Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,466Posts
    • 278,350Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
Page 38
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Think we had a very mild frost this morning

Cleared the rest of my peas this afternoon
    Hopefully harvesting fennel seeds - looks like a few might be ready
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 3rd Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Birthday yesterday 3 score plus 10, I was asked what I wanted so I said memories. To be honest I thought he had forgotten (not the first time) as nothing emerged over breakfast, however at 11am a strange woman arrived called Mary.

I had been moaning over the last few months that the veg/fruit plot was getting out of hand - too many weeds, too much to do even though I call it my hobby. I have been so busy this year, all I'm doing on the plot is harvesting but I need to get the winter veg in.

Mary is going to get my plot sorted starting with the fruit cage. She was found through a group called 'Local Treasures'. It isn't like employing a gardener, they are a group of 50yrs+ that do specific jobs and her remit is to get the plot back into order with an option of doing it again a couple of times next year.

I can't explain just how fantastic this is - it couldn't have been a better present, much better than my usual piece of bling. I'm quite enthused again but today it's - jet washing and steaming a turkey house that holds 100 birds - that's what I call work.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 277.53/300 £22.47 left
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 3rd Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    MissPop
    Aww, what a lovely gift Zafiro! Sounds like everyone involved is a winner there

I've been weighing things as I harvest them, as I love to see how much I can get compared to the cost of the plants - I got a total of 1.7kg of French beans from 6 dwarf plants! Happy with that, I probably planted them a bit close for comfort I've also had 6kg of tomatoes from 6 plants, although at least another kg must have gone in the garden waste bag as they'd been eaten/rotted But there's another 1.5kg, I reckon, still on the vines waiting to ripen And my crystal lemon cukes are going bonkers
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £963.88/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $105 | Swagbucks - £300
    Prolific Academic - £230.54 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 3rd Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    unrecordings
    My first year in this garden, I went berzerk with a spreadsheet and had to weigh everything that came into the kitchen. I don't bother with that anymore apart from the odd check - 5.3kg of Red Duke of York potatoes a couple of weeks ago. I picked my only three damsons today before the squirrels had a go. I think it was a little early, but better than having nothing.

Turns out I was mistaken on the fennel seed front, it was my lovage next to it that was ready - so I picked those instead. Apparently there's something alcoholic you can do with lovage seeds, and I've got a lot of them...
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 5th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 8,471 Posts
    • 17,603 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Didnt make it up the plot this weekend as DH has now left for 3 months of residential training so its just me, DS, dog and 4 chickens and being a non driver, I have to be fully committed to trekking DS and I there LOL

Hopefully though this will mean that the seedlings that were just coming up will be further along to allow me to weed and thin them. I need true leaves showing clearly to know I'm pulling out the right thing.
    Will also need to clear out the growhouse. I'm very tempted to dismantle it, as I can see the winds destroying it and sending it off to Oz as the weather turns. That might be a job for this weekend.
    I'll bring home the chilli plants that are currently in there, and attempt to over winter them. They could do with being in bigger pots too so be a good time to move them over?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 5th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 4,785 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Birthday yesterday 3 score plus 10, I was asked what I wanted so I said memories. To be honest I thought he had forgotten (not the first time) as nothing emerged over breakfast, however at 11am a strange woman arrived called Mary.

I had been moaning over the last few months that the veg/fruit plot was getting out of hand - too many weeds, too much to do even though I call it my hobby. I have been so busy this year, all I'm doing on the plot is harvesting but I need to get the winter veg in.

Mary is going to get my plot sorted starting with the fruit cage. She was found through a group called 'Local Treasures'. It isn't like employing a gardener, they are a group of 50yrs+ that do specific jobs and her remit is to get the plot back into order with an option of doing it again a couple of times next year.

I can't explain just how fantastic this is - it couldn't have been a better present, much better than my usual piece of bling. I'm quite enthused again but today it's - jet washing and steaming a turkey house that holds 100 birds - that's what I call work.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    A belated Happy Birthday to you!! What a lovely lovely present!!
    I always think something like that is much more welcome and remembered than the run of the mill present.

I have a birthday coming up at end of the month and I am thinking of asking for a pear tree.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £167.45
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1452.69 miles
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 5th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    [QUOTE=Kantankrus Mare;73081211
    I have a birthday coming up at end of the month and I am thinking of asking for a pear tree. [/QUOTE]

Now that's a great idea although I've never had success with them.

Have you considered an apricot tree. Depends where you are in the country but down here in the south they are quite hardy.
    There was one bred/found in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire which is 'up north' from here so they are not as exotic as you would first think.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 05-09-2017 at 7:05 PM. Reason: typo
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 5th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 4,785 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Now that's a great idea although I've never had success with them.

Have you considered an apricot tree. Depends where you are in the country but down here in the south they are quite hardy.
    There was one bred/found in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire which is 'up north' from here so they are not as exotic as you would first think.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Im up north....lincolnshire so maybe not a good idea. A few of the plots near me have pears growing and they seem to do quite well.

Just been to plot to water greenhouse and picked another load of toms. Have been making them into a sauce to go on my homemede pizzas so another batch will be heading into freezer.

My sweet peppers havent done brilliantly and wondering whether to not bother with them next year.

Chilli peppers doing well though so will have to have a look at chilli jam.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £167.45
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1452.69 miles
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 5th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    downshifted
    Unripe butternut squash
    One of our squash has a split in it.... weird heavy rain followed by dry spells I guess. So I've picked it. Do you think it is ok to eat the good bits, even though it's not yet ripe?
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • Niv
    • By Niv 7th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Niv
    Tomato's mainly failed this year. I haven't had as much time to spend outside as I would like.

I have green fruits going brown and the leaves are also dying off. Any ideas what caused this? I keep them in growbags and feed them weekly - my suspicion is they have got waterlogged at some point.

On the positive note I have tonnes of courgette and summer squash, they have loved all this rain one day sun the next!
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 7th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    tibawo

On the positive note I have tonnes of courgette and summer squash, they have loved all this rain one day sun the next!
    Originally posted by Niv

I was just saying to my mum that it's just flowered again and some more are growing. I have had an endless supply from this plant. Quite nice as only me likes it at our house!

Am also asking for ideas. As you may remember i inherited an overgrown plot which had some plastic bins in full of weird and wonderful things. I thought once i got round to emptying them i would use them as water butts as we don't have a 'mains' supply on the allotment.

One bin has a small crack in which can be easily sealed... any recommendations as to what to use?

Second is fine and catching the rain slowly but surely.

The third has three holes in the bottom like you would in a plant pot. I would use it as an additional compost bin but have inherited these already. What do I grow in it? It is about a metre high and I would say about a 70cm diameter. I am thinking of annual flowers to brighten the plot/aid pollination, put my rhubarb in that has yet to be homed or my fuchsia plant that gives off edible berries . Any other suggestions?
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 22,947 Posts
    • 88,520 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Tomato's mainly failed this year. I haven't had as much time to spend outside as I would like.

I have green fruits going brown and the leaves are also dying off. Any ideas what caused this? I keep them in growbags and feed them weekly - my suspicion is they have got waterlogged at some point.

Originally posted by Niv

Blight. It's carried in the air and happens with warm and damp conditions.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Niv
    • By Niv 8th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Niv
    Blight. It's carried in the air and happens with warm and damp conditions.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

Ahh right, thanks. Never got that when I lived in town.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Morning all. Weather looks as if it may have cheered up a bit so I'm feeling enthused.
    Going to spend as much time on the plot today as I can plus I need to go to the garden centre for a few bits and pieces. They should have their seeds reduced by now so I may have a look for some of next years seeds.

Wishing all a happy and dry gardening day
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 47,360 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello all. I have been harvesting courgettes,chard,spinach,chillies, peppers and tomatoes this morning. Have also had a tidy in the greenhouse and planted some pots of herbs to grow in there over the winter and some winter lettuces in my new raised planter in the garden. Still lots of tidying and weeding to do. It's pouring with rain now and I have to go out so hope I can carry on tomorrow.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) September £409.15 Total £8409.15/£12000

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    'Dry gardening day' well that was a hollow laugh. I was busy weeding where the onions had been when the heavens opened and I had to make a dash into the tunnel. thunder and lightening but at least I managed to get one of the tunnel beds sorted.
    Took out all the spent sweetcorn, 2 cucumbers but laid the one left down and covered over the stems with soil so they will root and possibly give me some more cucs.
    Some of the peppers/chillies have become top heavy and fallen over so I rescued what I could and tied them back onto the supports, the branches that had fallen off I put over a wire frame so they will ripen.
    Decided to collect more tomatoes from the other tunnel but when I opened the door horror of horrors they had blight, the foliage was black and dying - they were fine a couple of days before, so I collected the ripe toms and tomorrow I shall take out all the affected toms and put them to burn.
    I'm a bit upset at losing them but I'll have a clear bed to plant some sprouting broccoli, cabbages and kale before the weather gets too cold, and the nice thing is because they will all be in the same bed I can cover it to keep the butterflies out.

I'm now on the hunt for autumn planting garlic, shallots and onions, Oh and by the way my Autumn raspberries have just started to fruit, I picked about 300gms today.

Hope the weather is better tomorrow
    • Niv
    • By Niv 11th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Niv
    Been making space for my bee hives this weekend in readiness for moving them to my garden so not so much gardening, more lugging compost and rubble (kindly left by the last owner) from the bottom of the garden. Now I have to decide how to get rid of the rubble now its out the way, about 10 tonnes of it
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 11th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 8,471 Posts
    • 17,603 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Grow tunnel was dismantled this weekend, and the chillies were bought home in the hopes of overwintering. I need to get them into bigger pots first off.
    Cut my pumpkins off their vines and have put them up off ground to encourage ripening and keep the rain off - not entirely sure if thats the right thing to do or not LOL

The summer squashes are STILL going, 13 picked yesterday. Next job will be dismantling the pea trellis and digging those plants out, and thinning out my pak choi and choy sum.

My lovely plot neighbour donated me a pond, and I was in the process of digging the hole. I hadnt been up for about 10 or so days, he's done it for me! So I need to get him a little thankyou gift

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Niv
    • By Niv 11th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Niv
    CAFCGirl - what do you do with all those squash? I have had a similar haul but feel a little inundated!
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 11th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    MissPop
    Another 3kg of tomatoes picked today - that takes my edible crop to 9.2kg I reckon at least 2-3kg has been lost to blight though Any tips on how to avoid it in the future? Is it just a case of not planting in the same soil again next year...?
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £963.88/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $105 | Swagbucks - £300
    Prolific Academic - £230.54 | Valued Opinions - £40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,150Posts Today

6,150Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin