Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    • 127Posts
    • 757Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bricks Not Books
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    Bricks Not Books 1st Jan 17 at 10:04 AM
    The first day of a New Year seems like the best time to start this diary! I was on this board under another name for a number of years, but I felt like a change of name as well as a change of diary, so here I am!

Completed on new home with OH in December, we haven't even owned it for a month yet. But we have a mortgage of £160k and we both hate being in debt, so we've already made plans to start overpaying. OH isn't in the best paid job (Civil Service) and I'm on a temporary contract, albeit with a manager who is keen to keep me on, but I hate the uncertainty of it. So I'm definitely going to be job hunting, and he will be too in coming months.

Mr VH has never lived away from home before. I moved away at university, moved back after graduation, moved out a few years later and spent 4 years as a lodger in a flat in London with a lovely couple, and then moved back with parents again. I've spent over a year sleeping on a sofa there as what was meant to be "temporary while we look for a place to rent" turned in to "let's buy a house together". Had a bit of a nightmare with the purchase, and we're still not actually in the house properly as it needs some work done on it. We've got a 5 year fix from Halifax at 2.74%, with monthly payments that are affordable. As we've never owned property before and it's been years since I had to work out budgets for bills (been paying all-inclusive rent at London and with parents) we decided to err on the side of caution. We set ourselves a realistic amount for repaying the mortage each month, and the one we eventually got came in £30 under that amount. So we're already going to OP £30 as our budget allows us that flexibility.

But even though we're not under the roof yet we still have a mortgage to pay XD First payment comes out in 3 days time and then we're on the path to 29 years of a mortgage. I'm 31 and OH will be 30 in a few months, and this is our first home. Not a forever home, we don't have children yet but want them in the future and this place is just about big enough for small ones, but would be cramped for older children.

Our house is currently going through some work due to years of being a student let, the last owners were intent on bleeding the place dry and then dumping it. We're going to look after this place, but it's taken up a lot of our savings. I've factored rebuilding the savings in to our budget, and also set up a spreadsheet to see the impact our OPs will have on the term, daily and monthly interest.

So our targets to start with are;
    • Build an emergency fund of £1000
    • Match the budgeted £30 a month overpayment through wombling, discounts, roadkill, earning extra pennies, saving loose change, and Tilly Tidies, so we’ll aim to be OPing over £60 a month.
    • Drop below the £155k mark by January 2017.
    • Enjoy living in our new home together

Fun Numbers;
    - Without overpaying we’ll go under £155k in May 2017.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll go under £155k in February 2017 – only need a little extra stretch to remove that last month!
    - Without overpaying we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in August 2020!
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in February 2020.
    - Without overpaying we’ll take 29 years to pay off the mortgage.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll take 25 years to pay off the mortgage!
    - In order to pay it off in 20 years we’d need to OP £200 a month.
    - If we OP by the monthly interest (c. £320 a month) we’d pay it all off in…16 years!

I think we’ll stick with £60 for now XD

And as for the diary title - between me and OH we practically own a library Need to cut back on paper purchases in favour of paying off more of the house!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in August 2017 - £0/£93 (2017 total - £112.98) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments - £749.69
Page 5
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 16th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    New Doctor Who is a woman Really pleased with that. I don't get to see women be the heroes that much, it'll be nice to know we don't constantly need rescuing

Anyway, I've had most of the past week off work! Went in to the office Monday morning to finish off a few bits and send a handover email to my manager, who was back on Tuesday. Then had lunch in a Bella Italia in Cambridge and had a long walk around the shopping centre and the street outside, got a few bits from The Works for my Christmas shoeboxes, and bought a nice top and some DVDs from some of the charity shops around there before driving home and putting my feet up.

Tuesday the car had to go in the garage for some work so I was a bit stranded for the day. Tried to get some garden sacks (our council doesn't have wheelie bins) but even though I'd registered for and printed off the voucher we were told to get, the town council office had run out of bags Quite frustrating but they told me to phone on Friday when they'd hopefully have more. Then when I went to pick up my car they told me they'd spotted a problem with my suspension as well. They're a recent lot and showed me where the problem was so they clearly weren't making it up, luckily they could squeeze me in for Friday as it really had to be fixed ASAP before I went back to commuting.

Wednesday was a day in Colchester, lots of wandering around, spot of tea and a nice cheese scone in a cafe there which helps people who've been long-term unemployed develop workplace skills. Got a few little bits in the charity shops, including some sewing bits I can post out to a friend, and a few bits from Wilko including two hanging baskets! Thursday I drove up to a garden centre, had another cheese scone for lunch, and got some plants and plant pots, and some cake to take home for me and DH. Planted four petunias in the hanging baskets and two more in a little trough pot, and three very small lavender plants in another trough pot. They're now all outside, making the place look a bit nicer. I'm hoping the lavender will grow to be a bit bigger than it currently is, the plants were only £1.50 each and there's only a few stems on each one. But I'm under the impression that it can get quite big, so hopefully they'll grow.

Finally car went back to the garage on Friday. Managed to get the garden sacks, and also registered me and DH with the local GP so that's now in progress too! Week ended up being more expensive than I hoped, especially after a recent IKEA trip as well, but it's two weeks until payday so I can be careful until then.

Hopefully my expenses will be paid out next week and that will be the next large OP to go, will also do my best to scrimp the pennies for an extra TT or two between now and 31st!

Next week off is in 6 weeks after the August bank holiday. I am counting down the time. This week off wasn't long enough DX

Make £3 a Day in August 2017 - £0/£93 (2017 total - £112.98) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments - £749.69
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 46,142 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh you've done loads. Blimey!!!! I'd need a holiday to recover. Still some really useful jobs were done and some travelling too which is great.

Glad Dr Who is a woman too. It's inspiring

Sorry about the expenses of the car, hopefully it will be fine for ages after the changes are made.

Hot weather predicted next week. Hopefully you will have fun in garden when you come home after a day at work.
    Savings Fund £500/£3000 16%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £10/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 22nd Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I don't like hot weather SW so I tend to lurk indoors rather than bathe in it outside XD I just end up feeling horribly sticky and tired, so heatwaves aren't my thing. I prefer the chill of a nice autumn day.

Expenses have paid out - £78.66. Technically not clearing until Monday but I've sent the OP now as I was too excited to get it! Combined it with £5.39 from Quidco and a TT of £4.48, in total this month I've OPed £121.61 There's no happy dance emote But still, work expenses have really helped me with this month's OP, it would be well under £100 without them!

Back at work this week, had 105 emails in the inbox when I got in Monday morning, but happily most were just replies I'd been copied in to and sorting out what I needed to do was quite quick. We've got two new staff starting, one in August and one in September, so we're going to have a swap around of offices to accommodate everyone better. It'll also give us a bit of a chance to have a clear out and a bit of a tidy-up.

DH is working today and then we've got pizza for dinner tonight. I was really tired last night and fell asleep quite quickly, only woke up as he was leaving at 5:30 this morning. Fell back asleep but woke up several more time as I remember seeing 8:05 and 9:30 on the alarm clock, but woke up properly at 10:40 so I must have been more tired than I thought! Had a bit of a headache today but finally gave in and took some Neurofen, which has cleared most of it. Still can't find the energy to go and do anything productive though, so the first time I'll put some non-pyjamas on will be when I drive down to get DH from the station. I doubt I'll wear anything other than PJs tomorrow as well

I need to work out what to do for next month's OP as expenses will be miniscule, all I'm buying at the moment is milk for the office fridge. I'll double check the coffee stash on Monday though as we get through that quite quickly (I don't like it but a lot of the office does) and I can stock up on a few bags for the cupboard to boost my next claim if it's needed. My parents also dropped off the china we used for the wedding when they came round last week so I might stick some of that on a Facebook selling group. My MIL is missing a sugar bowl, a plate, and a teacup from the stuff she bought and wants to keep, but so far all I've found is the teacup so I need to check with Mum if she's still got anything at home.

I also mentioned to my boss the other day that I was thinking of selling on my wedding dress and she was quite shocked. She suggested that if I can't find room to keep it then I should get it made in to something else. I admit the lace part could be used to make a cushion cover, but frankly I keeping looking at it and just seeing £100 or so we could use for the mortgage, or some more furniture. I think saving your wedding dress used to be the "done thing" years ago as it was always a big family thing, your Mum would help you buy it, your Granny might help embellish it if you'd got something a bit plain, the veil would be passed down the generations, the dress itself was sometimes cut down to be used as a Christening gown etc. I bought mine on the internet without any kind of fitting, and none of my children are going to be Christened so it won't be used for that! I feel like it might as well go to someone who would like a nice dress (it's from Monsoon) but can't necessarily find £300 for it, getting £100 or so would be perfectly fine with me, and I'd be happy to know it meant someone else could enjoy it again.

Might have a bit of a think about it, also need to get the dress drycleaned first so that will impact how much I want to sell it for too!

Right, need to go and find something slightly productive to do so I don't feel like the day is entirely wasted, have a nice weekend everyone!

• Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 22nd Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Oh I have the same dilemma about my wedding dress - not planning on wearing it again, kids aren't christened and don't want my daughter to feel she has to wear it as fashion changes. Keeping it for now to let her dress up in it a bit when she's older but will eventually sell it I think just not sure where, I heard good things about pre-loved but never looked into it properly x
    Outstanding Mortgage - 141,962.13 (74% LTV)
    Current end date: March 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 22nd Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Glad I'm not the only one Moominmama! Pre-loved was also recommended to me when I was buying stuff for the wedding so I might try there too, thank you for reminding me!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin