Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,437Posts
    • 278,121Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
Page 31
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 16th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,900 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Major score in Waitrose this morning, peas in lovely cane wigwam baskets previously £8 down to 99p I bought 4 pots with peas in them and two wigwam baskets that were empty (49 p). Bought them home gave the peas a good water and put Black-eye Susans in the other two- job's a good un!

I picked my first raspberries today plus plenty of strawberries and redcurrants.
    Mortgage House £173,000 July17th 2016.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 17th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,900 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Picked raspberries, red currants and strawberries got them straight into the freezer - it's officially glut time - deep joy!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 17th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Not a great deal to report, it's chemo week which is akin to having a very very very bad hangover (without so much of the headache). Not seen too many slugs, but I had taken to putting courgette and other spent flower heads close to where badgers come into the garden so that is probably helping.

Two out of my three cherry tomatoes have now germinated - which is at least a month too late

My 'isn't nature wonderful' moment for this week: My shallots have split - now I understand...
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    Jazee
    Unrecordings - think of it as take it easy week. Hugs.

Today I shall potter in the garden. Lots of tidying to do after the high winds last week and LittleyDog managed to destroy a pot holding a Russian vine, so I'll need to repot that even though it's growing up a trellis, so won't be easy.

Will harvest and freeze my spinach.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) August £419.52 Total £7419.52/£12000

• Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Well it's too hot for me. So a quick feed of the tomatoes this morning and I'm back in the shade. I have 16 in tubs outside and 6 in the greenhouse! Think I'm a tomato addict.

Sorry to hear about your chemo Unrecordings - you take it easy - the garden will take care of it's self. I must check my shallots when I pop down to the allotment. Blessings coming your way.

It's amazing how quickly things catch up with the summer heat.
    Well done with the bargains tootallulah - great find.

Good luck with the vine I'm sure it will be fine Jazee. I managed to kick over a pot of peas this morning. I only have a tiny garden and the patio is stacked with things - I hardly have any space to sit - I really must have a clear out.

The worst thing is people always seem to want to give me plants. Last week a neighbour turned up with a tray of nicotina and some morning glory and then a friend asked me to adopt her blueberry plant (which she was torturing!) In just a week it looks happier - potted on in a big pot with the right soil.

Oh well musn't grumble - I should pop down to the allotment just to check the greenhouse.
    Thoughts are with all you growers.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,602 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Hi everyone,
    Just come in from the plot, so hot out there.

I've just dug up the autumn planted onions which should last until the main ones are ready this September. Also picked a couple of kohl rabi to go in the salad tonight, plus salad leaves. The rabbits have found the kohl rabi leaves but not the bulbs so I've covered them up with fleece hoping to save the un-nibbled bulbs. The JRT caught a rabbit on the plot early this morning but where there is one there are usually several so I need to be on my guard. Netted the doors to the tunnels and greenhouse as I don't want anything eaten in there.

Planted out more fennel and the second batch of sweetcorn seeds are just showing, plus some more alderman peas and the outside carrots are also starting to germinate, they should be ready October onwards. It seems unbelievable but the longest day of the year is in four days time and then the nights start to draw in

This year and for the very first time I'm only growing what we eat. It seems strange not to grow more than 10 runner bean plants, but I'm hoping that will be enough for the two of us. So today besides the onions, salad leaves and kohl rabi I also picked dwarf beans, radishes, raspberries strawberries the first courgette and the smallest/thinnest of cucumbers.

Just going to light the barbecue, should be ready to cook on in about an hour.
    Aug Grocery £250, total spent 247.65 21/8/17
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 17th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Not many beans left, thanks to the invisible molluscs.

Watching the courgette plant with suspicious eyes - there are buds forming, so I am still hopeful.

Lost the camomiles, too. And it looks like the peas didn't make it through the tornado. All the leaves and radishes have bolted, too.

However, the rest of the herbs seem quite happy, there are still some tiny chards hanging on by a thread, the raspberries are stepping up production and the blackberry is in full blossom. At present, the birds haven't noticed the handful of cherries ripening, either.

The remainder of potential and actual successes appear to be the nasturtiums, borage and, if we're lucky, a few broad beans. Oh, and there appears to be a few sweetcorn trying to emerge from the woodland area and some beetroot leaves looking strong underneath the nasturtiums.

The ladybirds are increasing in numbers and it appears that the leafcutter bees are back and investigating their two houses, looking for empty properties amongst those already taken by the masons.

It's certainly not as successful as I'd hoped this season would be.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 18th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Oh it's so hot. Just watered the garden. But everything is torch dry. I don't like to be seen watering really but sometimes you just have to.
    Swapped one of my Tigerella tomatoes for a Dhailia with a neighbour today. Well I have quite a few tomatoes as you know.
    We have another 4 days of this heat - so pace yourselves.
    I'll pop down to the allotment tomorrow lunch time but expect a bit of bolting!
    JoJo throw in some more peas -they'll be fine.
    Well done to you Zafiro but I don't think I could bare the heat of a bbq at the mo. But I am a bit of a ginger!
    Happy growing everyone.

• tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 18th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,900 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Just got in from watering the tomatoes and veg, everything else will have to manage as it seems pointless unless I can thoroughly drench everything
    and it seems early in a heat wave to do that. Picking raspberries twice a day and freezing them I don't seem to fancy eating them at the minute! I have stripped one redcurrant bush the others are a couple of weeks behind. Picked a few sweet peas this morning - they are looking good.

JoJo, I agree chuck in some beans too, plenty of time.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 8,453 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hello all,

Not much to report here.
    Feel rather lack lustre and 'missed the boat' in terms of getting things in and producing. So much still needs doing on the plot and its run away from me again. I really may have to pay someone to come and work it all over for me

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    way too hot here
    ventured out after the sun had gone down yesterday to do a little watering
    need to sort out my waterbutt system - there's a missing link in the chain and i've just about emptied the one that's easiest to get to

hopefully will cool down tomorrow, then i've got cornflower to repot, beans to plant out, peppers to put in my last growbag, probably need to refill the pond...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Just watered everything in the greenhouse - the pot of sorrel is my early warning system when things need water! Picked a few courgettes - going to look up recipes involving spinach and courgettes I think!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 58.88/58.33% including stores after July
    My DFD is here
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 19th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hello all,

Not much to report here.
    Feel rather lack lustre and 'missed the boat' in terms of getting things in and producing. So much still needs doing on the plot and its run away from me again. I really may have to pay someone to come and work it all over for me
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl

Hi CAFCGirl sorry to hear that things have run away again. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that. Why don't you cover a bit of it up if it's getting too much. Is it just the weeding?

It's not too late for lot's of things. And maybe you could grown lots of pumpkins to cover weeds.

I thought you were moving over to raised beds with the pallet collars. Perhaps tell us some more - we might have suggestions. Also I thought you drew up a plan - it might help to break it down a little on here.
    Hope you manage to turn things around.

It was so hot at the allotment all I did was water the greenhouse. I cut some more artichokes, cucumber and gherkins and peas. Also brought back some raspberries, loganberries, rhubarb and gooseberries. Better get started on them.
    Keep cool everyone.

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,602 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    So hot here, watered greenhouse and tunnels. No sign of any more rabbit damage since I netted the tunnel doors.

Weeded the onion patch, the main carrots have germinated which is good but I'm still waiting for the parsnips to show, maybe they wont as its almost a fortnight since I sowed them. Not to worry as I can use their bed for leeks as I use loads over the winter. Picked a few raspberries but they didn't make it indoors, some radishes, salad leaves and peas.

barbecue again tonight
    Aug Grocery £250, total spent 247.65 21/8/17
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 8,453 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hi CAFCGirl sorry to hear that things have run away again. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that. Why don't you cover a bit of it up if it's getting too much. Is it just the weeding?

It's not too late for lot's of things. And maybe you could grown lots of pumpkins to cover weeds.

I thought you were moving over to raised beds with the pallet collars. Perhaps tell us some more - we might have suggestions. Also I thought you drew up a plan - it might help to break it down a little on here.
    Hope you manage to turn things around.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Well plans are all well and good if you actually 'do' stuff to make the plan happen. With this glorious weather and my sun allergy, I cant be out in it for very long plus its too hot to do hard manual labour, such as the digging out thats required.
    My plot has a slight slope and god knows what the chap did before me but parts of it are lower than the site pathways so it needs bulking up but I cant really afford to buy bags of compost, my 'compost area' on site is basically just brambles, bindweed etc so not really much good to put back on. I dont drive so cant go collecting free manure even when I do find it....

Ive covered up quite a few large areas but I might need to cover an even greater area.... my deadline I gave to myself for getting it sorted is fast approaching and whilst I've made some good progress, its just not moving at the pace I'd like/need to avoid getting booted off site.

• Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 20th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    Fruittea
    I really feel for you CAFCGirl. I only have a strip - not a full allotment so I can imagine it's tough. And when you take over from someone with different ideas it's like having to rework the lot!

I know you're worried about loosing the plot so you might need to take some drastic action. Could you nuke half of it with chemicals as a one off - and then cover it with either cardboard or materials depending on your budget. You could ask friendly neighbours to bring some along every time they visit the allotment and leave it for you. They will see you are struggling and most people would want to help as no one wants to see an allotment fail.

There's still time to plant up a pumpkin bed which would grow over or cover some of the brambled area and just keep a couple of the pallet collar beds going with salads for the moment and then think about plans for over wintering some greens and think about next year. This might get you through any inspection as the plot would look worked.

Is there access to your plot for a lorry - if so you could buy in 900 kilos of top soil and get it delivered to the plot. Here's a link to the people I use.

http://www.compostdirect.com/multi-purpose-topsoil/p17

The topsoil costs £78.95 and they do compost to - the price does depend on your post code. I buy in bulk as I grow a lot of plants for others and it works out half the price of the garden centres.

The temperatures are I going down on Sunday and will be around 19 degree on Monday - so you might feel a bit better about being outside then. I don't know if you work but perhaps you could take a couple of days off when it's cooler and have a go then. It would be such a shame to give it up.

Another question - do you have plenty of seeds? I'm sure for the price of a stamp many of us on here would be happy to contribute seeds.

Also wondering if you have any neighbours on the plot with a rotivator - you could ask them to run over the plot next year - maybe you'll have to pay them (as I did) but I think it was about 2 hours work to do the lot.

All the best to everyone - we all struggle at times.

• smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 20th Jun 17, 12:54 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

Thoughts with everyone struggling with heat, crop failures or motivation failures.

Not much done here as it was way too hot to do anything other than water and harvest a few bits Sunday and Monday. Its only 27 degrees today (only!) so feels a bit more comfortable. Might do a bit of light pottering shortly.

Some successes so far are courgettes - going like the clappers. Picked my first cucumber yesterday more strawberries by the day, lettuce going bonkers, runner beans starting to set.

Problems: I think I have some early blight on my Kestrel potatoes need to check if anything can be done to save the plants. I haven't planted all of my maincrops out yet so if it is the worst ie I have to bin them, then I have some back ups.

Not too many problems with slugs at the moment, but I do have at least 4 hedgehogs visiting the garden nightly so they must be eating a lot of them.

Take care all in this weather
    Last edited by smeeinnit; 20-06-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: missed out an entire word :/
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 20th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    well I came back from my holiday to find that my dear husband had not seen the cabbages and pak choi were being eaten alive by cabbage white caterpillars. I know he's short sighted but..... Needless to say they have all had to go. I did think growing veg in pots was going to be problem but the OH doesn't eat any veg or salad at all so is loathe for me to dig up the garden for a veggie patch. Anyway on the plus side, my tomatoes are going great guns as is my cucumber and butternut squash. Nothing to eat but salad leaves so far but I've planted a good variety and the flowers I grew from seed are now all planted out and were doing well before this heatwave. Sadly the delphiniums don't seem to have survived the wind then rain and now blazing sunshine but the lupins are coming along in the greenhouse. Got to pot out the last of my marigolds and wild flowers but I just can't bare the heat of the greenhouse again just yet. Watering early morning before it gets too hot and again before bed. Sat out in the garden until 11pm last night. Felt positively tropical. Enjoy your gardens/plots
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 20th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Nice and cool here today. dragged my myself outside and (with help) planted some runner beans (I forget the make, I usually go for enorma - which these aren't). I've got some spares, let's see what happens. Slow start to the outdoors courgettes, but the greenhouse courgettes are also going like the clappers - I've three good ones in the space of a few days.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 21st Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 8,453 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I really feel for you CAFCGirl. I only have a strip - not a full allotment so I can imagine it's tough. And when you take over from someone with different ideas it's like having to rework the lot!

I know you're worried about loosing the plot so you might need to take some drastic action. Could you nuke half of it with chemicals as a one off - and then cover it with either cardboard or materials depending on your budget. You could ask friendly neighbours to bring some along every time they visit the allotment and leave it for you. They will see you are struggling and most people would want to help as no one wants to see an allotment fail.

I am very loathed to use chemicals, but I think I will have to strim close to ground and then cover. I do have a large piece of membrane that should cover a good bit. I was planning on the newspaper and cardboard method for much of it and attempting the no dig method.

There's still time to plant up a pumpkin bed which would grow over or cover some of the brambled area and just keep a couple of the pallet collar beds going with salads for the moment and then think about plans for over wintering some greens and think about next year. This might get you through any inspection as the plot would look worked.
    Yes I think I am definitely going to do this over a nice 3x3m area

Is there access to your plot for a lorry - if so you could buy in 900 kilos of top soil and get it delivered to the plot. Here's a link to the people I use.
    Its right on a residential street, houses on one side and the allotment on the other so they can deliver roadside/by the gate and I'd have to do bucket trips/wheelbarrow down the steps from the gate to my plot which isnt too dreadful in all honesty just longwinded but thats about the best price Ive seen for buying any in. Thankyou for posting that. I think I will just bite the bullet and order some next month

http://www.compostdirect.com/multi-purpose-topsoil/p17

The topsoil costs £78.95 and they do compost to - the price does depend on your post code. I buy in bulk as I grow a lot of plants for others and it works out half the price of the garden centres.

The temperatures are I going down on Sunday and will be around 19 degree on Monday - so you might feel a bit better about being outside then. I don't know if you work but perhaps you could take a couple of days off when it's cooler and have a go then. It would be such a shame to give it up.

I dont work (makes it even worse really) but I do have a 7 year old who we home educate who isnt all that entertained by the allotment. But I will need to assign some days to get a good chunk of work done in the same manner as if I was working full time I think

Another question - do you have plenty of seeds? I'm sure for the price of a stamp many of us on here would be happy to contribute seeds.
    That is probably the one thing I do have in bucketloads

Also wondering if you have any neighbours on the plot with a rotivator - you could ask them to run over the plot next year - maybe you'll have to pay them (as I did) but I think it was about 2 hours work to do the lot.

Bindweed is a huge problem on our site so rotivating it would probably just make the problem worse for myself in months to come

All the best to everyone - we all struggle at times.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Thankyou for your post Fruittea
    It can just be incredibly overwhelming, and I guess I had such big visions for it this year that I feel disappointed in myself. Onward and upward though, the weekend looks cool and the DH can childwatch so I can hang out at the plot - should rain too hopefully

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

8,492Users online

Martin's Twitter