Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    • 273Posts
    • 1,779Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bricks Not Books
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    Bricks Not Books 1st Jan 17 at 10:04 AM
    The first day of a New Year seems like the best time to start this diary! I was on this board under another name for a number of years, but I felt like a change of name as well as a change of diary, so here I am!

Completed on new home with OH in December, we haven't even owned it for a month yet. But we have a mortgage of £160k and we both hate being in debt, so we've already made plans to start overpaying. OH isn't in the best paid job (Civil Service) and I'm on a temporary contract, albeit with a manager who is keen to keep me on, but I hate the uncertainty of it. So I'm definitely going to be job hunting, and he will be too in coming months.

Mr VH has never lived away from home before. I moved away at university, moved back after graduation, moved out a few years later and spent 4 years as a lodger in a flat in London with a lovely couple, and then moved back with parents again. I've spent over a year sleeping on a sofa there as what was meant to be "temporary while we look for a place to rent" turned in to "let's buy a house together". Had a bit of a nightmare with the purchase, and we're still not actually in the house properly as it needs some work done on it. We've got a 5 year fix from Halifax at 2.74%, with monthly payments that are affordable. As we've never owned property before and it's been years since I had to work out budgets for bills (been paying all-inclusive rent at London and with parents) we decided to err on the side of caution. We set ourselves a realistic amount for repaying the mortage each month, and the one we eventually got came in £30 under that amount. So we're already going to OP £30 as our budget allows us that flexibility.

But even though we're not under the roof yet we still have a mortgage to pay XD First payment comes out in 3 days time and then we're on the path to 29 years of a mortgage. I'm 31 and OH will be 30 in a few months, and this is our first home. Not a forever home, we don't have children yet but want them in the future and this place is just about big enough for small ones, but would be cramped for older children.

Our house is currently going through some work due to years of being a student let, the last owners were intent on bleeding the place dry and then dumping it. We're going to look after this place, but it's taken up a lot of our savings. I've factored rebuilding the savings in to our budget, and also set up a spreadsheet to see the impact our OPs will have on the term, daily and monthly interest.

So our targets to start with are;
    • Build an emergency fund of £1000
    • Match the budgeted £30 a month overpayment through wombling, discounts, roadkill, earning extra pennies, saving loose change, and Tilly Tidies, so we’ll aim to be OPing over £60 a month.
    • Drop below the £155k mark by January 2017.
    • Enjoy living in our new home together

Fun Numbers;
    - Without overpaying we’ll go under £155k in May 2017.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll go under £155k in February 2017 – only need a little extra stretch to remove that last month!
    - Without overpaying we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in August 2020!
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in February 2020.
    - Without overpaying we’ll take 29 years to pay off the mortgage.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll take 25 years to pay off the mortgage!
    - In order to pay it off in 20 years we’d need to OP £200 a month.
    - If we OP by the monthly interest (c. £320 a month) we’d pay it all off in…16 years!

I think we’ll stick with £60 for now XD

And as for the diary title - between me and OH we practically own a library Need to cut back on paper purchases in favour of paying off more of the house!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
Page 6
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 2nd Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I think the holiday here would be cheaper if we weren't hiring a car SW, and the cottage I'm eyeing up on AirBnB is very nice. But then the cost of entrance tickets to places would also add to the cost...ho hum, need to make a decision soon as we'll be going away in April!

So my total OP for November was £137.06! It was the work expenses again, helped by a payout from Quidco. This means that we've broken the £1k mark for OPing in 2017! We won't hit our target of falling under £155k by January but I don't mind, over £1000 in overpayments is enough for me! Need to work out our aim for next year, around savings too of course.

Christmas is starting to approach so I completed my Amazon order, and just ordered some stuff from Hotel Chocolat. I can pick it up from the shop on Monday, so that saves postage. I'm also going to use Monday to finish off my Dad's Christmas presents, then Tuesday can be getting Mum's birthday and Christmas things, and I can get a few little bits for DH on Wednesday. After that it will just be my brother (very easy, lots of sweets) and then I need to wrap them up. Oh, and something for my old housemates and their little girls.

I also need to write my Christmas cards tomorrow and post them Monday before the last posting dates for the US and Japan sneak up on me! Oh and wrap up presents for my friend in the Netherlands and get those sent off too. I really should set aside proper time tomorrow to get a lot of this stuff done.

We had a little dusting of snow on Thursday! Was very exciting but made the roads rather hair raising. It also made me realise that the freezer has been looking a little empty recently, we've been eating stuff without replacing it. So along with stocking up on peas and french fries (the essentials ) I also bought a YS lamb hotpot ready meal, which has been frozen. I also stocked up on some more pasta and passata as we've got a load of Ikea meatballs that could be cooked up. I just need to find another ready meal or two, and some tins of soup, and then we should be set in case we can't leave the house (highly unlikely but best to be prepared).

Dinner tonight was a lasagne, first time I've cooked on in three years! Didn't make enough cheese sauce but apart from that it was very nice. Tomorrow is a roast pork joint, with spuds and veggies.

Have a lovely rest of the weekend everyone!

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 8th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Today is 1 year since we completed on our house! I think I love it even more than when we bought it. All it needed was some TLC, and we can give that in spades!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 10th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    SNOW!! :

• michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    michelle09
    Happy one year in your house! Glad you're still happy.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 12,951 Posts
    • 46,510 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Congratulations on being in housey for one year. It has flown by. I hope you have a good time in the snow. It is icy here but no snow.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin