Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,262Posts
    • 276,672Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriages, Relationships and Families, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Greenfingered Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

***Please bear with me while I sort out the links in my signature!***

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 16
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 19th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 9,367 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Smeeinnit I think I put my carrot seeds in almost three weeks ago and nothing showing yet for me either. I keep watering and hoping.

My sweet peppers are doing ok though and sitting happily in greenhouse at the plot.

Cuttings of clematis still alive and cauli seedlings still looking good so there is hope yet.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £165.70
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....661.99 miles
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th Apr 17, 9:58 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Today was admin day, tomorrow is gardening day: Hoping to relocate a number of young brambles. Jojo I get them all the time, but I keep the established plants trained, and relocate any seedlings I find to the border with the woods. The crop of blackberries I get now is fantastic, each patch having fruits that are subtly different. Meanwhile, the wild garlic is beginning to flower as are the woodland (native) bluebells. I'm also possibly getting the point of shallots, when last week I came to the conclusion that there was no point in planting one shallot when you only get one shallot back - I'm watching this with interest...
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th Apr 17, 7:46 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 34,595 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Potatoes are supposed to be one of the best first things to grow as it breaks up the earth in the process.

Courgettes are easy and need little attention once in.

Would be a shame to not grow something in your first season.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    when I got my plot about this time last year (well actually about a month later) I dug over & made 2 beds. 1 2.2m x2.5 m & 1 2.5 x 1m. In that I grew 3 squashes, 2 courgettes, french beans, runner beans and raddishes. Towards the end of the season I did another 2.5 x 1m and in there I put beetroot & radishes. I got quite a lot of produce from these. I then covered the rest until this year when it has been so easy to dig over I've been amazed

I really recommend covering whatever you won't be able to dig in a 2 week period, as it will start to kill off the growth and the ground will be much easier to dig through
    Last edited by determined new ms; 20-04-2017 at 7:48 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 Apr £457.41/YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 20th Apr 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hooray! I planted my tomato seeds so late this year due to making repeated trips to Scotland so on Sunday I brought them indoors and put the tray on top of the bug-zapper in the kitchen window-sill as it generates a small amount of heat from the bulbs being on all the time. Hey presto, I can see shoots!

We did a massive veg seed audit in February and sent lots into DH's School for them to grow, but I was left with the residue of packets of "Chocolate Cherry" and "Black Russian", and an Italian Beefsteak tomato - well both the Chocolate Cherry modules are sprouting (only 4 seeds, so 2 in each module) and one of the Black Russians. Just one spindle from the Sungold F1 Hybrid (they were dated 1997, so not expecting too much ) but both lots of Costa Luto Italian ones - Genovese and Fiorentino are underway. Just my chilli seeds to do anything in the warm now.

I also moved my sweetpeas outside (having germinated in the same way) but had no luck with the perennial sweetpeas I planted - I might have to bring them in again when the tomatoes are a bit more robust.

I love this stage when everything is bursting into life! I will go and look in my greenhouse when I have had my coffee - I have butternut squash, yellow and green courgettes, melons (ogen and water), cucumbers and all my legume seeds out there.

Lots of potato and onion growth underway and flowers on some teeny-weeny strawberry plants (I had a dozen for my birthday from Ken Muir). Mercifully the asparagus seems to have survived my Son digging it all out last Autumn (case of not listening when instructions provided) - just as well! These were my last year's birthday present.

We shall have to try again with a blackberry as ours died. I might try a tayberry in the hedge at the back too.

I agree with whoever was frustrated by raspberry sprouting patterns! Our autumn-fruiting ones come up through the membrane in paths and under raised beds but are still a poor second to the ornamental Acanthus that we have been trying to get rid of for 4 years now - the veg garden used to be a secret ornamental garden and still has Crocosmia (Lucifer) and Acanthus, along with Aquilega that simply will not give up!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 12.11% after Q4
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £2,369.83/£11,000 (21.54%) after Mar (Save £12k in 2016 thread #92 £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 32.68/33.33% including stores after April
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 20th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 7,848 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Smeeinnit I think I put my carrot seeds in almost three weeks ago and nothing showing yet for me either. I keep watering and hoping.
    I found the same last year and resowed two or three times before anything came up. I think the seeds are very sensitive to lack of water as well as cold. This year I've sown some indoors and they were up after 10 days.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday on the plot, planted raspberry canes but I've still got another 6 to do today, did some weeding in the tunnel and dug a trench for my asparagus which I must remember to soak for a couple of hours before planting. Hopefully I can do more today.

Everything wants to grow but I'm finding it hard to keep up with things as there is so much to do, the plot is looking a bit of a mess as it needs a good tidy up but I'm afraid it will have to wait until I have more time. DH cut down some trees yesterday that were overshadowing the back of the plot, the light is now flooding in and I'll have loads of logs for next year.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £34.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 20th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning all. It's a bit over caste here in Gloucestershire. Just reading back and I see everyone is doing so well. Raspberries seem to have a mind of their own don't they. Shallots are very worthwhile Unrecordings as they split just like garlic - you'll see them split out into 5/6 cloves and swell and sort of go in different directions at the top as they grow - when you dig them up they separate and look just like the original bulb just like the only you planted only bigger.
    I've filled all the shelving in the greenhouse and the floor space and am bring things in and out of the kitchen every day now. So plenty growing. It's the brassicas that are taking up the most space as I've potted them on it individual pots as they were getting a bit big.
    I haven't sown any carrots yet this year as I sometimes have a problem with them. Yesterday I planted up a square foot oriental bed - so I have 6 little squares with different types of pak choi looking things - they grow really quickly but I use quite a bit of these in stir fries.
    I'm considering myself self sufficient in green stuff now - so plenty of herbs, salads, and quick greens.
    The veg box is cancelled and I've got quite a bit in the freezer. So shopping should just be for tomatoes, peppers, avocados from now on.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9918.12 Number 71
    April Grocery Challenge £47.70/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 20th Apr 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I'm considering myself self sufficient in green stuff now - so plenty of herbs, salads, and quick greens.
    The veg box is cancelled and I've got quite a bit in the freezer. So shopping should just be for tomatoes, peppers, avocados from now on.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Wow, self-sufficient, that is fantastic at this stage in the year! Well done Fruittea
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £2,369.83/£11,000 (21.54%) after Mar (Save £12k in 2016 thread #92 £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 32.68/33.33% including stores after April
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 20th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Thanks Suffolk Lass - the orientals all grow pretty fast and I would recommend them to you. You can eat the young leaves in 30 days and just 45 days before they heart up. I've got Pak Choi, Komatsuna which is like spinach and Choy sum which is good raw or cooked. I try to eat seasonally so I will be a bit restricted but there's still plenty of choice.
    I also like to use quite a few sprouting seeds - another thing which is expensive in the shops.
    Good news about the tomatoes - so nice when you first see them and then - they're off! Sounds as thought you're doing really well.
    I have a glut of Rocket which self seeded in a cold frame and have been stir frying it. It really works well!
    I've eaten the equivalent of 3 supermarket bags at around £1 this week and tonnes of herbs and spinach all of which would have cost about £7.50. The rest is out of the freezer Except for a yellow sticker cauliflower 39p which I made a charred cauliflower curry with.

So this weeks budget is: supermarket spend on veg 39p saved by growing my own £7.50.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9918.12 Number 71
    April Grocery Challenge £47.70/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 21,854 Posts
    • 83,812 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted

My sweet peppers are doing ok though and sitting happily in greenhouse at the plot.

Cuttings of clematis still alive and cauli seedlings still looking good so there is hope yet.

My carrots are just starting to show after three good weeks in good sunlight and warmth.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 21st Apr 17, 6:57 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 34,595 Thanks
    determined new ms
    yippee one of the 2 courgette seeds I had almost given up on has germinated (sown maybe 2 weeks ago) because I have so many varieties - round eightball 2, 1 patipans, 1 all greeen, yellow, crookneck - have done I only planted 1 of each of yellow & crookneck so have been disappointed. Earlier in the week I rooted around in the soil and nothing, but I wonder if the soil was too compact? As after this I've left them and today life is springing

I have done much this week as have been working a lot and have a deadline for my masters application so as much as I am itching to get out there I have to prioritise!

Hopefully I'll get to the lottie for a couple of hours tomorrow, but again I need to be careful of the time as have other things to be doing. My neighbour has offered me some blue piping so I can make my nets for brassicas and then came put those in
    DF as at 30/12/16
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 21st Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 8,391 Posts
    • 17,452 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Morning all,

Not made it up the plot in well over a week
    I'm making my plan for the weekend though and all the things I want to work on. Hopefully I will get a good chunk of hours in up there.

I'm also considering purchasing some new items come payday, a mattock for one and possibly some more fruit bushes/trees. My blueberry bush has died so I'm thinking of getting some more of those to have in, as well as maybe some tayberry and cranberry.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 21st Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

I've been distracted from sowing, and cleared a quarter of the growing area behind the garage and placed all my potato/onion/carrot pots on it, in the corner that gets sun nearly all day

I've also made a start on my vertical bottle garden which I will fill with salad leaves and herbs.

Might get on with the sowing today!

Have a good day all
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 7,848 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Ate the first of the new potatoes yesterday they were quite a decent size and delicious

Almost finished clearing the last of the winter stuff from the tunnel, just needs a bit of a weed, and topping up with some old compost/manure and then it will be ready for this year.
    Some of the strawberries are in flower, just hope is doesn't get too cold and kill the flowers off, maybe I should cover them with fleece but that will stop the insects from pollinating them. - dilemma?

determined new ms I wish I had the space for more courgettes, particularly the unusual ones. This year it's just 2 green defender and 2 yellow soleil.

It's a bit cold today so paperwork is morning and hopefully outside this afternoon.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £34.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 45,658 Thanks
    Jazee
    Just watering for me today as my back is still playing up a bit. I left the greenhouse door open all night, everything appears to be ok though.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Apr £255.59 Total £4000/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £242.39/£365
    Money spent on garden £127.06

• smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 21st Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Ate the first of the new potatoes yesterday they were quite a decent size and delicious
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    So can't wait for mine to be ready! Were yours in the greenhouse to be ready this early?
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 21st Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 9,367 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Zafiro........my strawberries also in flower but I just keep watering them. I am holding off on planting out my courgettes and french beans till after the end of April I think.

Some cold weather due again next week. Have got all my mates at work saving plastic bottles for me so I can use them as mini cloches as a bit of extra protection till plants are established.

Bit frustrated as I want to spend some time at the allotment but all I have had time for is watering this week and tomorrow we are visiting
    family with a new baby in another town. Will have to get down on Sunday hopefully and then I have three days off next week so maybe I can get the digging over finished.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £165.70
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....661.99 miles
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 21st Apr 17, 8:55 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Shallots are very worthwhile Unrecordings as they split just like garlic - you'll see them split out into 5/6 cloves and swell and sort of go in different directions at the top as they grow - when you dig them up they separate and look just like the original bulb just like the only you planted only bigger.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Ah good - it's the four or five shoots that got me thinking that might be the case. One of them was a whopper and already split (which made me wonder what the point was in the first place, as I couldn't really see how it could get any bigger)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 34,595 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning this thread is getting pretty fast pace now. Every day when I check in there has been a flurry of posts now the season is marching on whereas a couple of weeks ago there might not be a post for a few days Glad to see everyone is having successes

I have woken up to it being grey and drizzly. Hopefully it dries up sufficiently for me to get to the lottie at some point. Today I am going to speak to my neighbour about this piping and if it's not going to materialise by Monday I think I'll need to buy some as really want to get my sprouts & calabrese in! I want to pick up some lime and also look at seeds as there might be something I want go grow to compliment what I have already. I'm also going to hunt around the garage for material to make some collars out of. I know I have a square of carpet and thinking we have some thick cardboard I can use as well

checking my dwarf beans that haven't germinated & they have rotted. I only have 3 that have germinated out of 12 sown! so will sow some more of the seeds I have and pick up another pack.

Will check through the seed box again to see if it's time for anything else.

My strawberry plants are going great guns too. Maybe I should take the tower into the greenhouse to protect it from frosts until the end of the month?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 22nd Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I've also made a start on my vertical bottle garden which I will fill with salad leaves and herbs.
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    I looked this up after seeing your post and on this site http://balconygardenweb.com/plastic-bottle-vertical-garden-soda-bottle-garden/ there are lots of different options - I am intrigued as to what you are planning? Are your plans fixed? have you got a frame of any sort? Horizontal or vertical bottles?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but it sounds really interesting (sorry if this has been discussed further back in the thread. I confess to not having time to read all the previous posts)
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 22nd Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    I looked this up after seeing your post and on this site http://balconygardenweb.com/plastic-bottle-vertical-garden-soda-bottle-garden/ there are lots of different options - I am intrigued as to what you are planning? Are your plans fixed? have you got a frame of any sort? Horizontal or vertical bottles?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but it sounds really interesting (sorry if this has been discussed further back in the thread. I confess to not having time to read all the previous posts)
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Hi Suffolk Lass questions are good!

I am building no 3 in the link you posted, the tutorial to built it is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDbjZ9roEQ&index=3&list=PL2g9F_fq9nC3KWxXRNNdwz29H wZ32woO2

I had an old side gate to use as a frame, I can only get 3 growing bottles high plus the watering bottle on top, but can fit 5 towers across in total so I will have 15 growing bottles once complete.

I plan to grow salad mostly, lettuce, spring onions, etc and herbs such as parsley, dill, and so forth.

HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,519Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin