goes in the compost

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    The last couple of years I've started things (mainly tomatoes and beans) from seed and they've started off strongly, but when I've transplanted them into bigger pots, they've wilted (literally fallen completely flat) and never recovered. Any idea how to avoid this? Should I be using compostable pots and transplant the whole thing so as to not disrupt the roots?
    Originally posted by MissPop
    Could be a variety of things.... Whats the drainage like in your bigger pots? What soil do you use?

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Friday, spent a few hours up the plot.
    Moved two pallet collar beds which had some very sad looking kale in it. Well 3 plants across 2 beds so decided to get rid of those. Its next to my shed and in the shade of the pear tree. I dug it all out, pulled out lots of raspberry canes that are coming up in places I don't want them, as well as collecting all the windfall pears.
    Decided to use a raised bed frame I had already which is more square (125x125). its had old paper & some cardboard put down to line it, leaf mulch from the fruit trees that I had raked up, and the old foliage from the squashes.

I was working on the idea of 'lasagna' beds. Then yesterday was the annual deep deep clean of the chicken run, which has involved digging the entired thing out. Once dug up, and loose, the soil looks amazing! So that will be the next layer in the bed, followed by some GC compost.

I'm debating having that area as a flower bed for some spring bulbs, as I adore tulips.

The rest of the plot is looking somewhat of a mess - weeds!
    Now is the time however where I can dig more easily as the weather is cooler and the ground is softening up from the rains of late.

My pak choi and choy sum seem to be doing ok, a small amount of nibble damage to a couple. Will need to thin them out shortly.

Next plan after sorting this bed is to start laying some membrane now ready for wood chipping for some pathways.

Happy growing everyone!

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 11,393 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I have one of my beds earmarked just for flowers. Although I have lots of experience with veg, Ive never really grown flowers except for a few bulbs and sweet peas.

I'd ideally like as many bulbs as possible such as tulips and daffs and then Im going to try a few seeds but there is so much choice! I'd love a bed that I can pick some flowers each week or two right from spring through the summer and maybe into autumn.

Hopefully going to get the spring bulbs in over the next few weeks but the rest I find a bit daunting.

Oh well......its all trial and error.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £200.77
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1490.18 miles
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I have one of my beds earmarked just for flowers. Although I have lots of experience with veg, Ive never really grown flowers except for a few bulbs and sweet peas.

I'd ideally like as many bulbs as possible such as tulips and daffs and then Im going to try a few seeds but there is so much choice! I'd love a bed that I can pick some flowers each week or two right from spring through the summer and maybe into autumn.

Hopefully going to get the spring bulbs in over the next few weeks but the rest I find a bit daunting.

Oh well......its all trial and error.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Exactly where my thought process is

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 11,393 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Exactly where my thought process is
    So have you any ideas what you are going to plant? I like irises which I have in another part of the plot but think may be too tall for a bed.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £200.77
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 17,868 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Oh my, a friend gave me masses of pears on Friday evening. I've just peeled, cored and quartered them and bottled them. I need to go out at 1pm as I am on bar duty but they are still in the oven, and I am pottering on here. Come on clock... I love preserving things in old ways!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 11,393 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Well I took a detour to wilkos after my step class this morning to look at their seed sale. Couldnt find any at all looking around so I spent the money I had on a selection of bulbs, daffs, narcissus (white and yellow) and tulips oh and some anemones.
    Just as I got through the till.................there was the seed sale behind the tills.

Oh well I dont really know what Im short of so will have to go through my seeds and return over next few days with some more pennies.
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 17th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    MissPop
    Could be a variety of things.... Whats the drainage like in your bigger pots? What soil do you use?
    The bigger pots are just larger versions of the small ones, drainage seems fine. I normally start the seeds off in seed compost and then transplant them into multi purpose compost. It's just weird because they wilt within minutes practically, and however much light and water they get they never seem to recover
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1080.57/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $115 | Swagbucks - £350
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 17,868 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Originally posted by MissPop
    How many leaves before you transplant them?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin