Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,366Posts
    • 278,689Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 24
    • LoveKnittingSocks
    • By LoveKnittingSocks 16th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    LoveKnittingSocks
    Good evening!

The rain has been relentless here for the last couple of days but the sun finally showed its face this afternoon. My little container garden is going mad, and I'm amazed at how quickly things grow once they get started. My potato plants are huge and I think I've spotted a few flower buds - I'm really excited.

I've planted more onions, spring onions and lettuce, two more potato bags (slightly smaller) and some more basil. I've ordered some radish seeds and a blueberry bush which haven't arrived yet - I'm hoping they'll be here by the weekend so I can get planting.

My four remaining sprout plants are now outside under plastic bottle cloches - as soon as I put them out, the heavens opened, but they're still hanging in there

Please can someone tell me how big should my beetroot plants be before I thin them out?

I hope everyone has a great week
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning Everyone
    Still raining here in Gloucestershire - I'll take a walk down to the plot and check the greenhouse for watering. That's about all for me - maybe bring something back for pricking out.
    This is a useful link for crop rotation Londonlydia:
    http://www.allotment-garden.org/crop-rotation/four-year-crop-rotation-plan/
    It show the plot divided up into four rather than three. Which might work out to be less complicated. I try to rotate but on a small plot I sometimes break the rules and I inter-crop so much that I get a bit mixed up. Best things to remember change the potatoes around every year and try not to plant the same crop one after the other. Sounds as though you're doing very well and to be honest in the first year just have some fun and get used to growing.
    Loveknittingsocks -I thin the beetroot to one every four inches - depends a bit on the type you are growing. Thin them as soon as they are pull outable - about 2cm.
    Beetroots should really be station sown - so a couple of seeds every four inches and then when they are ready to thin pull out the weekest seedling. If you sow any closer you waste seed. If you don't thin then the beet won't have room to grow. What variety are you growing?
    With all this rain - we'll all be weeding next week.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 17th May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    MissPop
    Is it normal for my strong and healthy-looking seedlings to keel over and go all floppy after being transplanted to bigger pots...? Yesterday I lifted them as carefully as I could, planted as deeply as possible and firmed the soil around the roots... Not sure why they look so bad today
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1080.57/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $120 | Swagbucks - £350
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi Misspop - sorry to hear about your seedlings. It is quite a shock for them to be moved but most recover.
    It might be helpful to know what they are. I try to handle the leaves only. If they are inside plants and very tender I use tepid water rather than cold from the tap to water them in. And give them lots of light.
    Or perhaps they were a bit leggy? If so it's best to drop them down a bit in the soil.
    Hope they recover for you.

• MissPop
    • By MissPop 17th May 17, 3:26 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    MissPop
    Hi Misspop - sorry to hear about your seedlings. It is quite a shock for them to be moved but most recover.
    It might be helpful to know what they are. I try to handle the leaves only. If they are inside plants and very tender I use tepid water rather than cold from the tap to water them in. And give them lots of light.
    Or perhaps they were a bit leggy? If so it's best to drop them down a bit in the soil.
    Hope they recover for you.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Thank you! They're tomatoes, this always seems to happen with my toms The water was room temperature, and I did remember not to lift them by the stem And they're back under my makeshift grow lamp, so hopefully they might perk up!

2017 totals
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 16,366 Posts
    • 278,689 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    It's rained here for three days solid! We needed it but I'm sick of it now
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 17th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 16,366 Posts
    • 278,689 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Good evening!

The rain has been relentless here for the last couple of days but the sun finally showed its face this afternoon. My little container garden is going mad, and I'm amazed at how quickly things grow once they get started. My potato plants are huge and I think I've spotted a few flower buds - I'm really excited.

I've planted more onions, spring onions and lettuce, two more potato bags (slightly smaller) and some more basil. I've ordered some radish seeds and a blueberry bush which haven't arrived yet - I'm hoping they'll be here by the weekend so I can get planting.

My four remaining sprout plants are now outside under plastic bottle cloches - as soon as I put them out, the heavens opened, but they're still hanging in there

Please can someone tell me how big should my beetroot plants be before I thin them out?

I hope everyone has a great week
    Originally posted by LoveKnittingSocks
    Your beetroot thinning depends on how big you want the remaining ones to be - maybe leave the width of a tennis ball between them to give them space? Mine will be picked at different sizes alternately

Welcome by the way! Happy growing

• LoveKnittingSocks
    • By LoveKnittingSocks 17th May 17, 9:34 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    LoveKnittingSocks
    Thank you for the replies and for the welcome

My beetroot are Detroit 2 and Boltardy. They're about 2cms now so I will have a go at thinning them out tomorrow - its too wet tonight. Still no sign of my runner beans - not that I'm impatient

My blueberry plants have arrived. I thought they'd be a bit bigger but they look healthy so I'm happy.

DS3 did another stint in the garden last week. There's still a long way to go but its a step in the right direction. He works really hard so I try not to pester him too much.

I was lucky enough to find three Kilner jars in the charity shop at lunchtime. They were only £2.50 so I couldn't resist buying them in the hope I'll have something to pickle before long!

I hope everyone has a great Thursday - one day closer to the weekend
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th May 17, 7:13 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Rain and sun and rain and sun!

I was out in the torrential rain last night in my dressing gown, garden clogs (with fluffy socks underneath) to shut the chicken coop up and then noticed one snail loitering with intent in the generalised area of my seedlings, and where there is one, there is many!

10 minutes later and soaked to the bone I had dispatched 32 of the little blighters! One of them even had the gaul to still have a piece of my runner bean plant attached to it!

This morning, the seedlings are all looking relatively healthy and just getting ready to throw the equivalent of a temper tantrum because they want 'space' up at the allotment. Soon my pretties!!!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 18th May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning All
    Lovely day here in Gloucestershire and I'll be off to do some gardening (paid work) this morning. Only a couple of hours and then I'll pop down to check the greenhouse.

Loveknittingsocks - Your beetroot should be fine to thin now and they are both round beets which will be great as small beets or grow them on a bit. But about 4 inches of space will be fine. Look out for Chioggia I can recommend it for the colour. And remember the blueberries need to be planted in ericacious soil and like to be watered with rain water - they grow in no time. Great bargain on the kilners. I always ask for them as Christmas pressies and have quite a collection now and I find I can never have to many. The runners should be up in about 10 days at this time of year - if they don't appear after that check them just in case in they have rotted.

CAFCGirl I hope you're dispatching those snails - it's nasty but they home a homing instinct so throwing them over a wall won't get rid of them. They'll be back.

• maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 18th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    Hi all, I'm new to gardening and new to growing anything having recently moved. I have at last got a greenhouse but no vegetable patch as yet so will be growing any veggies in pots for the time being. My cucumber is doing well as are my peppers, tomatoes and sprouts. I've got lots of lettuce,rocket, spinach and chard and some beans growing nicely. Also coriander and basil.I also am growing some flowers but it looks like my giant aliums and delphiniums are just not sprouting. I planted them some months ago but so far nothing. The rest of the flowers are doing well and I've planted some marigolds out already with a good sprinkling of snail and slug killer which is doing its job well from the bodies left behind each morning. I have grown some lupins from seed in an old egg carton. Could I just dig this into the ground as I don't really want to disturb their roots as the tray is quite shallow and do you think it is too soon to plant these out?
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 18th May 17, 1:26 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Hi there MaisyMoo5 Glad to hear you're getting into gardening and sorry to hear your Delphiniums and aliums didn't do to well. I guess the delphiniums aren't going to do anything if you haven't seen them by now. Sow some more! What kind of aliums were they - maybe they will come up - was it seeds or bulbs? Seed can take up to 3 months to get going - how did you sow them.

Lupins need quite a bit of space - around a foot between them - I don't think the egg box will harm them as it will just decompose but I would cut the box up into sections so you can space them out and give the roots a bit of a chance.

Lovely to hear how much you have growing. The people of the thread are very encouraging and helpful in sharing their growing successes and tips - so welcome aboard.
    Last edited by Fruittea; 18-05-2017 at 1:39 PM.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th May 17, 6:37 PM
    • 23,239 Posts
    • 90,211 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    So much rain. It's still raining now.

Possibly lost a tray of seedlings because there was too much water for it to drain.

But there's one strawberry ripening in the hanging basket so far, and I will just have to wait and see what survives in the rest of the garden. I've spotted the first two rambling rose blossoms open, though.

Himself is making fajitas in the kitchen. For some reason, he thinks I'm going to go back into the garden and collect salad stuff for him.

I'm staying on the sofa with two very grumpy cats, thank you very much.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 18th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all and welcome MaisyMoo!

After nothing happening all week due to:

weather
    runny bottom
    weather
    CBA'edness

I got cracking today!

Potted up into their final positions the runner beans, one courgette, one tomato, sowed some nasturtiums, calendula, poached egg plant and cosmos, and harvested my first potatoes of the year 2 small buckets with 1 seed potato in each - yield 3lb

The early strawberries are starting to set fruit and the mid and late varieties are flowering well.

My ongoing potatoes have gone bonkers over the last couple of days, mind you so have the slugs...went out and "despatched" a good 20 or so last night, found most of them hiding in with the onions

I still need to sow some more carrots, lettuce, spinach, chives, spring onions, parsley, and some more I can't remember.

Errrm, I also had a bit of a spend up at T&M's last night, they have many seeds reduced or simply quite cheap, so I bought 10 packets of various flowers and veg. I remembered I had £5 voucher to use so the total for all seeds with postage was £4.87

Hope you are all having a good week and you get some dry days, it rained until midnight last night, glorious today but rain again by teatime.
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 18th May 17, 10:30 PM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 11,486 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Called at the allotment on the way home from work to just water in the greenhouses. Two of my courgettes have died but the others seem to be ok.
    My cuttings that I took off my clematis a while ago are doing ok. Not sure when these could be planted out? This year or pot up to get a really good root system and plant out next year?

My strawberries in the greenhouse have gone mad and I had enough red ones to pick and share with OH with some cream. Sooo tasty!!
    I love the first pickings of strawberries. The outside ones have lots of flowers and as I am away for 2 weeks from next Tuesday, I am hoping to come back to some decent crops.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £217.53
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1490.18 miles
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 23,239 Posts
    • 90,211 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    And it's still raining.

Do I get soaked and miffed at the mollusc population explosion, or do I stay inside with a cup of coffee with caramel syrup and two very, very grumpy cats who seem to think it's all my fault when they aren't trying to knock lumps out of each other?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 19th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    thank you smeeinnit and fruittea for the lovely warm welcome. What a great idea about cutting the egg boxes up - don't know why I hadn't thought of that but like I say, this is a huge learning curve for me. I think I will be spending a good few hours looking through this fab thread. As for the delphinums they were from seed so I think I will chalk that one down to experience and maybe try again next year. I've bought a couple of delphinium plants in the meantime. The aliums are the giant variety so it seems that I need to be a bit more patient before I see any results. One of them does appear to be sprouting but it just looks like thin grass. I have no clue what they are supposed to look like until they are in full flower but part of the fun is seeing what works and what doesn't. The weather here today is very odd. Showers then sun and now a bit of thunder. Greenhouse doors are open giving everything a nice airing and I can't wait to see what everyone else is growing and how they are doing.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th May 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Rain, rain and more rain. I haven't even stepped foot on the veg patch at all today, I think it will be wellies tomorrow

Went shopping and managed to get a reduced pot of chives, I'll cut the plant into sections and put them in a far larger pot, hopefully it should be ok. That's the nearest I've got to gardening today !!!
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 19th May 17, 6:23 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    MissPop
    I am such an impatient gardener - frustrated at my progress with my tomato seeds, I went and bought 6 plants from B&Q today In my defence, they were 20% off, so only cost me £4.80 2 x Super Marmande, 2 x Roma, 1 x Alicante and 1 x Ailsa Craig, and I might still be able to salvage my Ildi seedlings.

Not that I have room for half of them in my raised bed...

I also got 6 more strawberry plants (Elsanta), again for £4.80. The last few strawbs I bought were £1.99 a plant, and my dog ate one of them, so I don't feel so bad with this investment

2017 totals
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 19th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    tootallulah
    We are going to have two hours of sun in the morning so I am planning to get all of my annuals out, I did half last week-end, they are well watered in! My tomatoes were kindly planted by a neighbour I just have a few Floridity for inside the greenhouse once I have the plants out and in the garden. The currants, gooseberries and raspberries are looking fantastic and I have netted them before the birds get ideas. I have a bumoer crop of apricots but they really need some sun, let's hope soon.
    Mortgage House £108,000 September 29th 2017.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,433Posts Today

9,314Users online

Martin's Twitter