Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,358Posts
    • 277,480Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
Page 30
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 8th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Well I came back off my almost 2 weeks away to find the allotment covered in weeds Dad tried to get most days to water but "forgot" about the strawberries in the greenhouse and they have nearly died off. In his defense......he built a structure around the three beds of outside strawberries to keep the birds off..........only thing is........he has built it so well.....I cant get in to pick the dam things! I just normally throw a net over and hold it down with bricks but nooooooooooo he has to do a "proper" job.

Had two days down there and seem to have got it all tidied again.
    Much to his disdain......I filled my 3 half planters that are on my shed and an old hanging basket with bedding plants. It looks lovely but he thinks its a waste of time. I dont care!!

Only 2 of my courgette plants have survived.
    Tomatoes and cucumber doing well and onions are thriving.
    My carrots never did anything so will have to have another go.
    Spinach healthy and planted out as are my french beans.
    Potted all my bell peppers and chilli plants on today into final pots so hoping for a good crop off those.
    Does anyone grow pea shoots? *I vaguely remember reading you can just buy cheap dried peas and they grow easily. Nice to add to salads so will have to look into that.

Happy gardening everyone. Lets hope for some sun to ripen all those strawberries.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £76.95
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....869.49 miles
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I've grown dried peas before (Leo's in fact) - I'm going to pop some more out in the coming days as my Maro peas failed to germinate - all of them (and no suspicious holes either). Any tasty cherry tomato variety recommendations ?
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 15,710 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I've grown dried peas before (Leo's in fact) - I'm going to pop some more out in the coming days as my Maro peas failed to germinate - all of them (and no suspicious holes either). Any tasty cherry tomato variety recommendations ?
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Sungold F1 hybrid is a small, sweet, delicious orange cherry tomato. I highly recommend it.

I'm also growing black cherry, and black russian (for colour and prolific yield respectively) - and costaluto genovese for culinary use (Italian plum/beefsteak cross)
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £4340.03/£4583.33 (39.45%/41.66%) after May - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 40.12/41.67% including stores after May
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Thanks for the recommendation. I can't get to a nursery until Monday, and I'm still flip flopping between tomato/pepper/courgette, so we'll see what happens over the weekend - nice and sunny here this morning
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 15,710 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Right! Need to finally plant up my tomatoes, chillies and aubergines
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £4340.03/£4583.33 (39.45%/41.66%) after May - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 40.12/41.67% including stores after May
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 10th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 16,358 Posts
    • 277,480 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I had the first raspberries yesterday
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 10th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 16,358 Posts
    • 277,480 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I've been picking strawberries every other day for the last couple of weeks yesterday I came home with enough for the first pot of jam

I've been coming home with red currants too and they've been going in the freezer ready for red currant jelly when there is enough

Wind wise this week I don't think we've done as badly as others - a mini tornado seems to have whipped through Plot B right through my gooseberries and potatoes. All my onions are bent over so we are going to sort those out over the weekend. We need to pull the garlic up at both plots because of rust.

A couple of beetroot are ready to pull too

We had the first Rocket potatoes a couple of weeks ago from one of the pots in the garden. The taste was absolutely out of this world so we will definitely be doing lots of those next year!

This time of year keeps me very busy but i absolutely love it!

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Too early for raspberries here - probably still 3-4 weeks away. Outdoors courgettes surviving so far, I pulled apart an old coconut basket liner (nesting birds had already made a start on that) and used it as matting for under the courgettes, seems ideal against slugs too but it's way too expensive to use. And as for the spare growbag dilemma, one single Christmas Grape cherry tomato popped a couple of leaves up overnight - it's got a LOT of catching up to do
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 10th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 16,358 Posts
    • 277,480 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Pulled up 30 odd garlic today cos they all had rust need to go pull the other lot tomorrow. First lot of strawberry jam done

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,304 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I have been quite busy over the last few days.

Strawberries have finished in the tunnel so I have started to move them outside before I decide whether or not to bin them and buy in some fresh runners as they weren't so good this year.

Sowed a second batch of sweetcorn, the first lot is growing well.
    Sowed more peas and still more to do. The mangetout have just started to crop. All the climbing beans are now outside and we had our first taste of the dwarf ones today.

I've a load of overwntered onions ready so I will take those up over the next couple of days. The don't keep well but there is enough to last until the ordinary ones are ready in September.
    Potted on some celery. Peppers and aubergines are in their final beds but I still have the tomatoes to deal with.

Courgettes are outside but I've had to start the squash again as something has taken a liking to it. Kohl rabi is about the size of a cherry tomato so they should be ready in about another month. Pak Choi started to bolt and flower so the chickens have have had a treat today.

All in all I'm quite happy with how things are but time marches on and I suppose next month I'll start to think about starting off the winter stuff.

Have a good day tomorrow, we have friends coming in the afternoon so I suppose little will get done.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 46,462 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello all. Lovely to hear what you're all growing.

I am excited today as I have a new fruit cage to put up, am roping DH in with that.

Need to pull up some salad leaf which is bolting and plant some more spinach etc. Finally have some flowers on the tomatoes but they're leaning over at the moment because of the high winds. When it's calm again, I'll redo their frame.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)June £50 Total £5050.26/£12000

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    unrecordings
    My (greenhouse) tomatoes are just starting to set. I was going to pick garlic scapes today, when I realised that the 'garlic' was actually radar onions. So after a quick google, they're coming off tomorrow and going in the lasagna. No sign of scapes on the actual hardneck garlic though.
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 13th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    MissPop
    Has anyone got any tips for keeping aphids off my salads? I've got a glut of spinach and cut and come again lettuce because every time I want to use them, I have to spend ages washing them and checking every leaf for the little @!?%$s! It's putting me right off
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £761.42/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $65 | Swagbucks - £200
    Prolific Academic - £164.41 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 13th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,613 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi MissPop Aphids are a real problem and I'm also suffering from red mite in the greenhouse and lots of blackfly on the broadbeans and the artichokes. I've mixed up a batch of neem oil and given them a spray. I'll spray them again in 5 days and see how they go.

I also drop the lettuce in a bowl of salty water as soon as I get them home - that seems to get rid of them. Nothing worse than opening the fridge and finding the little blighters.

Growingwise things are doing very well. And I've only had to buy peppers and mushrooms this week. The tomatoes are all flowering and I've got lots of little cucumbers and the peas are lovely - had a whole cooked portion last night - also seeing some fruit setting on the squashes.
    I've grown a brassica called Brokali this and can highly recommend it. It's a cross between broccali and kale and it's very tender and sweet. Will grow again.

I've also re-sown the orientals and some French beans for succession. Just a question of keeping it going now.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 13th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    MissPop
    Hi MissPop Aphids are a real problem and I'm also suffering from red mite in the greenhouse and lots of blackfly on the broadbeans and the artichokes. I've mixed up a batch of neem oil and given them a spray. I'll spray them again in 5 days and see how they go.

I also drop the lettuce in a bowl of salty water as soon as I get them home - that seems to get rid of them. Nothing worse than opening the fridge and finding the little blighters.

Growingwise things are doing very well. And I've only had to buy peppers and mushrooms this week. The tomatoes are all flowering and I've got lots of little cucumbers and the peas are lovely - had a whole cooked portion last night - also seeing some fruit setting on the squashes.
    I've grown a brassica called Brokali this and can highly recommend it. It's a cross between broccali and kale and it's very tender and sweet. Will grow again.

I've also re-sown the orientals and some French beans for succession. Just a question of keeping it going now.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Ooh, I'd forgotten about neem oil, I'll have to give it a go! And I'd never heard of using salt water - sounds intriguing Thanks for the tips

2017 totals
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 14th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Salt water is also great for evicting any bugs on soft fruit
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 14th Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    MissPop
    Salt water is also great for evicting any bugs on soft fruit
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    That's awesome - I think anything with a passenger is getting a salt water bath before it goes in my kitchen

2017 totals
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 22,354 Posts
    • 85,443 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    That's awesome - I think anything with a passenger is getting a salt water bath before it goes in my kitchen
    Originally posted by MissPop
    Judging by the three massive ginger slugs the Idiot Cat came in with attached to his coat last night (so the git's been thundering around the veggies again ), maybe this should apply to anybody, as well as anything....
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 15th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    MissPop
    Judging by the three massive ginger slugs the Idiot Cat came in with attached to his coat last night (so the git's been thundering around the veggies again ), maybe this should apply to anybody, as well as anything....
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Hurrrgggghh! (I do love the sound of your Idiot Cat though )

I tried the salt water trick earlier and it worked a treat - I picked some lettuce and spinach for a BBQ salad and my (very non-greenfingered) sister was so impressed I'd grown it all!

I'm going to treat myself to a salad spinner tomorrow

2017 totals
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,613 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning Every
    The slugs are out in force aren't they. I always have problems but try to get around the worst of it by planting plenty of cheap lettuces around anything I want to protect and use them as a sacrifice. I also save all egg shells and bake them ( just leave them in the oven for 10 minutes when I'm cooking something else) then break them into tiny pieces and pile them up around plants. Seems to work quite well.

MissPop I have this salad spinner: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Salad-Spinner/dp/B009KCFHAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497598752&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+salad+spinner

It's massive with a 26cm diameter but it has a really strong basket so you can collect veg in it and rinse it of and then fill the outer bowl for a salt soak and then drain and rinse the lot. It does take up a big space in the kitchen though.

Plenty of veg for me at the mo so I have only bought in tomatoes this week. I see the first toms on the plants in the greenhouse - so it wont be long until I have those to.

I'm really enjoying the artichokes - feeling quite posh having them for lunch as a starter. The gooseberries are just starting to ripen - I had some early ones yesterday - cooked for two minutes in the microwave with some sugar sprinkled over them and then mixed into some creme fresh. Really lovely!
    Happy growing.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter