Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 24,524Posts
    • 51,901Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 28
    • VALM
    • By VALM 29th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,970 Posts
    • 36,480 Thanks
    VALM
    I have been absent too but want to get back into reading. Am presently reading How Not To Be A Boy by Robert Webb. Very honestly written and love his dry sense of humour.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • Syman
    • By Syman 29th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 6,009 Thanks
    Syman
    I always get books at christmas.
    DW and DD thought it would be amusing to buy me the George Bradshaw guides (Michael Portillo has done a few TV series based on them) as part of an in-joke about my liking for steam trains and history

Clicky

Joke is on them.....Fantastic reference books that i have wanted for ages.

Also

This one is good fun. Can see lots of rainy evenings in playing along.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 5/48
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Just finished reading Jig & Reels by Joanne Harris which is a collection of short stories, that I enjoyed reading and found easy to digest 8.5/10 from me
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 27,594 Thanks
    Primrose
    Lots of recommendations. You can tell Christmas TV has been lousy when everybody has been busy reading over the festive season!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 30th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,866 Posts
    • 59,382 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

My Christmas reading from the library included this:

Imagine living in a very unusual and minimalist house which captures data on your every movement, and being subject to hundreds of rules simply for the 'privilege' of living there, then falling in love with its strange architect, without knowing that all this has happened before, to the last girl who lived there.

The reader knows, because the book consists of alternating chapters of their two stories.

I liked it, it has a nice economic style, and I read it over a couple of nights. My only problem was that occasionally in the middle of a chapter, I forgot whose story I was actually in...
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Jan 18 - grocery/household to 14/1 = 38.42

• CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 30th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Book 54:

6/10. This was a fun anthology of lists, nothing serious but I did discover a new (to me) word that applies to me: Tsundoku. It is the Japanese term for acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them . If only there were more hours on the day!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Omg, Vfm, this word so describes me - I just need to remember it. I've just mentioned it to DH and he was howling with laughter as he remembers when we first started courting and I introduced him to my bookcases. One being full of books I'd read and one equally as full of books yet to be read. Oh dear. Whoever would have thought there was a word for this.

I'm currently reading David Niven's The Moon is a Balloon - recommended by a friend who then went on to buy it for me for Christmas. I can almost hear him reading it out loud in his rather English distinguished voice. This is a real book that I wind down with of an evening, just before I go to bed - takes me away from white light etc.

In the day and when I'm travelling, the Kindle comes into play and I'm currently reading Harriet Evan's Happily Ever After which I'm really enjoying. I've read a few of hers and find that whilst they are really easy to get into, they usually have a theme to follow - this one deals with alcoholism, not in a nasty way but more of an awareness of the characters background.

I'm waiting for the Goodreads.com reading challenge to come out for 2018 and I'll join that for the new year, although I don't know how many books to set as my target. I did 40 this year but this can be improved on.

Happy reading to all.
    Last edited by CurlyTop; 31-12-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Wrong author !
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 30th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 23,252 Posts
    • 60,525 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I’m thoroughly enjoying The Glovemakers's Daughter, by Leah Fleming.

Set in the 17th century, a young Quaker girl has to make her own way in the world, to the States eventually, but I’m not there yet.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 30th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I have just finished reading The Gift by Cecilia Ahern. I loved this book so much I read it over less than 24 hours (we all have to sleep). 9.5/10 from me
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 31st Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Oops, I'm getting my authors muddled. Harriet Evans wrote Happily Ever After.... still really good.

Need to find an author whose surname begins with F on my kindle as my next book to read. As I have so many on there, I didn't know where to start so came up with one author A-Z and will then go back to start.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 31st Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 24,524 Posts
    • 51,901 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 56:

6/10. This should be labelled as Steve Jobs for dummies, as it offered a flavour of the man and what drove him, and is an ideal book to motivate children. Of course I have the Walter Isaacson biography, which I haven’t yet had a chance to read. Maybe next year?

Book 57:

8/10. I loved this book as the subject is of interest, but can appreciate it won’t float everyone’s boat!

Book 58:

8/10- as above!

Book 59:

6/10 - a few valuable insights, but far too many lists of trivia for my liking. This book does well when it gets the the point.

And finally, book 60:

7/10 - essential reading given my circumstances! Much I knew, but there were a few insider tips that made it well worth reading.

There have also been plenty of part-read books in 2017, just about scraped my target 60 in though despite being consumed with other things this month!

Signing off for the year now, see you on the other side...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 31st Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4,866 Posts
    • 59,382 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Happy New Year to all bookworms - hope 2018 brings lots of good books our way.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Jan 18 - grocery/household to 14/1 = 38.42

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I have read Lost Christmas by David Logan and it was a really enjoyable easy read. I would give it 9.5/10
    • gt568
    • By gt568 6th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    gt568
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holocaust-New-History-Laurence-Rees/dp/0241297001/ref=la_B001K8I1XE_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=15152525 20&sr=1-1&refinements=p_82%3AB001K8I1XE%2Cp_n_binding_brow se-bin%3A492563011

The Holocaust: A new history.

Very harrowing, but necessary reading.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • VALM
    • By VALM 6th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 3,970 Posts
    • 36,480 Thanks
    VALM
    I have today finished How Not To Be A Boy by Robert Webb. It came across as a bit of a heavy handed study of sexism which I suspect is to flesh out his rather ordinary life. Did find it honest and funny too though.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • gt568
    • By gt568 20th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    gt568
    This.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Presidents-Gardens-MacLehose-Press-Editions/dp/0857056786

Very good.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,371Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter