Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16,364Posts
    • 278,667Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 11:14 AM
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017 1st Jan 17 at 11:14 AM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Huge thanks to Dizzy Ditzy for starting this off in 2017. You might also like to read some of our Grow Your Own Blogs.

Back to Dizzy Ditzy's post...

--

Hello folks and welcome to the 2017 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-01-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 15
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Welcome to the thread Suffolk Lass

Hope your bruising soon subsides Zafiro...that sounded awful!

Regarding weeds growing between paths........cant believe I have just discovered the power of boiling water on weeds.

I have a clump just inside my allotment gate that really annoy me so after reading about boiling water killing weeds.......after I had my cuppa at the allotment last week, I poured the remaing water out of the kettle on said weeds.

Went to plot yesterday and they had all shrivelled up so each time I have a brew, a different area of the plot, (mainly inbetween slabs) will be getting the same treatment.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £208.03
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1490.18 miles
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Welcome aboard Suffolk lass. Good to know you've got something growing. Storm Doris seemed to 'do' for a few of us. The thread is really helpful and it's great to hear how everyone is growing.
    I will be potting on lettuces and brassicas this morning and checking around the green house.
    I seem to have done very (too) well with my cucumber this year as most have germinated and are about six inches high. Tomatoes are also doing well and are sunning themselves outside.
    I sold a few of the marjorams and chives out at the gate this weekend and the produce pot stands at £22 at the mo. So that's the good new.
    On the not so good side - none of my yellow courgettes have germinated - I sowed 4 but they were a few years old. So I think I may have to buy some more. Other than that everything is ticking over nicely.
    Last edited by Fruittea; 18-04-2017 at 8:38 AM.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Apr 17, 10:48 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,805 Thanks
    Jazee
    I will try to pot on various seedlings today if I can find the time. And thanks for the boiling water tip.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 17,917 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Thanks for the welcome, lovely OPs. Ooh, boiling water! As a child I used to do that (and to ants, which was not nice of me!)
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 17th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi Suffolk lass

Zafiro hope the bruises heal soon

More done today in between helping OH to level out the decking base we have laid, strawberries planted in their containers, more tomatoes potted up (think I may have too many!) and gave everything a good ol' water. Expecting frost tonight so put a few of the tenderest things in the greenhouse. The potatoes I started indoors are well away and will have to go in the garage overnight as they are too big to go in the greenhouse, its one of those little lean to things. The potatoes that I planted a couple of weeks ago outside are breaking the surface so I added a couple more inches of compost to the pots so the frost doesn't get the shoots.

Hope you all had a good easter
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Apr 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,735 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Good tip Kantankrus Mare - thanks

Fruittea, you are way ahead of me in the money stakes. However, having read what you were saying about selling tomato plants at the gate I've now gone ahead and sown my spares. They didn't cost much as I picked them up from the garden centre last August for 50p a pack so I should show a profit on that.

Smeeinnit - I didn't realise it was going to be frosty tonight, I must watch the forecast later, looking at the sky there is quite a covering of cloud so maybe it could miss us

Thanks everyone who commented on my bruising, it's stopped hurting and I can now bend over without seeing stars but I still look as if I've gone five rounds with Mike Tyson, at least looking like this it will keep me away from the shops.

Today I sowed all my freebie magazine flower seeds, I sowed them into modules and hopefully they can be planted out without having to pot them on. (I just used a word where you move the seedling on beginning with pr...... this programme doesn't like that word and threw it out ) They're for my daughters garden just to fill in the gaps as she's putting the house on the market in a few weeks. Now to light the fire and find something for tea.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,805 Thanks
    Jazee
    I potted on my big tomatoes, can't remember the variety, but they are those huge ones. Took them out to the green house to do it and left them there all day. Have just brought them back in the house as they looked very sorry for themselves.

Will try to do more tomorrow.

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Just watering for me today as I had to go to work at 12.00 and have just got in. Would much rather have been digging!!

For those of you that sell at the garden gate......how do you do it?
    Do you put an honesty box out or ask for money to be put through letterbox?

Would love to have a go at this. I live in a dead end street but there are lots of people around at school dropping off and leaving time as school at end of street.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £208.03
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 18th Apr 17, 1:14 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 9,735 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I sell eggs and spare fruit and vegetables at the gate. My DH built me a table with a roof at the gate, it looks a little like a very small lych gate sideways on. I have an honesty box well bolted to the table and a wire dog cage also well bolted to the table. the eggs go in the cage to keep the squirrels or rooks/magpies from helping themselves, the veg, fruit and egg boxes go in plastic mushroom boxes.

The problems I have had are people taking things without paying and the honesty box being broken into.
    We are on a very small lane and the gate is about 100yds away so I can't see it from the house. I didn't want the table to be near the house and people coming to the door so I have to put up with a few problems.

My thoughts are:-
    If you sell eggs people expect them to be there every day otherwise they get out of the habit of stopping and buying.
    People want a bargain and expect supermarket prices for what is usually fresher, and of a higher quality but once they have tried things they usually come back for more. Word of mouth is also very valuable.
    Your honesty box would go missing very quickly if it wasn't bolted down so maybe posting money through the letterbox would be better.

On balance it's been good, and I would do it again if we ever moved to another place.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Touching on the honesty box idea, but not really knowing the demographic of whose buying from you, would it be worth having a plastic envelope or waterproof container of some sort with little compliments slips on with a Paypal address? Just write on there to say 'send as Friends and Family and add a note to say 'veg and egg honesty'?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 18th Apr 17, 9:15 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Lovely bright day here in Gloucestershire but it's a bit chilly.
    I only put out plants and any extra produce I have. I don't have that much so it's usually at weekends only.
    I don't have anything fancy just a chair and a blackboard. I just mark up the boards with a ditty of some kind and whatever I have - Like 'Herb of the day keeps the pests a bay'.
    I put out a jar for the money but I pop out a lot and the gate is just yards from my window. I can usually hear people put the money in and when they leave I pop out and collect it.
    It's mostly neighbours that buy things. I've had a couple of dodgey coins and Euros instead of £s but other than that very few problems. I've even found more money than expected or neighbours knock to say they took something but didn't have the change on them.
    My road is a dead-end but the church and the river are at the top so there's some passing trade but not much.
    I only do it for a bit of laugh and the neighbours always come to me for their toms and cus and ask me to put aside some runners.
    Some I won't take any money from and some I do - I always grow yellow courgettes for one neighbour and try to keep him suppled all summer as he's the one that helps me with any chicken problems.
    I never sell eggs and I only have 5 chickens and only get a few a day. One is retired (Madalane) she must be nearly nearly 8 and is blind in one eye, the others are a bit hit and miss. If I have any extra I give them to friends or neighbours I house-sit for.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 18th Apr 17, 10:02 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Some great info there for selling at the gate........thanks everyone!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Apr 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,805 Thanks
    Jazee
    A beautiful day here in North Yorkshire. I've cut the grass out the back but not the front. Didn't want the neighbours seeing me looking stupid doing something like that while my back hurts (which they know about).

I have dug up the last of the winter salad which finally bolted. Already have next lot of salad to eat though. Parsnips and peas all germinating outside. I've planted spinach and started to put the liners in my new raised beds but ran out of tacks.

Just taking a break before cracking on.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th Apr 17, 11:11 PM
    • 23,235 Posts
    • 90,164 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ok, so the carrot pot wasn't the carrot pot. It was a spare beans pot. I guess the other pot must be the carrot pot, then.

And how on earth has the thornless blackberry managed to send a spiky sucker out underneath the entire length of the garden, turn right, weave under the concrete foundations for the patio, do another 90 degree turn and then emerge just where the Idiot Cat puts his bum down for his daily - ahem - constitutional?

And what is the dense carpet of random seedlings under the cherry tree?

Sigh. At least the toxics are still happily located over the other side of the grass.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    CAFCGirl

And how on earth has the thornless blackberry managed to send a spiky sucker out underneath the entire length of the garden, turn right, weave under the concrete foundations for the patio, do another 90 degree turn and then emerge just where the Idiot Cat puts his bum down for his daily - ahem - constitutional?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Maybe the cat did it

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 19th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Ok, so the carrot pot wasn't the carrot pot. It was a spare beans pot. I guess the other pot must be the carrot pot, then.

And what is the dense carpet of random seedlings under the cherry tree?

Sigh. At least the toxics are still happily located over the other side of the grass.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    It will be the same reason my raspberry bushes are sending up new shoots all over the allotment and not in the straight line I would prefer them to pop up in.

Your post did make me laugh.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 19th Apr 17, 10:38 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,805 Thanks
    Jazee
    JoJo, you may me laugh too.

No gardening here today as I overdid it yesterday and spent the night in agony. I purchased a courgette plant from a fellow grower yesterday as mine haven't germinated.

• tibawo
    • By tibawo 19th Apr 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 9,388 Thanks
    tibawo
    Did not manage to get up for my half hour clearance of the grass and other mysterious things we unearth yesterday but hoping to bob up today.

We have finished pulling as much as we could up from the seating area. I have bought some bedding plants for the back yard which had been neglected since getting the Lottie.

So,done asked if we were going to grow this year or wait till next when grass is cleared. I am determined to have something to show for all the hard work.
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 19th Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Did not manage to get up for my half hour clearance of the grass and other mysterious things we unearth yesterday but hoping to bob up today.

We have finished pulling as much as we could up from the seating area. I have bought some bedding plants for the back yard which had been neglected since getting the Lottie.

So,done asked if we were going to grow this year or wait till next when grass is cleared. I am determined to have something to show for all the hard work.
    Originally posted by tibawo
    Potatoes are supposed to be one of the best first things to grow as it breaks up the earth in the process.

Courgettes are easy and need little attention once in.

Would be a shame to not grow something in your first season.
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 19th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

Well I got cracking with planting the spuds, I now have 25 containers of varying sizes all planted up. Today I wanted to get some of all the 5 varieties I am growing sorted, so I now have Rocket, Charlotte, Kestrel, Sarpo Mira and Setanta on the go

My indoor started Rocket spuds look fab with about 18 inches of growth on them, hoping that in less than 6 weeks we will be able to have our first crop of the year of new potatoes

Over the next few days I plan on sowing some flower seeds, mostly companion plants, and get in the last of the onions.

My second sowing of sweet peppers also seemed to have failed not sure if I want to try a third time, will think that one over.

The carrots I sowed outside 2 weeks ago have not made an appearance yet, but after some googling it seems they can take their time so not writing them off yet.

Lettuce, spinach, spring onion seedlings all romping away so its mostly good.

Hope the weather is being kind to you, it was 15 degrees and sunny here most of the day, little wind too, it was lovely
    Let's get ready to bumble!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

2,505Users online

Martin's Twitter