Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    • 236Posts
    • 1,493Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Bricks Not Books
    • 1st Jan 17, 10:04 AM
    Bricks Not Books 1st Jan 17 at 10:04 AM
    The first day of a New Year seems like the best time to start this diary! I was on this board under another name for a number of years, but I felt like a change of name as well as a change of diary, so here I am!

Completed on new home with OH in December, we haven't even owned it for a month yet. But we have a mortgage of £160k and we both hate being in debt, so we've already made plans to start overpaying. OH isn't in the best paid job (Civil Service) and I'm on a temporary contract, albeit with a manager who is keen to keep me on, but I hate the uncertainty of it. So I'm definitely going to be job hunting, and he will be too in coming months.

Mr VH has never lived away from home before. I moved away at university, moved back after graduation, moved out a few years later and spent 4 years as a lodger in a flat in London with a lovely couple, and then moved back with parents again. I've spent over a year sleeping on a sofa there as what was meant to be "temporary while we look for a place to rent" turned in to "let's buy a house together". Had a bit of a nightmare with the purchase, and we're still not actually in the house properly as it needs some work done on it. We've got a 5 year fix from Halifax at 2.74%, with monthly payments that are affordable. As we've never owned property before and it's been years since I had to work out budgets for bills (been paying all-inclusive rent at London and with parents) we decided to err on the side of caution. We set ourselves a realistic amount for repaying the mortage each month, and the one we eventually got came in £30 under that amount. So we're already going to OP £30 as our budget allows us that flexibility.

But even though we're not under the roof yet we still have a mortgage to pay XD First payment comes out in 3 days time and then we're on the path to 29 years of a mortgage. I'm 31 and OH will be 30 in a few months, and this is our first home. Not a forever home, we don't have children yet but want them in the future and this place is just about big enough for small ones, but would be cramped for older children.

Our house is currently going through some work due to years of being a student let, the last owners were intent on bleeding the place dry and then dumping it. We're going to look after this place, but it's taken up a lot of our savings. I've factored rebuilding the savings in to our budget, and also set up a spreadsheet to see the impact our OPs will have on the term, daily and monthly interest.

So our targets to start with are;
    • Build an emergency fund of £1000
    • Match the budgeted £30 a month overpayment through wombling, discounts, roadkill, earning extra pennies, saving loose change, and Tilly Tidies, so we’ll aim to be OPing over £60 a month.
    • Drop below the £155k mark by January 2017.
    • Enjoy living in our new home together

Fun Numbers;
    - Without overpaying we’ll go under £155k in May 2017.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll go under £155k in February 2017 – only need a little extra stretch to remove that last month!
    - Without overpaying we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in August 2020!
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll drop under £11 daily interest in February 2020.
    - Without overpaying we’ll take 29 years to pay off the mortgage.
    - With £60 a month OPing we’ll take 25 years to pay off the mortgage!
    - In order to pay it off in 20 years we’d need to OP £200 a month.
    - If we OP by the monthly interest (c. £320 a month) we’d pay it all off in…16 years!

I think we’ll stick with £60 for now XD

And as for the diary title - between me and OH we practically own a library Need to cut back on paper purchases in favour of paying off more of the house!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £866.06
Page 5
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 16th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    New Doctor Who is a woman Really pleased with that. I don't get to see women be the heroes that much, it'll be nice to know we don't constantly need rescuing

Anyway, I've had most of the past week off work! Went in to the office Monday morning to finish off a few bits and send a handover email to my manager, who was back on Tuesday. Then had lunch in a Bella Italia in Cambridge and had a long walk around the shopping centre and the street outside, got a few bits from The Works for my Christmas shoeboxes, and bought a nice top and some DVDs from some of the charity shops around there before driving home and putting my feet up.

Tuesday the car had to go in the garage for some work so I was a bit stranded for the day. Tried to get some garden sacks (our council doesn't have wheelie bins) but even though I'd registered for and printed off the voucher we were told to get, the town council office had run out of bags Quite frustrating but they told me to phone on Friday when they'd hopefully have more. Then when I went to pick up my car they told me they'd spotted a problem with my suspension as well. They're a recent lot and showed me where the problem was so they clearly weren't making it up, luckily they could squeeze me in for Friday as it really had to be fixed ASAP before I went back to commuting.

Wednesday was a day in Colchester, lots of wandering around, spot of tea and a nice cheese scone in a cafe there which helps people who've been long-term unemployed develop workplace skills. Got a few little bits in the charity shops, including some sewing bits I can post out to a friend, and a few bits from Wilko including two hanging baskets! Thursday I drove up to a garden centre, had another cheese scone for lunch, and got some plants and plant pots, and some cake to take home for me and DH. Planted four petunias in the hanging baskets and two more in a little trough pot, and three very small lavender plants in another trough pot. They're now all outside, making the place look a bit nicer. I'm hoping the lavender will grow to be a bit bigger than it currently is, the plants were only £1.50 each and there's only a few stems on each one. But I'm under the impression that it can get quite big, so hopefully they'll grow.

Finally car went back to the garage on Friday. Managed to get the garden sacks, and also registered me and DH with the local GP so that's now in progress too! Week ended up being more expensive than I hoped, especially after a recent IKEA trip as well, but it's two weeks until payday so I can be careful until then.

Hopefully my expenses will be paid out next week and that will be the next large OP to go, will also do my best to scrimp the pennies for an extra TT or two between now and 31st!

Next week off is in 6 weeks after the August bank holiday. I am counting down the time. This week off wasn't long enough DX

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £866.06
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12,840 Posts
    • 46,389 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh you've done loads. Blimey!!!! I'd need a holiday to recover. Still some really useful jobs were done and some travelling too which is great.

Glad Dr Who is a woman too. It's inspiring

Sorry about the expenses of the car, hopefully it will be fine for ages after the changes are made.

Hot weather predicted next week. Hopefully you will have fun in garden when you come home after a day at work.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 22nd Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I don't like hot weather SW so I tend to lurk indoors rather than bathe in it outside XD I just end up feeling horribly sticky and tired, so heatwaves aren't my thing. I prefer the chill of a nice autumn day.

Expenses have paid out - £78.66. Technically not clearing until Monday but I've sent the OP now as I was too excited to get it! Combined it with £5.39 from Quidco and a TT of £4.48, in total this month I've OPed £121.61 There's no happy dance emote But still, work expenses have really helped me with this month's OP, it would be well under £100 without them!

Back at work this week, had 105 emails in the inbox when I got in Monday morning, but happily most were just replies I'd been copied in to and sorting out what I needed to do was quite quick. We've got two new staff starting, one in August and one in September, so we're going to have a swap around of offices to accommodate everyone better. It'll also give us a bit of a chance to have a clear out and a bit of a tidy-up.

DH is working today and then we've got pizza for dinner tonight. I was really tired last night and fell asleep quite quickly, only woke up as he was leaving at 5:30 this morning. Fell back asleep but woke up several more time as I remember seeing 8:05 and 9:30 on the alarm clock, but woke up properly at 10:40 so I must have been more tired than I thought! Had a bit of a headache today but finally gave in and took some Neurofen, which has cleared most of it. Still can't find the energy to go and do anything productive though, so the first time I'll put some non-pyjamas on will be when I drive down to get DH from the station. I doubt I'll wear anything other than PJs tomorrow as well

I need to work out what to do for next month's OP as expenses will be miniscule, all I'm buying at the moment is milk for the office fridge. I'll double check the coffee stash on Monday though as we get through that quite quickly (I don't like it but a lot of the office does) and I can stock up on a few bags for the cupboard to boost my next claim if it's needed. My parents also dropped off the china we used for the wedding when they came round last week so I might stick some of that on a Facebook selling group. My MIL is missing a sugar bowl, a plate, and a teacup from the stuff she bought and wants to keep, but so far all I've found is the teacup so I need to check with Mum if she's still got anything at home.

I also mentioned to my boss the other day that I was thinking of selling on my wedding dress and she was quite shocked. She suggested that if I can't find room to keep it then I should get it made in to something else. I admit the lace part could be used to make a cushion cover, but frankly I keeping looking at it and just seeing £100 or so we could use for the mortgage, or some more furniture. I think saving your wedding dress used to be the "done thing" years ago as it was always a big family thing, your Mum would help you buy it, your Granny might help embellish it if you'd got something a bit plain, the veil would be passed down the generations, the dress itself was sometimes cut down to be used as a Christening gown etc. I bought mine on the internet without any kind of fitting, and none of my children are going to be Christened so it won't be used for that! I feel like it might as well go to someone who would like a nice dress (it's from Monsoon) but can't necessarily find £300 for it, getting £100 or so would be perfectly fine with me, and I'd be happy to know it meant someone else could enjoy it again.

Might have a bit of a think about it, also need to get the dress drycleaned first so that will impact how much I want to sell it for too!

Right, need to go and find something slightly productive to do so I don't feel like the day is entirely wasted, have a nice weekend everyone!

• Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 22nd Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Oh I have the same dilemma about my wedding dress - not planning on wearing it again, kids aren't christened and don't want my daughter to feel she has to wear it as fashion changes. Keeping it for now to let her dress up in it a bit when she's older but will eventually sell it I think just not sure where, I heard good things about pre-loved but never looked into it properly x
    Outstanding Mortgage - 139,880.15 (73% LTV)
    Current end date: January 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 22nd Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Glad I'm not the only one Moominmama! Pre-loved was also recommended to me when I was buying stuff for the wedding so I might try there too, thank you for reminding me!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 30th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Last day of the month tomorrow so I rounded the mortgage down and OPed another £7.66, making this month's OP a grand total of £129.27! Very happy with that, can't see it getting topped any time soon as July has been a quiet time for work expenses.

Car insurance is due at the end of this month so I've done the comparison on Quidco this evening. Cheapest is £320 Only £33 cheaper than last year, gone at the days when comparing could save you the right side of £50, I think tax on insurance companies is going up this year so of course, us punters have to pay it.

The problem is that the £320 quote came from my current insurance provider. I don't know if I can then buy it through Quidco, or do I need to phone them for it? I've also got to do it in my maiden name as my driving licence hasn't been updated yet so I'll need to pay the admin fee to update it in a few months Really need to get the driving licence sorted now I think about it, I've been procrastinating with that for too long.

So tomorrow will be the money swap, going to try allocating my monthly own-spend money to specific pots and see if that helps me keep track a bit better and save a bit more.

No idea what furniture we'll buy this month, DH has now hung our cheap Wilko bathroom mirror and the room looks so much better for having it, even though it doesn't match the rest of the suite. Next weekend we're thinking of driving up to Ipswich to visit John Lewis (it's the closest one to us as Colchester doesn't have one) with our wedding giftcards, so we might get some nice bits with those!

Onwards to August!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 5th Aug 17, 9:38 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Right, full money shuffle has now been done, including tucking away all the food and petrol money for the rest of this month. I also divvied my spending money for the month up in to specific envelopes for specific things, and so far it's really helping me see where my money is going (mostly top-up food shopping visits!) and helped me resist spending quite as much as I would have done.

I got an email from my car insurance provider with a quote for next year, which is more expensive than the quote for them that Quidco gave me So I'm going to phone up tomorrow, request my NCD certificate, and then buy my insurance with them through Quidco later in the month. Hopefully that will work and I'll still get the cashback.

Today has felt like a long day but I'm not sure why. I did get up a little earlier than normal (trying to avoid a headache like I got last week after sleeping in past 10:30). I have FINALLY found the remote for my TV (which has a built-in DVD player) in one of my boxes, so I'm now finally able to watch my DVDs! So had the TV on while I had a cuppa this morning and left DH to sleep. Once he was up we drove over to Ipswich with our John Lewis wedding giftcards. It turned out that the John Lewis there is just a "home" JL that's attached to a large Waitrose. But we still managed to spend the bulk of our cards, got four lovely big bathtowels (in raspberry pink, red, turquoise blue, and purple), and two lovely duvet sets. We're going to upgrade to a super kingsize duvet next month so we've now got two duvet sets to go with it, all my current ones are just standard double. Our bed is kingsized and having a smaller duvet is going to cause problems in winter, it already causes problems now

We stopped off at Burger King for lunch and then drove home, and I spend most of the afternoon on the sofa in front of the TV again doing bits and pieces while watching Family Guy. Oh yes, that was the house update, we've also now got a sofa but it's turned in to a bit of a nightmare. The company sent us two sofas, but no sofa arms DH had to email them (we bought through Amazon) and eventually convince them (after sending photos of the boxes we'd received) that they needed to send out arms for the sofas, but when it comes to the second sofa they just said they would contact us about collecting it after they've delivered the arms for the first one. It's taking up a lot of space, we don't have room for two sofas, I hope they pick it up quite quickly afterwards.

Tomorrow I need to cook some meatballs in tomato sauce to go in the freezer, and then make a toad in the hole in the evening for dinner.

Oh, and since my planting foray a few weeks ago my petunias have come along really well! Lots of new green growth on them and lots of extra flowers too. The lavender is still looking very small and spindly but it's had some nice flowers on and it's certainly not dying so I think it just needs more time to get going.

Anyway, after the money shuffle was done I moved over our standard £30 OP plus a TT of £1.86 to kick things off. I need to get round to posting things for sale on the Facebook group this month. I bought a game off one of the groups last week that it turns out isn't as good as I thought it would be (Sims 3 for the Nintendo DS) so I might sell it on on eBay, I don't want the person who sold it to me to think I bought it just to sell on!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Aug 17, 5:08 PM
    • 12,840 Posts
    • 46,389 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello for some reason I didnt realise you had posted the last few times so i didn't read them.

I think it is mse to sell your wedding dress - you can recoup some money and use it for something useful.
    With regard to the saga of the two sofas - crumbs. On the plus side Amazon v often let you keep the faulty items when they are small - you might end up with both!

I have lavender and petunias too. You sound luckier than me with the lavender. It wasn't growing at all in the waterlogged soil so I moved it into pots and its doing famously. The petunias are not doing so well as I don't really feed them. I have a few flowers but they look a bit dejected. I wish I had fed them a little more. Maybe there is still time!

Well done on the overpayments. Make sure you are resting I am sorry about your headaches. Sometimes they are exacerbated by caffeine intake. Hopefully they were a one off.

Your overpayments are amazing. Keep it up!!!!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 19th Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    You sound like you've got the lavender all sorted SW! I must admit I've just left the petunias to their own devices, I was watering them every day but they didn't seem too happy about it, so then I swapped to every other day, and now it's rained so frequently that I haven't had to water them myself for about 3 weeks, and they're thriving! Maybe they prefer rainwater over tap

Envelope budgeting is continuing to go well, I had to use my card once for some work purchases but since I can claim those back on expenses I think it's best if I don't use my regular spending money for them.

Sorted out my car insurance, but it cost more than anticipated. I realised that I had the start date on my insurance quote slightly wrong, so I redid it so it started on the right day. Unfortunately some time between my first quote and the second one some crime statistics must have been released, because my quote went from £305 to £435 I couldn't get it to go back to the £305 one, so in the end I paid the £435, very begrudgingly. I get £27 cash back out of it, but I was still fuming that it had jumped so much. Lesson learned for next year - when you get a low insurance quote, buy it immediately! That means that my savings had to be dipped in to, I had enough from my wages to cover the £305, but not £428. Really annoying as I want to build my savings back up until I buy more bits for the house, so that's been delayed further by this.

On the good side of things, this month's expenses got paid out - £12.37! I combined it with a TT of £1.18 and made an OP of £13.55 this evening.

Today me and DH drove over to the garden centre and had a little stroll around. I ended up photographing various seed packets that I'd like to try and grow next year. Why are there never any prices on the packets? Am I supposed to make a guess at how much carrot seeds cost compared to celery seeds? Very annoying, I can't budget appropriately if I don't have all the costs to factor in! The only thing I purchased in the end was two cheese scones from the cafe to bring home for a late lunch, we had to stop at Waitrose on the way home and buy an onion so DH got himself a lunch from there.

This evening we had a nice dinner and watched a DVD that I borrowed from work - turns out the main library has a decent DVD borrowing section with a lot of really recent releases! I borrowed Finding Dory the other week and loved it, this week it's Captain American: The Winter Soldier. I really want to borrow the new Star Trek movie, it was on the shelf when I first found the library but wasn't there this week, hope I can find it this week instead! I think I'd like us to get in to a pattern of dinner and a free DVD on Saturday nights as a cheap night in

Right, off to bed soon I think. No plans for tomorrow other than to let DH have a lie in!

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Aug 17, 8:30 AM
    • 12,840 Posts
    • 46,389 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Omg the insurance was a bit steep. I always think I would love to drive but cringe when it comes to the cost. Well done on planning for the garden next year. Hopefully the seeds wont cost much, check on fleabay as the prices can be cheaper sometimes. It's great that you get free DVDs from work a good resource.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 20th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    redofromstart
    If you have access to a Lidl they have seeds at the right time, 29p for carrrots, tomatoes (smaller seeds) and then 59p for bigger seeds (peas and beans, etc)

HTH
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 9th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Thank you for the seed tips chaps, will have to keep an eye out online and in Lidl when the spring comes around!

So August ended up with a disappointing total of £45.41 OP for the month. Only disappointing in that it was under my £60 target, I know it's still good to OP even if it's only a little bit! In the end the car insurance cost meant that I couldn't even TT towards the end of the month, really needed to focus on keeping a bit of money back so I didn't dip any further in to my savings. I had further car problems as I had to get my wheel alignment fixed, and was going to get the front tyres replaced as they're rather worn. Unfortunately at some point I've lost the wheel lock key, which meant that they couldn't remove the wheels to change tyres! Had to take the car to my local VW dealership and pay £65 to get the locks replaced, they've given me the new key in a little box so it should be harder to lose next time. Luckily my tyres are still legal, but I'll need to get them replaced before the MOT in November, so I've saved £70 this month for one tyre, and I'll use part of my next pay for the other tyre.

Had the last week of August off work, which barring the tyre issue was very nice. I managed to get rid of the armless sofa via Facebook, lovely couple came to pick it up and said they had no sofa as their flat is up some circular stairs, and it's really difficult to get furniture up it! The sofa was lovely and light without arms so hopefully they'll have got it up there fine, they offered to pay us something for it but I declined, the offer was for free and they're a young couple like us, I wouldn't have felt happy asking for money from them. It's hard enough starting out nowadays, we're both just happy that it's gone to a good home and made things a little nicer for someone else.

So far this month we've made our standard £30 OP plus a TT of £1.49, but I'm trying to be more careful as I couldn't save any money last month due to the car insurance, so need to save more this month to make up for it. We needed to get a new duvet as this one is a bit too small for our bed (kingsize bed, standard double duvet), and luckily I managed to get a super kingsize duvet using the 20% code in the MSE newsletter! Slightly over £30 in the end, which is a lovely saving as the one I was looking at on Argos was about £65 I was also going to buy some underbed boxes to store our bedsheets in but they can wait for the time being.

The change in weather means that next month we'll need to sort out a tiny tumbledryer for the kitchen as I'm now struggling to get stuff dried outside, it keeps raining when I hang things out! We also need to get a blind for the living room as once the leaves fall off the trees the people in the houses behind ours will be able to see straight in to our living room. We've also got a quote to cut back the enormous field maple in our garden, over £500 It really has grown out of control so it needs to get done, it's just a lot of money right now. The longer we leave it though the more the cost will go up, so we'll probably just have to bite the bullet in October and get it sorted. Sometimes I really hate our vendors for all the neglect they left this place with

On the plus side without that neglect we wouldn't have been able to afford the place, and it's really coming together after all the hard work of the past months. Sometimes I look around the living room or our bedroom and remember what a sad, shabby place it was when we bought it, I'm glad we could breathe new life in to it. Our little diamond in the rough is really going to sparkle by the time we're finished!

Dinner tonight is a nice Chinese fakeaway with a veritable YS feast that I've been collecting in the freezer for months, we've got crispy battered pork with sweet chili sauce, battered chicken with lemon sauce, mini Chinese BBQ ribs, the only thing not YS is the crispy duck and pancakes, but that at least was on offer at Tesco yesterday so it was £1.50 off! Going to cook up a few chips to go with it, but I doubt I'll need many of them And tomorrow we're driving over my parents for Sunday lunch, first little sister is back of to university next weekend!

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 17th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Work paid my expenses on Friday, £25.56! Also did a little TT of £1.58 so OPed £27.14 yesterday.

Also did a money shuffle as I need to swap food and petrol money out of my budgets and in to my account. Really need to remember to do this every weekend rather than every other weekend as I got in a muddle about what I had and hadn't moved across But on the plus side I've had a tight hold on my purse strings this month and so far my account is looking okay. Barring any emergency purchases, I might be able to buy the blind for the living room at the end of this month.

This month we've ended up buying lots of little things for the house, which I think is helping me be quite firm with costs. The duvet I bought with the MSE code arrived and feels lovely and soft, just need to actually put a cover on it and stick it on our bed. DH bought a bookcase and a wall hanging shelf for the living room from IKEA which got delivered today, and then my Mum picked up a hallway storage shelf when she took my sister to IKEA the other week, so DH is having an IKEA assemblage day today. We've also received my Nan's old TV, which my Dad picked up the other week, so I gave my small one to my sister to take to university as it has a built-in DVD player, and I bought a cheap DVD player from Tesco on Friday. Overall a bit of a swap around, but I'm pleased we're getting close to finishing off the living room and now making progress on the hallway. Just need a shoe storage bench next!

Me and DH had a chat about the tree and decided to split the cost 50/50, so that'll be done next month. Just need to email the company to see how long it'll take and when they can book us in, if it'll take longer than a day then we'll need to ask the in-laws to come round and let the tree surgeons in for us.

Work is getting back to normal after the summer quiet. Had a couple of bad journeys in over the past few weeks, working from home on Fridays is an absolute godsend.

Dinner tonight is pork and chorizo casserole, going to start cooking it around 3:30 and then it can sit on the cooker on the lowest heat for a couple of hours. Will serve with crispy cubed potatoes, and some steamed broccoli and green beans. Love that autumn is now here, I find it a lot easier to cook in colder weather.

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 1st Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Been paid and me and DH spent the money shuffling our money around, I've paid the EDF and council tax bills and he's sent over his half of them, plus his share of the food and mortgage payments, and I've moved the basics in to my savings account, won't move much else until the mortgage payment has gone.

September's total OP ended up being £70.96, quite happy with that as my savings are also looking a little bit better too. My final spend of the month was some gorgeous new dark grey velvet cushions for the living room, we only have one cushion on the sofa at the moment and I keep stealing it from DH so this should prevent future theft XD

This month is going to be expensive but at least it's mostly planned spends. £500 to get the tree under control, the company is booked in to do the work on the 20th. Also need to get my tyres replaced, saved the £70 from last month for one tyre so just need £70 from this month, and the time to get it done! Also need to buy a blind for the living room and a tumble dryer for the kitchen, but again I've known the costs of these for a while so it's not going to be a shock. Just a nuisance.

Yesterday me and DH drove over to Halstead and had lunch in Prezzo before going to for a walk around the town and a little nosy in the church. I've driven through it quite a bit but never stopped so it was nice to have a look around. The walk was in my "50 walks in Essex" book, which has got several other walks in the area that I'd like to do in October and November, if only to encourage us to get out of the house at weekends.

Right, time for some lunch. Dinner tonight is chicken breasts wrapped in parma ham, served with crispy cubed potatoes, steamed baby corn, green beans and little broccoli (for DH as I'm terrible with my veggies).

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 8th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    One of the things I love about this house is just how peaceful it is on a Sunday morning. Woke up well before DH so crept downstairs with the laptop and my book and spent a few hours in the living room with the window open slightly and several cups of tea. Bliss.

I keep looking around the living room and the hallway and our bedroom, remembering how sad and empty and neglected the place was when we bought it. Now it's slowly coming together and looking more like a home, I'm glad we saw the potential in it when we had our first viewing.

Unfortunately some parts of it are going to have to wait a bit longer to get done. I had to get my front tyres replaced on Friday and ended up going for Goodyears as I do so much driving I need something solid and reliable. They were a step up from the ones I'd originally enquired about, so that's £192 of rubber now on the front wheels That combined with the cost of cutting back the tree means no blinds for the living room, and no tumble dryer just yet either. Luckily Friday was a nice sunny day so the laundry dried outside. I fear there will be fewer sunny days in the coming weeks so a dryer will be a necessity by November.

It also means this will probably be another month of frugal OPs. Sent off £30.42 yesterday (the 0.42 is a TT). Handed in my expenses claim form last week so can expect just over £24 in around two week's time. Only need to find £6 between then and the end of November. Really need to sort out the wedding china and get some of that up on Facebook.

So much to do, so little time, which is even less time now that traffic is back to normal thanks to all the schools going back Oh well, I knew it would be bad when I decided to move so far away from work. Will have to start looking seriously for something closer.

Dinner tonight will be roast beef with potatoes, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower florets. Love roast beef so really looking forward to it.

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 12,840 Posts
    • 46,389 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello VH, it sounds like such a happy home!

I know it is a little frustrating as buying everything is so expensive but you are doing everything correctly and I am sure that it allows you to think carefully about the products you buy which is moneysaving.

Well done on cooking the meal. It sounds yum.

Sorry about the traffic I hope there is a nearby job you can apply for. Driving would drive me nuts!!!!!!(inserted rubbish joke there just as well I'm not a comedian)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,431Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin