Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,437Posts
    • 278,121Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
Page 34
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I got a cheap battery strimmer from Screwfix (one of their Titan range) a couple of years ago and it's brilliant - very light and great for picking up and just tidying up a spot. Much much better than the 'proper' Black & Decker one which never got used then eventually broke

In other news, onions & shallots are drying in the sun and I found out where the slugs went - hiding inside my Longor shallots, which was unfortunate for them as they pretty much all shrivelled up

Raspberries still being decimated by squirrels, runner beans are just beginning to flower. My little borage patch is also flowering now, this stuff self seeds really well, so I'm hoping it'll be a permanent fixture
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 10th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 8,453 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I have finally managed to pick a crop from something I have actively grown on the allotment!

Sounds laughable but in the previous year most things I've either left too long or theyve failed as a crop/been eaten by something else. The only things I've ever harvested to actually consume are things that were already growing there (fruit trees and bushes).

So I'm suitably chuffed with myself for growing and picking my amethyst french beans (blanched and frozen I might add) an borlotti beans - the simplest of things to grow but its made my weekend LOL

I also came home with a basket full of cooking cherries so today will be pitting those, and cooking them off for jam and a cherry BBQ glaze.

I also have one lone tomato come up in the growhouse and there are also chillies coming through too. My summer squashes seem to be doing very well, and I think I've finally identified another of the Unknown Curcubits that got planted out sans label - butternut squash!

We have been predicted storm and rain today and I am quite literally praying that it actually happens!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 10th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 10,568 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Great feeling isnt it CAFC girl?

My first courgette has appeared and I know from previous experience.........once they start.......they take off massively.

I made rhubarb crumble cupcakes in the week.

Need to have a look at something else to do with rhubarb.

My strawberries have finished rather suddenly but we got loads more than last year. Tomatoes look to be the next glut and my chillies and sweet peppers are getting flowers on them and look really healthy.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £171.60
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1282.95 miles
    • sam.4000
    • By sam.4000 10th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    sam.4000
    Great feeling isnt it CAFC girl?

My first courgette has appeared and I know from previous experience.........once they start.......they take off massively.

I made rhubarb crumble cupcakes in the week.

Need to have a look at something else to do with rhubarb.

My strawberries have finished rather suddenly but we got loads more than last year. Tomatoes look to be the next glut and my chillies and sweet peppers are getting flowers on them and look really healthy.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Rhubarb jam is lovely.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 10th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 10,568 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Rhubarb jam is lovely.
    Originally posted by sam.4000
    Ive never made ANY jam before lol so that would be a challenge. Worth thinking about though.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £171.60
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ive never made ANY jam before lol so that would be a challenge. Worth thinking about though.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Rhubarb and strawberry is really good too. If you do make jam, cut the rhubarb quite short so it isn't strandy. The strawberries stop it being too acid, while the rhubarb makes the strawberries set better than on their own.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 58.88/58.33% including stores after July
    My DFD is here
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 10th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Great to read all the news. Everyone is doing so well. I was down at the plot this morning as it was cooler here and the good news is I have my first tomato - just the one ripe but others will follow shortly. So no tomatoes from the supermarket for months now.

And I have my first handful of runner beans! So exciting - they will be on the menu this evening. Some of the squashes are about 8 inches across - so all good.

I've never grown elephant garlic before and I thought I'd put some in - anyway I'd left some leeks in and thought I'd get them out as I thought they looked a bit odd. And there were the elephant garlic and they are huge! One is 31cm around! Apparently they are best roasted and the pulp spread on some nice bread.

So everything is coming in thick and fast now. Only mushrooms will be bought from the supermarket now. I just hope there are no disasters now - I have to be away for a few days and neighbouring allotmenter is watering the greenhouse for me. Fingers crossed.

I know I talked about it last year - so sorry for repeating but there are newbies on the thread who could benefit. I have a good tip for water cress. If you can get your hands on some fresh (not out of a bag) watercress - take a few pieces and pop them in water for about 3 days. They then develop little roots - pot them up in a loose draining compost. I used a third of perlite in my pots. You will have water cress for the summer. I have 3 pots on the go. Mine were from Ocado (natoora range) but if you have a farm shop near by that would work. The bagged stuff seems to just go soggy. It saves me pounds as I'm a great fan.

Happy growing everyone.
    Last edited by Fruittea; 10-07-2017 at 6:34 PM.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I've got watercress (from seed) - my latest craze, so I'll be forced to buy another salt glazed sink to house it in style (though in my condition when I can barely lift a bucket of water, I'm not sure how I'd manage a 50-100kg sink...)
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    At last, some rain.

Lots of it. Even the windowboxes are feeling heavy, so that's a good sign.

I shall be happy about this and refuse to start thinking about blight for at least two more days.

The Idiot Cat, however, will no doubt disappear into the meadow without a trace in a couple of days, though - nobody ever told me how tall clover could grow if left to its own devices and occasionally rained upon.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 12th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 8,453 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I am beyond relieved that we've finally had some rain here, proper 8 hours long saturating rain. My water butts are filling up very nicely! Hopefully this will tide the allotment over till Friday when we go up.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 12th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning Everyone
    Lovely rain here all night so everything is well watered. That should really bring things along. I'm sure the allotment will be fine CAFCGirl. But the weeds will love it as well.

Isn't it nice to your own watercress Unrecordings. That's the thing about growing your own - no sprays and bagged food which goes off so quickly - just a quick walk around the garden and you have a lovely fresh salad.

I keep a couple of tall, three, tiered planters in the back garden for salads - four different lettuces then a small raised bed for rocket and basil and the other herbs are just planted in with the flowers. Cress, ginger, turmeric and tomatoes in pots and the rest of the big stuff is down the lotty. I'll pop down and check the greenhouse later - hopefully bring back a few more ripe tomatoes.

Also some courgettes and pumpkins on trellis in the front garden. So there's always something around.

Hope the rain is good for everyone.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    At last - the courgette has finally got around to thinking about producing some female shoots.

When they'll turn into flowers, never mind courgettes, I have no idea.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 13th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Are they outdoors courgettes ? My one healthy outdoors one is still 'thinking about it' - whereas my greenhouse ones have produced a few fruit (fruit?) but haven't gone berzerk yet
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. I'm just beginning to get courgettes from my outdoor plants. Of course, they all come at once, so I've had to give some away. Yesterday I had a chicken, courgette and rice concoction and it was delicious.

Peas and strawberries almost finished now, just waiting for the runner beans and tomatoes to be ready to start harvesting. Lots of herbs etc too.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) August £419.52 Total £7419.52/£12000

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Thinking of harvesting all the spinach, lettuces, Broad beans and peas and trying a bit of a re-plant, ahead of us going away for three weeks (I know). DS will be living here, cat-sitting, watering and harvesting. I just know the greenhouse will suffer but he's cheaper than a house-sitter and completely trustworthy. I am thinking that if we minimise the stuff he has to look after, he will do it better. It is an hour a day otherwise and that is a lot for YFS chaps
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 58.88/58.33% including stores after July
    My DFD is here
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 14th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

Not been around much lately, sadly my mum passed away last weekend and I have been away from home most days and often at night looking after my dad, dealing with the endless paperwork and arrangements, so the garden has been a bit neglected. Mum would have given me a right rollicking if I let the garden go so I gave everything a good drenching tonight. It was all bone dry despite some rain yesterday.

I've harvested a few things today, potatoes, courgettes, runner beans, and some more to do tomorrow morning before I am back at my dads.

Hope you are all doing ok, not had a chance to catch up on everyone's posts, but will do when I can x
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 15th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hi all

Not been around much lately, sadly my mum passed away last weekend and I have been away from home most days and often at night looking after my dad, dealing with the endless paperwork and arrangements, so the garden has been a bit neglected. Mum would have given me a right rollicking if I let the garden go so I gave everything a good drenching tonight. It was all bone dry despite some rain yesterday.

I've harvested a few things today, potatoes, courgettes, runner beans, and some more to do tomorrow morning before I am back at my dads.

Hope you are all doing ok, not had a chance to catch up on everyone's posts, but will do when I can x
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    So sorry for your loss. I often think of my late Dad when I am gardening. It still makes him feel closer and over 20 years since we lost him.
    My DFD is here
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Are they outdoors courgettes ? My one healthy outdoors one is still 'thinking about it' - whereas my greenhouse ones have produced a few fruit (fruit?) but haven't gone berzerk yet
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Yes, it's outdoors in a half barrel. I was getting concerned because a friend's allotment is producing vast amounts already - but he is a retired horticultural lecturer (doesn't use conventional pesticides or fertilisers, though), so I am probably being a bit hard on myself for not managing to get things as good as him - and I've just remembered he was given a lot of help because he uses a wheelchair, which included a greenhouse, so he most likely started the plants off in that.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ended up taking the fancy gun attachment off the hosepipe and leaving it to soak each bed and pot whilst I got on with some judicious trimming and pulling out of the largest weeds. Some small child walking past seemed quite amused that I was 'giving those flowers a haircut) - lavender that had gone over - and OH hailed me from the kitchen door with 'Do you know you've got a cat in your windowbox?' - naturally, the answer was 'no, but you hum it and I'll play it', which got me an unsolicited cuppa.

I also discovered a drillhole in the wall, which conveniently took a vine eye, so the honeysuckle out the front got tied in, which now frees off enough space in one of the window boxes for the remains of a supermarket basil - and another variety of mint to be very carefully coralled away from the wild.

Unfortunately, I've also discovered that the now ex-lodger's parting gift to me was sticking too much heavy stuff on the washing line, which is was attached to the shed (and been perfectly adequate for myself and the OH's washing needs throughout the time he's been here).

I now have to navigate a thriving pyracantha and two occupied bee hotels to nail half the shed back together.

But the two sweetcorn plants look quite sturdy at around the four foot level - they've finally got above the height of the red clover.

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 16th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 10,568 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Smeeinnit............So sorry for your loss. Xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,512Posts Today

6,364Users online

Martin's Twitter